Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2020, 15:29   #1
BHPian

What Rs. 11 lakh car to gift my sister at her wedding? EDIT: Gifted a Ford EcoSport

Hey, everybody. I'm trying to find a car to gift my sister at her wedding.
  • Budget is 11L
  • She has no preference whatsoever
  • Fiance isn't saying anything about it either
  • Need the vehicle delivered by mid-April

The Road So Far
My current choice for the past two months has been the Ford EcoSport. Specifically, its Titanium Petrol MT 1.5L Ti-VCT variant which maxes out the budget.

NOW
But because she said she doesn't have a preference, I've recently been having thoughts about getting an Abarth Punto or Polo GT TSi

I know.

Also considered getting an i20 and using the leftover cash to get some nice mirror-lipped alloys with classic 5-spokes. Then saw the news about a new i20, so waiting for that. Not sure if the strange look on the new Creta will work out, nor if either of these will be ready for delivery by mid-April after their expected appearance at auto-expo in Feb.

So, before I do something stupid, I figured I'll ask around: is there another vehicle in this price range that I should consider that looks presentable and functions well?
di1in is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 15:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: What Rs. 11 lakh car to gift my sister at her wedding? EDIT: Gifted a Ford EcoSport

Ciaz! Nothing looks better than a Baddi Gaddi Sedan!

Should be in your budget. Is a non nonsense car. Is a Maruti!

Another alternative will be WRV with Sunroof! Again, Sunroof is a status symbol in India. WRV Can pass off like an SUV, plus is a HONDA. Would look cool during the Ceremony as well.

Last edited by 2000rpm : 9th January 2020 at 15:34.
2000rpm is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 15:46   #3
BHPian

re: What Rs. 11 lakh car to gift my sister at her wedding? EDIT: Gifted a Ford EcoSport

Wow! your sister is a lucky girl indeed. I think you should consider what their use case is before deciding. The Ecosport is a practical option, but, it isn't the best car on Indian roads at the moment.

For something that can do road trips as well as be driven around the city, maybe consider the Baleno CVT/Baleno RS? I think the Vitarra Brezza may also be in the budget.

The Polo GT TSI is one of my cars, and as much fun as it is to drive, I wouldn't recommend it. The suspension is in desperate need of an upgrade and if that gearbox goes kaput, it will cost them a small fortune to fix. Having said that, nothing else in that budget matches the Polo build quality. How much does the Rapid diesel DSG go for these days?

Kia Seltos has something in that price range don't they? What about the rebadged Toyota Baleno or Tata Altroz/Nexon?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th January 2020 at 11:40. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
imp! is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 16:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
  • Budget is 11L
  • She has no preference whatsoever
  • Fiance isn't saying anything about it either
  • Need the vehicle delivered by mid-April
Your sister is real gifted to have a brother like you, look no further get her a Honda Jazz CVT, she'll remember you for a life time!
Durango Dude is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 16:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

11 lacs budget. No requirements specified, no usage pattern, no fuel preference, no transmission preference, no monthly running specified.

A very tough one to answer!

I would tell you what - go talk to your sister and your would be brother in law first. Even though they are not saying anything (because they do not want to be seen as one insisting for a gift from you), remember that after using the car you gift them today, they should not feel few years down the line that they should have rather got some other car. Perhaps you gifted them a compact SUV whereas they found out after years of usage that its combersome to handle in city traffic. Or perhaps you gifted them a Fiat and few years down the line they wish they had a less troublesome car with more easy serviceability. Or what if you gifted them an MT and they wished to drive an AT instead.

These are just examples, i hope you get the drift.

So ask them, discuss with them first, and then come back to this thread with the detailed set of requirements.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th January 2020 at 11:41. Reason: Spacing
DCEite is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 16:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[list][*] Budget is 11L[*] She has no preference whatsoever[*] Fiance isn't saying anything about it either[*] Need the vehicle delivered by mid-April
Honda City, eyes closed. Manual version falls well within your budget, the CVT if that is preferred and your budget can be slightly extended. Creamy and powerful petrol engine, acres of space, superb from and rear seat comfort, stellar reliability, efficient engine and best of all - blazing performance from the iVTEC engine. Not to mention, looks fantastic as a gift as well!
arindambasu13 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 16:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, before I do something stupid, I figured I'll ask around: is there another vehicle in this price range that I should consider that looks presentable and functions well?
Gift her the 11 lakhs instead, with the caveat that she shouldn't expect any more gifts for the rest of her and your lifetime!

On a serious note, my suggestion would be the Tata Nexon. 5 star safety rating, looks good, comfy ride, decent handling - what's not to like?

From the official review:

Quote:
What you’ll like:

• Very well-priced for what it offers. Undercuts all rivals
• Funky styling ensures that the Nexon stands out from the crowd
• 5-star NCAP safety rating & a solid build, unlike many of its flimsy competitors
• Nice, spacious cabin with comfortable seats. You get a practical 350-liter boot too
• 1.5L diesel & 1.2L petrol offer good performance. Diesel is especially impressive
• Balanced road manners for such a tall car. Fine EPS & 209 mm of ground clearance!
• Loaded with features: Driving modes, LED DRLs, reversing camera, 8-speaker ICE etc.
• Dual airbags, ABS & Isofix child seat mounts are standard on all variants

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 9th January 2020 at 16:46.
comfortablynumb is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 17:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Ciaz! Nothing looks better than a Baddi Gaddi Sedan!

Should be in your budget. Is a non nonsense car. Is a Maruti!

Another alternative will be WRV with Sunroof! Again, Sunroof is a status symbol in India. WRV Can pass off like an SUV, plus is a HONDA. Would look cool during the Ceremony as well.
Both are good options, thanks. I'll take another look at the Ciaz. The WRV does look interesting too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Wow! your sister is a lucky girl indeed. I think you should consider what their use case is before deciding. The Ecosport is a practical option, but, it isn't the best car on Indian roads at the moment.

For something that can do road trips as well as be driven around the city, maybe consider the Baleno CVT/Baleno RS? I think the Vitarra Brezza may also be in the budget.

The Polo GT TSI is one of my cars, and as much fun as it is to drive, I wouldn't recommend it. The suspension is in desperate need of an upgrade and if that gearbox goes kaput, it will cost them a small fortune to fix. Having said that, nothing else in that budget matches the Polo build quality. How much does the Rapid diesel DSG go for these days?

Kia Seltos has something in that price range don't they? What about the rebadged Toyota Baleno or Tata Altroz/Nexon?
Thanks for the tip about the GT TSI. Her fiance already has a Brezza, so that's out. Not a fan of the Balenos.

I checked the Seltos but the base model comes in at 11.5 lacs in Kerala, which is beyond my budget.

The Skoda Rapid Diesel is also at 11.8 lacs for the base model.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th January 2020 at 11:42. Reason: Spacing in quoted post
di1in is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 17:24   #9
BHPian

To be honest, I don't think that you are considering a wrong car. The Ford Ecosport with the 1.5 L dragon engine will be one of the best car that can be bought under 11 lacs today. The car is not only safe and well built, but is also fun to drive and extremely reliable.
MrBeast is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 17:59   #10
BHPian

I would say just go for the Ecosport without second thoughts, if you have decided on it. Trust me, we were in the same boat a few months back.Couldn't really find another car that is as VFM as this one (not even VW/Skoda; forget Maruti) However much we tried, it was running around in circles only to come to the same thing again and again- the Ecosport. Best of luck!

Or like somebody suggested, just give your sister the 11 lacs instead.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 18:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

The best part about a gift is the reaction that the person will get when receiving it and I feel that solely due to that reason, the only two cars I can recommend are the Polo GT TSI which looks ever so slightly better in its latest face-lifted form, and the Tiago JTP since she would never have bought this one herself yet the happiness she will experience being able to chuck about a small hatchback with quite some pep, might be immeasurable.
IshaanIan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 18:33   #12
BHPian

Quote:
She has no preference whatsoever
It is a good excuse to visit all showrooms, take as many TDs as possible and write some experiences here.
On a serious note though, please take as many test drives as possible. A good car on paper may not be a perfect car for the users. For example, for someone who may value space more than handling, a Ciaz may be a better bet than an EcoSport. Hence I would suggest all of you to visit the showrooms and experience the cars in person before taking a decision.

Last edited by Researcher : 9th January 2020 at 18:34. Reason: Edited one word
Researcher is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 21:27   #13
BHPian

Look no further than a Renault Duster RX(O) CVT.

For this particular Variant,
Arguments in Favour:
1. Strong and Proven Built Quality
2. Equipped with Airbags, and all driving aids ESP, et al.
3. 100+hp 1.5L petrol engine with a CVT - Best of both worlds (I prefer manual though)
4. 470+ litres of boot space - Awesome for the out station trips.
5. Not a pseudo SUV like the ecosport, has a proven record of its capabilities (TBhp itself has numerous threads of this cars tackling all sort of terrains)
6. A Lower Centre of Gravity and a more sorted wheelbase, increase stability.
7. Loaded with all essential creature comforts - Touchscreen ICE, DRLs, et al.
8. The refreshed variants are quite a looker with them vibrant colours
9. Low Maintenance costs and provision of extended warranty available.

Arguments Against the Duster,
1. Misses out on some creature comforts like a sunroof, heated/cooled seats.
2. Really can’t think of any other cons.

I know its a pretty old car but Hey! please explain how that really matters? (except the BS6 part, which is nothing that’d change the car itself, just a few bits of exhaust alteration)

All in all, a safe capable and reliable car that would be a great companion to a newly wed couple.
bhphog is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 21:40   #14
BHPian

You mentioned her fiancée already has a Compact SUV (brezza) right?

Then going for a Sedan would complete their garage!

I would recommend a Verna 1.6 SX Petrol.

Good Quality overall and will also suit the ceremony!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th January 2020 at 12:04. Reason: Spacing
GypsyKing_775 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 21:53   #15
BHPian

I would say a Hyundai Venue Petrol Turbo. It looks fresh and being a mini Creta, women love it especially in dark colours. It has compact dimensions, a light steering and good service backup.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed