Team-BHP > What Car?

Old 23rd January 2020, 09:11   #1
BHPian

Default What 25-35 lakh car for my senior citizen mom? Priority is ease of ingress & egress

Mom is due for a knee(both) replacement surgery soon. Her knees have been bad for many years now and the sedan (2009 e280) she is using is old and costing quite a bit maintaining it. The only other thing I'd be concerned for her would be a spacious rear passenger seat (where she sits). Entertainment features are not important. This car will be for only her usage. Her car is chauffer driven and the most km she does in a year is about 5000.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.
determinism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: What 25-35 lakh car for my senior citizen mom? Priority is ease of ingress & egress

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinism View Post
This car will be for only her usage. Her car is chauffer driven and the most km she does in a year is about 5000..
Hi, please check this thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...couple-10.html (Which car for personal use of an elderly couple?)
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:29   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: What 25-35 lakh car for my senior citizen mom? Priority is ease of ingress & egress

Quote:
Mom is due for a knee(both) replacement surgery soon. Her knees have been bad for many years. The only other thing I'd be concerned for her would be a spacious rear passenger. This car will be for only her usage. Her car is chauffer driven.
Look no further than Innova Petrol or the new Kia carnival. You sit very upright, more like a chair in innova and I assume it will be same in Kia as well.

If you must need a luxury sedan, try to find an old 7. It has best seating posture. Good examples with low mileage from 2014-15 can be had for as little as 30 lac here in north.
A little OT, I have seen lifestyle of people improving drastically after knee surgery. We all wish her a good luck with surgery.

Last edited by Turbanator : 23rd January 2020 at 09:32.
Turbanator is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:06   #4
BHPian

Quote:
The only other thing I'd be concerned for her would be a spacious rear passenger seat (where she sits). Entertainment features are not important. This car will be for only her usage. Her car is chauffer driven and the most km she does in a year is about 5000.
Keeping ingress/egress, rear seat ergonomics, ride quality and ease of maintainance as priorities, cars already on the market that come to mind are:
1. Honda CR-V
2. Hyundai Tucson

I wouldn't suggest the Innova (or the superior Hexa) as any BOF vehicle would pose a access challenge. I'm not a fan of crossovers, but they're the perfect vehicles for easy ingress/egress - I'd strongly advise against any hatch/sedan/BOF (no matter how much better for the money in other aspects) for such a case. Nothing like a crossover here.

What I would strongly suggest is that you hold on and wait a little bit for the Citroen C5 AirCross (and/or its "premium" DS sibling) to come out in our market.

It is half a segment below the CR-V in size, but that shouldn't be an issue. It's USP is that it has no sporty aspirations and focuses only on 2 aspects of the crossover experience - comfort and practicality (the case with all the Citroen crossovers apparently. The DS sibling also comes with superior dampers + camera based adaptive adjustment for said dampers, and that system is supposed to be much more than just a gimmick.

It might turn out to be the perfect vehicle for her. Do wait for a TD before you make the decision IMHO.

P.S - No association with Citroen, and I don't even like French aesthetics/product optimisation one bit. But they have a very clear product focus that might be perfect for OP's requirements, hence I bring it up.

Last edited by Mu009 : 23rd January 2020 at 10:11. Reason: Added some stuff
Mu009 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:15   #5
BHPian

I strongly suggest the KIA Carnival. Looks like another promising product from the KIA stable. Your MOM won't have problem in ingress and egress as it sits shorter compared to other cars.
Storm2.0 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:42   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Mom is due for a knee(both) replacement surgery soon. Her knees have been bad for many years now and the sedan (2009 e280) she is using is old and costing quite a bit maintaining it. The only other thing I'd be concerned for her would be a spacious rear passenger seat (where she sits).
Assuming she has no problem in with ingress/egress of E class. I would suggest Toyota Camry which is slightly above your budget but definitely a worthy contender. Corolla should be equally good too.

If getting in/out of MUV is not much of an issue, then either an Innova and new carnival will do the job. Before making a decision for MUV, I strongly suggest that she tries them and use for a while.

My personal choice for the above mentioned purpose will be Camry.

PS: Not suggesting Superb/Passat as I feel rear seat comfort, reliability & service experience of Camry will be much better.
harsha.muvva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 13:41   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

We were in a similar boat with mom, who hates climbing into cars as she has hurt her ankle. Forget the Innova, even the Tiguan & Creta would have the odd complain.

Prior to this she was using the E60 5 series which was nice but not really the car to be driven around in + I hated seeing it be used for chores & it had a similarly low running.
The C / 3 / A4 were a little on the lower side making it a little pain to get out.

Picked up a Corolla Altis AT and there has been no looking back since! Massive legroom with the front seat pushed all the way ahead, chiller AC, low maintenance, smooth CVT, etc.
Heck, compared to the 5 - the Corolla's fit the house so well that the running has actually increased by 25%.
Only suggestion would be to swap the VL rims for something with a higher profile and comfort oriented, and the NVH isn't great either and will take getting used too.

If not this, then would recommend a Superb / Camry Hybrid. The only CSUV I would recommend is the S-Cross which IMHO is the easiest to get in & out of in the segment.

EDIT: Kia Carnival too seems like a good option. Thanks for pointing it out Turbonator & Storm2.0

Last edited by lamborghini : 23rd January 2020 at 13:42.
lamborghini is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 13:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
new Kia carnival
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
I strongly suggest the KIA Carnival.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
EDIT: Kia Carnival too seems like a good option. Thanks for pointing it out Turbonator & Storm2.0
Somewhat
Just checked it out myself. I am completely blown away
Seems not only like a great recommendation for the OP, but what's so special about it is that it is getting even an enthusiast like me excited despite knowing all about it being a budget minivan/90's mom-mobile from a developed market - a segment with a whole lot of dark humour and stigma attached to owners of such vehicles.

Next step - Telluride with a V6 petrol. Or a hot hatch.
Old 23rd January 2020, 14:16   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Out of 1000s of cars available in the market, it is very difficult to zero down. Hence, I write this only to get more clarity on the requirement so that the decision can be made a bit more easier.

If the demand "Ingress Egress should be easy" is the top most priority, then, only a tall boy design and sedan fits the bill.

Any SUV demands climbing the car. So, a person who has knees replaced surgically, will not enjoy SUV at all. Only a Sedan with Tall boy design support this requirement.

Also, Suggest not to go with lesser cabin height because, when your mom sits inside the car, her knees should not be bent. Also, people find it very uncomfortable by stretching the leg for long time without bending. And she is not suppose to bend the legs because of knee replacement.

My two cents. But, you need to consider these points before taking a decision on the car
Old 23rd January 2020, 16:44   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Look no further than Innova Petrol or the new Kia carnival. You sit very upright, more like a chair in innova and I assume it will be same in Kia as well.
Carnival might be okay, but not the Innova. My 76-year old Mum always has a bit of trouble climbing in. Wouldn't recommend any body-on-frame UV here.

Would suggest crossovers like the Kodiaq, CR-V and gang. The Kodiaq has enough luxury to make up for the E280's absence.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 19:09   #11
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Default Re: What 25-35 lakh car for my senior citizen mom? Priority is ease of ingress & egress

Carnival seems to be the sweet spot. Automatic opening doors, sits low to the ground, very comfortable captain seat with loads of adjustments especially in the 7 seater version.
Old 23rd January 2020, 21:06   #12
BHPian

Default Re: What 25-35 lakh car for my senior citizen mom? Priority is ease of ingress & egress

After using Innova for years, and my Mom getting on with age, was on the lookout for an appropriate replacement for a long time.
Getting into Innova/Crysta meant two steps for my shortish Mom, with a sidestep being mandatory. Sedans were a strict no-no as that meant lifting herself up to get out. Same getting in difficulties with less manouvering room in crossovers.
After a long and thorough search in all price ranges, the only vehicles with the right vehicle/seat height combo were the Honda BR-V and Ertiga.
The XL6 worked out perfectly for me in terms of comfort features and functionality. The captain seats allows for my Mom to wear the seat belt in the rear comfortably and getting in/out is very easy.
Probably doesn't meet the image requirements, but I would sacrifice that any day for functionality.
Try the XL6 would be my suggestion.

Cheers.
gthang is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 00:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Check out the Camry, or maybe even an used R-Class Carnival is definitely a climb up into the cabin so forget about it.
Old 24th January 2020, 01:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

The first thing you should do is find a vehicle into which she can slide in and out easily. too high and climbing up becomes a pain. Too low and she can get it easily, but getting out requires major effort.

Second, look at an upright seating position if at all possible. Generally these are better.

Third, look at the ergonomics of the seat in question. Considering the seat is not designed for your mom specially, it might well be uncomfortable for her. Ensure you go on a long test drive in any car you shortlist. Anybody will be comfortable in a 5 minute drive, but you might not enjoy it after 1 hour. If getting long TD's isn't possible, rent the cars for a day or two and see if your mom is OK with it.

Fourth, look at vehicles that have a suspension setup designed for comfort.

And finally, look at all options. You might find a left field option that is comfortable for her, but might have other issues (badge, lack of good ASC etc).
Old 24th January 2020, 06:32   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Mom is due for a knee(both) replacement surgery soon.
Though your budget is higher and usage is low, the first suggestion which came to my mind was the Renault Lodgy. Very compliant ride and ease of ingress/egress. However, AFAIK, it has been entirely discontinued.

So, maybe you can go for the Renault Triber. You can remove the last row seats, and slide the middle seats to the furthest extent for extra space. Additionally, you could splurge on creature comforts, maybe get customized seats with leg support to help your mother rest her legs easily.
Since the car is going to be used by your mother only, the slight underpowered engine will not become a problem.

Or, you may check out the MG Hector. Most reviewers have loved its plush ride quality designed to tackle bad city roads with ease.

Most Viewed