Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2020, 14:37   #46
BANNED

Re: Want to buy an enthusiast's car for ~10 lakh rupees

Quote:
Originally Posted by raunak2X90 View Post
I would suggest the Toyota Glanza Hybrid. The petrol hybrid is good on the highway with a decent kick in the mid range and gives a good mileage. Give it a test drive!

It has Suzuki's reach and parts availability with Toyota's extended 100000 + 3 year warranty. Plus it is cheaper than the Baleno in this trim. A win-win.
The petrol engines of maruti are no doubt good but i cannot say it a driver enthusiast car just because of its weight. On highways it is not confidence inspiring hence not good to drive at high speeds and turns.
Old 11th May 2020, 21:45   #47
BHPian

Get thr punto abarth if you can still find one. Last i checked i was offered one for 7.5 lakhs.
It meets all your requirements and will be more exclusive than any of the other cars in the 10 lakh price segment.
Old 15th May 2020, 16:50   #48
BHPian

Hi. I'm looking at buying a car after I sold my Civic a couple of years ago. I'm looking at a second had diesel (preferably) turbo option. My budget is around 8-9 lakhs. I'm looking at keeping the car for a longer time. I'll use it maybe 10-12 days a month to go to work and possibly weekend outings if any. A couple of cars I've been looking at are -

1. Skoda Rapid TDI DSG
2. Vento TDI DSG (apparently the same as Skoda I know)
3. Honda I-Vtech - I don't think there's a diesel option.

Could you please help me with more suggestions? I'm not a fan of Honda or Hyundai. Engines might be refined but they don't have a sturdy build quality.
Old 15th May 2020, 18:01   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaderBalooch View Post
Hi. I'm looking at buying a car after I sold my Civic a couple of years ago. I'm looking at a second had diesel (preferably) turbo option. My budget is around 8-9 lakhs.

1. Skoda Rapid TDI DSG
2. Vento TDI DSG (apparently the same as Skoda I know)
3. Honda I-Vtech - I don't think there's a diesel option.

Every diesel car sold in India, since the Tata Sierra has been a turbo diesel.

And if your concern is build quality, stay away from Honda City diesel too.
Old 15th May 2020, 19:05   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi. I'm looking at buying a car after I sold my Civic a couple of years ago. I'm looking at a second had diesel (preferably) turbo option. My budget is around 8-9 lakhs. I'm looking at keeping the car for a longer time. I'll use it maybe 10-12 days a month to go to work and possibly weekend outings if any. A couple of cars I've been looking at are -
10-12 days a month of usage does not warrant buying a diesel car. Not only will it be excessively polluting, agricultural, loud, clattery and noisy to everyone on the outside, such low usage means that whatever money you save in terms of fuel efficiency, will all be spent and more on maintenance of a second hand diesel engine.

I think you would get solid deals on 1.8 tsi Lauras, the true enthusiast's choice IMO. Even a 1.8 Corolla depending on your preference both are excellent choices. If you have a good trustable independent garage in your city then do check out the Nissan Teana as it offers the most value in terms of luxury for the price.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 15th May 2020 at 19:08.
Old 15th May 2020, 19:11   #51
BHPian

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll have a look at both options too. I was thinking of a diesel only because I know once I get the car I'll probably end up using it to go to work every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
10-12 days a month of usage does not warrant buying a diesel car. Not only will it be excessively polluting, agricultural, loud, clattery and noisy to everyone on the outside, such low usage means that whatever money you save in terms of fuel efficiency, will all be spent and more on maintenance of a second hand diesel engine.

I think you would get solid deals on 1.8 tsi Lauras or even a 1.8 Corolla depending on your preference both are excellent choices and the true enthusiast's choice IMO
Old 17th May 2020, 03:03   #52
BHPian

I would add that even if you use a diesel everyday still it would be cheaper that a petrol vehicle now , given that the price difference between the two is quite less and that diesel engine will have higher maintenance than petrol.
Old 27th May 2020, 23:12   #53
BHPian

Looks like a late entrant to hot hatch in the 2020's is here. Just saw 2 reviews of Vw Polo TSI. It comes with a 6 speed manual box now.

Though the engine is only 3 cylinder but churns out 109 bhp

Looks like this with a manual gearbox might be a thing to drive.
ankitsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 04:19   #54
BHPian

Go for the newly launched Rapid 1.0 TSI, fits all the check boxes and is priced in line with hatchbacks and compact sedans at 7.49 EX Showroom
Old 28th May 2020, 08:40   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi. I'm looking at buying a car after I sold my Civic a couple of years ago. I'm looking at a second had diesel (preferably) turbo option. My budget is around 8-9 lakhs. I'm looking at keeping the car for a longer time. I'll use it maybe 10-12 days a month to go to work and possibly weekend outings if any.
Firstly, it is not easy to replace the Civic. Your best option would be a used Corolla/Laura.

If you're looking at brand new cars, I'd advise you to stick to Honda City/Hyundai Verna/Toyota Yaris/Maruti Ciaz. For low running and long term ownership, diesel doesn't make sense anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Every diesel car sold in India, since the Tata Sierra has been a turbo diesel.
I'd like to point out that the Toyota Qualis had a NA diesel.
Old 8th July 2020, 20:21   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
I have information from a reliable source that the BS6 JTPs are expected to be released before Diwali. Since your current car seems to be in good health, I would suggest you to wait if you can. This wait would also iron out all issues with BS6 fuel and new engines.
Wow this is an unexpected but highly welcome rumour. Really hoping this turns out to be true coz if so I'll be the first person at the showroom. Am searching around for a JTP currently but no examples (used or "new") up for sale it seems.
Old 12th July 2020, 01:00   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Hi. I'm looking at buying a car after I sold my Civic a couple of years ago. I'm looking at a second had diesel (preferably) turbo option. My budget is around 8-9 lakhs.
Could you please help me with more suggestions? I'm not a fan of Honda or Hyundai. Engines might be refined but they don't have a sturdy build quality.
My suggestion would be a e90 bmw 320d,
This is coming from a person who has a bmw and a skoda.
This generation of 3 serious was the most fun to drive and equally reliable, parts are easily available outside and maintaining a pre worshiped one would be lighter on the pocket than you expect(probably even cheaper than maintaining a skoda).

Best regards,
German clan
German_clan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 13:42   #58
BHPian

I am in the market for a new car too and have been following this thread. I too had a WagonR CNG and was honestly bored with the way it used to drive. Without any doubt, it scored a 100/100 on practicality for a vehicle being used solely for travel between point A to point B. But I never felt safe in it, was a tin can. So now after selling the car, I have a budget of around 10-12 lakhs and and am looking for a fun to drive, safe car. The vehicles I have in mind are as follows (not in any order of preference):

- Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI: While this car begs to be driven hard and is a peach of a car, main concerns are long term reliability and maintenance. If I plan to keep the car for atleast 75000 kms over 5 years, would I be facing any major issues? Also, I have heard that turbo petrols aren't too frugal. Though the company claims an average of ~18kmpl, how much can I expect in real world scenario in Mumbai city traffic? My usage would be 70:30 city: highway. Also, this product is towards the end of it's lifecycle as the new Rapid/Vento is expected next year on a brand new platform. How much would that make a difference? Would anyone be able to give any insights if VW group plans to introduce any new engines in their vehicles in the coming months? Honda and Hyundai consider their turbo-petrols as a premium offering. But VW has made it their bread and butter. What should we deduce from this? Surely this is the future of petrol engines. But does it also mean I might be buying a vehicle which is not an accomplished product? Also, why does Hyundai sell its Verna turbo petrol at such a premium?

Ford EcoSport: Tried and tested 1.5 TDCi in its BS6 avatar. I am assured of a fuss-free 5 year journey with this and also is fun to drive. Though the steering and driving dynamics are top-notch, the engine is not like that of a XUV 300. Honestly, I don't see any major issues with this vehicle, this was my first choice until I drove the Rapid TSI. High ground clearance also makes it easy to drive on bad roads. But in today's times, is this really an enthusiast's car? What other issues can I possibly face with its ownership?

Honda City (5th generation): Everything about this car seems to be made like it's non-negotiable for Honda. It also comes at a non-negotiable OTR of ~13 lakhs. Though my budget can stretch to ~13 lakhs, is it worth shelling out that much for a petrol sedan whos 1.5 NA engine is almost 10 years old? Is paying around ₹4 lakhs more than for a Rapid justifiable just for a fuss-free ownership and it's reliability? Would I end up spending 4 lakhs on the Rapid over 5 years to fix it's niggles (apart from the regular servicing costs)? A high OTR price also means that I would be shelling out more for the insurance every year. Does the City really deserve the extra bucks?

XUV 300: Everything about this vehicle ticks the box except it's steering and driving dynamics. It feels like a Hyundai. I don't like how Hyundai's drive especially on highways. There is practically no steering feedback. Doesn't feel like I'm one with the vehicle and totally involved. Is there anything that can be done to fix that? An ECU remap or something?

I am not looking for a Maruti or Hyundai car only because I don't feel safe in them. Tata Nexon is another great product but I would rather get the EcoSport and have fun on the wheels than save ₹50,000 - 75000. Had Tata been offering the Altroz Diesel in the same state of tune as that of the Nexon, I'd have surely considered that too.

Wildcard entry - Tata Harrier (base varient): This is something which my mom would want me to buy. It's comfortable, it's safe, it's a diesel, I haven't driven it, but from what I've read and seen, the 2020 update seems to have ironed out the issues pertaining to its vague steering feedback and NVH levels. To be honest, I'm pretty blank about this product. I have only read great reviews of the 2.0 litre Fiat engine in it. The only gripe I'd have is shelling out ₹16.5 lakhs for this product (I'm not trying to say it's not worth it, just that it may be little stretched considering my budget). If anyone can convince me that the product would be worth every single buck spent on it and that I'd have a fuss-free ownership for at least 7-8 years (100000 kilometres), then surely I'm going to consider this too.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by ampere : 26th July 2020 at 15:15. Reason: removed non-forum emojis.
Old 26th July 2020, 14:06   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface23 View Post
I am in the market for a new car too and have been following this thread.
- Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI: While this car begs to be driven hard and is a peach of a car, main concerns are long term reliability and maintenance. If I plan to keep the car for atleast 75000 kms over 5 years, would I be facing any major issues? .
Thanks in advance ��
I believe among all the options listed the Skoda rapid rider Plus is the best option among them. You get a solid build quality car with decent interiors and a good engine. Spend some 50-60k more on accessories and you get almost everything you need. As far as reliability and maintenance is concerned I think most manufacturers now provide the extended warranty till 5 years minimum so you will be sorted.
Old 26th July 2020, 14:34   #60
BHPian

Hey pokerface I am also in the same dilemma. Though I can shell out 14-15 Lakhs but I am wondering if investing 5 more lakhs might get me into the territory of Civic , Octavia and Compass

I would say out of the options you list down, City & Ecosports looks the best of the lot. Not sure about this new gen city but ES is definitely FTD with peace of mind also.
I was eyeing Rapid from a long time , I love those understated looks , but then some of the horror stories by Skoda killed the enthusiasm.
I would any day go for better peace of mind ASS even if the product itself is not that great. They will make it great.
Also , you can look at the better Marutis offered , like brezza and s-cross about to launch. Though I do not know if they will be FTD.
I am somehow convinced that there is no FTD vehicle with average ASS and premium interiors in the 15 L range in India.
I can only think of Freestyle & ES now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface23 View Post
I am in the market for a new car too and have been following this thread. I too had a WagonR CNG and was honestly bored with the way it used to drive. Without any doubt, it scored a 100/100 on practicality for a vehicle being used solely for travel between point A to point B. But I never felt safe in it, was a tin can. So now after selling the car, I have a budget of around 10-12 lakhs and and am looking for a fun to drive, safe car. The vehicles I have in mind are as follows (not in any order of preference):

Thanks in advance ��

Last edited by ankitsharma : 26th July 2020 at 14:36. Reason: Spelling Mistake
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks