Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2020, 16:09   #1
BHPian

What Rs 7-lakh car for the chauffeur-driven?

Hello everyone!

It is time to replace my mother's Hyundai Xcent (2014) petrol with a new car for ~7 lakhs OTR. Since the car will be chauffeur driven, safety and a solid build are very important, as is reasonably priced maintenance.

Our Xcent has taken quite a beating, and has issues with the clutch, steering, cabin electronics and others, apart from body damage.

What car would you suggest would stand up to such abuse?

PS: we have considered replacing our chauffeur, but everything apart from his driving is fine
Old 21st January 2020, 16:56   #2
BHPian

re: What Rs 7-lakh car for the chauffeur-driven?

How about a Santro AMT/Grand I10 NIOS AMT, you won't have to deal with any clutch issues.
Sreesh1009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 18:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Honestly a 2014 car is not that old and can be overhauled and used for another 6-8 years provided you please change your driver. If not for yourselves, atleast for the others on the roads considering you yourself are stating that his driving is bad. Why employ and give a bad driver a vehicle with which to endanger others?
IshaanIan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 18:44   #4
BHPian

I would personally prefer a second hand sedan to be driver driven. A new car to a driver is a no-no for me. Irony is my new one is driven by my driver once a week utmost.
For back seat comfort, go ahead and buy the Corolla, supremely comfortable and not too low seated as well.
akshays is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 19:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slango97 View Post
It is time to replace my mother's Hyundai Xcent (2014) petrol with a new car for ~7 lakhs OTR
Frankly, what you need to replace is your chauffeur and not the car.

How may KMs it has clocked so far? And I'm guessing that the issue with the car is probably due to the driver itself. Dents and other nitty-gritty issues can be sorted if you take it to a good FNG or an authorized dealership. Give it a good mechanical makeover and you should be good for another couple of years at least.
R-Six is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 19:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Honestly a 2014 car is not that old and can be overhauled and used for another 6-8 years provided you please change your driver. If not for yourselves, atleast for the others on the roads considering you yourself are stating that his driving is bad. Why employ and give a bad driver a vehicle with which to endanger others?

We continue to employ him because he is very trustworthy, is a family man, doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, doesn't ask for raises or bonuses, doesn't get chummy with others to pass around gossip.

Frankly, we're okay with slightly terrible driving given his good character.
slango97 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 19:44   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
How about a Santro AMT/Grand I10 NIOS AMT, you won't have to deal with any clutch issues.

Will consider the Nios! We're actually pretty happy with Hyundai so it makes sense! But do you think it's safe to go ahead now, since it is a new car?
Old 21st January 2020, 19:47   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

If you can get a deal on the Etios / Liva - I'd get that. These cars are built for abuse given how popular they are with the taxi segment.
It's dated, will be discontinued soon, etc. but when it comes to bring driven around in, it is tough to beat this on a budget.
lamborghini is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 20:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
If you can get a deal on the Etios / Liva - I'd get that. These cars are built for abuse given how popular they are with the taxi segment.
It's dated, will be discontinued soon, etc. but when it comes to bring driven around in, it is tough to beat this on a budget.
Also it's safe with a 4star crash rating and proper rear seat headrests.
Storm2.0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 20:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Will consider the Nios! We're actually pretty happy with Hyundai so it makes sense! But do you think it's safe to go ahead now, since it is a new car?
I don't think it should be an issue. Are you looking for a top trim?
Old 21st January 2020, 20:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
I don't think it should be an issue. Are you looking for a top trim?

No, a mid-spec variant should be fine. Does the Nios come with any connected car feature that allows us to track our chauffeur's driving behaviour?

Does any other vehicle in this price segment have that?
Old 22nd January 2020, 07:12   #12
BHPian

Quote:
No, a mid-spec variant should be fine. Does the Nios come with any connected car feature that allows us to track our chauffeur's driving behaviour?

You can check out the Honda Amaze then. Though it doesn't come in an automatic variant with your budget but Honda does have a connected car feature which you have to subscribe to.

I've only seen cars like the Venue, Seltos etc get the connected car feature.
Sreesh1009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 08:44   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: What Rs 7-lakh car for the chauffeur-driven?

Spend 50 grand and bring your Xcent back to shape. Selling a 5-year old car is a colossal waste of money. Read my thread on the topic - link (Want to sell your car because of repairs? Think again!).

It's all the more pointless as you are clearly retaining a bad driver who is going to abuse / damage your new car too.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 09:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does the Nios come with any connected car feature that allows us to track our chauffeur's driving behaviour?

You seriously need to replace your Chauffeur, driving doesnt seem to be his thing!

If after so many kms with him you are evaluating his driving and feel the need to monitor the driving style, then you are carrying a lot of unnecessary headache. This may be a very big safety hazard as the internals AND Externals of your cars are damaged indicating frequent accidents.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 09:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Keep the Xcent, 7lac OTR will give you a decently loaded loaded Hatchback or a base model sub 4m Sedan in the showrooms today.

Spend ₹50k on the Xcent and bring it up to speed. Spend ₹25k on the Chauffeur retraining and enjoy the car for much longer. Driving or for that matter, any other skill doesn't improve by itself beyond a point and retraining is necessary.

Training for defensive driving techniques on a racetrack or a dirt track road should be more helpful than you think. I am aware of a nice gentleman in Khopoli who used to offer defensive driving training packages for Chauffeurs on his dirt track.

Even in my case, the day I spent on the Buddh International (including about 40 minutes behind the wheel of the Race Polo) has done more to improve my driving skills than the 5 years driving my family cars did prior to that day.

It is an alternative solution but one that shouldn't really be ignored. Do evaluate this option before you take the plunge.

Cheers!
antz.bin is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks