Team-BHP > What Car?

Old 23rd January 2020, 13:26   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Is it a good idea to buy a used automatic car?

I have a 2007 Corolla that I need to sell and want a new Yaris/Honda/Creta or a used Corolla. Only automatic. No other choices. Specifically I wanted advice on 2 options
1. Certified cars from Mahindra, Cars24, etc
2. Pay more and get a certified used car from Toyota or Honda. They certify only their make.

For me, paying more is not a problem but getting higher probability of a good car is paramount. I feel that paying more at Toyota/Honda is more VFM in the long run. Is that true???. I am 53 with hardly 500-600 km of driving per month and so a 15-30K Toyota/Honda auto car with 10+ year of registration would be ideal.
Old 26th February 2020, 20:02   #32

I have been searching for an used automatic car for my wife for quite some time. A close friend of mine is selling a 2019(March)Tiago XZA that has clocked roughly 4k km.

I am a bit in the dark regarding the reliability of the Tiagos. Also, I am not quite sure of the used car prices for Tiagos at present, so, would really appreciate if anyone could also suggest what a good price could be.
Old 27th February 2020, 08:32   #33
Senior - BHPian

If you know hes selling it for a valid reason like moving out of the city then feel free, it is a good car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinriez View Post
I have been searching for an used automatic car for my wife for quite some time. A close friend of mine is selling a 2019(March)Tiago XZA that has clocked roughly 4k km.

I am a bit in the dark regarding the reliability of the Tiagos. Also, I am not quite sure of the used car prices for Tiagos at present, so, would really appreciate if anyone could also suggest what a good price could be.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 09:22   #34
BHPian

In my view, the safest way to buy a good reliable automatic used car is - Buy a low mileage Toyota or a Honda. Period.
2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 16:48   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinriez View Post

Although many of us may have said earlier, elsewhere in this thread or other threads, it is worth repeating:

* You must consider the pros/cons of the different automatics (AMT, CVT and TC). AMTs are known to be a bit jerky during gear-shifts, and I find it a challenge when reversing.
* TCs are best for driving comfort and typically deliver lower mileage, but is my preference.

We have an 8 year old Hyundai i10 automatic (Torque Converter) and it has been a wonderful vehicle to own and drive - although we have done only about 3K kms /year.
AutoSphere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 17:27   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
* You must consider the pros/cons of the different automatics (AMT, CVT and TC). AMTs are known to be a bit jerky during gear-shifts, and I find it a challenge when reversing.
* TCs are best for driving comfort and typically deliver lower mileage, but is my preference.
I really appreciate your suggestions regarding AMT/CVT/TC. I did try to find CVT and TC models initially, in the used market but couldn't get hold of a good one. I have a few limitations at the moment - not being in town and so no one else to go around and have a look before I buy one.

Also, the one I am planning to buy will primarily be used by my wife and all she cares is something that would be reliable. The ones she has driven till date were all AMTs and seems to be fine with it. I'm sure she would be surprised once she gets her hand on one of those TC or CVTs ones.

On a lighter note, when the person in question, was visiting me for the first time, I picked her up from the airport in a Jaguar XE 3.0 V6 Supercharged S. On the way back to our apartment, I casually asked her what car we were in. She said - "A big black car!"

PS : I love my wife!
awinriez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 11:11   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
I may be wrong here but these are my personal views. Manual transmission cars (especially smooth petrol ones) with an extremely light clutch and slick shifting gearbox will eliminate the need for an automatic all together. So you can browse through TBHP reviews and focus on this aspect and test the car if available for a drive. Nothing can beat the efficiency, reliability and responsiveness of a manual.
I was really upset to see the response time of many of these automatic gearboxes. DSG may be better but then it's not reliable. CVT the less said the better, in fact I find CVT so bad and useless that I'll rate an AMT above it any day.
Cheers and all the best !
This is interesting. Could you list which cars have the light clutch/slick gearbox which can eliminate autobox purchase. Probably in hatchback segment.
Old 26th May 2020, 11:18   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
This is interesting. Could you list which cars have the light clutch/slick gearbox which can eliminate autobox purchase. Probably in hatchback segment.
Hi, I can't comment on the MT hatchbacks as such since most of them which I had driven were automatic and based on which I gave my opinion sometime back. But I can give my views on MT sedan.
I have a 2008 City Zx and it is a breeze to drive in Bangalore traffic even though it's a manual transmission car.
I shall assume the same for newer generations of City too.
Storm2.0 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed