Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2021, 14:31   #76
BHPian

Re: Which TATA car?

Given your budget constraints, I recommend the Altroz turbo petrol. I own an altroz XZ Diesel. The platform is wonderful, you can feel it when you drive it on the highway. It is spacious, has a lot of storage spaces. But, mind you, altroz has a thick A pillar too. But like the others have pointed out, you will get used to it.

From my ownership experience, I have faced only one issue: USB port disconnecting sometimes. I haven't checked it with the SC yet. Coming to the ground clearance, 165mm looks so less on paper, but the stiff suspension makes it adequate. I have slightly scraped only once with a full load and a very tall bump. Take a test drive, you will be impressed.
Benoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 14:35   #77
BHPian

It is a no-brainer honestly. Among the cars you have shortlisted, Nexon is the best option. Since you have acknowledged your relatively low annual usage, the service interval of 6 months/7500 Kms is not a factor you should worry about. All the shortlisted cars are from Tata stable, so after sales service is a non-issue.
All the best
Emvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 14:36   #78
BHPian

I would advise that you go for the Nexon. It's a higher car than the other two and given that your usage would be diverse, ground clearance is lesser of an issue here than the other cars.

Dimensions also are adequate for when you need to seat three at the back, and are pretty city friendly too.
Between the Nexon and the Altroz, the Nexon as you know is a more tried and tested product for now, and is overall much more versatile and it makes more sense to invest in if you look to keep it around for well above 5 years. So, if you can stretch for a Nexon, I'd say go for it

Last edited by Arnav612 : 6th June 2021 at 14:38.
Arnav612 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 15:53   #79
BHPian

In the available stretched amount of budget one should always try to get the best what one can get, so it should be Nexon for you.

Nexon is based on the Vista platform which itself was quite a robust and spacious platform. It has sufficient space to accommodate 3 persons at the back and with the ground clearance, robust underpinnings and a bigger engine I do not think that there's any reason to hold you back from buying the Nexon.

Tiago - Its a small car

Altroz - Its a good car but would lack ground clearance and you will have to go for the turbo engine.

Nexon - High ground clearance 205 mm! Trust me ground clearance matters in India. The only grouse in my Vista TDI other than that it being under powered is the ground clearance. With 5 people on-board the ground clearance further comes down and any rural speed breakers comes crashing at the bottom. In India we need cars with high ground clearance unless and untill you drive only in cities.

Nexon's underpinnings have been strengthened considering that its being marketed as an SUV hence, the high-speed rumbler and pot hole hits on highways would make you less concerned over the other two cars. Add to it you get a superior engine. For me if I were you and with the budget of 10 lakhs there would not even be an iota of doubt in booking the Nexon. All my friends who have got Nexon are happy with the above mentioned points.

If you buy a petrol Engine, you can even think of converting it in CNG in future when the fuel prices shoot through the roof.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 17:15   #80
Senior - BHPian

The more you pay within a brand, the bigger and better car you get. Here the nexon is clearly a much better product than the tiago and altroz. Not saying that those two are bad, but with the nexon you get a much bigger cabin and interiors. It can easily sit three in comfort in the rear over the other two. I am not familiar with the petrol unit in the nexon, but the product has been around for a while now and all niggles and issues should be sorted out. Since you mentioned about fitting the market roads just make sure the car will fit through the roads you drive on a regular basis.
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 13:53   #81
BHPian

Re: Advice needed: Tata Nexon XM vs Altroz XT

I'm in a dilemma to choose between Altroz XZ+ diesel and Nexon Diesel. Edit: (I'm clear to go ahead with Nexon as it has a higher state of tune, ESP, TC, Hill Hold and an additional 6th gear + 205 mm GC for my highway travels)

The price difference between XZ+ Altroz and XM(S) of Nexon Diesel is negligible and XZ has been axed. Only XZ+ is availabe. Cost wise it's 11.7-12L OTR Bangalore for Altroz XZ+ and Nexon XM(S). XZ+ costs 14L .

However I see that I need to spend at least 70-80k to spruce up the XM(S) with Alloys and a Blaupunkt/Sony system. I can add cruise control myself on the Nexon be it XZ+ or XM(S). I wouldn't be using the sunroof much as I don't see any utility for Sunroof in India.

XM(S) vs XZ+

Features which Can't be retrofitted

1. Rear Wiper+Defogger(only in XZ+)
  2. Sunroof(XM(S))
  3. Rear AC vents(only in XZ+)
  4. Height Adjustable driver seat(only XZ+)
  5. Rear Armrest(In XZ+)
  6. 60:40 Split Seat(only in XZ+)

Features which can be retrofitted or added Aftermarket
  1. Alloys(in XZ+) Depends on the design. Ideally between 25-35k
  2. ICE(Touch screen in XZ+ with AA/CP and 1-din Harman system in XM(S)). Can be installed outside too. Sony or Blaupunkt cost 25k+. Ever Hypersonic costs almost the same or a bit less.
  3. Rear Parcel Tray(in XZ+) Cost 1.7k
  4. Front Fog lamps(in XZ+). Close to 8k as an accessory
  5. Front and rear armrest(front can be added) rear I doubt. Front Arm rest(OE is 7k, aftermarket is 2k)

I'm confused whether to go with XM(S) or do I go straight to XZ+. Dark edition is tempting though, but can't keep extending more. XZ+ offers more features than the XM(S) but I don't intend to keep the car for too long as I might move abroad in a few years and I already have an 2018 EcoSport Titanium Diesel at home. I'm buying this car for my own road trip plans as there will be no cat at home if I go on road trips and people in my house are spoilt because of the EcoSport . They just won't budge if I buy a hatch

Last edited by jithin23 : 29th December 2021 at 14:01. Reason: added content
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 14:05   #82
BHPian

Between Nexon and Altroz, it's Nexon. Between XM(S) and XZ+, its XZ+.

If you can, then buy XZ+. Eventhough there are some things that can always be retrofitted. Factory fit cannot be replaced with aftermarket fit and finish. Later, at the time when you decide to move abroad, may decide which one to retain Nexon or Ecosport.

Maintaining Ecosport might be difficult for your family if you intend to move abroad after a few years. With Tata and Nexon, they might still use the Tata ASS.

Last edited by shashi792 : 29th December 2021 at 14:07.
shashi792 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 09:49   #83
BHPian

Hi All,

I have booked Tata Altroz XZA+ DCA one month ago. Now I am waiting for delivery and it is taking longer than expected time ( Both delaer and TAMO are clueless). So I am giving second thoughts. This one is touching 11.5L OTR. Nexon is coming to my mind.

My requirements
1. Safety (no compromise whatsoever)
2. Petrol automatic (not amt hater but good if I get other options)
3. Rear seat comfort (not necessarily bigger but should be good for 4 passengers)

I had learnt driving recently. I took the test drive of Altroz DCA and found it very smooth (since I am a newbie I can't judge on engine pickup and power as of now).

I don't like Nexon exterior and interiors are just ok for me (rear design of nexon is an eyesore). Whereas I am in love with Altroz looks and interiors.

I am in a dilemma to choose between good engine (nexon amt) vs good automatic (altroz dca). I am not sure if NA engine with 86PS power and 113NM torque is sufficient for me. (Currently I enjoy driving sedately but not sure how it goes in future when I need to overtake)

What are your thoughts. Which one suits for my requirements. I am ok to stretch budget to nexon only if that 2L extra money is worth to spend.

Most Viewed