Team-BHP > What Car?

Old 16th February 2020, 15:32   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Petrol S-Cross or Petrol Vitara Brezza?

Are you really sure you want only either of these? Because save for the confirmed 4-star rating on Global-NCAP, I can't find any other positive attribute. The overdone chrome elements on both cars look gaudy. The archaic torque converter does it's job well (tested and proven unit), but looks quite embarrassing in the age of CVTs and 7-speed DSGs. Not even a 6-speed damnit!
I doubt they'd be half as engaging to drive as your Ford. The new EPS is truly horrible in terms of feedback (Not just Suzuki.) The 1.5 is just "adequate" in the Ciaz. Must perform better in a lighter car, but the 1.0 BoosterJet would've been infinitely cooler.
It's shocking how, even in cars above 10L, MSIL refuses to offer any more than 2 airbags! Says a lot about their commitment to safety.

But in the end, it's your choice, sir. I'll respect your opinion.

Personally I think, the EcoSport would be the perfect successor for the Fusion, in terms of handling and build quality. The Titanium AT offers 6 airbags. If your willing to look past the fact it's got fewer cylinders, , by all means it's perfect.

Do consider the Venue as well. The SX(O) is well priced and offers equipment that the Creta charges for way more! The 1.0 GDI, albeit a 3-cylinder, makes more power on paper than their bigger 1.5 NA. Hyundai has come a long way in terms of handling and high speed manners, that I suggest you test drive one too.

Or maybe wait for more, and check out it's Kia cousin, the Sonet. It's got some kind of fancy automatic transmission, that's in a nutshell, a manual with automatic rev-matching. Please consult other news for more details. Being a Kia, it'll be well-equipped and well-priced too. You could stretch the budget, and get the HTX IVT Seltos which in my state would cost 17L on-road approximately, but the Venue offers much more equipment. The 7-speed DCT is very delicate though. Now, Nissan is joining the race too, so let's see.

If you consider sedans, they're incredible VFM too. Unlike the Creta, The Verna offers 6 airbags on an AT variant. The Honda City offers similarly long list of equipment as well. Wait for the new one, if you have to.

If possible, why not look for something used as well? City or Civic ATs would be cheaper to maintain. Or for 15L, you could find F10 320ds or E84 X1s lying around. If you really dig up, you'll find well maintained examples. Be warned, the maintenance costs would be high. You can find newer Q3s, Skoda Octavias or the previous-gen Superbs and Passats too, but I'd avoid the DSG cars like plague.

Good luck, hope any of that helped.
GipsyDanger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 15:38   #32
BHPian

That is a really well kept Fusion. Since, you have already been maintaining a Ford for so long, according to me, Ecosport makes the best sense.

But as GTO suggested, wait for petrol Brezza and S-Cross to launch and then take a call. But I do have this feeling reading your posts that you already want an Ecosport but for the sake of comparison, considering other options as well. Being an Ecsoport owner myself (diesel though) I would suggest you to consider this car only eyes closed.

My dad loves driving it too whenever he visits and he is 56. So, I think you will be able to hold on to this car too for long, all things considered. Happy shopping!
tp_dominator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 16:09   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
This thread has been opened at the right time as I am as well in a similar dilemma.

Only S-Cross and Brezza are somewhat safe vehicles in the Suzuki stable in India.

However I am looking at a manual option and not AT as I can't imagine myself buying a 4-speed AT. If either of these vehicles had a 6 speed AT then it would have been a nobrainer decision.
Good to hear of your perspective and hoping to hear of your decision too, when you are in the position to take it. I would certainly prefer the 6-speed AT (with manual mode) to the 4-speed one, but am willing to compromise on it since much of my driving now is within city limits, and since the 4-speed is on the perceived peace-of-mind Suzukis. Let's see what the TDs reveal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Hey buddy, glad to see a fusion kept in such a pristine condition for this long.

I wouldn’t suggest neither of the cars in question that is Brezza / Scross. I own a Diesel Brezza and I honestly feel the facelift Brezza doesn’t have anything extra except a petrol motor & a revised bumper & LED HL / TL.

Both cars are already showing its age in the market and MSIL doesn’t have anything good to convince ourselves in going for it

Good luck in getting your ride sooner and keep us all updated
Thanks for your kind words and indeed for your owner's perspective. Will certainly update the thread with every development - every test-drive and every negotiation too

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Why don’t you consider the Nexon Petrol AMT?

I do not think the Brezza is well built at all, 4 stars is fine, but the interior plastic quality, fit and finish, materials, all leave a lot to be desired. If I have to live with a car for a decade, the Brezza’s interior would really annoy me after a while.

Also, what about a wild card like the Nexon EV?
Very good point about the interiors, especially the fact that I should give it more attention since I intend to keep the car for at least the next decade, many thanks!

Tata's not being considered for the same reasons the Suzukis are being considered - the peace-of-mind ownership experience. This is second-hand knowledge of course, having never owned either of the two brands recently, but that perception (read: prejudice) along with the AMT make this decision for me.

Have registered for the EV subscription plan on the website but haven't received any information yet. Will be definitely giving it appropriate consideration once the rates are revealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjunathkl View Post
Fusion was my favorite car too for a long time. I couldn't pick one when it was selling. When it stopped selling, I couldn't get a good Fusion on sale for the price. You see, I was not a T-BHP member at that time.

A Maruti will not satisfy an owner of a Ford for 15 years. No matter if that owner is an uncle, grand-dad or great-grand-dad. Ford Ecosport is the officially designated successor of Fusion. Why are you even considering something else?

Sincere friendly advice: Dude, she is not for you. You are leagues ahead of her. She is no match for your character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjunathkl View Post
I have nothing big against S-cross. It was designed for US market by Suzuki global and hence it is one of the best built Maruti (even better than Brezza IMO). Performs decently too (while the new engine is a black-box still). The only problem with S-cross is that there are far better cars from other brands which also outsells S-cross with a margin of thousands. Creta and Seltos

Since you are particular about AT, S-cross's AT is the most ancient AT in the market (not that you don't know), but it is hugely inferior by 2020 standards. It doesn't even have a manual mode.

Brezza is a good car. It is an Indianized Vitara with proportions made suitable to take advantage of tax exemptions. With the new 1.5 petrol engine, that advantage is gone. So, compromising on length makes no sense now.
Thank you for your generous and detailed response. Your insights will definitely help me arrive at my decision for sure, if they haven't already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
I am in the same boat punatic. Thanks for putting the thread out.

AMTs and DCTs are out of the options for me. Reliability being the key, I am only looking forward to CVTs and TCs. Having an all Maruti garage currently and being served well by the product and service alike, the inclination towards the perceived safer Marutis is natural. But I still feel that it's a game of compromises or adjustments even after spending north of 10 lacs. Hence I am doing what GTO suggested - WAIT.
I have to complete one car purchase before Q3 2020. Will be very difficult to wait beyond that.
All said and done, I am looking forward to the decision making process of folks who have similar requirements. Happy car hunting!!!
As ever, there always are like-minded people to be found on team-bhp, aren't there? Encouraged to hear your response and especially agree with your choice re AMTs and DCTs and sticking to ATs and CVTs. Happy car-hunting to you too and hope to hear of your final decision-making process as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRoader_001 View Post
Now, then once you have specified Brezza Vs Scross. Will not beat around bush,I personally own a Brezza 1.3 mjd. S cross is the best what maruti can offer,all disc brakes ,roomier cabin, solid build quality hands down Scross will be my pick between the two and of course make your final decision only after test driving both.Rest other brands as Ford,Mahindra,Kia,Hyundai you will need to stretch the budget.
Thanks for the response XRoader! S-Cross does seem to be the superior product compared to its cousin, but will be TDing the EcoSport as well. Definitely don't want to go beyond the 1.5 million on-road mark - the use-case simply does not justify that kind of splurge, especially with the Ford available below that price - so will consider the Seltos/Creta only if the S-Cross and EcoSport TDs both disappoint me somehow. Unexpected, but let's see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_dominator View Post
That is a really well kept Fusion. Since, you have already been maintaining a Ford for so long, according to me, Ecosport makes the best sense.

My dad loves driving it too whenever he visits and he is 56. So, I think you will be able to hold on to this car too for long, all things considered. Happy shopping!
That is really helpful, thank you for sharing this detail!

Last edited by Punatic : 16th February 2020 at 16:11.
Punatic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 16:41   #34
BHPian

I am in a similar boat as you and decided to just wait. I want an automatic, spacious to seat 5 people, long term (10+ years), reliable, SUVish car in the range of 12Lakhs. There seem to be none suiting that in the market.

SCross and Brezza have an old AT gearbox. Celtos has unreliable DCT and the existing owners seem to have niggles. Creta too gets DCT. XUV300 has almost no boot and has a temporary AT gear solution. Ecosport engine feels aged for me, considering that I want to keep for 10+ years and also lacks in seating space in the back.

My hope is that Maruti + Toyota may bring safer (if Tata and Mahindra could cause pressure) hybrid vehicles with better AT boxes in a couple of years.
psankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 17:34   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punatic View Post

Which brings me to the topic of the thread: which of these should I consider? My requirements, during my fallback research, in no particular order, have been:
  • Sturdy build quality
  • Decent Ground-Clearance
  • Petrol engine
  • Automatic Transmission
  • Not too big
  • Not too small
  • BS6
  • As many safety features as possible
  • Preferably below 15 lakhs on-road
  • Preferably more pliant ride-quality than the Fusion
  • Preferably better performance than the Baleno, i20, Jazz segment
As an S-Cross owner for the last 4 years, I can share that S-Cross does fit all of your requirements except the last. First of all, we don't know how the engine, what state of tune it will be in and how it performs with that car. You can be rest assured that Maruti will tune it for the highest fuel efficiency at the cost of performance. Therefore I wouldn't expect too much performance from it to begin with.

When you test drive, please consider taking 5 people and luggage on board and climbing a slope. It might come handy in a real world usage.

The S-Cross is not devoid of typical Maruti problems. While the build quality is better than many other Maruti products, you will still get rattles, poorly finished areas and small issues. There are many issues including but not limited to
  • Rattling
  • Poor parts with premature failures (My rear suspension failed prematurely and was replaced under warranty)
  • Coolant leak due to a badly designer part (several instances reported on our forum and on my ownership thread)
  • Premature failure of gas struts in the rear door.
  • Poor lights
  • Horrible wipers - It starts fading in less than two months of replacement
  • Windows glasses are not a tight fit in the door channels.
  • Poor beading on doors.
  • Sub par windshield and window glass quality
and so forth....

Not to mention that my service bills were nothing less than 6.5K every single time. Not sure how it will be with the petrol engine though, but you might get an idea about it by looking out for ownership reports of other cars where this engine is used.

Coming to the transmission - As every one has suggested, they are using a really old 4 speed transmission that is terribly boring and inefficient. That would be the biggest blocker for me to pick the AT.

The ride quality on the highway is excellent with good road manners. Ride on bad & broken roads are really good. I have never scraped anywhere with this car and it gives me good confidence to take on bad roads. I can also assure you though that their service and response should be really excellent. If there is a genuine claim, Maruti will provide great service. There are many escalation channels to get issues resolved.

Given all this, I suggest you WAIT, Test drive and if it still appeals to you, go for it.

Last edited by sudeepg : 16th February 2020 at 17:37.
sudeepg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 17:48   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsyDanger View Post
Personally I think, the EcoSport would be the perfect successor for the Fusion. If you're willing to look past the fact it's got fewer cylinders, by all means it's perfect.
Thanks for responding, somehow missed your post earlier. It does look like that's what I'll eventually go for, but I definitely want to wait for these two Suzukis' launches

Quote:
Do consider the Venue as well. Hyundai has come a long way in terms of handling and high speed manners, that I suggest you test drive one too.

Or maybe wait for more, and check out it's Kia cousin, the Sonet.

You could stretch the budget, and get the HTX IVT Seltos which in my state would cost 17L on-road approximately, but the Venue offers much more equipment. The 7-speed DCT is very delicate though.
Worried about the DCT errors as well, as reported by fellow-bhpians. Would like to stick to the no-frills ATs as far as possible! Peace-of-mind is going to be the decisive factor in this purchase.

Quote:
If you consider sedans, they're incredible VFM too.
GC is too important for me GipsyDanger. Plenty of capable sedans, even some of the smaller ones are pretty cool, but GC < 180 is a deal breaker for me.

Quote:
If possible, why not look for something used as well?
I tried the used-car market but somehow just wasn't able to convince myself to go for one. Even TD-ed a few, and found a decent specimen or two, but sticking to new ones. I've convinced myself that BS6 is a big deal and I should move with the times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
As an S-Cross owner for the last 4 years, I can share that S-Cross does fit all of your requirements except the last.

When you test drive, please consider taking 5 people and luggage on board and climbing a slope. It might come handy in a real world usage.
Good tip, thank you!

Quote:
The S-Cross is not devoid of typical Maruti problems. While the build quality is better than many other Maruti products, you will still get rattles, poorly finished areas and small issues. There are many issues...

Not to mention that my service bills were nothing less than 6.5K every single time. Not sure how it will be with the petrol engine though.
Sorry to hear of these. Hope your car's doing better now! Will keep this in mind as well, many thanks!

Quote:
The ride quality on the highway is excellent with good road manners. Ride on bad & broken roads are really good. I have never scraped anywhere with this car and it gives me good confidence to take on bad roads. I can also assure you though that their service and response should be really excellent. If there is a genuine claim, Maruti will provide great service. There are many escalation channels to get issues resolved.

Given all this, I suggest you WAIT, Test drive and if it still appeals to you, go for it.
That's good to hear. Ultimately, I expect the final call between the EcoSport's overall superiority and the S-Cross' ride quality and after-sales. Thanks for responding with your thoughts sudeepg!

Last edited by Punatic : 16th February 2020 at 17:55.
Old 16th February 2020, 20:31   #37

I was in similar predicament about a year back. My options at that point were the diesel Brezza, the diesel S-Cross and the Creta.

The TD of the Brezza was unsatisfactory. We did not like the interiors much. It actually felt quite cramped.
The quality of the plastics also felt quite cheap; not the kind you expect when you buy a car of about 10 Lakhs.

Compared to that, the S-Cross TD was great. There was a premium feel to the interiors.
The space inside was also much more as compared to the Brezza.

Finally, we bought the S-Cross home on Valentines Day last year.
We got the Delta model and added a Sony-XAV 5000 infotainment system (having Android Auto and Apple Car Play) and few other accessories.

We also through about the Creta, however it was over budget for us.

It has been one year with the S-Cross and the ownership has been great.
And the good part is, with the good GC, it can be driven without fear on bad roads.
And the vast Maruti Service network provides comfort.
We recently went on a long road trip from Delhi covering Ajmer/Pushkar, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Bikaner and Jaipur.
The car performed flawlessly and the interior comfort and space is very well suited for long drives with a (hyper active) kid.

When we purchased, the front look was something I was not comfortable with.
But, with time, I have got used to it and am even starting to like it somewhat.

One question why I had and have not got a good answer to is: The RC of the car classifies it as a Diesel Hybrid and the validity is for 15 years.
I have seen other RC's of the S-Cross which do not have the SVHS system and their validity is for 10 years.
So, is it a fact that the car really has a validity of 15 years? I do intend to drive the car for as long as I can (I had an Alto which we drove for 14 years and then had to let go of it due to the SC guidelines applicable in Delhi; it was good for many more years though)
anand_roy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 21:20   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psankar View Post
I am in a similar boat as you and decided to just wait. I want an automatic, spacious to seat 5 people, long term (10+ years), reliable, SUVish car in the range of 12Lakhs. There seem to be none suiting that in the market.

SCross and Brezza have an old AT gearbox. Celtos has unreliable DCT and the existing owners seem to have niggles. Creta too gets DCT. XUV300 has almost no boot and has a temporary AT gear solution. Ecosport engine feels aged for me, considering that I want to keep for 10+ years and also lacks in seating space in the back.

My hope is that Maruti + Toyota may bring safer (if Tata and Mahindra could cause pressure) hybrid vehicles with better AT boxes in a couple of years.
Seltos CVT would be better choice than uncertain DCT. Creta is old now. Besides, it is completely eclipsed by Seltos, in looks. You might as well wait for new Duster CVT with 157 bhp and 254 NM torque which would arrive in April. That would be some dark horse. Not a looker though. Between Brezza and S-Cross, the latter scores on all fronts but 4-speed AT is a downer.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 21:34   #39

S-Cross:

Pros:
  • I like its looks, largely, and its proportions and roominess
  • Safety features reasonably up to the mark, all disc brakes (assuming Diesel variant specs are carried over)
  • Meets my other main requirements (GC is 180, build quality is solid)
  • Handling and ride quality were both good in the diesel, unlikely to regress in the petrol
  • 4-cylinder engine, against EcoSport's 3
  • True AT, with goodies (Hill-hold, creep functionality) present
  • Seems the ideal successor of the Fusion, the original crossover

Cons:
  • ESP/ESC missing
  • 2 airbags against EcoSport's 6
  • 4-speed AT, against EcoSport's 6
  • That chrome grill
  • SHVS stop-start might irritate me

Brezza:

Pros:
  • I don't mind its looks
  • Safety features reasonably up to the mark (as evidenced by the 4-star rating, assuming Diesel variant specs are carried over)
  • Meets my other main requirements (GC is 198, build quality is reasonably solid)
  • Handling was decent in the diesel, ride quality might be better in the petrol
  • 4-cylinder engine, against EcoSport's 3
  • True AT, with goodies (Hill-hold, creep functionality) present
  • Not as cramped as the EcoSport, but will still be easier to park than the S-Cross

Cons:
  • ESP/ESC missing
  • 2 airbags against EcoSport's 6
  • 4-speed AT, against EcoSport's 6
  • SHVS stop-start might irritate me
  • Not as roomy as the S-Cross
  • Mrs. P hates its looks, and not just out of jealousy

I'm I the only one wondering, S-Cross & Brezza have got proper ATs!!!

No, I don't think so. Not in India at least.

S-Cross has 4 variants I guess and all offer only manual transmission.

Brezza has AT, but it's AMT, not the proper AT (I mean the Torque Converter)
Old 16th February 2020, 21:43   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Not adding to the confusion but let me chip in with some additional dimension to this discussion:

1. BHPian Punatic shouldn't assume that Maruti=Good Service. It depends a lot on the dealer(unless escalated) and if he is satisfied with Ford's local dealer, that's a big plus. Do take feedback from existing Maruti owners in your city before any decision.

2. While both Brezza and S Cross are based on same platforms(which in turn was shared with the old SX4), parts of S Cross will become rare sooner than Brezza. Brezza has sold more than 5 lac units in around 4 years while S Cross has clocked shade over than 1 lac units of combined sales in almost 5 years. Again this scene will arise only after 10-15 years to make any significant difference in ownership. Just to give you an idea, parts of Grand Vitara and Kizashi are still open from Maruti's end.

3. Features wise, Brezza facelift is a richer product than S Cross.

4. Brezza being a product of regular Maruti arena network, has the benefit of visiting ANY Maruti workshop in the country(Dealer workshop, MASS, MSM or MSZ). S Cross on the other hand can be serviced only with Dealer workshops/MSM or MSZ. Regular MASS cannot handle NEXA cars. In my city atleast it makes a big difference as the dealer workshops are not only expensive but also very incompetent.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 07:56   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
:.

My recommendation = WAIT.

1. Neither of the cars you've listed in the title has been launched yet. While we know the engine, we cannot 100% say how it will behave in these cars, and how it will be tuned. Also, you need to TD them and see which appeals to YOU.
I would still have my doubt on the success and especially drivability of the car in the petrol variant.

My cousin owns the version with the 1.3 engine and i have driven it quite extensively in city traffic conditions and out on the highway. Its a well handling car compared to the Brezza but even with 200 NM of torque I felt the engine to be underpowered for its size and dimension. I believe the same 1.5 petrol engine in the Ciaz and Ertiga produce 138 NM, so I donít know how the market would respond to the lower power spec and plus lower mileage compared to the diesel.
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 08:38   #42
BHPian

Scross 200 is not underpowered (unless you are talking of speeds above 130) but it suffers from turbolag to some degree. Hence you should adapt your driving style accordingly. The cars revs easily. So you should upshift only when you are above 2000 rpm and may need to downshift before a tight overtake especially if you are doing around 80 in the fifth gear.

Once you get the Hang of it, you start realizing that the engine characteristics are apt for the Indian roads.

Maruti is good at giving what the market needs. I expect that to continue in Scross petrol too. The car should have adequate power and will be very usable. You will not get bragging rights though. For that , please be prepared to Shell out 30-40% etc. Ecosport is a decent choice too but you will need to live with the lack of space and stiff ride. Even the Figo has more space than the ecosport.
vishnurp99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 08:58   #43
BHPian

Like others mentioned earlier, I would recommend the Ecosport as it has better build quality, engine refinement and most importantly a better transmission. I have been using the Ford DCT for over 4 yrs now and yearly maintenance has been less than 3500. Yes the DCT in traffic is not that great, but Ford solved that problem with a torque converter which is even more smooth and lot more reliable. It also comes with paddle shifters. Test drive the Ford AT and Brezza or Scross back to back and you will realize the difference easily.
Chillout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 14:02   #44
BHPian

Another thought that crossed my mind was that only the Brezza and S-Cross, were the models in the lineup which were only available in diesel avatars. So either Marurti felt that there is no market for these cars with a petrol motor or they felt the 1.5 petrol unit available was not suitable for these cars. So, now because of BS6 they are forced to make a move which they were reluctant to do in the past for reasons best known to them.
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 14:06   #45
BHPian

I was in the same boat. I chose the S-Cross over the Brezza. The Brezza tried too hard to look cool, lacked all disc brakes whilst the S-Cross was more understated and it came with servicing from the Nexa guys. I guess you can pay and get the Brezza serviced at Nexa too - am not sure if the free servicing can be utilized for the Brezza at the Nexa service stations. In fact, I am sitting in a Nexa lounge since morning getting my S-cross serviced working on my next novel.

Anyhow, if only 2 people are sitting most of the time - you can't go wrong with the EcoSport either, although it is considerably smaller. If you are driving in the city most of the time, a 4 speed AT should suffice.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed