Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2019, 15:02   #1
BHPian

Used car for 20 lakhs in Bangalore

In the Bangalore used car market, what car one can go for 20L budget?

The requirements:
Seat comfort for all, non discontinued variants, spare parts availability, memory seats, Power, Smooth Automatic with paddle shifters, decent FE on highways (above 10) and most importantly shouldn't leave me stranded on the middle of nowhere even after proper care. Panoramic roof would be great but not a deal breaker.

Rejected X1 X line (looked for facelifted 2016 models) for lack of thigh support and mediocre back seat comfort. Though I didn't find the need for paddle shifters during my test drive, I may find the need for it later on and it would have been great if there's one. M Sport prices are way beyond my budget and even X line doesn't come anywhere close to 20L in Bangalore.

Jetta TDI AT (2015 and above). Very good VFM car, though ingress and egress is not easy for me, I can ignore this for the VFM point. Parts availability is the major issue. Seats ain't comfortable and my Linea provides much better comfort than this!

2016 and above Superb TDI AT is great in features ( love that cool ventilated seats) but steering feedback isn't that great and I find X1's steering feedback much better than this. Except that, it's a great car. Ingress, egress also easier and cabin space is tremendous. Sudden battery death, Highway stranding are some worries here but I don't see much alternatives other than this car.

Recently, came across 2013 530d 90k first owner car for around 22L and then went through GTO's thread again. What a car! Everything is great except the space saver wheel occupying already mediocre boot space. We used to stuff Linea's boot to the neck and our few attempts to reduce the baggage came out unsuccessful. In the 5 years of ownership with Linea on Michelin tyres, never I got stranded due to punctured tyre. So, if I'm going for this car, either I have to reduce baggage or leave the spare tyre at home.

On gear shifts, DSG shifts are very much noticeable and I used the paddle shifters quite often but in X1, I didn't find the need at all as the gear shifts are nearly unnoticeable, pure bliss shifts.

99% of my drives are on highways and when the roads are free from traffic and if I feel energetic at the same time, I tend to increase the speed. The only place where I go at relaxed speeds or at snail pace are when we go through beautiful landmarks, forests, Ghat sections.

So, I'm contemplating between Superb and 530d I believe! Even TSI AT is a good choice (13.5L for 2016 L&K ) but my driving habit mentioned above will fetch less than 10 kmpl.
Any other contenders to consider!

Many Thanks in advance.
GladRagu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 09:49   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Used car for 20 lakhs in Bangalore

Gosh, cars are so expensive in Bangalore! If I was in your shoes, I would strongly consider the following:

- VW Jetta: A true all-rounder. My perfect D1 segment sedan.

- Also consider the VW Passat (current model). Damn, damn good car.

- Skoda Superb: Buy over the Jetta if you need the additional rear legroom (at the cost of driving pleasure due to long wheelbase).

- I cannot recommend buying a 90,000 km 530d (or any 90k km German car for that matter!). Remember, a used 20-lakh German can quickly become a 25-lakh German car when expensive repairs pop up, not to mention the headaches.

- If brand or body style aren't important, then an Innova 2.8L Automatic or Hexa AT seem to suit your needs perfectly!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 10:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Gosh, cars are so expensive in Bangalore! If I was in your shoes, I would strongly consider the following:
I would like to add one more option to confuse you. I think apart from the brand, the CITY VX CVT Sunroof will serve all your needs (I sense you are looking for a sedan).

Its got great space, awesome reliability, all the essential bells and whistles, great boot space, automatic with paddle shifters, cruise control. And you can buy new AND SAVE 5 LAKHS!

I think with a 20 lakhs budget, you should not completely ignore the new car market!
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 11:16   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladRagu View Post
In the Bangalore used car market, what car one can go for 20L budget?

The requirements:
most importantly shouldn't leave me stranded on the middle of nowhere even after proper care. Panoramic roof would be great but not a deal breaker.
A 2015 or later Camry would be a great choice; it might not meet all your requirements but will be a reliable performer.

or

If you get a well kept even 10 year+ LX470, even that would be worth considering
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 12:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- VW Jetta: A true all-rounder. My perfect D1 segment sedan.

- Also consider the VW Passat (current model). Damn, damn good car.

- Skoda Superb: Buy over the Jetta if you need the additional rear legroom (at the cost of driving pleasure due to long wheelbase).

- I cannot recommend buying a 90,000 km 530d (or any 90k km German car for that matter!). Remember, a used 20-lakh German can quickly become a 25-lakh German car when expensive repairs pop up, not to mention the headaches.

- If brand or body style aren't important, then an Innova 2.8L Automatic or Hexa AT seem to suit your needs perfectly!
Thanks a lot GTO for saving me from probable disaster with high mileage 530d purchase.

I looked for 530d mainly for the 6 cylinders and the low mileage ones are costlier here in Bangalore.

I bought one 2015 Jetta AT nearly two months ago for a very good price. Due to some issues, that still didn't reach my hands and subsequently lost interest in that car (more on this later on a proper thread). So, thought of going for another car with more power, features but based on your inputs, I guess it's better to sort the issues and get hold of that Jetta.

I was looking for 2016 and above models of Passat (hardly any in market), Superb but couldn't get any at a reasonable rate in Bangalore. Same with Innova 2.8 ZX AT as well.

2017 Hexa AT top-end is at around 13 in Bangalore but as of now, I've decided to stick with Jetta.

Hope parts availability shouldn't be an issue with Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I would like to add one more option to confuse you. I think apart from the brand, the CITY VX CVT Sunroof will serve all your needs (I sense you are looking for a sedan).
You're spot on, I'm more inclined towards sedans but not okay with the city. Did two test drives and the high speed stability isn't confidence inspiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
A 2015 or later Camry would be a great choice; it might not meet all your requirements but will be a reliable performer.
or
If you get a well kept even 10 year+ LX470, even that would be worth considering
Hardly any Camry in market and not comfortable with lexus as I don't have the time or knowledge to handle if any issues come up with this imported car.
Old 11th December 2019, 21:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Recently (Mar 19) I bought a used Sep 2016 Jetta. The best part was that the car was VW owned and had all the service history available with the dealer in Pune. All the service record was impeccable being a corporate (That too VW owned) car. I closed the deal at 12.9 for a 61K run car which had its 60K KM service done (Kinda costly) just 2 months prior. It even has new (10K run) tyres, so overall it was kind of a good deal.

This is my 2nd Jetta in a row and trust me there is a reason for this. I feel Jetta is the perfect example of "Affordable luxury". You get to experience 70-80% of the luxury (A4/320D etc), yet spend half on the overall upkeep. Its even mod friendly which further sweetens the equation.

Give it a thought !!
neoonwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 00:15   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

As GTO said, try and see if you can get a Passat in your budget - it is that much nicer a vehicle than the Jetta.

Also, since the 530Ds in good condition are out of budget, but something you're open to exploring - why not look at the A4 & 320D as well?

If none of the above excite you / not available in budget; the Jetta is a brilliant Plan B!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks