Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2020, 02:11   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice needed: Tata Nexon XM vs Altroz XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
- Both me and Dad are six footers and it requires a bit of contortion to get to the drivers seat.
- Cabin is a little less roomier than the Nexon.
More than anything else, these 2 factors might make you regret not purchasing the Nexon in the long run. Get the Nexon. If you have a fixed budget, the alloy wheels, ICE, dual tone roof etc can be saved for mid-life upgrades

Did your TD Nexon shift poorly? TD vehicles are generally abused and not well maintained. Try asking for a different test drive car and take opinions from the Nexon thread/trusted friends,
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 20:30   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
---with Nexon you will get a more spacious car for the family to be more comfortable and also better GC. Do you plan to TD the Sonet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
--- I'll recommend you to go ahead with the Nexon. It is much higher off the ground than the Altroz, has good ride quality for our conditions and is equally safe as the Altroz.

2. I also noticed that you're comparing the Nexon Petrol to the Altroz diesel. Why don't you look at the Nexon diesel for a proper comparison? It might solve the performance related issue and the Nexon might fair better than the Altroz. Along with that, if you can, please do for the top-spec variant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
More than anything else, these 2 factors might make you regret not purchasing the Nexon in the long run. Get the Nexon. ---,
Thanks Haisaikat, Akash and Landcruiser. I have indeed gone ahead and booked the Nexon XZ petrol. Delivery expected sometime in mid October.
ZedMae is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 22:48   #48
BHPian

With the onset of Covid19 pandemic, we had put our plan for the next car purchase on hold. So after a while, in this week we decided to resume the process. I got in touch with BHPian arjab who suggested me to get in touch with the Sales Head of Dulichand Motors in Kolkata.

I spoke to them in the evening and on the very next day a BS6 Nexon was at our doorstep for a test drive. May be I should mention that the distance between our residence and the dealership is more than 65 km!

Both me and my better half drove it and after experiencing the drive we are going ahead with the Nexon XM variant. I shall post an update once the booking process is completed. Let me thank all of you who have posted your suggestions .

BS6 Nexon for the test drive
Advice needed: Tata Nexon XM vs Altroz XT-nexon2.jpg

Advice needed: Tata Nexon XM vs Altroz XT-nexon1.jpg

Last edited by gmhossain : 7th November 2020 at 22:50.
gmhossain is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 15:41   #49
BHPian

To keep this thread updated with my initial query, we have now booked a Nexon XM Petrol variant of foliage green colour with Dulichand Motors, Kolkata. As per the current estimate, we are expecting to get the delivery of the car in the new year. Once again thank you all for your inputs .

Best,
gmhossain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 13:30   #50
BHPian

Which Highway friendly car for around 10L ex-showroom

Background:
My current ride comprises of a 13 Yr ols Apache 150, now converted to RTR 180, using its parts and a 2017 21000 driven Alto K10 VXi (o)

Although, financial wisdom would say keep the car, it is new and selling it would mean loss. But, can't stand the bad ride quality and the total lack of safety, especially since we are becoming 3 by next year 2021 . Also, the lack of space means parents or friends at the rear seat are uncomfortable, when they visit.

Me and my wife love to travel, and me being a shutterbug love going to offbeat places. We have driven the car 21000 kms, of which around 90% is on highways alone! For office commutes, we used to travel by motorcycle (people living near Whitefield, Mahadevpura would understand – 10 kms to my home takes 1.5 hours in the evening by car and 45 mins by bike)

While I love the small footprint of the car enabling me to park it anywhere, and squeeze in the gaps, there are a few things I can’t really digest and want to upgrade:
1. Total lack of safety – TinCan would be an understatement
2. Not so cheap service – it costs me anywhere between 4-6 k per annual service, same as my Dad’s Ecosport
3. Soft suspension, yet the car crashes into each and every pothole, small bump and uneven surface. Even changing to XM2 and reducing pressure to 30 doesn’t do much. Bangalore roads are going from bad to worse now since there hasn’t been much repair this year due to COVID. Driving on the poorly made white-topped roads, I can actually feel each and every joint and every stone inside. However, the new tires have improved the cushioning and grip levels quite a bit, but still not enough.
4. Steering devoid of any weight at any speed above 60. While the engine and low seat wants me to drive it like a Go-Cart, the steering brings the fear of God back in me at highway speeds. Wife is afraid of driving it above 40 in city and 60 in the highways due to this. Also, the excessive vertical movement on highways is scary at times to the passengers
5. Weak brakes, have missed hitting the car ahead in city quite a few times. Maybe something brake cleaning can fix since the pads have plenty of life left
6. Car feels totally made cut down to cost. And rattles galore no matter how much the service centre tries, come back within a few weeks
7. Lack of space. Yes, I know it is a small car but friends (all less than 5’8”) don’t like sitting in the back seat. Space is enough for 2 adults and kids
8. Bigger cars bully on the road, and want to push me off the road – Bangalore drivers, sigh!
9. Poor low end torque and high NVH levels means I have to keep shifting gears in city, unless I pump the tires to 35 PSI, when the ride goes for a toss

Present: While this year we haven’t been able to do any long trips yet due to Covid, there have been quite a few short ones nearby Bangalore. Also, our family is expanding as we would be 3 by June 2021! Safety, space and comfort is on the top of my mind, while my plan of upgrading my bike is on pause for the time being, until next year.

What I want in my next ride:
1. Safety – Atleast 4-star NCAP Rated. 5-star would be the best though - Non-negotiable
2. Fun to drive – can’t bear to drive boring cars anymore
3. Good, if not excellent ride / handling balance – Body roll should be controlled on ghats, but have decent ride quality since most of the roads in Bangalore are dug-up with moon size craters everywhere and concrete roads elsewhere which are not aligned
4. Hassle Free Service - Can’t be running around the service centre getting things fixed since the little one will keep me busy for the next two years atleast. Although, I love DIY and have been fixing my motorcycle and keeping it in top shape for the last 8 years.
5. Don’t really care about resale since I will keep it for atleast 8-10 years
6. Should be easy to drive in city – wife will be using this too, and she is a new driver
7. Transmission choice – Open to Auto, although prefer manual. No AMTs though, hate them absolutely!
8. Fuel efficiency – anything above 10 in city is fine. Not a priority, but don’t want a fuel guzzler
9. Space – Should be able to accommodate 2 + 2 parents in the back seat + 1 kid in the child seat and their luggage
10. Android Auto – Need to be able to see maps, and play Spotify / Amazon Music. If system is not supporting AA, should be swappable with an aftermarket system which supports it
11. Ground clearance – Although haven’t yet grounded my car even when driving on off road trails (very basic offroad), inspite of its soft suspension and low GC of 155mm even when fully loaded with 4 adults and luggage, due to its short wheelbase, should be able to navigate the moon crater roads of Bangalore with ease.
12. Body type – I prefer Sedans with their spacious cabins, and better handling while Wife prefers CSUVs. Anyways, Sedans are out of the market it seems now.

Contenders:

1. Nexon XZ+ / XZ+S 1.2 (Top Contender 1)
a. 5 Star NCAP rated. ISOFIX mount on rear seats
b. Good Driving position
c. Well weighted steering. Ride quality is pretty good too
d. Overall, well equipped and a VFM proposition. Well-rounded package too
e. Plenty of space in the back seat and the boot. 3 of us could easily fit and sit for long drives
f. No squeaks / rattles on a 17k Test drive vehicle

Dislikes:
a. The engine sounds a bit gruff when pushed and is not free revving perhaps due to it being a 2-valve/cylinder engine, being used to the K10 motor and RTR 180, both of which love to be driven hard. Had a good mid-range though, and the turbo lag isn’t much of a deal breaker for me, being used to poor low-end torque of the K10
b. Clutch feels strange, having a springy feel even before the bite point. Probably bad upkeep of the car.
c. Sales and service – not really sure. Heard quite a Haven’t heard back from Tata after the test drive while the Ford ones keep calling every week. Also, sales staff attitude seemed quite casual
d. Start stop button of the test drive vehicle had its paint off and had turned white!
e. Don’t like the digital speedo/ tacho console design, looks too busy. Am a fan of sweeping needles and clean instrument design
f. Roof line is curved, egress and ingress for wife and parents was a bit of an issue and they claimed head would hit the roofline while entering the car. I didn’t face any such issue though
g. Touchscreen design didn’t find much favour with the missus and mother, looks cheap as per them
h. C pillar is too thick. While reversing out of the parking, had a huge blind spot on the rear left side and couldn’t see the incoming traffic
i. 2 Yrs standard warranty, as compared to the Ford and Skoda, it is quite less, although can be extended to 5 yrs. Puts a question mark on the faith Tata has on its cars

Questions:
1. How good or bad is the fuel efficiency in city conditions? The test drive car had 8.9 kmpl as the average value. Being a small turbo, efficiency could be compromised in the b2b conditions
2. Delivery time is 10 weeks, for any colour / variant! Any dealer which can deliver it earlier?
3. No Discounts, apart from insurance which is overpriced anyways

2. Altroz XZ (o) 1.2
a. Interior feels very upmarket, and posh
b. 5 Star NCAP rated. ISOFIX mount on rear seats
c. Good Driving position
d. Well planted and well weighted steering. Ride quality is pretty good too
e. Well-equipped and a VFM proposition. Well-rounded package too
f. Plenty of space in the back seat and the boot
Dislikes:
a. That petrol engine! Has been discussed umpteen times already
b. Gear shifts felt notchy, especially 2nd to 3rd. Although it could be because of it being a new test drive car
c. Nothing else really
d. Egress and Ingress could be an issue for the elderly

Question: Should I save money and buy the Diesel instead of Nexon?

3. XUV 300
a. Highest NCAP rated car in the segment.
b. Powerful engines – both Petrol and Diesel
c. Good Ride Quality, with decent handling – as per reviews, haven’t driven it yet
Dislikes:
a. Boot space is extremely low. Could be a dealbreaker
b. All white and silver interior seems a bit tacky

4. Ford Ecosport T+/ Thunder P/D
Dad has a 2017 Titanium + Petrol Auto Ecosport. Have driven it extensively, on the highways and city, off beat places with bad road conditions

a. Decently powerful engine for the Petrol, has good low-end grunt and doesn’t mind being revved to the limit. Good NVH too
b. Excellent high-speed handling, gives good confidence
c. Good Instrument cluster design for the S variant, clean and easy to read
d. Easy ingress and egress for the elderly due to high roofline
e. Bright and well-designed touchscreen on the S variant
f. Most well priced services of the lot, as per 3 years’ experience by dad. Each regular service costs less than 4.5 – 5K, almost as much as my Alto K10!
g. Diesel engine is superb too, as per reviews

Dislikes:
a. Stiffly sprung, but still couldn’t feel a lot of big potholes. Low speed ride gets a bit jiggly in city
b. A pillar obstructs visibility. Could hide a bus perhaps there! Same for the C Pillar
c. Feature deletion by Ford! Can’t get Android Auto in T+ variant
d. No Cruise control, sunroof in both variants
e. Rear space is a bit less
f. Sideways opening boot door
g. Shallow and odd shaped boot can’t fit a lot of suitcases
h. Heavy clutch on the Petrol variant! Not sure if it is due to bad upkeep, but the car had run about 15K Kms only. Yet to test the diesel variant’s clutch
i. No NCAP Ratings yet

Questions:
1. What kind of fuel efficiency numbers can I expect out of the 1.5 Dragon? Diesel is well priced, will have to stretch a bit for that though the excellent number out of the TDCi will probably save me a lot of money in fuel
2. Which variant makes the best sense. I’m confused totally, especially since T+ / Thunder are priced same
3. Does it make sense to go for Ecosport over Nexon? Considering Nexon is a newer platform, proven safer and has a slightly better ride in city
4. How much can I bargain? What kind of discounts can I expect in Bangalore?

Wildcard Entry:
5. Rapid Ambition 1.0 TSi

a. Drove both the Montecarlo (Manual) and Style (Auto) variants. Don’t know why but I felt grownup and upmarket driving this car! Despite it being an age-old platform
b. That sweet engine! Made me forget all my worries, and just keep driving. Turbo Lag wasn’t much pronounced, and I usually don’t let the engine lug below 1k to protect the big end bearings
c. Decent visibility out of the car
d. Smooth gearshifts in the manual
e. Steering felt the best – direct and light at city speeds
f. Took a high-speed turn, car was extremely planted as if saying – is this all you got
g. Enormous boot
h. Pottering about in second gear in traffic was easy, no jerks or complaints from the engine
i. Smooth Auto gearbox! Don’t notice gearshifts unless you pay attention

Dislikes:
a. Skoda service nightmares. Keep reading about them, almost every month
b. Only couple of service centres in Bangalore. In case of breakdown while travelling, could be an issue
c. Car is under-equipped for the price.
d. Huge central tunnel. 5th passenger would be uncomfortable
e. Speakers are meh. Definitely would have to upgrade them first. My Alto’s Morels with the stock Nippon system are on a different planet as compared to these

Questions:
1. How easy is it to source parts over the counter, to get them fixed at FNG
2. How is the ride quality in Bangalore roads? I drove over smooth roads, so couldn’t judge properly
3. Does the car get grounded over unscientific speed (car) breakers, when loaded with 5 passengers and luggage?
4. What kind of fuel efficiency are owners getting for the manual TSI variant?

Heart says, go for the Rapid Ambition / Style manual, but is scared of the Skoda Service Gremlins, save money and spend it on car parts/fuel . Mind says go for the Nexon / Ecosport which is the safe choice. But the 10 weeks waiting for Nexon P is a bit too much though.
Grease_Monkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 09:36   #51
BHPian

Re: Which Highway friendly car for around 10L ex-showroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey View Post
Mind says go for the Nexon / Ecosport which is the safe choice. But the 10 weeks waiting for Nexon P is a bit too much though.
The current long wait-period for Nexon Petrol is a pan-India problem. A BHPian, after knowing my waiting period, had connected with an official (personal acquaintance) of TML logistics. The problem appears genuine. Apparently, TML logistics underestimated the demand surge for Nexon Petrol in the current circumstances.

I have put up a positive spin on it. At present, our car usage is yet to reach the pre-covid level. So, hopefully (?), after two months, the travel situation would improve a bit more.

Best,

Last edited by gmhossain : 23rd November 2020 at 09:37.
gmhossain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:59   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
The current long wait-period for Nexon Petrol is a pan-India problem. A BHPian, after knowing my waiting period, had connected with an official (personal acquaintance) of TML logistics. The problem appears genuine. Apparently, TML logistics underestimated the demand surge for Nexon Petrol in the current circumstances.

I have put up a positive spin on it. At present, our car usage is yet to reach the pre-covid level. So, hopefully (?), after two months, the travel situation would improve a bit more.

Best,
True, both the Tata cars - Nexon and Altroz are true VFM and safe choices. Tata showroom was crowded when I went this Saturday.

Hopefully, Tata does ramp up its production and the logistics issue is sorted
Grease_Monkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 15:34   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey View Post
Background:
Heart says, go for the Rapid Ambition / Style manual, but is scared of the Skoda Service Gremlins, save money and spend it on car parts/fuel . Mind says go for the Nexon / Ecosport which is the safe choice.
Went for few more test drives this weekend:
1. Nexon Manual
2. Nexon AMT
3. Altroz P
4. Ecosport S Petrol
5. Ecosport S Diesel

Somehow, the Ecosport clutch for both Petrol and Diesel variants was heavvy! Almost felt like driving a truck. Tried out a new car clutch which was light, as it should be. Also, could feel each and every pothole on the Diesel (both had 19k kms only run). The petrol had a better ride than the Diesel, perhaps due to lesser engine weight? I stalled the Diesel too once in second gear, but once on the boil, the engine loves to rev with a punchy mid range.

After doing some further analysis, of feature vs pricing here are the final contenders
1. Nexon XZ+ S - no discount - 10 weeks waiting
2. Nexon XZ+ - no discounts and same waiting period but, can save a lot (1.13 lacs) if cruise control and sunroof can be skipped. Can get the TPMS fitted for less than 8k - 10 weeks waiting
3. Ecosport T Diesel - 1k discount only! 4 weeks waiting
4. Ecosport T Petrol - 30k discount, readily available - but will miss out on a lot of equipment.
5. Ecosport S Petrol - has everything I need, but going above my budget - 40k discount only, readily available
6. Altroz D XZo - not very keen, will consider only if above petrols have poor efficiency in city.

Rejected
1. XUV300 - that small boot is a dealbreaker and don't like the interiors too. Wife vetoed it out
2. Rapid - heard enough horror stories, and only Rider + is VFM
3. All Kia / Hyundais - unless they can give me a 4/5 star NCAP rated, not gonna happen
4. Brezza / S Cross - don't want to buy another Maruti / Nexa

What kind of fuel efficiency can I expect in B2B traffic in Bangalore for Ecosport P and Nexon P?

I did a comparative cost analysis:
1. I can recover the additional cash down for the Titanium + Diesel in 30 months (considering annual running of 7200 kms) as compared to the petrol version
2. Overall expenses per month (EMI + fuel + maintenance) is 1800 cheaper for the Diesel version, as fuel expenses are half considering petrol as 10 kmpl and 18 kmpl for Diesel.
These numbers will tilt even further in favour of Diesel as the running increases once lockdown goes up and we restart travelling, and going to office.
One issue in favour of Petrol is the DPF clogging issue especially when driven in city stop and go conditions and the relatively lighter clutch.

Any suggestions
Grease_Monkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 21:21   #54
BHPian

Nexon Low end Trim or Wait for Altroz Turbo

Hey folks,
I have a 2007 Indica Xeta which I'm planning to sell-off. My experience with Tata has been good and with recent GNCAP ratings, would like to stick with Tata for my next one. Need your great insights to decide my next car!
Requirements:
  • Mostly highway and outstation needs (as I use company transportation to my office at Bangalore).
  • Automatic option preferred but not a deal breaker
  • Budget 8-10 Lakhs
  • Safety and comfort is a must
  • Definitely a long term buy of min 5 years

I did a TD of Altroz and liked it. However, as BHPians suggested, I felt a slight lack of power. There are no discounts but SA told me that the white XT trim is available in a few days.

I also checked out the Tiago top trim, which has almost all features of Altroz XT except Cruise control but you get the AT trim for similar price range. Altroz feels better in terms of safety, higher wheel sizes, bigger interiors and boot space.

SA showed me the Nexon XMA which felt great (requested a TD but yet to happen). XZA+ or XZ+ look pricey and mainly include the factory fitted ICE with AA plus tons of features. They are bit beyond my budget.

I did a TD of Jazz VX CVT but seemed like outdated and comparable with Nexon models which are way better. Didn't like XUV 300 for the looks, small boot space and higher pricing. Hyundai i20 seems reeally high priced and unsafe when compared with above Tata cars.

Please help me decide - should I wait for Altroz Turbo or automatic or book Nexon XMA right now (so that I can get it in ~6 weeks as per SA)? Unsure about the price ranges when they launch turbo, if it overlaps with Nexon, I'll surely go with Nexon.

One more thing: How easy it is to fit an aftermarket Audio system with AA in Nexon XMA? Dealer quotes 34k.

Any other better cars to match my needs?

Thanks!
nadigar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 21:42   #55
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nexon Low end Trim or Wait for Altroz Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadigar View Post
Hey folks,
I have a 2007 Indica Xeta which I'm planning to sell-off. My experience with Tata has been good and with recent GNCAP ratings, would like to stick with Tata for my next one. Need your great insights to decide my next car!
Requirements:
  • Mostly highway and outstation needs (as I use company transportation to my office at Bangalore).
  • Automatic option preferred but not a deal breaker
  • Budget 8-10 Lakhs
  • Safety and comfort is a must
  • Definitely a long term buy of min 5 years
Altroz Diesel top end.
Smooth, powerful, torque-y and extremely economical diesel. Tha Altroz is also safer, nimbler and more fun to drive than the Nexon. The Altroz's brand new platform has greater torsional rigidity compared to the Nexon's old X1(Vista based) platform. The Altroz is a new generation product engineered very well & superior in every way. Even the boot is almost the same size as a Nexon's.
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 21:54   #56
BHPian

Re: Nexon Low end Trim or Wait for Altroz Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadigar View Post
Hey folks,
One more thing: How easy it is to fit an aftermarket Audio system with AA in Nexon XMA? Dealer quotes 34k.

Any other better cars to match my needs?

Thanks!
Nexon XMA I would suggest you, and if budget allows get the XMA (S), it has sunroof and other gizmos.

Happy shopping.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 21:41   #57
BHPian

In order to keep this thread updated, I am happy to share that we have now received the delivery of our new Nexon XM (P) from Dulichand Motors, Kolkata on Feb 4, 2021.

Nexon at home
Advice needed: Tata Nexon XM vs Altroz XT-nexon1.jpg
gmhossain is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 02:34   #58
BHPian

Quote:
In order to keep this thread updated, I am happy to share that we have now received the delivery of our new Nexon XM (P) from Dulichand Motors, Kolkata on Feb 4, 2021.
Many congratulations on the new addition to the family. Hope the experience has been great so far.

I am also looking to purchase from Dulichand very soon, and would like to know a couple of things if you don't mind.
1. Did you purchase Insurance Policy from/through them?
2. If yes, did you negotiate on it, and what was the final insurance amount with GST?

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by BlackPearl : 11th March 2021 at 02:47. Reason: Removed attachment from quoted post. Thanks.
SchrödingersCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 02:47   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Congratulations Golam Da! Will wait for your ownership report and the next travelogue
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 06:46   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrödingersCar View Post
1. Did you purchase Insurance Policy from/through them?
2. If yes, did you negotiate on it, and what was the final insurance amount with GST?
Thank you very much. Yes, I bought insurance (HDFC ERGO) from them. No, I didn't negotiate rather I went by their quote!

Basically, I was referred to Dulichand Motors by BHPian arjab and the dealer offered me a "package deal" of Rs. 8.55 lakh on the road, including insurance, registration, some minor freebies such as perfume, foot mats, mud flap. Given, the total amount was much less than my other quote by a dealer from Kalyani, I simply went ahead with Dulichand. The insurance policy (3 year TP + 1 year OD + Zero Dep.) that I got has total premium of Rs. 24629 including GST. I believe one could negotiate here a bit.

Additionally, I got a parcel tray and fog lamp (same spec. as in XZ variant) fitted from them at Rs. 5944 including labour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Congratulations Golam Da! Will wait for your ownership report and the next travelogue
Thank you Sumitro. Actually, my hands are itching for a long drive but now I am stuck at home due to a family circumstance. I have driven only a few hundred KMs so far and it has been a delightful experience till now. Nevertheless, I did a few minor DIY jobs with the Nexon while stuck at home and I am looking forward for the long drives and the ownership report.

Our Nexon
Advice needed: Tata Nexon XM vs Altroz XT-nexon3.jpg
gmhossain is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed