Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2020, 14:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Petrol S-Cross or Petrol Vitara Brezza?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great job in keeping the car for so long & so well. I follow the same line of thought.

3. If you want to buy one today, go for the EcoSport or the Seltos. You will need to stretch your budget for the latter, but since you hold your cars for so long, better to buy the best - related thread. The Seltos is a top-class machine that will keep you .

I am also in a similar dilemma. My first choice was Ecosport. I recently test drove the top-end petrol (BS6 version). Automatic transmission made a world of difference to convenience in city traffic conditions and Ecosport had a good one. It rode better on the bad roads compared to my old Etios or even a Honda City. However, the ride quality on good roads was probably not as as good as what we get in a sedan. That said, the ride quality was acceptable on any road. The cabin felt premium and the sunroof is a cool feature to have. So it looked like a great upgrade from the bare-bone Etios. It also appeared VFM to me (On road price of top end petrol is under 14 lakhs). Everything is great about Ecosport except the mileage. The mileage in city driving conditions is likely to be in single digits. I do about 12,000 kms in a year. The test drive car had a cumulative mileage of 6.9 km before I started driving. After our run, the cumulative mileage improved to 7 km. I would not be surprised if I get a real world mileage of 8km or less. I would have considered a diesel Ecosport if it had an automatic option.

The only other car with good looks and mileage is Kia Seltos Petrol. But at over 20 lakhs, it is well above my budget. I did not like Creta's boxy looks though Kia made it look more appealing in a Seltos. I liked Venue better and would have considered it had it not looked like a hatchback.

I loved XUV300 too. It actually looks better than even a XUV500. But XUV300's tiny boot made it a non-option. This brought me to Brezza and S Cross. They share the same petrol engine with smart hybrid system that could deliver 50% more mileage than Ecosport. More than Brezza, I like S Cross because it is a size bigger than a sub-compact car. I personally prefer the shorter and mature stance of S Cross. I know the front grille of S Cross polarizes opinion but I am one of those who love it. Unlike the usual dated models sold in India by Japanese car makers, S Cross looks as good as the ones being sold in international markets. I will decide after taking the test drive (hopefully by next month when it gets launched).

I was initially looking forward to the updated versions of Honda City or Hyundai Verna and I still do. If the updated versions hit the market in the next 3 months, it would be a tie between S Cross, new Honda City and new Hyundai Verna. My heart is tilting a bit towards S Cross at the moment.

Will I regret rejecting a car (Ecosport) that I love otherwise only for mileage? I don't know.
amateurpro is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 15:30   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurpro View Post
More than Brezza, I like S Cross because it is a size bigger than a sub-compact car. I personally prefer the shorter and mature stance of S Cross. I know the front grille of S Cross polarizes opinion but I am one of those who love it. Unlike the usual dated models sold in India by Japanese car makers, S Cross looks as good as the ones being sold in international markets. I will decide after taking the test drive (hopefully by next month when it gets launched).

My heart is tilting a bit towards S Cross at the moment.

Will I regret rejecting a car (Ecosport) that I love otherwise only for mileage? I don't know.
We seem to have arrived almost in the same boat from different starting points!

Recalling my diesel S-Cross TD from 3 years ago, the ride quality was definitely pliant compared to the firmer Fords. I think you’re likelier to go for the S-Cross than I am at this stage. I do wish they’d hurry up and launch it already! If I fail to stay away from the EcoSport test-drive till then, they’re going to lose a prospective customer
Punatic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 17:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punatic View Post
We seem to have arrived almost in the same boat from different starting points!

Recalling my diesel S-Cross TD from 3 years ago, the ride quality was definitely pliant compared to the firmer Fords. I think you’re likelier to go for the S-Cross than I am at this stage. I do wish they’d hurry up and launch it already! If I fail to stay away from the EcoSport test-drive till then, they’re going to lose a prospective customer

They may launch S Cross BS6 versions by March. I hope you will get to test drive one soon.

I am in no real hurry but would look at closing the upgrade by April. I would certainly look at the updated City. The new Verna may or may not come soon enough. I may test drive Brezza by next week but it is more out of curiosity.
amateurpro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 17:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
<Warning! Lengthy Post Ahead!>

My trusty old warhorse [Ford Fusion+, petrol; related thread (Excellent service experiences with Dhone Ford, Pune)] will turn 15 this September. The car is still going strong, is still silent and refined as ever, still puts a smile on my face whenever I drive it, still gobbles up potholes and preposterous speed-breakers with aplomb, still handles like a dream and still looks quite nice too, if I may say so myself.

Appreciate the responses!

Congratulations. Ford Fusion was a great car launched well ahead of its time. Even after so many years, your car looks awesome. Ford has managed to stay futuristic in their design with Fusion and Ecosport. I agree it would be tough for you to ignore Ecosport.
amateurpro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 18:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

As an Ecosport AT owner (facelift version) I can tell you one thing for sure. Everytime you drive it, it will put a grin on your face. the harder you drive it, the more rewarding it is. the dynamics, build quality and responsiveness of the engine is sweet.

From a Fusion, the brezza will be a step down in almost all departments. The S cross will be comfortable and well built but the 1.5 L mill with that 4 speed transmission will be dull, if the Ciaz AT is anything to go by (and the Ciaz is a couple of hundered kgs lighter!)

So, the Ecosport is the default option for you if space is not a big priority.

However, if you can stretch your budget, do look at the Kia Seltos 1.4 DCT. its a stonker of a machine and well worth the premium over an Ecosport
himanshugoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 11:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
The S-Cross will be comfortable and well built but the 1.5 L mill with that 4 speed transmission will be dull, if the Ciaz AT is anything to go by (and the Ciaz is a couple of hundred kgs lighter!)
Thanks for pointing that out, hadn't given the weight factor much consideration, not overtly anyway. I guess I must acknowledge the fact that I seem to prefer sedate and leisurely cruising now, and the S-Cross seems well-suited for that. Having said that, I'm probably secretly counting on an EcoSport test-drive to shake me out of this "Oh! Woe is me!" mode

Last edited by Punatic : 15th February 2020 at 12:08.
Punatic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 13:04   #22
BHPian

This thread has been opened at the right time as I am as well in a similar dilemma.

Only S-Cross and Brezza are somewhat safe vehicles in the Suzuki stable in India. Both are based on the C-Platform and not on the 'heart-attack' platform.

However I am looking at a manual option and not AT as I can't imagine myself buying a 4-speed AT. If either of these vehicles had a 6 speed AT then it would have been a nobrainer decision.

I sincerely hope and pray that the next generation S-Cross/Brezza continue to be built on the C-platform and that Maruti makes them as a 5* vehicle from a safety point of view.

EcoSport 1.5 AT as well is an excellent choice.
searacer932 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 17:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As an Ecosport AT owner (facelift version) I can tell you one thing for sure. Everytime you drive it, it will put a grin on your face. the harder you drive it, the more rewarding it is. the dynamics, build quality and responsiveness of the engine is sweet.
My neighbour is warming up to Ecosport AT after checking out Venue, Nexa, primarily because of DCT, AMT concerns. His only concern is mileage. As an AT owner yourself, you may be the right person to ask this to. How's FE in b-2-b crawl, city streets and on highway runs? Single digit FE talk is holding him back. And, any vibrations in 3-pot motor?
Old 15th February 2020, 19:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
My neighbour is warming up to Ecosport AT after checking out Venue, Nexa, primarily because of DCT, AMT concerns. His only concern is mileage. As an AT owner yourself, you may be the right person to ask this to. How's FE in b-2-b crawl, city streets and on highway runs? Single digit FE talk is holding him back. And, any vibrations in 3-pot motor?
My ecosport is in Bangalore, which is not exactly conducive to good FE

Nonetheless it averages around 9.5 with ac. I’ve done a couple of highway drives where it ave me between 15-17.

My car is up for sale incidentally since I’m moving from blr
himanshugoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 21:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My ecosport is in Bangalore, which is not exactly conducive to good FE

Nonetheless it averages around 9.5 with ac. I’ve done a couple of highway drives where it ave me between 15-17.

My car is up for sale incidentally since I’m moving from blr
Thanks for prompt reply. So, it's single digit, as he feared. But then again B'lore 9.5 would be 10.5-11 in my town, I am sure. Most of his running is intra-city. Thanks again.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 11:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Appreciate the responses!
Hey buddy, glad to see a fusion kept in such a pristine condition for this long.

I wouldn’t suggest neither of the cars in question that is Brezza / Scross. I own a Diesel Brezza and I honestly feel the facelift Brezza doesn’t have anything extra except a petrol motor & a revised bumper & LED HL / TL.

Both cars are already showing its age in the market and MSIL doesn’t have anything good to convince ourselves in going for it & the most crucial thing in this era of automobiles is nothing but SAFETY!

Like GTO already suggested, go for Seltos or Ecosport which has a good safety rating.

If you do not mind going in for a diesel within the budget you’ve now, go for Nexon D / Ecosport D if budget is a constraint from going in for a Seltos that is a fresh apple in the market.

Good luck in getting your ride sooner and keep us all updated
gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 13:16   #27
BHPian

Why don’t you consider the Nexon Petrol AMT? The top variant will be well within your budget, it’s safe, has all the goodies you’ll ever need, fits all your requirements to a T.
AMT isn’t perfect, yes, but take a test drive, I’m sure you’ll be surprised. I do not think the Brezza is well built at all, 4 stars is fine, but the interior plastic quality, fit and finish, materials, all leave a lot to be desired. If I have to live with a car for a decade, the Brezza’s interior would really annoy me after a while.

Also, what about a wild card like the Nexon EV?
DeKay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 14:19   #28
BHPian

Quote:

My trusty old warhorse [Ford Fusion+, petrol; related thread (Excellent service experiences with Dhone Ford, Pune)] will turn 15 this September.
Fusion was my favorite car too for a long time. I couldn't pick one when it was selling. When it stopped selling, I couldn't get a good Fusion on sale for the price. You see, I was not a T-BHP member at that time.

Quote:

A midlife crisis for an enthusiast, I submit, is evidenced when s/he starts looking for a steady, no-nonsense, easy-to-maintain, mass-market, point-A-to-point-B commuter.
It is not mid-life-crisis to change to a car that suits your current requirements. The way you defined mid-life-crisis, it more fits the description of "retirement". On top of it, you are a BHPian. That is not "ordinary".

Quote:
Thanks to the forthcoming launches of the Suzuki CSUV/crossover twins - Arena's Brezza and Nexa's S-Cross - in their petrol avatars (finally!), I think this just might be possible now.
You need to expand your choices. Most of the cars by most of the manufacturers fit this requirement - "steady, no-nonsense, easy-to-maintain, mass-market, point-A-to-point-B commuter". In addition to that, some cars are leaps and bounds ahead of the choices you are considering.

Quote:
  • Sturdy build quality - The standards of best built Maruti cars are a starting point for some of the other manufacturers.
  • Decent Ground-Clearance - Moon craters, I'm coming for you...
  • Petrol engine - Don't completely give up on Diesel yet. I think only electric tech when it becomes fully practical, will make Diesel obsolete.
  • Automatic Transmission - Happy left leg.
  • Not too big - Parking Friendly. Wise decision.
  • Not too small
  • BS6
  • As many safety features as possible - 5* is the standard of 2020, nothing less.
  • Preferably below 15 lakhs on-road
  • Preferably more pliant ride-quality than the Fusion
  • Preferably better performance than the Baleno, i20, Jazz segment - NO one suffering mid-life-crisis will say this. Hence PROVED.
Quote:
Obviously, the BS6 EcoSport Titanium+ fits all these criteria and then some. Ford's service in Pune has demonstrably improved too, over the past few years (I refer you back to my "related thread" above), so it won't be exactly tough or expensive to maintain. But for some reason, the freshly minted "Uncle" in me simply refuses to look away from the Marutis.
A Maruti will not satisfy an owner of a Ford for 15 years. No matter if that owner is an uncle, grand-dad or great-grand-dad. Ford Ecosport is the officially designated successor of Fusion. Why are you even considering something else?

Quote:
Note that I haven't test driven any of them yet, since they're yet to be made available for TDs, so these are strictly at the discussing-with-friends-whether-I-should-ask-her-out stage:
Sincere friendly advice: Dude, she is not for you. You are leagues ahead of her. She is no match for your character.

Quote:
S-Cross:
I have nothing big against S-cross. It was designed for US market by Suzuki global and hence it is one of the best built Maruti (even better than Brezza IMO). Performs decently too (while the new engine is a black-box still). The only problem with S-cross is that there are far better cars from other brands which also outsells S-cross with a margin of thousands. Creta and Seltos - these 2 are more mass-market than S-cross (I know about the price difference, but it is justified based on what you get). If you can wait, more new cars are going to launch which will give you a wide choice too.

Since you are particular about AT, S-cross's AT is the most ancient AT in the market (not that you don't know), but it is hugely inferior by 2020 standards. It doesn't even have a manual mode.

Better alternatives I suggest Creta (2020/2018), or Kia Seltos.

Quote:
Brezza:
Brezza is a good car. It is an Indianized Vitara with proportions made suitable to take advantage of tax exemptions. With the new 1.5 petrol engine, that advantage is gone. So, compromising on length makes no sense now. If you go sub-4 meter, go for a smaller CC engine. If you don't want a smaller CC engine, don't go for sub-4 meter car.

Even otherwise, Brezza is a quite old tech for 2020. No turbocharger, the same age-old 4-speed AT, same interior/exterior as 2016 launch, rampant part-sharing in visible areas, refinement, NVH not as good as S-cross or other brands' alternatives.

Better alternatives if you want sub-4 meter, I suggest Venue Turbo with DCT. It will blow your assumed "mid-life-crisis" away.
manjunathkl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 14:32   #29
BHPian

I am in the same boat punatic. Thanks for putting the thread out. Parted with 15 years old zen last year due to stupid NGT rule and right now having 10 year old 1.5L km run Ritz petrol and a similar aged Dzire petrol at 1.1L km. I need to scatter the new car purchases since both these cars will complete 15 years almost simultaneously.

Safety is not just a desirable feature but a must have in today's world. AMTs and DCTs are out of the options for me. Reliability being the key, I am only looking forward to CVTs and TCs. Having an all Maruti garage currently and being served well by the product and service alike, the inclination towards the perceived safer Marutis is natural. But I still feel that it's a game of compromises or adjustments even after spending north of 10 lacs. Hence I am doing what GTO suggested - WAIT.
I have to complete one car purchase before Q3 2020. Will be very difficult to wait beyond that.
All said and done, I am looking forward to the decision making process of folks who have similar requirements. Happy car hunting!!!
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 15:08   #30
BHPian

Now, then once you have specified Brezza Vs Scross. Will not beat around bush,I personally own a Brezza 1.3 mjd. S cross is the best what maruti can offer,all disc brakes ,roomier cabin, solid build quality hands down Scross will be my pick between the two and of course make your final decision only after test driving both.Rest other brands as Ford,Mahindra,Kia,Hyundai you will need to stretch the budget.
XRoader_001 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks