Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2019, 15:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: The quietest petrol automatic car around 10 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
It can be a hatch. Or a sedan. Or a S/M/L/C-UV. It can also be that awesome car which'll fade away once the BS-VI effect kicks in. Or it can be the one to watch-out-for around the sweet December deals. We're looking at owning this one for at least 7 years. .
Please do check out the Honda Amaze Petrol CVT too. IMO, it's a very under-rated and VFM car, with its V and VX variants being about 50k cheaper than the corresponding Jazz variants. A colleague has it and gets approx. 12-14 kmpl in Pune city traffic and 16-18 kmpl on highways.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 23:01   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyDriver View Post
If " quietest cabin" is the most important criteria then there is nothing that comes closest to cars from Hyundai's stable....
Thanks for your input. Yes the new i20 will be something. Hopefully they announce it soon as the so-termed i20-slayer Tata Altroz has arrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revverend View Post
You should definitely consider the Jazz CVT as it ticks 3 out of 4 boxes on the requirements you are looking for. Honda petrols are known for good NVH and Jazz is a breeze to drive....
Thanks. I went to the Honda Showroom in the evening. It falls on my way to home. Saw the VX CVT being prepped up for a buyer. It does tick a lot of boxes.

The salesman also hinted at some offer coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
I think you should seriously consider the Yaris. The 'acoustic & vibration control window glasses' should keep the cabin quiet...
Just went through Powerdift's Yaris/City/Verna comparo and quickly checked the price. I think they'd have to offer some serious discount for it to be near my budget radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
One thing to keep in mind is, in general, the CVTs have typical 'whine'. This is obvious at the low speeds as the engine noise is less at that moment.
Noted. Saw the hosts mention it for Amaze and Datsun Go's video review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Quiet cabin and a car that lasts for a long time , I would go with Hyundai....
Ah. Agree with all your points, sire. Which car would be your pick though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Please do check out the Honda Amaze Petrol CVT too....
Checked it at the same afore-mentioned Honda Showroom. Even the saleman said that the CVT on Amaze performs better than it does on Jazz. We'll be test-driving both these cars.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th December 2019 at 13:32. Reason: Please DO NOT quote full-length posts, esp. while multi-quoting several posts in one response. It hinders mobile user experience.
Old 5th December 2019, 23:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

I think you can have a look at the Amaze CVT. It's priced perfectly within your budget and it's a 'no-nonsense', sensible sedan for hatchback money.
Attached Thumbnails
The quietest petrol automatic car around 10 lakhs-amaze.jpg  

Last edited by Durango Dude : 5th December 2019 at 23:13.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 23:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
I think you should seriously consider the Yaris. The 'acoustic & vibration control window glasses' should keep the cabin quiet
This is available in top VX variant only and cost very high.

My suggestions:
Honda Jazz VX CVT or Yaris J CVT

Jazz advantage:
Spacious
Decent boot space
Honda drive train

Yaris advantage:
Bigger engine
7 airbags
Bigger boot
Toyota reliability

If possible extend budget, bargain bit hard, and go for Yaris J CVT. It is easy to drive around in city and decent on highways. Please note that J variant is the base model and do not have all the options.

Last edited by Latheesh : 5th December 2019 at 23:42.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 00:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

With exactly similar budget and requirements I picked up the Jazz CVT earlier this year. With discounts the VX CVT exclusive edition(don't think it's available anymore) cost me 10.6L back in April,2019. Now the discounts are only better so you can pick up a VX CVT for maybe around/under 10L.

The cabin is super quiet thanks to the iVtec and CVT combo that's tried and tested.
It's a safe car. Amaze scored 4* & Jazz is better put together in every respect.
Mileage i get in city is 11-12kmpl by T2T method. ORR and arterial roads around 7-8AM/3-4PM office hours.
Has most of the usable features like Apple carplay, cruise control, paddle shifters, electric ORVMs, reverse parking cam/sensors etc.
And it's ultra spacious for a hatch inspite of being narrow in terms of exterior width compared to Baleno/i20

Been 7 months and 8000kms now. The experience has been pretty pleasant

Last edited by SoumenD : 6th December 2019 at 00:35.
SoumenD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 06:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This requirement is primarily for my wife who drives in the infamous bumper to bumper traffic of ORR-Bellandur area in Bangalore.

1. It'll be driven by her during the weekdays and me over weekends.
2. Daily run of this car will be under 20 kms.
3. We do at least 2 road trips to the usual ex-Bangalore destinations:

And the following is what we want from the car.

1. Super quiet cabin
2. Great automatic transmission
2. Good seating comfort for long drives and in-city particularly
3. Good fuel efficiency - I would like these figures to be in at least lower double digits in city driving conditions.

We're looking at owning this one for at least 7 years.
Since the car is primarily for your wife, you first priority should be safety. And since it will be running in Bangalore, you need something that is immune to minor nicks and bangs from the 2-wheelers. For the highway you need something that is super fun, stable and safe.

There is only one car that satisfies these criteria - the Polo GT TSi. It will be about 11.5 lakhs on-road but the price difference is negligible in EMI terms. No car in this segment can beat it's solidity and cocooning nature. It's super silent on the inside and very comfy for the long waits in traffic. The sheet metal is THICK and paint depth is deep, so you don't have to bother about minor scratches.

The automatic transmission is the best out there and if you are worried about the DSG failure issue, then VW now offers 7 years warranty on the car. But that gearbox, while being convenient for you wife during the weekdays, will plaster a stupid smile across your face during the weekends.

Now for the cons:
The back seat is not that spacious. Mileage will be lower than what you are expecting (maybe just under 10), but that should not matter for 20kms a day.

PS: If you are into modding, then the Polo has unlimited potential.
samaspire is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 07:40   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
There is only one car that satisfies these criteria - the Polo GT TSi..
Yes I totally agree with Sam. The Polo GT TSi AT leaves all of its competition streets behind and shows them a clean pair of heels.
Indeed I would have loved to get this beautiful car for my parents, and my Dad loved the responsive DSG AT but sadly, my Mum finds it a bit too low to get in and out of on a regular basis. Like it or not, the European quality shows through, these cars (if maintained well), will not even have a rattle a few years down the line.
I would look no further than this car, for your specific stated needs.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 08:03   #23
BHPian

Looking at the parameters, i would say look at the amaze/jazz twins if you would want to drive conservatively. GT TSI for a much more engaging drive.
Amaze diesel would be great value for money in terms of mileage and even the low end pull and shifts are pretty decent.

1. Super quiet cabin (IMO Ritz fares poorly in NVH department in city and terribly when you hit the highway.)
Amaze/jazz petrol cvts

2. Great automatic transmission
Gt tsi followed by amaze diesel CVT and then the amaze/jazz petrol CVTs

2. Good seating comfort for long drives and in-city particularly
This has to be realised following test drives as it might vary for different builds.

3. Good fuel efficiency - I would like these figures to be in at least lower double digits in city driving conditions.
Amaze diesel CVT and Baleno CVT if petrol
vamsi2390 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 08:35   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The quietest petrol automatic car around 10 lakhs

If NVH is your top priority, look no further than the Hyundais! My strongest memory of the i20 media drive is being handed a car by Hyundai, sitting in the driver's seat and thinking that the engine is off. I then looked at the revv counter . Damn thing was running, but it was completely noise & vibration free.

That said, I would suggest picking a car based on factors other than it being the "quietest". Most 10-lakh cars have acceptable NVH levels today and among all the things that make a great car, absolute sound insulation isn't perhaps at the top of the list. I'd pay a lot more attention to engine + gearbox, looks, safety, suspension, interior quality etc.

P.S. Next-gen i20 is coming in 2020!
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 08:53   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ah. Agree with all your points, sire. Which car would be your pick though?
Verna and i20 , there is Venue as well as Creta too. Everything has petrol automatic. i20 and Verna is due for a refresh as well.

While your criteria on NVH are important, I suggest you choose a car that it's potential driver wants to have and feels comfortable driving around. My guess is that it's going to be a KIA Seltos!! It has all Hyundai qualities.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 09:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Wife does have a thing for Maruti.Hope it's a quiet car.
Not sure about the road-trip capabilities too. The dent popped back to normal, but yeah, I get your point. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Warning against Maruti's, .
Baleno is not the best as far as insulation is concerned, IMO Tata ZEST has better insulation.
But you can make it quiet by damping.As mentioned earlier it fits all your requirements to the "T".

Panels above front wheels feel brittle, but all other panels are ok.My car is 3.5 years old and I am happy overall, and feel this is small thing which can be ignored.

Also thick metal does not Guarantee safety IMO,else Padmini and Amby would have been safest.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 09:16   #27
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 6th December 2019 at 13:59.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 6th December 2019, 09:31   #28
BHPian

The Honda Amaze CVT in its petrol avatar is great with a smooth shifting transmission, but lacks some sound deadening insulation. Try one of the Hyundai automatics, especially the Venue DCT since it excels on the NVH and refinement front. The pairing with the 1.0l T-GDI makes it pretty good to drive. Hope this helps.
BZ25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 09:35   #29

In my personal experience, NVH performance of Hyundai Creta is exceptional.
You could also consider other CVT's in the Hyundai lineup.
Old 6th December 2019, 09:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

While I appreciate your requirement of Least Noise and Vibration, My thought is, NVH does not work in silos. The NVH that you get is a combination of Car NVH + Road NVH

While you can opt for a car with 0 NVH( Though impossible theoretically), you will still get NVH of the road on which car runs.

On Indian Roads (I am not blaming or complaining), the NVH is quite high.

So, I suggest you adjust to the land dynamics and set the expectation yourself rather than looking for an Ideal car.

Having said that, the least NVH car I have experienced is Hyundai cars.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks