Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2020, 14:12   #31
BHPian

Re: Want to buy an enthusiast's car for ~10 lakh rupees

Test drive the City, Figo petrol, Figo diesel (noted that you don't want a diesel) and Polo GT (Also noted you don't want an auto box ).
Old 17th February 2020, 14:21   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1. Ford siblings (Figo / Aspire) with that 1.5L TDCi. Fun on the highway, fun on the ghats, fun in the city.
Why Freestyle in not mentioned in Ford siblings, any particular reason? You would have driven all these cars extensively during review. Asking because your opinion matters a lot. In the official review, you have mentioned this car has FORD DNA.
Old 17th February 2020, 16:49   #33
BHPian

Duster with 1.3 ltr turbo charged petrol engine is coming soon. If you can wait and strech your budget, that will fulfill most of your requirements.

I believe, MT and CVT will be on offer. With specs of 150 ps+ power with good ride & handling package, this will be an exciting car.
Swap_Abarth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 22:27   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshye View Post
I am currently planning on replacing my daily driver Wagon-R Green (Petrol/CNG).

What I have come to realize over last 60k kilometers is, driving experience matters, in daily run. The gadgets are good while the car is new; over time, you don't care much about those features on daily run. You care about exiting the traffic jams quickly. With that as primary focus, what gives most bang for my buck?
Why not wait for the Kia Sonet? Am sure it would have good options of turbo petrol combined with safety packs.
Old 18th February 2020, 06:58   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshye View Post
I am currently planning on replacing my daily driver Wagon-R Green (Petrol/CNG).
I'll suggest you drive the Freestyle Diesel ASAP.
I completely agree with your point regarding MT only - I'm a lazy AT owner myself, and a bad MT is more fun than even a DSG (all else being equal).

The reason I suggest the Freestyle is not to push the car on you at all - it's just that, in case you like it, make a beeline to buy it BS4. If it loses Sync (Ford is deleting features from their line-up left, right and centre) and that's the car you ultimately go for, it'll be complete

The BSIV diesel is a great package, and manual was the only reason I didn't buy it for mom (we came damn close though - I almost bought it). 6 airbags. Sync. Decent size engine. Sufficient ground clearance. Mature suspension setup. The best of practicality, safety, modernity, VFM and manual fun under 10L IMO.

I just don't think one should buy a vehicle in this day and age of connected cars without basics like voice commands or Android Auto (no comments that fly audio can be hacked to support AA will be entertained).
Mu009 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 12:08   #36
BHPian

Looks like the City is a dream car for you and you're more interested in sedans than SUVs and hatches. You want a manual petrol enthusiast's car that is safe and reliable for around 10 lakhs.

The City is the car that meets your requirements to the T (except its safety is adequate, not exceptional), and not the XUV 300. Yes, it's quality and reliability has gone down but you're not switching from a 2nd/3rd gen City, you're upgrading from a Wagon R. So it will still be a major upgrade for you.

Still go and take a test drive of all the cars suggested in this thread with an open mind. The feel of a drive is very personal and subjective. Only test drives can help you find a car that feels good to you.

Other things like ASS, Maintenance and long term ownership is what this forum can help you with once you shortlist the cars that you like driving.
evil_grin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 12:15   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
From the current lot of BS6 cars - I'd give the Figo siblings a good hard look, especially in 1.5D guise.
Heck - I'd even look at the EcoSport given safety is a priority + is equally fun to drive in it's own manner if you often encounter average roads. The better stability & view on the highways could be a big big bonus though at the cost of performance (due to weight & aerodynamics). It may be a bit over budget - but with the Venue, Seltos, and new Creta around the corner - deals will start trickling in especially since you aren't in a rush (and same for the Figo & Aspire too!).

The JTP if it makes a come back would be a brilliant choice as well!

That aside - I'd genuinely look at getting a deal on a safe choice BS4 vehicle like the Rapid 1.6 MPi (safe due to a relatively simpler engine - no turbo, etc.).

Ditto. I am also sold on the understated classic looks this car has. Sometime back they were offering ambition and style for Ex-showroom 9.99 in Bangalore. Not sure of it now. If you come across any such good deal let me also know please.

Ford cars now have become dull now. Yes even the 1.5D. I drove a figo diesel self-rental car few months back to Mysore and boy it was fun. From steering column to shock absorbers , everything was in place. Later I test drove the facelifted variant and did not find the same stuff underneath.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th February 2020 at 12:24. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts. Thanks.
Old 20th February 2020, 17:20   #38
BHPian

If you are not particular about BS6, you have a lot of choices. As you said you do not give much heed to the gizmos, which is good, you need a pure mechanically sound fast and agile car. You should seriously look at the petrol Duster and Capture, both are the same platform and very competent in terms of ride quality and driving dynamics, solid built. You will not regret these two. Renault has already announced that both these cars will stay post BS6, service from what I have heard is good and so is reliability. Otherwise the current Rapid 1.6 petrol also makes a good case. People are still trying to find those 1.6 Polo in the second hand market.

IMHO, I suggest do not stick to BS6, actually its a good opportunity for us enthusiasts to cash in on what is left of the enthusiasts cars. The future for enthusiasts looks bad and / or expensive.
Old 21st February 2020, 10:47   #39
BHPian

@akshye - Let me be the odd one to recommend the Nexon EV. Sure it is expensive at 15L OTR and an automatic - but it packs a punch (infinite ratios and sub 10 sec to a ton) and one heck of a looker! Maintenance would be easy given there are less moving parts. It scores high on safety too. Most companies provide premium parking with free charging, so your running+maintenance cost should be negligible and offsetting for the higher initial investment. Also no worries on BS4 or 6. Plus icing on the cake - you also save the environment!
Old 4th March 2020, 16:55   #40

I would suggest the Toyota Glanza Hybrid. The petrol hybrid is good on the highway with a decent kick in the mid range and gives a good mileage. Give it a test drive!

It has Suzuki's reach and parts availability with Toyota's extended 100000 + 3 year warranty. Plus it is cheaper than the Baleno in this trim. A win-win.
Old 7th April 2020, 15:43   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
I wonder why you didn't include the City, Verna, Rapid and Vento in your list? Surely much better than most of the cars in the said list?

Edit- regarding the Ford twins, the diesel is great, but not as explosive as the VW TDi. I mean, sure it picks up pace decently and reaches unmentionable speeds, it only feels half as fun / special as the TDi does. Your call.
I agree Vento is worthy contender, Solid built
Old 8th April 2020, 00:22   #42
BHPian

Firstly, buy something like a manual cause they aren't going to be around for a long time.

Secondly, look no further than the Ford Figo, or Freestyle, even Aspire only thing being the 1.5L Tdci (Diesel).

Its perfect - safe, handles well (get a set of lowering springs), powerful than any other hatch (even sedans) and modification friendly.

Had you driven it earlier, I'm sure this thread wouldn't exist.

If for some reason whatsoever, the car can't match your expectations, you should look for a pre-owned Laura Tsi.
Old 8th April 2020, 04:43   #43
BHPian

Considering your conditions and budget, VW Polo 1.0 TSI BS6 will be my choice for you. However I suggest you to take as many test drives possible on the cars that you have on your list before you finalise.

If you are OK with diesels, definitely consider Vento/Rapid 1.5 TDI.

Last edited by Flyer : 8th April 2020 at 04:45.
Old 1st May 2020, 11:11   #44
Senior - BHPian

Why not look at The Grand i10 Nios Turbo? Quite a peppy engine I've heard & fits right under your budget and offers a decently good driving experience too. Combine that with Hyundai's A.S.S, the extensive list of features and reliability and safety from Hyundai and you've got quite a good deal.

Alternatively, if the second row is not a major thing, you've to go for the VW Polo GT TSIwith the 1.0+6AT (BS6) that is only if you're comfortable with going for VW.
Old 10th May 2020, 12:21   #45
BANNED

Fun to drive : TDCI though diesel, but there is no competition to this engine in this price range.

For petrol nios / aura turbo will suffice.

But boy that tdci in figo / aspire / freestyle is a class apart

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks