Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2019, 23:03   #16

re: Fun-to-drive car under 5.5 lakhs?

A Figo 1.5 TDCi will serve your requirements. Try finding one with less than 100k kms. The thrill you would get from it is unparalleled. Further, the TDCi is a reliable engine and lasts more than 200k kms. The cost of maintenance is also less. While polo or abarth etc. might be better performance but they have some high service costs.
zing007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 23:38   #17
BHPian

If I were in your shoes, I would have bought one of the following cars:

1. New Ford Figo 1.5 TDCi base model. It is a fun to drive, fuel efficient and a reliable car and does not costs to much for its regular maintenance. Yes, it is not like the older Fords but it is much better than its rivals.
2. New MS Ignis 1.2. We all know and admire the refinement of this 4 cylinder K series engine. The car may not be well built but is inexpensive to maintain and the engine surely is a bliss to drive in the city
3. New MS Swift 1.2 LXi. Comes with the same 4 cylinder engine and feels good to drive.
4. Second hand Honda Civic Manual in good condition.
5. Tata Safari. Just because I love it too much. It may not be fast or agile, but it really is a fun to drive vehicle. Don't believe me? Drive it once

Considering the city traffic conditions, I think the first three will be the best bet. Additionally, you will get a new car compared to the other options and you will spend much less on their maintenance.
Old 4th December 2019, 09:33   #18

Seeing your options, I would say go for the polo GT TDI.

The other cars even though good have been a tad bit unreliable and I saw the polo for sale it was bought from the same dealership I bought my Vento from about 6 years back and my car had run about 1,30,000 kms the day I sold it this has JUST RUN 30,000 it’s a steal at that price.

Volkswagen engines are very reliable but the only thing is you can use the car max only for another 3-4 years. TBH if you do choose to buy it your car won’t need much maintenance. Volkswagen changes its timing belts and anything else at 60k kms+. I never got it changed because when I had it they only changed it when it crossed 1 lakh. Another thing to keep in mind is good mileage, and GT TDI can always be remapped and gets even more fun to drive.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th December 2019 at 10:41. Reason: Corrected typos, punctuation and formatting. Please space out your points to make is easier to read, instead of a single long paragraph. Thanks!
Samuel_rabindra is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 4th December 2019, 10:29   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanttalwar View Post
Ford Figo 1.5 tdci

Like the power and torque on tap but handling and build quality is not as good as the older generation.
Go for this eyes closed. I tell this why ? :

- Low service cost, Fun to Drive, Thanks to low resale value, for 5- 5.5 Lakhs you will get a 2015 - 2016 Model as well !
Old 4th December 2019, 11:38   #20
BHPian

My pick would be the Fiesta 1.6. You can get it at a price that's way below your budget and it is super reliable. Excellent mod potential too. See if you can get a used S version. Looks absolutely gorgeous.

Last edited by speedmunster : 4th December 2019 at 11:39. Reason: Adding
Old 4th December 2019, 11:42   #21
BHPian

Skoda Laura 1.8 checks all your boxes, if you know a good mechanic then the maintenance shouldn't be very expensive as well.
dhruvdangi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 12:51   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fun-to-drive car under 5.5 lakhs?

If buying new, just go for the Tiago JTP. You'll have to stretch your budget, but it'll be worth it. Would also strongly recommend the Figo / Freestyle 1.5L Diesel (used & new). It's a lot of fun.

If buying used, avoid CBUs & European cars when your budget is 5 lakhs. I'd suggest a Honda City 1.5L petrol or the newest Civic you can buy. Both have lovely engines, are mod-friendly and fun to high-revv.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 14:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanttalwar View Post
We need a manual car for 5-5.5 lakhs.The car will be doing 30-40 kilometres in Delhi everyday.The car should not be very expensive to maintain ,safe, have mod potential and most importantly put a smile on my face when I drive it.No particular requirements as we have more cars for family and highway use.

Cars considered -

Polo GT TDI

Good engine, german build quality with a lot of potential.

Have hardly found any in the used market,looking for the facelift models after 2014. Found one on the team bhp classifieds.

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...gen/Polo.html/

I talked to the owner and the car has been remapped to 130 bhp and 300 nm and all service records are available. Is it a good buy?
What can be more fun than this. 300 Nm of torque is absolute fun. And Polo is a safe car as well. No other in this price range can be considered safe. Agreed you can buy a Swift 1.3 and mod it. But that will take effort and a lot of time.
Since you do have other cars and this is not gonna be your primary driver. You can consider buying this. And if you have the complete service history. I think you are safe.
Old 4th December 2019, 14:34   #24
BHPian

Contrary to public opinion on Swift 1.3L, I would recommend buying a new car or at the max buying 5-7 year old less driven, pre-worshiped car.

I just sold my 2005 model 1.3L Swift recently and it treated us really well and we loved every bit of it till the last day, it needed to make way for some thing newer.
Don't get me wrong, the engine is no bad at all but when you are searching for a pre-worshiped 10-14 year old car, you just dont need to see the engine but entire package. for e.g. the following things ought to have been changed as it would have outlived its life by miles.

a) Battery
b) Tyre's
c) Suspension front and Jumpers rear
d) Drive Shaft
e) Clutch Plate, Pressure plate, Fly-wheel
f) Sagging Seats - though not a deal breaker but definitely no where closer to new. MGP sells new one's but it comes with a price
g) Misc expenses like, fuel pipe leaks, engine belts wearing out, HL TL fading and door opener levers cracking, radiator leaks possible, Wiper blades etc.
h) Dents, rust and repair
i) Windshields scratches

How do you ensure that the car you are looking for has all these things new and even if they are changed, they are no closer to what a new car comfort looks like.

PS: My car had each of these things changed and it was tad short of 6 digit expense

Last edited by Cooltronics : 4th December 2019 at 14:36.
Cooltronics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 16:31   #25
BHPian

How about a Chevy Cruze? You can get one pretty cheap and that torquey engine has its upside. On the other hand reliability might not be its strong point.

Also a pre owned Accord V6 might be spicy yet cheap to procure.
Old 4th December 2019, 16:39   #26
BHPian

I would prefer Ignis. It is a small family car with good peppy engine and easy to drive around in City roads.
My friend owns an Ignis AT and I was amazed at the response and tall gearing it has.
Old 4th December 2019, 16:51   #27
BHPian

Can understand your confusion. Was in a similar position, however had only one car in my mind, which was the Civic. Got a very very nicely maintained car way under the budget that you have specified. Brings a smile to my face after every drive.

The saved cost upfront also enabled me to completely overhaul the sound system of the car and every drive is an aural pleasure, whether with music on or off
Old 4th December 2019, 22:06   #28
BHPian

Am piggybacking on this thread since I've got a similar set of requirements now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If buying new, just go for the Tiago JTP. You'll have to stretch your budget, but it'll be worth it. Would also strongly recommend the Figo / Freestyle 1.5L Diesel (used & new). It's a lot of fun.

Love the JTP, but would love to hear your views on the reliability of a Tata product and that of a 3 cylinder mill in a relatively high state of tune. My friend was dissuading me to go with it stating that this is not a proven engine for reliability.

Have a Figo 1.5 Diesel at home and that car is such a sweetie. Am also thinking about the Figo 1.5 automatic. Isn't that the best of both worlds? Good in traffic, but no slouch when you give it the stick too? I'm wondering perhaps the Figo 1.5 automatic would be a more balanced purchase than the Tiago JTP (which reportedly doesn't like being in the traffic much) and because I've shifted to Bangalore- a city renowned for its great roads and excellent traffic discipline.

Like some others here, I also found the Ignis to be fun to drive. Not the most well built car, but I loved revving the engine and putting it through the paces. Would like your take on this too.
Old 4th December 2019, 23:25   #29
BHPian

I think we have forgot to include the Mitsubishi Outlander to this thread.

Extremely refined driving, macho road presence, silent yet power-packed engine, 4WD which makes it city as well as off-road beast.

The best part of all is you can get a 2010 model with less than 50,000 KMS on the odo for under 6 lakhs.

I am sure, one will not regret their choice.
Old 5th December 2019, 01:12   #30
BHPian

From your considered options, it seems you are more inclined towards Hatchbacks and Sedans. Here are the options I would have considered:

1) 3rd Gen City 1.5 L Petrol - The best City to be launched in our market, still looks good, decent build quality and that Vtec engine is great to drive

2) Skoda Rapid Diesel - If you are not worried about Skoda ASS though it's improving these days, Rapid Diesel will be fun to drive, great fuel economy and timeless German design. Overall, a VFM package

3) Hyundai i20 Diesel - Good to drive 1.4 L Diesel engine, great looks and nice interiors along with reliable Hyundai ASS. A safe bet.

Most Viewed