Team-BHP > What Car?

Old 13th January 2020, 20:31   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Is it a good idea to buy a used automatic car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post
One quick question, is it worth to buy a 2007 Honda Accord 3.0 V6 Automatic, done about 65K...I am getting some deal for arnd 2L, hence, seeking some responses,

I know the Mileage in city like Bangalore would be pathetic, maybe arnd 6-7 KMPL and highways would be around 10 KMPL, but I have been looking for a used Auto Accord or Corolla Altis for sometime and not getting good deals,

BTW, I already own a Brezza ZDI+ AMT and an Alto K10 AMT, so this buy is just to have a fun riding car since I am big time missing my 2011 ANHC,
It is bit subjective in this context as spending 2l for a v6 car having 2 years of life left to 15 years could be absolutely worth for someone opposed to most of the others. For someone like you, who got newer Maruti cars which are relatively very easy at pocket to maintain, if not aware, these cars could be a monetary shock. I have seen gearbox going bad in these cars, just because of previous owners negligence (first hand experience too) and finally scraping them as replacing the gearbox might have cost some significant amount of the car itself. For perspective, just the cost of brake rotors (OEM) of the accord might get you a brand new half/full assembly of the alto's engine that you have at present.
arighna.dutta is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 20:39   #17
BHPian

I may be wrong here but these are my personal views. Manual transmission cars (especially smooth petrol ones) with an extremely light clutch and slick shifting gearbox will eliminate the need for an automatic all together. So you can browse through TBHP reviews and focus on this aspect and test the car if available for a drive. Nothing can beat the efficiency, reliability and responsiveness of a manual.
I was really upset to see the response time of many of these automatic gearboxes. DSG may be better but then it's not reliable. CVT the less said the better, in fact I find CVT so bad and useless that I'll rate an AMT above it any day.
Cheers and all the best !
Storm2.0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 21:39   #18
BHPian

I bought a pre-loved 2014 Swift Dzire Automatic in June last year (and they are rare as a dodo). This comes with a 4 speed TC gearbox, and is an absolute hoot to drive in the city. I picked it up with 55,000 KMS on the odo, and it drives just fine. Fuel efficiency has gone for a toss because I get only 8-10 KMPL in the city (my other car is a Linea MJD), but I really don't mind that. I drive much peacefully and with less stress

The trick is to have patience, look at many options, TD them, and wait till the right one lands in your hands. Being hasty and buying a used car do not go well together.
iceman7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 10:48   #19
NTO
BHPian

I bought a used '12 used civic automatic in 2019 March. It had 50K kms on the odo and had complete service records. As BHPian hserus said, I replaced all the fluids along with a few parts like brake pads and engine mount which were showing its age. I have driven close to 15000 kms since I bought the car and it is running flawlessly.

PS. I also bought an almost new used Jazz CVT and sold it within 6 months before the civic. No problem with the car at all but I couldn't live with the CVT gearbox and few inherent flaws of the car like bouncy rear end at highways and pathetic build quality.

To be safe pick up a well maintained car with Torque Converter auto and change all the fluids. Also read reviews about the car on the engine and gear box mating. This is a very important aspect aiding to the fun of driving.
NTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 11:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Considering over 90 percent of cars sold in America are automatics, and there is a massive and thriving used car market there, I would say automatics in general are NOT a problem. Of course, you need to check out the individual car properly, but go ahead with the purchase if your mechanic is happy with the car
pganapathy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 13:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
In a budget of 10 lacs on road, which TC cars can I buy? Priority being safety, a decent 5 seater and need good ground clearance. And should be reliable as I travel with my family and breakdown or niggles will be irritating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
2) Surprisingly, the Ertiga AT (with surplus usable space). Even though it's just a 4 speed AT, someone shared a graph of its gear ratios versus other 6 speed AT gearboxes and the Ertiga's is no pushover.
In addition, I would also suggest to look for a used SX4 automatic. They came in the top ZXi trim of the first facelift model with BS4 update (automatic climate control, ABS, EBD, dual airbags), decent space for 5 and had good ground clearance. They were fairly reliable and parts aren't an issue if you have an MGP store nearby. Although some parts may take a week or two, but as per my experience, one is never stranded. The transmission is a 4-speed TC, which I believe is same as A-Star, 2nd gen Dzire, Ritz, Ciaz and Ertiga. Alternatively, you could look for a slightly used Ciaz which would be more recent, more spacious but may have ground clearance issues under a full load.
Also, if you have the patience to find, own and maintain one, search for a used Grand Vitara (again a 4-speed TC, I believe). The higher cost of the imported spares (takes some time to get as well) and low fuel efficiency can be offset by the purchase price and the vehicle itself.
Researcher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 13:55   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Hi friends,

After joining Team-BHP, I have come to realize the value in buying a used car. But most of the discussions have been with reference to buying a used MT car.

Now with the market trend and user requirements shifting towards AT, does the same logic still hold true when buying a used car ?

What can go wrong with a used AT purchase:
1. High asking price because of limited options in the used car market
2. Poor FE (compared to MT car with same engine)
3. High maintenance/repair cost (because of manufacturing defect / negligence in maintenance by previous user)
4. High chances of gearbox/clutch related failures (compared to MT cars) because of various reasons (AMT related clutch issues/DCT issues etc)
5. (Please add if I have missed anything)

What do you feel about this ?

Rohan
1. Asking price depends on the brand, segment and mass popularity. There need not be much of difference between and MT and AT. Have bought 4 used cars in last 5 years within family. 2 of them are Corolla Altis; one MT and other one AT. Both costed the same.

2. Depends on cubic capacity, weight, fuel type, usage type and your driving style. Expect single digits from Petrol ones in city traffic, unless you are buying a Celerio sort of AT.

Even bad engineering will kill FE. Ex- Hyundai ATs. Even i10 offers single digits.

3. Depends on how fragile the car is. If it already got a bar reputation, don't go for it. Example - Skoda and anything from its stable.

Get the car inspected in an authorised station. Will save you loads of money and anxiety. Else, any car will be a black box for you.

4. No. ATs are expected to have less issues due to less driving intervention. What you need to factor is the risk with high end ATs (DSG, DCT). AMT isn't really AT.

5. Used car is like one's wife. You will learn to settle down and find a way to reconcile, even if it gets to kill you at some time

Here is one I have been driving for 5 years now. Flawless for City, and Comfortable cruiser for Highways, even with 100k on ODO. And I wont sell it to you
Attached Thumbnails
Is it a good idea to buy a used automatic car?-img_20190723_195851__01.jpg  

JBIBS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 14:58   #23
GTB
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 14th January 2020 at 16:41.
GTB is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th January 2020, 17:10   #24
BHPian

Well, while buying a used car it is highly recommended to do the mandatory checks. As regards to the AT, please have the brakes checked since they tend to wear faster than the MT's. If the service history is available from authorized ASS, then that should serve as a good reference on the present condition of the car or else I would recommend a check by a good Service Advisor from the ASS. I bought a 2008 i10 AT in 2018 which had done about 42000 kms and was not used for a long time since the owner settled abroad. Since I was in a hurry I bought it without doing any mandatory checks(a matter of pure belief). After my purchase I noticed that this car was last serviced by Hyundai ASS at 20000 kms. No history was available after that. I then spent a total of 40K to get a 40000 kms service done at the ASS. The only issues were with braking(got the pads changed), the AC compressor(as it conked very shortly after my purchase - so got it replaced @ 20K) and the oils were completely burnt(replaced with Shell synthetic). There were no issues with the transmission. I think the Torque Convertor has stood the test of time. So far the car is driving good though the tyres need a change now. Yes, the FE is low compared to MT but that's the compromise one has to make when picking older AT's. ABS+Airbags will be confidence inspiring for highway drives.
Good luck.

Last edited by Sheel : 14th January 2020 at 17:21. Reason: Putting spaces for better readability.
Pkumarblore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 01:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

I think fewer things can go wrong with a purchase of an automatic. If I buy a used car in India, I'm worried about two things apart from regular checks:
1. Wear on clutch and other parts of the transaxle
2. Wear on suspension components
These components wear out based on usage pattern.
For example: A highway only car at 50k km might have a lot of clutch life left, but it is not the same for a car driven exclusively in the city.
Quote:
1. This is purely driven by market factors and buyer-seller interaction. I wouldn't consider this as something that could go wrong. As a buyer I'd walk away from a deal in which the price is unreasonable.
2. Lesser FE and faster brake wear are known downsides for buying an AT car.
Quote:
3. High maintenance/repair cost (because of manufacturing defect / negligence in maintenance by previous user)
4. High chances of gearbox/clutch related failures (compared to MT cars) because of various reasons (AMT related clutch issues/DCT issues etc)
3 & 4 need the buyer to be smart. As long as periodic maintenance is done, TCs and CVTs should be fine. I wouldn't touch a DCT new, forget used. Also, used AMTs are a no-no for me.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 15th January 2020 at 01:21.
landcruiser123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 08:44   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
3 & 4 need the buyer to be smart. As long as periodic maintenance is done, TCs and CVTs should be fine. I wouldn't touch a DCT new, forget used. Also, used AMTs are a no-no for me.
Agree with these points. To add a bit further - the AMT in itself is a new technology in Indian mass market car segments. So -
The asking price for a pre-owned AMT car won't be too low compared to a new one & it may make more sense to spend more & buy a new one!
If the asking price is enticingly low, it should be looked at with suspicion as being a pretty new car, the price shouldn't be too low unless the car was giving problems!

TCs and CVTs would be my choice when going for a pre-owned automatic too. The mechanicals age well & generally the reason for previous owner to change car isn't directly linked to transmission troubles. That probability is much higher with DCT/AMTs indeed - at least at the back of the mind without any statistical data to support. Peace of mind should be a vital factor in the decision making & that's where DCT and AMT lose out.
Old 15th January 2020, 10:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What can go wrong with a used AT purchase
  1. Stay away from DQ200 7 speed powered Volkswagens (Polo TSI, Vento TSI and all Skoda ATs except TDI AT)and Powershift DCT powered Fords (Fiesta DCT, pre-Facelift Ecosport AT, Figo AT).
  2. As mentioned here (So, why won't you buy a used car?), If you have high usage don't bother going for used cars. This is immaterial whether its MT or AT.
  3. You need to be insensitive about the FE you are getting. I've 5.2 kpl and 15.7 kpl
  4. Input price might be slightly higher. Not a big deal if its in your budget.
  5. If you are going for a higher segment vehicle, Routine maintenance may not be much. However expect part replacements to be high. Had a Corolla AT, routine maintenance was less (6-7K ish) but part replacements were bloody expensive.

Last edited by narayans80 : 15th January 2020 at 11:18.
Old 15th January 2020, 11:16   #28
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Stay away from DQ250 powered Volkswagens (Polo TSI, Vento TSI and all Skoda ATs except TDI AT)
I think you mean DQ200.

DQ250 boxes are comparatively better from reliability pov.
Old 15th January 2020, 11:20   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I think you mean DQ200.
Thanks. Yes the 7 speed DQ 200. Not the 6 speed DQ 250 which is on VW group's TDI models.

Corrected my post as well
Old 19th January 2020, 09:10   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends,

Now with the market trend and user requirements shifting towards AT, does the same logic still hold true when buying a used car?

3. High maintenance/repair cost (because of manufacturing defect/negligence in maintenance by the previous user)
4. High chances of gearbox/clutch-related failures (compared to MT cars) because of various reasons (AMT related clutch issues/DCT issues etc)
5. (Please add if I have missed anything)

What do you feel about this?
For the most part, guidelines of buying a used MT car vs used AT cars remain the same. There are a few additional checks that are required to check the state of the AT box by a competent auto engineer. Get it thoroughly checked at A-S-S. With a manual gearbox, you can miss this step because MTs rarely will have issues (even if they have, it is cheap to fix it).

Think of it this way. AT gearboxes are more complicated than manual ones and attract higher maintenance costs (including added fuel costs). But the point is, in recent years this additional cost seems to be justified because of ever-increasing traffic and pathetic driving conditions. Given that you have set your mind on an AT, choose a car with the right Auto gearbox tech for your usage.

Remember the fact that gearbox is a super important factor in your driving experience. Choosing it carefully will assure a good ownership experience. Here is my post on all transmission tech (it may help you): https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4725053 (Which type of Automatic Transmission do you prefer?)

Most Viewed