Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2020, 07:11   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What 25-35 lakh car for my senior citizen mom? Priority is ease of ingress & egress

The CRV is your best option here. I got it for my mother and she LOVES it. Her biggest priority was the ease of getting in and out as well as back seat comfort. I showed her a ton of options without much budget restriction. The CRV won hands down.

If you decide soon you could find some great deals on the CRV BS4 stock clearance that makes it a sweet deal.

The Kia carnival would also be a great option but the fact that it had a hand bar to pull yourself in means it’s not the best for this purpose. Also it’s a much larger car for the city.

Last edited by Sahil : 24th January 2020 at 07:13.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 18:01   #17
BHPian

Re: What 25-35 lakh car for my senior citizen mom? Priority is ease of ingress & egress

I test drove the Kia Carnival Limousine edition today and was completely blown away! Smooth engine, very spacious, very premium interiors and whole lot of features. I'm not sure about getting it though because as Sahil pointed it out it has a hand bar to pull yourself for the middle row which I think pretty much rules it out. Will get the CRV for TD and see how that goes. Thank you everyone. Thanks for wishing my mom. Means much!
determinism is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 13:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

If luxury is not a criteria, the Ertiga or Ertiga xl would be most ideal from an ingress /egress. Else as GTO mentioned, the Kia seltos, VW kodiaq/taigun crossover or a harrier/discovery sport may be ideal.

Cheers
Old 25th March 2020, 01:54   #19
BHPian

To all those who’s suggesting Kia Carnival, as good as the car is, the ingress requires a lot of efforts and wouldn’t be suitable at all as the car doesn’t get any fancy air suspension to lower it. If you’re open to pre owned I’d suggest look at the Discovery Sport otherwise as Sahil mentioned above the CR-V. The latter is a great car but loses value rapidly and has a very poor resale but if you’re planning to keep it then it’s a great option and fits your budget. In terms of sedan I don’t think neither the C / 3 / XE will be suitable as they are pretty darn low.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 13:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Upon reading the thread, I understand that your mother's requirement would be for something which is:- 1) Easy to get into (preferably a high riding sedan or An MPV or a low riding SUV)
2) A car which has a good amount of legroom in the backseat. (Which narrows it down to down to an MPV or Sedan)

If luxury is not a priority, the best option is the Maruti Ertiga XL6 in the MPV segment but if your mother is comfortable with it, you should get the Kia Carnival Limousine.
But if you prefer having a sedan, take a look at the Volkswagen Vento or the Skoda Octavia.
Old 8th May 2020, 20:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest MG Hector. It has a completely flat floor board. Makes ingress and egress extremely easy. My mom is short in height and she found ingress and egress extremely easy in it.
Old 8th May 2020, 21:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

My two cents.

You should look at a car that has

* Independent rear suspension - more comfort.
* Soft suspension set up.
* Just tall enough for easy ingress and egress.
* Greater recline angle for rear seat as sitting too upright can put strain on the knees.
* Plenty of knee room.

Corolla Altis would've made a good choice. Guess it's discontinued. You may still be able to find one from their unsold inventory. It's still possible to register a BS4 car because of the extended lockdown I reckon.

You must also keep the Carnival option open. Though an MPV, it's slung quite low. It has a soft suspension set up and has supple ride comfort even in city speeds. Sliding doors are a boon for easy ingress and egress. When possible, take your mom to the showroom and figure out if she's comfortable getting in and out. Take a test drive with her in the captain seats. The sideways adjustment of seats may help in an easy ingress too. Downside is the hassle of using such a long van in city limits.

Stay away from cars that doesn't feature independent rear suspension (Seltos, Hector et al). It won't be suitable for elderly people in more ways than one.

Another car worth considering is Tiguan All Space.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 8th May 2020 at 21:55.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks