Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2020, 12:49   #46
BHPian

Re: Petrol S-Cross or Petrol Vitara Brezza?

I would suggest you to Wait because the performance of Petrol S-Cross is still unchartered territory.
I own a pre-facelift Scross DDis 200 and can say it is quite a heavy car. The new petrol engine with the 130-140nm torque is something I am a little concerned about.

If you need a car urgently, then consider the Seltos please. Its a brilliant car.

I'm not talking about the Brezza because Mrs.P hates it anyway and from personal experience, its not as great as the Cross in terms of comfort, ergonomics and space. It looks better though
Coplay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 13:03   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coplay View Post
I would suggest you to Wait because the performance of Petrol S-Cross is still unchartered territory.
I own a pre-facelift Scross DDis 200 and can say it is quite a heavy car. The new petrol engine with the 130-140nm torque is something I am a little concerned about.

If you need a car urgently, then consider the Seltos please. Its a brilliant car.

I'm not talking about the Brezza because Mrs.P hates it anyway and from personal experience, its not as great as the Cross in terms of comfort, ergonomics and space. It looks better though
What do you mean by "heavy"? It's perhaps a bit heavier by Suzuki standards but I find it on par with the others.
invidious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 13:10   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
What do you mean by "heavy"? It's perhaps a bit heavier by Suzuki standards but I find it on par with the others.
Oh my bad, I meant it was heavier than the Brezza. I'm assuming the weight will drop with the new petrol engine.
Coplay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 13:56   #49
Senior - BHPian

If I were in a similar position, I would go for the S-Cross over the Brezza. Simply because it has a bigger boot and more cabin space in general. S-Cross has some level of novelty. The Vitara Brezza is everywhere. Anyone who has money and wants a Maruti car buys the Vitara Brezza

I have read somewhere that SHVS is not going to be offered in Brezza Petrol Manual. I drive the new 1.5 Ertiga and I can say that its a very nice engine, little loud at higher rpms but not a deal breaker at all, and the SHVS tech does help in giving a little bit of extra push to the car when needed. If that engine is combined with better dynamics of S-Cross and hoping that the S-Cross gets SHVS, it would be a good car to drive. But you can always test drive both before making a decision !
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 14:13   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know of how much help would my post be, considering I own a Brezza for nearly 4 years (in May) and my brother owns a facelift S-Cross for one and a half years. Both are powered by the same 1.3L diesel engines, although the S-Cross gets a SHVS system. I've driven both extensively. I'll put in my thoughts.

Looks -
It's subjective. I did not like the previous S-Cross. Had the facelift been launched when I was looking for a new car, I would have definitely picked it up over Brezza. The new Brezza although looks good.

Handling -
S-Cross is anyday better in handling than Brezza. But Brezza is also not bad. Handling also depends a lot on the driver. Brezza has better approach and departure angles compared to S-Cross, as well as higher GC.

Engine-Gearbox combo-
Since both the vehicles in question will have same powertrain which is new for them, the exact performance can be found only after driving both through same route. What I would like to point out is that our S-Cross has SHVS which doesn't give the same feel as Brezza while acceleration. There is some lack of punch as noticed by my brother after he drove my Brezza last week. The same SHVS will be seen in the automatic petrol of both cars but since both will have similar setup, the performance should be near similar.

Build quality -
Both the cars are one of the best build cars by Maruti. But S-Cross feels better than Brezza. For me, the best in build quality from Maruti was Ritz .

Space -
S-Cross has oodles of space especially when you're moving out with family. It gobbles up luggage with elan. In Brezza, fitting in same amount of luggage would mean removing the parcel tray and then adjusting the luggage.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 18th February 2020 at 14:30.
BoneCollector is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 16:10   #51
BHPian

Visited the Nexa showroom at Baner earlier this afternoon, seeking details of the S-Cross Petrol, only to be informed that they expect the launch to be by August!

Last edited by Punatic : 28th February 2020 at 16:39.
Old 29th February 2020, 08:32   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punatic View Post
Visited the Nexa showroom at Baner earlier this afternoon, seeking details of the S-Cross Petrol, only to be informed that they expect the launch to be by August!
Please don’t go by their words. With BS4 era ending soon, S cross has to be updated to BS 6 norms. They can’t hibernate a model for 4 to 5 months. Maruti doesn’t have any other engine except the 1.5 petrol (for s cross). Just wait for few days. S cross should launch in Petrol in March.
smileline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 14:10   #53
BHPian

@Punatic
I am also in same boat. I have decided for scross based on the build quality, bit more premium and much better space. Waiting for test drives or some news from Maruti. It looks like it would get launched in March itself
vikasb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 22:56   #54
BHPian

Some unsolicited updates:

Test drove the EcoSport twice, at two different dealers, in two different weeks, and loved it of course. Went and test-drove the Seltos today and loved it too. Massive overkill for a two-person household that clocked in 3k km last calendar-year, but what a gorgeous car the Seltos is! Wish they'd released it, say, 5 years ago. And this reaction is coming, I must point out, after I used absolutely none of the much-talked of features during the TD, well, apart from the HUD which is literally right in front of you.

Thinking of waiting for Kia's 4m SUV now. Unless the two Ford dealers win me over in a dogfight by taking the on-road price for the Titanium+ AT below 13 big ones...
Punatic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 17:49   #55
BHPian

Came across this thread just now, realise it's a little late. However, I own both an S-Cross and an EcoSport AT, thought I'd share a few observations.

Would you be open to pre-owned? If so, the S-Cross 1.6 would be the right replacement for your Fusion I think. Power, ride and handling are comparable to Fords IMHO. I love the highway manners of this car. No automatic though..

Compared to this, I don't think the EcoSport is as comfortable on the highway. While the ride and handling is slightly better, there's just too much road noise filtering through. It's super comfy for city rides though. I did test-drive the Brezza AMT before buying the EcoSport, did not like it one bit. It's noisy and jerky, interiors are not as nice. Looking at the new petro Brezza review, I don't see much difference in interiors, although the petrol AT will be better than the diesel AMT.

BTW, my mantra these days is "buy used, keep for long" . Both of these recent buys are pre-owned, and it looks like they'll stay. I also own a 16-year-old WagonR, and fully understand your desire to keep your Fusion going while also looking at alternatives.
npal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 13:32   #56
BHPian

Hi, Not sure if it's a right time to buy a new car, but there is a positive news for you Punatic, Petrol S Cross to launch in May 2020, as per news from Autocar India. Check the link.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...t-month-416150
smileline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 16:47   #57
BHPian

Update:

As suggested, advised, recommended and indeed predicted by many on this thread, I've booked the Ford EcoSport Titanium+ AT (Petrol) after sampling a rather wider spectrum composed of everything from the Renault Triber to the 5th Gen Honda City with Seltos, Venue, Nexon, Yaris and of course the Vitara Brezza thrown in between.

Wanted to try the new Kicks too, and would probably have considered it very seriously, but there's no Nissan dealer operational in Pune. Was never able to drive the S-Cross Petrol (yet to be launched), or the Kia Sonet (same reason), since my Fusion's afterlife begins in mid-September and I had to move at the earliest, though they would have been in contention too. Ultimately, turned out it's the EcoSport that fits my needs perfectly. I will write a detailed description of my hunt soon, some of it has been really interesting.

Many thanks to everyone for joining in the discussion. See you again soon!
Punatic is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 08:31   #58
BHPian

Updated the buying experience here (2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review). Once again, many thanks for being a part of it
Punatic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 12:11   #59

Hello Everyone,

First of all, I would like to thank the moderators for allowing me to be the part of this great forum. I feel honoured. Thank You.

Congrats dear Punatic Sir for purchasing the Ecosport. It's a great vehicle to own.

I was thinking of posting a new topic about the great confusion one faces while looking for a vehicle in 9 to 11.5 lac price bracket because of the overlapping of options from different segments. Then I came across this post. It addresses my confusion. So, I am writing a few words here about this dilemma.

For the last one year, I have been looking for a good upgrade for my Maruti Alto. But I could not find a satisfying answer to my requirements which are:

1. My height is 6 feet and the body build is on the heavier side.

2. A spacious vehicle for five members.

3. Looking for an all round vehicle for city (not a very big city) and hill driving (once in a month) including occasional highway trips. The vehicle must perform well on very steep hilly roads with five occupants on board.

4. Roads are good in my city except very few bad patches here and there. There are few steep speed breakers as well. The issue of water logging during heavy rains does prompt me to go for a vehicle with higher ground clearance because this will be the only vehicle I will be driving.

5. I'm looking to own the vehicle for next 8 to 10 years.

6. My driving will be lesser than 8000-9000 km per year. So, I am looking for a petrol car with manual transmission.

7. I'm looking for a vehicle with at least a reasonable steering feedback and good reliable engine and brakes.

8. Because most of my driving would be in city and hills, I am looking for a vehicle with good all around visibility, and lesser number of blind spots.

9. I like to drive my vehicle in a very relaxed manner.

For the past one month, I am taking the test drives of various vehicles which fall in this price bracket, and I do agree with most of the views shared on this prestigious forum. I have also been reading the various ownership experiences and forums on Team Bhp for past few months.

I had decided to go for the base variant of a bigger SUV, but the recent discussions here has limited my search to only three vehicles:

a. S-Cross

I agree with most of the views shared here. So I will keep this explanation short. I have always appreciated this vehicle for what it offers in that price segment.
The mild hybrid is a good feature to have, I know. But I am not a fan of it (personal opinion). I could not convince myself no matter how hard I tried. My innately over thinking mind is also one of the reasons.

b. Brezza

No mild hybrid and good overall visibility is the reason I am looking for this vehicle. Yes, there are a few areas in which I would like this vehicle to improve, but it still looks like a reliable product.

S-Cross's brakes, interior and handling are better for sure. Brezza is more agile of the two.

c. 5th Genreration Honda City V Manual

This is a great vehicle and most "value for money" option available at present. My driving requirements need me to have a comparatively higher ground clearance. That's the reason I am hesitant as I won't have the luxury of second vehicle available for city driving during peak traffic hours and rains.

d. Nexon is a great vehicle. "The looks are subjective"- this phrase along with visibility are the reasons for not going ahead. Though I must admit that Tata has done a great job and during the test drive I really enjoyed driving this car.

e. Nissan Kicks is a great vehicle and after reading BHPian Godzilla's great ownership review, I was very keen to go for 1.5 L Petrol variant. There is no showroom in our city. So, I am hesitant.

My research on various vehicles has taught me that all vehicles (whether it's Nexon, Scross, Kicks, Honda City, Brezza, or some other vehicle) are really good in what they offer. All the manufactures try their best to cater to the different needs of the buyers, and all the vehicles are great in their own right. The final choice by the buyers would always be depending upon their personal needs and requirements.

Is there any other vehicle I am missing which caters to my needs?

Kindly guide me. Thank You.

Dear Moderators, I have written a very lengthy post here. I am also not sure whether this is the right thread for posting this query, but this thread did coincide with what was going through my mind. Regards
incredible is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 16:59   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punatic View Post
Update:

Ultimately, turned out it's the EcoSport that fits my needs perfectly. I will write a detailed description of my hunt soon, some of it has been really interesting.

Many thanks to everyone for joining in the discussion. See you again soon!
Very good decision except for the space which wont match the Fusion, but considering the prices, I would say the best choice
tirumalavoleti is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed