Team-BHP > What Car?

Old 29th February 2020, 10:25   #16

Default Re: Advice needed: Tata Nexon XM vs Altroz XT

I would suggest you to go for Nexon xz petrol if you can stretch your budget a little bit as itís a value for money variant. It would be fun to drive the Nexon on the highways. Its bigger than Altroz and been in the market for long so all niggles are sorted.
khanmaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 12:06   #17
BHPian

Well first of all good to see that your priorities are all sorted and safety is on top of it.
As far as choosing between Altroz and Nexon goes, here are my few cents from a showroom visit and test drive of both.

1. Almost everyone loves the way the car looks, even I myself went straight to the Altroz although both were parked next to each other. That being said, the Nexon in its BS6 Avatar is a good looking vehicle as well, much better than its earlier version IMHO.

2. The Altroz's novelty factor shall remain for a longer time amongst peer groups since this is the latest offering in premium hatch market and not many are seen on road, however since he usually keeps car for a long duration, such factor was of no relevance.

3. TATA is famous for initial niggles and issues in their vehicles and I feel in case of Altroz, the same shall be tackled at the expense of new owners and their complaints. Nexon is a different story altogether I guess since it has been in the market now and have been accepted whole heartedly. Also, since this is next generation Nexon, I feel TATA would definitely have worked upon improving from the previous gen model.

4 After spending some considerable time and taking test drive of both the vehicles, Nexon definitely looked and felt a segment above and more expensive inside out, the size, the interior and the Nexon brand value probably adds to it.

5..Seating position and comfort was better in Nexon , you sit more upright and higher, I did not like the seating position of Altroz one bit. The rear seats of Nexon are more comfortable and have better support as well.

6.Since your drive is mostly highway based, it makes all the more sense to choose the Nexon, we could see the difference in the output the moment we pushed the throttle.

All the Best for your next purchase.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice needed: Tata Nexon XM vs Altroz XT-altroz.jpg  

Advice needed: Tata Nexon XM vs Altroz XT-nexon.jpg  

NST440 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 12:14   #18
BHPian

Funny, for a car that looks quite big on the outside, I actually felt cramped inside the nexon. Not sure if it is just me!
sooshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 12:24   #19
BHPian

I suggest you go for the BS6 version of the Nexon. In the petrol state of tune it delivers amazing power and torque. Also, all BS6 models of the Nexon have ESP as standard. Though the Altroz looks super cool, I doubt it will age well. Nexon has already gone through many iterations before arriving at this avtar and hence the choice.
born.4thnov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 12:43   #20
BHPian

I have a 2009 make Indica Vista TDI (Indigo Turbo Engine)

The things which I hate in this car:-
1) Low ground clearance- scrapes its belly on bad/ broken roads.
2) Not so good interiors and cheap plastics.
3) Engine is not for the enthusiasts although it just does it work for a family car.
4) Not so good gearbox. I personally feel only my gearbox has a problem of gear lever vibration not found in other cars. Takes more effort to shift gears.
5) Heavy steering at lower speeds.
6) Refinement, finesse, attention to details.

The things I love about my car:-
1) Space, comfort and a suspension which gives the feel of sitting in a sofa at home.
2) A true 5 seater at a very reasonable on-road cost.
3) Robust car which can take abuse and runs great on bad-broken roads.
4) Highway manners, does not feel like driving a unsafe light weight car.
5) In last 11 years of ownership never has the car given me any reliability troubles which left me stranded.

Nexon is based on the robust platform of Vista and all the negative issues have been taken care of. Shod with pretty wide tyres and a gracious ground clearance you have the ability of driving on pretty bad roads across the country. Interior is really good and TATA has paid attention to details, improved fit finish and refinement over the Vista's. As GTO has already mentioned that it has a good engine now, I would certainly recommend you buying the NEXON over the Altroz.

Altroz suits more for city drives and roads which are in good shape.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 14:15   #21
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

One word the Nexon. My Sis got the automatic in Bangalore and it is a fabulous car. everything about is great.
rulerofsun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 15:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Because this is going to be a highway rider, I'll prioritize on the Nexon. Price wise, the 1.2l petrol BS VI rather than diesels. Apart from the engine, the higher stance, better view, larger Interior space will provide better experience.

Do double check boot space and fuel tank capacity if frequent long trips are planned. Also, do look at the power and weight of both vehicles.

Try for TD and experience on rear seat of both vehicles.

But I believe the "premium" feel and comfort will come from the Altroz. I have not seen the Altroz and this is based on spec sheets.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 16:06   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulerofsun View Post
One word the Nexon. My Sis got the automatic in Bangalore and it is a fabulous car. everything about is great.
Is it a petrol? What's the city mileage, tankfull to tankfull?

Last edited by damodar : 29th February 2020 at 16:08.
Old 29th February 2020, 17:20   #24
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Is the venue turbo petrol totally out of consideration? Slots just in between the Altroz and Nexon externally from a size perspective.
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 18:58   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Bharadwaj View Post
Is the venue turbo petrol totally out of consideration?.
I think the awareness about 5 star rated cars at the same price point is increasing. Venue loses out to Nexon not just in 5 star rating but also in key safety features like ESP which is standard right from base version of Nexon (and Hexa /harrier / Nexon EV). Even the costlier Kia Carnival base editions (2 of them) with on road price of nearly 30 lakhs don't have ESP. Mind you ESP is mandatory for all cars sold in US Canada EU and 46 countries. It is next only to airbag /abs in saving lives on crashes. Hence Nexon makes a compelling case against Venue and many other small cars in this price point.

Dev
Attached Thumbnails
Advice needed: Tata Nexon XM vs Altroz XT-screenshot_20200229184715207_com.mobilefirst.autogarage.jpg  

Last edited by irdevanand : 29th February 2020 at 19:18.
irdevanand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 19:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
The new front design is great but things start to get busy at the C pillar and if I do end up buying a Nexon I've resolved to never step behind the vehicle.

I've a similar opinion of the Nexon's rear, but I think a very simple modification can make it considerably better. A BHPian did this to his Nexon to make it look more palatable - link (Tata Nexon : Official Review)

Advice needed: Tata Nexon XM vs Altroz XT-new-black-rear-side-nexon.jpg

Mod Note : Click here to view our pictorial help article on uploading pics.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 29th February 2020 at 19:31. Reason: Mod Note inline.
RoadMonkey is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 21:03   #27
BHPian

Nexon Only !
I did had a test drive if both the Nexon / Altroz and I would choose anytime the Nexon.
- Nexon is spacious and comfortable to drive Vs Altroz
- Nexon would give you a big car like feel in highways and would be more stable with bigger tyres.
- Saftey,A$$ and all other remains the same quality for both.
ash22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 22:16   #28
BHPian

Keeping your touring requirements in mind, I think Nexon may be more suitable.
Main reason is shorter overhangs and a good angle of approach, departure and ramp breakover.
The ALTROZ with its stylised nose and generous front overhang may not be suitable , especially on the dips and culverts of our hill stations.

I've covered around 3000 kms in my petrol Nexon XM. No troubles so far. The stock sound system is more than enough, for us, regular listeners, and has all the basic connectivity options.

Its not very fuel efficient though. You have to remember that turbo petrol's are incredibly throttle sensitive. Add to that, the fact that the Nexon is quite portly at an approximate 1.2 tons and you can understand it will not be that fuel efficient like the feather-weight Japs.

Feather the throttle and you will get 9.5 to 10kmpl with AC on in city traffic. In City mode. You cannot drive in Eco mode as it only allows 50% throttle opening. On highways below 120 kmph, in 6th gear cruise, you'll get 15-15.5kmpl. Above 120kmph it dips to 14kmpl.
Contrary to popular belief, Sports mode is the best mode to drive and does not guzzle as much fuel as the extra torque & power allows you to drive in a higher gear at a lower rpm.

Rear seat ingress and egress for the elderly may be a bit difficult as the floor is quite high set and one has to "lift" their feet up to "get into" the cabin.

Otherwise it's a fine car. Recently we extensively toured the North Bengal hills and the vehicle held good.

The 2020 version may be better because you will get Traction control and ESP as standard. Don't be too excited with the extra 10bhp as that's more to do with counterbalancing the back pressure of the bigger catalytic converter that's used in BS-6 cars.

Hope you are keeping fine and all's well,

Best....,
Arjab
arjab is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 23:14   #29
SR7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Must have: 5 star safety rating, factory fitted music system and AC

With above constraints, basically our choice narrows down between Nexon XM and Altroz XT. Look wise, we like both!

After visiting dealership today, we find both the cars to be rock solid, deservedly 5 stars!
5-star safety rating is subjective depending on the criteria of the testing agency i.e GNCAP has awarded both the Nexon and Altroz 5-stars, though they have only two airbags across all variants. In terms of safety options available, I would recommend the Nexon facelift over the Altroz since the former is equipped with more active safety systems than the latter, namely Electronic Stability Program (ESP) & Traction Control (TC) standard across all variants. The structure of both the Altroz and Nexon are very good as per the GNCAP tests.

Now coming to dimensions, on paper, the Nexon and Altroz are almost the same length; Nexon is 2.2 inches wider and 3.2 inches taller than the altroz while wheelbase is almost the same on both cars. Apart from the obvious size difference, the BS6 Nexon has a more powerful petrol engine making 118 bhp compared to the 85 bhp of the Altroz. Then again you would be trading more features on the Altroz XT for the Nexon XM, but I would say go for the Nexon.
SR7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 02:30   #30

I have not driven the Altroz yet. But I do own a Nexon Xz+ Diesel which has run exactly 5000 kilometres out of which approximately 4000 kilometres have been on the highway. Trust me when I say this it is absolutely amazing on the highway. The comfort to the space to the suspension abilities are all very good. And the best thing is that gem of an engine! It is marvelous the way the car picks up speeds and accelerates out of tight corners. I can easily keep up with the Fortuners and the Crysta's which seem to rule NH48
irajput is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed