Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2020, 14:39   #61
BHPian

Re: Want to buy an enthusiast's car for ~10 lakh rupees

Skoda Rapid Rider + satisfies your needs to a T.
Plymouth_Fury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 23:22   #62
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface23 View Post
Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI: My usage would be 70:30 city: highway.
You haven't mentioned your monthly running, but if its on the higher side you should seriously consider the Amaze i-Dtec CVT since your usage is primarily in the city. Its a utilitarian choice compared to the much more exciting Rapid TSI, which wouldn't exactly be at its best in Mumbai traffic!
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 23:29   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
You haven't mentioned your monthly running, but if its on the higher side you should seriously consider the Amaze i-Dtec CVT since your usage is primarily in the city. Its a utilitarian choice compared to the much more exciting Rapid TSI, which wouldn't exactly be at its best in Mumbai traffic!
If offices reopen, my annual running would be around 15000-17500 kms. Thanks for inputs. I shall surely check out the Amaze Diesel automatic. Though I am primarily looking for something that would be fun to drive, I do get your point that a diesel automatic would be practical in Mumbai's traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plymouth_Fury View Post
Skoda Rapid Rider + satisfies your needs to a T.
Yes. That's what even my heart says. But the mind says EcoSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Hey pokerface I am also in the same dilemma. Though I can shell out 14-15 Lakhs but I am wondering if investing 5 more lakhs might get me into the territory of Civic , Octavia and Compass

This is one thought which crossed my mind too. But in that category, a petrol car would just not make sense for my running (around 17000 kms annually). I'll be owning a white elephant.

The Compass is a great product but their dealer/service centre network isn't confidence inspiring. Octavia, I believe, has been discontinued since the 2021 model would be launched next and it would be a petrol only product in all likelihood. The Civic diesel is way out of my budget.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th July 2020 at 23:46. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote functionality (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts at once. Thanks!
Old 28th July 2020, 11:33   #64
BHPian

Quote:
I am in the market for a new car too and have been following this thread. I too had a WagonR CNG and was honestly bored with the way it used to drive. Without any doubt, it scored a 100/100 on practicality for a vehicle being used solely for travel between point A to point B. But I never felt safe in it, was a tin can.
I completely agree!

Quote:
- Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI:
If I am to buy a car today, I would seriously consider this one. As it is, long back when we (me and wife) were discussing cars, this was our first choice. But over time, we started considering it as outdated. I am yet to test drive it to be sure that it suits my taste.

Quote:
Ford EcoSport: ... Though the steering and driving dynamics are top-notch, the engine is not like that of a XUV 300. Honestly, I don't see any major issues with this vehicle, this was my first choice until I drove the Rapid TSI. High ground clearance also makes it easy to drive on bad roads. But in today's times, is this really an enthusiast's car? What other issues can I possibly face with its ownership?
Well, to be frank, I had booked this car just for this reason : steering feel and driving dynamics. But finally cancelled my booking, as the home ministry and internal affairs (read mom and wife) thought I'm going over-budget. But as a driver's car I liked this most (even more than Aspire).

Quote:
XUV 300: Everything about this vehicle ticks the box except it's steering and driving dynamics. It feels like a Hyundai. I don't like how Hyundai's drive especially on highways. There is practically no steering feedback. Doesn't feel like I'm one with the vehicle and totally involved. Is there anything that can be done to fix that? An ECU remap or something?
I totally agree. XUV is not a driver's car IMO. But engine is outstanding. Other drawback is lack of boot-space. As single car garage, it matters to me.

Quote:
Yes. That's what even my heart says. But the mind says EcoSport
This car, no doubt, will give you driving pleasure.

Happy hunting!
Old 28th July 2020, 11:57   #65
Team-BHP Support

Having driven the Polo 1.0 TSI highline extensively, I can say with confidence that it ticks all the boxes for you. If you need a sedan, the Rapid with the same engine would be your best bet.

Yes, both the Polo and the Rapid are old now, but that 1.0 TSI + MT combination is hard to beat. It’s fast out-of-the-box and also supports a plethora of modifications. It has immense tuning potential too!

You must strongly consider these cars, in my opinion. The fact that they are on the older side shouldn’t bother you as they still look fairly fresh and premium despite the stiff competition.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 03:55   #66
BHPian

I think everyone has covered the enthusiast’s cars, let me add a car which doesn’t match the enthusiasm of others but gives absolute peace of mind.

Toyota Yaris
J-Optional costs ₹10.5l on road Hyderabad.

I have driven one. Sure it’s not fast, it’s adequate. But the short throw gearbox & light clutch are fun to engage, with minimum NVH from the 1.5L NA engine. Also being a C2 segment sedan, a family guy has all the space he’ll ever need, with ISOFIX child seat anchors. I think some cars still miss out on ISOFIX. Also this is one of the safest cars in the segment. With Toyota’s bullet-proof reliability & I think the best after sale service in India.

Actually, I am on the lookout for a similar budget car sharing most of your requirements, and I have zeroed in on Yaris for peace of mind, as even I would like to retain my car for a decade. Please do take a test drive if you can.

Neo
neo_narender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 21:03   #67
BHPian

So I have finally planned to buy a car for myself now, riding on the discounts wave.

TD-ed a Rapid and EcoSport Petrol till now. The Rapid was awesome. Also there is good amount of discount right now on the Ambition, with the on-road price nearly matching that of the Rider Plus, that too in the first round of discussions. I am sure we can squeeze things more when the plans are finalized.

The EcoSport Petrol that I drove had serious issues. It spoiled my mood for the day. Tires, body, steering - everything was vibrating.

Will plan for TD with some other dealer. But yes, the Rapid steals the show. The handling and NVH are very good.

I had also called up a Mahindra dealer for a TD. But guess what? I never heard from them.

I'm also Planning to TD the City, Vento and XUV300. But one thing that I have noticed is that in these 3-cylinder engines, the bottom end is gone. And the engines too sounds like my Maruti 800, but past 3K, they becomes sporty - both in terms of sound & pickup.

Last edited by Aditya : 21st October 2020 at 05:08. Reason: Grammatical errors, spacing
ankitsharma is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks