Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2020, 22:42   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: What Rs. 11 lakh car to gift my sister at her wedding? EDIT: Gifted a Ford EcoSport

If it is for your sister, she will appreciate an Automatic transmission more than the car.

My choices below:

1. Honda Jazz VX CVT. Top end model.
2. Toyota Yaris G CVT. Will be slightly above 11 but a Toyota parked in front of the reception and the future ownership is something nobody will forget. Its also leagues ahead of the JAzz above.

Ciaz is also a good option but the Yaris is superior to drive as well as own.
Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 22:49   #17
BHPian

re: What Rs. 11 lakh car to gift my sister at her wedding? EDIT: Gifted a Ford EcoSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If it is for your sister, she will appreciate an Automatic transmission more than the car.
OP hasn't mentioned the automatic transmission thing.

This assumption above is borderline offensive
bhphog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 23:00   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
OP hasn't mentioned the automatic transmission thing.

This assumption above is borderline offensive
OP says car is for his sister and location of OP was bangalore. I myself just bought an automatic.

Please don't start taking offence when there was none meant.
Vid6639 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 23:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

To be honest, their requirements matter before we can give you a proper suggestion. Do they need something small and practical for city use. Or are they only looking for highway comfort. Perhaps they would like to use it to go off-roading and exploring.

Then come issues like the roads in your part of town. Is ground clearance an issue. Is a pliant suspension for comfort more important, or one that maybe harder but is a better corner carver.

Also, how much space do they need and how much parking space do they have. I know that normally Kerala isn't an issue with parking space, but the bigger cities there sometimes are an issue.

The other consideration is service centres in the town your sister will live in. There is no point in needing to travel a couple of hundred km every few months just to service it and struggling in case of any emergency.

With these requirements in place we are better placed to advise you. Otherwise, it is just a case of a person recommending a car they like in your budget
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 00:17   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Hey, everybody. I'm trying to find a car to gift my sister at her wedding.
  • Budget is 11L
  • She has no preference whatsoever
  • Fiance isn't saying anything about it either
  • Need the vehicle delivered by mid-April
Some pertinent questions - do they need a second car? Do they have parking for a second car? Considering her fiance already has a car, I'd agree with @comfortablynumb's suggestion on just gifting her the money instead.

But I guess that doesn't have the zing effect of a brand new car standing outside the wedding place, so not a easy call.

If it has to be a car, then an automatic hatchback - best decision aligned to Bangalore traffic. Both of @vid6639's suggestions are good; IMO I'd say nothing beats a Jazz.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 04:31   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a lot of money and your money. Spend it wisely.

Talk to the gift receivers about their requirements. That's the first thing to do.

Also, please consider what your future BIL feels about expensive gifts. Not everyone likes it especially when the running cost is to be borne by them.

Last edited by kiku007 : 10th January 2020 at 04:40.
kiku007 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 06:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

If your sister is going to be the primary driver and if it's Bangalore roads, then kindly get her an automatic. Consider the Jazz CVT at the top followed by the Polo GT TSI. Stay away from pseudo automatics (No offense). Jazz would be high on my list. There is a new one coming too.
Old 10th January 2020, 06:44   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

You put a 11L budget with no requirements on team-bhp, we are going to go wild with all kinds of options and opinions being posted which will end up confusing you in my opinion.

It is probably too much of a risk to buy an expensive thing as a car without some clarity on what will make the giftee happy about it. If both of them are not warm to the idea yet( for whatever reasons), maybe it's the wrong gift. If this is a discussion you have had and this is the right thing to do, you atleast need to get your BIL on board. If they don't enjoy what you get them , they won't even be able to sell it without offending you.

Very nice gesture though
Rajeevraj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 07:02   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Amazing gesture, man ! Your sister is very lucky to have a brother like you. I hope my two sisters never see this thread .

I'll agree with the EcoSport & also strongly recommend the Venue. Women love these soft Hyundais, and its a newer car too. Whatever you get, pick a nice bright colour.

Would request you to consider Automatics, keeping in mind Bangalore traffic.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 07:03   #25
BHPian

Get a pre owned X1. Should easily get something in that budget. Years down, people will always remember you as the brother who gifted his sister a BMW!

Moreover your sister and BIL will remember you daily when they look at the running costs!

Last edited by avdhesh15 : 10th January 2020 at 07:04.
avdhesh15 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 07:17   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey, everybody. I'm trying to find a car to gift my sister at her wedding.
This is wonderful!
I would suggest to stick to your original choice – the Ecosport.
But maybe increase the budget a bit and go with the top end Ecosport AT; that will cover all the safety aspects as well
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 09:05   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I would tell you what - go talk to your sister and your would be brother in law first. Even though they are not saying anything (because they do not want to be seen as one insisting for a gift from you), remember that after using the car you gift them today, they should not feel few years down the line that they should have rather got some other car.
Wise advice, thank you. They won't be driving a lot as they use company cabs for commute, so it'll be just for weekends. They're not really sure about MT vs AT. Not a lot of city driving as they prefer cabs for shopping, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Honda City, eyes closed. Manual version falls well within your budget, the CVT if that is preferred and your budget can be slightly extended. ... Not to mention, looks fantastic as a gift as well!
Two of my cousins have them and she doesn't like those cars very much. We used to have a modded 2002 OHC, so maybe she sees these new ones with a different eye. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
On a serious note, my suggestion would be the Tata Nexon. 5 star safety rating, looks good, comfy ride, decent handling - what's not to like?
I personally don't like the Nexon's styling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
To be honest, I don't think that you are considering a wrong car. The Ford Ecosport with the 1.5 L dragon engine will be one of the best car that can be bought under 11 lacs today. The car is not only safe and well built, but is also fun to drive and extremely reliable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
... Trust me, we were in the same boat a few months back. Couldn't really find another car that is as VFM as this one (not even VW/Skoda; forget Maruti) However much we tried, it was running around in circles only to come to the same thing again and again- the Ecosport. Best of luck!
That's what I keep coming back to too, after reading the other responses. I'm thinking of getting the Ecosport Thunder style vinyl done on a canyon-ridge hood and coat the alloys in gunmetal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The best part about a gift is the reaction that the person will get when receiving it and I feel that solely due to that reason, the only two cars I can recommend are the Polo GT TSI which looks ever so slightly better in its latest face-lifted form, and the Tiago JTP ...
That's what I thought too, but then got some feedback about the TSI in this thread which I definitely wouldn't wish on her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
It is a good excuse to visit all showrooms, take as many TDs as possible and write some experiences here.
On a serious note though, please take as many test drives as possible. A good car on paper may not be a perfect car for the users. For example, for someone who may value space more than handling, a Ciaz may be a better bet than an EcoSport. Hence I would suggest all of you to visit the showrooms and experience the cars in person before taking a decision.
I wish to TD everything , but the current work environment is drawing out 12-hour workdays from me.

Yes, Ciaz and EcoSport are on the table now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
Look no further than a Renault Duster RX(O) CVT.
We have a Renault and hated the after-service experience. So want to keep away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyKing_775 View Post
You mentioned her fiancée already has a Compact SUV (brezza) right?
Then going for a Sedan would complete their garage!
I would recommend a Verna 1.6 SX Petrol.
Good Quality overall and will also suit the ceremony!
I like the Verna, but it's beyond my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
I would say a Hyundai Venue Petrol Turbo. It looks fresh and being a mini Creta, women love it especially in dark colours. It has compact dimensions, a light steering and good service backup.
Thanks, but I didn't like the Venue.

Last edited by di1in : 10th January 2020 at 09:14.
di1in is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 09:11   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest you first find out in a discreet way if your sister prefers an automatic or manual. If it is BLR traffic then i would suggest auto any day but some people still prefer manual even in heavy traffic. So you need to figure it out some way what your sister prefers. Then it will be easier for you to narrow down the options.
Old 10th January 2020, 09:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Her fiance already has a Brezza, so that's out.
Since they already own a sub 4m CSUV, the Ecosport would look similar. Based on this I too would recommend a roomy Sedan like the Ciaz or the City.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 09:42   #30
BHPian

Wow man, she is one lucky girl to have you as her brother. Kudos for lovely gesture.
Now on the options part, GT TSI would fit the requirement. Considering Bangalore traffic, GT TSI is tailer made. Easy to drive and park in tight spots.

Most Viewed