Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2020, 10:32   #31

re: What Rs. 11 lakh car to gift my sister at her wedding? EDIT: Gifted a Ford EcoSport

I would suggest the Honda Jazz CVT considering everything that you have mentioned - A spacious automatic hatchback with the reliability of Honda backing it (10 year warranty too) , especially for Bangalore roads. Comes within your budget and looks good too.

Also, congrats on being such a fantastic brother
navaneo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 10:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: What Rs. 11 lakh car to gift my sister at her wedding? EDIT: Gifted a Ford EcoSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
  • Budget is 11L
  • She has no preference whatsoever
  • Fiance isn't saying anything about it either
  • Need the vehicle delivered by mid-April
As you are gifting to your sister, I would say go for Petrol Automatic, unless her driving is too much to think of diesel. In petrol automatic, currently we have few options. Tata Nexon is good option here as its only car with 5 star safety rating & also it's a good, spacious car, quite comfortable too. You can also wait for Altroz to be launched, looks very promising car and also she will feel nice to have something very new, exciting in the market.

All the best to you and your sister for her marriage in advance! I wish every sister should get brother like you

Last edited by aniketi : 10th January 2020 at 10:55.
Old 10th January 2020, 10:55   #33
BANNED

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 28th February 2020 at 16:57.
TREKKER WOODS is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th January 2020, 10:59   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Honda City, eyes closed. Manual version falls well within your budget, the CVT if that is preferred and your budget can be slightly extended. Creamy and powerful petrol engine, acres of space, superb from and rear seat comfort, stellar reliability, efficient engine and best of all - blazing performance from the iVTEC engine. Not to mention, looks fantastic as a gift as well!
Second this suggestion: Honda City.
Till date, it's still one of the most all-rounded sedan in its segment and the brand name stills appeals to a large audience.
When everyone seems to be gravitating towards SUVs, I believe Honda City still has a charm that's not lost on the Indian population. It will definitely be a great wedding gift.
Old 10th January 2020, 11:27   #35
BHPian

Your sister is very lucky indeed. If i were in your position, i would have gone for any compact suv's preferably ecosport. It is a real vfm product and cater's to most of the requirements of urban life. Plus it is a tried and tested product in this segment.
Old 10th January 2020, 11:34   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

My choices will be

Scross (handsome discounts)
Venue
Figo S
Amaze (if looks don't matter)

Infact you can save some cash on the Ford and gift a honeymoon package

I wouldn't suggest shady A.S.S like the VAG or Tatas.

Ciaz/City are too big to be driven in Bangalore B2B traffic, though they are extremely reliable, spacious, comfortable no nonsense cars. I find EcoSport dated now.

PS: a lot of you guys feel the sister is lucky. She indeed is to have a brother who is willing to shell over a million on her.

It is quite common down south to gift the groom (aka dowry in most cases) a car during marriage. My friend got gifted an Amaze diesel last year.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 10th January 2020 at 11:57.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 11:37   #37
BHPian

“The excellence of a gift lies in its appropriateness rather than in its value.”
― Charles Dudley Warner

di1in , you are one of a kind, thoughtful, loving and a caring one……… a gem.

Subjective may be but I’d get into a conversation with sister/Fiancé itself and would try to understand their need. If not I’d consider the following facts below.
1. After marriage where will they be residing.
2. Buying a car is one thing but upkeep should also be taken into consideration.
3. Service stations and service should be reachable.
4. The car should be easy on the pocket. Not a liability.
5. The car should not be a white elephant, eg. Ecosport, no offense anyone but Ford will be exiting India. Later all cars to be taken care of by Mahindra.
6. Honda Jazz CVT Ideal in my book, followed by swift, i20 or even Ignis for that matter.
7. Jazz, one can get a 7 year warranty or any time warranty up to 10 years, HONDA after all, no worries, PEACE OF MIND! I prefer this automatic over the Polo TSI.
8. If not, The Wagon R 1.2, well it’s practical in every way. Spacious,Maneuverability, easy of parking in tight spots, ingress and egress, good for all ages especially children and elderly, a city car.
9. They already have a Maruti second car the Breeza so service station familiarity.
10. If wiling to sell off the Breeza, then sedan Honda City or Ciaz.
10. Lastly, if at all a requirement of a second car and space to park.

If all the confusion and indecisiveness still exists put the money in a good mutual fund in her name .She can always enjoy the appreciation and could get something of her real need at a later date . A nest egg for her future.
Old 10th January 2020, 11:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:

NOW
But because she said she doesn't have a preference, I've recently been having thoughts about getting an Abarth Punto or Polo GT TSi
Lucky to have a brother who considers Abarth or a TSI for his sister But sadly there are no more Abarth's in production. Even if there was, it is not much of a city car because slightly long clutch, turbo petrol power and powerful braking of 4 discs makes bumper to bumper city driving difficult for daily use.

GT TSI is driven around by lady drivers, it should be a good choice. Can be enjoyed effortlessly in highways as well as city.
livetodrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 12:12   #39
Team-BHP Support

What a nice gesture!

Since this is going to be a gift, you'd do well to remember that recipients would like their gifts to be totally hassle free and easy to live with. You don't want the recipient to be saddled with an unreliable car that may eventually become a liability. With this in mind, I would discount the obvious suggestion - Polo GT TSI.

Also, it's important to note that gifts need to make a statement. The general perception amongst car owners is that a hatchback is merely a stepping stone to a sedan or SUV.

I would recommend the Hyundai Venue in its DCT avatar or a Creta (I believe there are big discounts on them), but if it has to be a sedan, the Ciaz / City / Yaris would be good options to consider.

At the end of the day, an automatic car should be the one to get. (No offence to those who may take offence when they shouldn't )

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th January 2020 at 12:13.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 12:30   #40
BHPian

Kia Petrol Base version of Creta base version. It will be good for her as she is starting a family and the car will have good resale value at the time of upgrade.
RajeevSharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 12:31   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, everybody. I'm trying to find a car to gift my sister at her wedding.
  • Budget is 11L
  • She has no preference whatsoever
  • Fiance isn't saying anything about it either
  • Need the vehicle delivered by mid-April

The Road So Far
My current choice for the past two months has been the Ford EcoSport. Specifically, its Titanium Petrol MT 1.5L Ti-VCT variant which maxes out the budget.

NOW
But because she said she doesn't have a preference, I've recently been having thoughts about getting an Abarth Punto or Polo GT TSi
First of all Congratulations to your sister for having such a great brother as well as the new car(whatever it's going to be)!!!

If your sister is NOT a car person(just like mine)
Understand that they cannot distinguish between cars (manufacturer, models, trims, transmissions etc.) whatsoever. - (it's just like how men can't distinguish between different styles of saris and patterns and the 1000 shades of red)

I'll not suggest any particular models, but will provide some tips that can help you decide from the options other have suggested.

Ladies can distinguish, as far as type of vehicle is concerned, between sedan, hatchback and Big SUVs(starting from Creta size).But that's usually it.

Keep in mind the following things:

1)The main thing they care about is colour,
2)Then comes interior , upholstery and features.
3)Depending on your sister's height, seating position is also very very important - this is a very important factor that affects their comfort and confidence while driving.
4)Always prefer a Petrol-AT vehicle , even at the cost of features, unless she loves MT/Diesel and wants one.
5)Easy ingress and egress is must (for saris as well as kids in future) also the door sill must not be too wide such that it collects dirt and soil the clothes while getting in and out.
6)Overall the purchase should depend on her personality, her driving style and favourite colour.

The choice of whether it should be a hatchback, Sedan or C-SUV must be her choice/preference.

Hope this helps!
Old 10th January 2020, 13:00   #42
BHPian

Indeed a very nice gesture . Your sister is lucky to have a bro like you.

Since there is already a diesel CSUV at home(fiance's car), I would recommend buying petrol hatchback with automatic like Jazz CVT.

Wishing your sister a very happy married life with lovely surprises.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th January 2020 at 13:33. Reason: Formatting
Old 10th January 2020, 13:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heartfelt wishes to your sister for the new life ahead.

Now coming to your query. Well her hubby already has a CSUV, so I wont suggest anyone of those. Sedans(City/Verna/Rapid/Vento) you wont get top trims in that budget. Since its a gift you should not look at base/mid models. Gift her the top trim of whichever car you choose. So the only car I can think of is a spanking new RED Polo GT-TSI. An AT hatch would be superb for the city usage. Considering they are just getting married am expecting only 2up occupancy for sometime to come and Polo would be perfect for that. Yes its an old model but the design has aged really well and still looks so nice. Add to that the superb gearbox+engine combo makes it one of the most FTD cars this side of 10L.

Side-note: Is it a surprise or can you show it to her before booking? If latter, do get an approval. As when it comes to women, we guys really fail to understand what they really like.

P.S: I had similar budget and got the Jazz CVT myself but that's more due to the practical aspect(read space & sorted mechanicals). But for newly married couple Polo makes a compelling case IMO.

Last edited by SoumenD : 10th January 2020 at 13:46.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 13:50   #44
BHPian

Firstly, your sister is blessed to have you as a brother. Many Congratulations on her wedding!

After having read each of the last three pages and suggestions given by fellow Team-BHPians and your own replies, here are the few things that come to my mind:

1. You have mentioned that your would-be brother-in-law already has a Brezza.
2. And that they usually take cabs to work and shopping.

So, would the second car in the house-hold really be used much? Do you contemplate them selling the Brezza in the near future and retain the new car you are planning to get them for long? If you do not have answers to these yet, I would recommend you to talk to them about this. It's not an absolutely bad idea to give her the money or get her something else instead like someone suggested earlier.

However, if you are finalized on getting a car at her wedding, my recommendations would be:

1. Perhaps a sedan or a hatchback as they already have a Brezza (Sub-compact SUV) at home. Someone suggested this purchase would complete their garage, I agree.

2. Instead of purely looking at a budget aspect, I would say go for a top-end variant of any car that you choose even if it, falls down to say 9 or 10 Lakhs OTR. Top-end variants usually come with Alloys, a bigger size tyre, good/ great inbuilt music system, integration for Apple and Andriod phones, better safety features, etc.

3. Get the safest car out there in that budget. Car with ABS, EBD, ESP, Traction Control and 6 airbags perhaps.

4. Get an automatic (assuming the Brezza at home is not one), not because it's for your sister but because it's convenient in Cities and not much of a diff on the highways these days. And having a choice of taking out a manual or an automatic car out on any given day is a blessing these days.

5. Prefer a petrol engine, being the second car, it may not be used as much as the Brezza which is already a 1.3 DDIS Diesel. Petrol cars are also usually more silent than their Diesel counter-parts.

6. Get a car with the maximum warranty that you can buy. Most cars these days are offered with standard 5 yrs warranty. But, in some cases, you may have to purchase 3-5 yr extended warranty.

7. My recommendation is to go for
- Honda for long term reliability (Jazz, Amaze, W-RV),
- Ford for best of both worlds i.e. safe and drivers cars (Figo, Freestyle, Figo Aspire, EcoSport, now that most of the cars come with 5 yrs of extended warranty),
- VW Polo GT TSI for sheer driving pleasure and the best engine/ gearbox combo, do note that VW also provides 6 yrs of extended warranty on their cars these days. And we all know about the build quality.

Some mentionable options therefore are:
With 6 Airbags, ABS, EBD, TCS, ESP, Auto Headlamps, Rain-sensing wipers, etc features
Ford EcoSport Titanium + 1.5L Ti-VCT AT - This is roughly 14 lakhs on road today

With 6 Airbags, ABS, EBD, Auto Headlamps, Rain-sensing wipers, etc features. This is Manual Transmission, AT is available in Titanium 1.5 Petrol and does not have 6 Airbags.
Ford Aspire Titanium Plus 1.2 Ti-VCT - Roughly 9.3 lakhs on road today
Ford Aspire Titanium Plus 1.5 TDCi - Roughly 10.25 lakhs on road today but has a better 1.5 L Diesel engine

With 6 Airbags, ABS, EBD, TCS, ESP, Rain-sensing wipers, etc features, This is Manual Transmission
Ford Freestyle Titanium Plus 1.2 Ti-VCT - Roughly 9 lakhs on road today

With 2 Airbags, ABS, ESP, TCS, Rain-sensing wipers, etc features
Volkswagen Polo GT TSI - Roughly 11.5 lakhs on road today

With 2 Airbags, ABS, EBD, No Rain-sensing wipers or Auto Headlamps, etc features
Honda Amaze 1.2 VX CVT - Roughly 10 lakhs on road today

With 2 Airbags, ABS, EBD, No Rain-sensing wipers or Auto Headlamps, etc features
Honda Jazz VX CVT - Roughly 10.7 lakhs on road today

Looks like there is no match to Ford cars in terms of Safety.

Last edited by kalyan_hyd : 10th January 2020 at 13:56. Reason: Added a minor feature I missed earlier.
kalyan_hyd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 14:16   #45
BHPian

Quote:
A truly generous gesture on your part. Highly appreciated. However keeping sentiments aside here's my (unasked) two cents :-

1) It's a gift for now, however later on, it's an asset needing expenses to the tune of :-
- Rs 15000 annual insurance
- annual servicing Rs 4-5000
- periodic expenses on consumables - tyres, battery etc : Rs 30000 in 4-5 years

Options I would suggest - Jazz cvt, amaze cvt, i20 automatic, ciaz/city/Verna base/ mid models.
superbad is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks