Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2020, 22:57   #1
BHPian

Advice needed: Tata Nexon XM vs Altroz XT

Hello BHPians,

I am seeking your advice to break my dilemma in choosing our next car.

Our current steed is a Maruti Suzuki Zen Estilo VXI with around 45000 Km in odometer. The car is impeccably well maintained and last 9 years of ownership has been mostly hassle free. I would have loved to keep it for another 5 years or more. However, of late, I am getting concerned about its safety in case of a mishap, specially after seeing increasing number reckless drivers in our highways.

Requirements: my daily commute between residence and office was earlier 3 km (one way) and now it has reduced to just 1 km (one way). So as you can guess, more than 80% of the mileage in the odometer was clocked on the highways with my better half and our daughter on-board. I anticipate that this highway percentage will increase further in coming years.

Budget: Less than 9L on the road.

Must have: 5 star safety rating, factory fitted music system and AC

With above constraints, basically our choice narrows down between Nexon XM and Altroz XT. Look wise, we like both!

I took a test-drive of Nexon last year in October (see here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4681878 (Tata Nexon : Official Review)). I took another test-drive this month. Both these were BS4 models. I had also asked them for Altroz. Yesterday, we were informed by our agent that both Altroz XT and BS6 Nexon XM (foliage green) would be available at the dealership for viewing (Nexon was meant to be delivered later today whereas Altroz was a display car).

After visiting dealership today, we find both the cars to be rock solid, deservedly 5 stars! I am planning for another test-drive of Nexon BS6 as well as that of Altroz. The fit and finish of Nexon BS6 appeared better than BS4 models. However, they offered a hefty discount on BS4. Should I even consider BS4 model now?

In this circumstances, I am seeking your advice to help me in breaking the dilemma. Thanks in advance.

Nexon XM BS6
Advice needed: Tata Nexon XM vs Altroz XT-img_20200228_101040.jpg

Altroz XT
Advice needed: Tata Nexon XM vs Altroz XT-img_20200228_102939.jpg

Last edited by gmhossain : 28th February 2020 at 13:34.
gmhossain is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 14:13   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Advice needed: Tata Nexon XM vs Altroz XT

This is the simplest "What Car" query ever & the answer is easy = Nexon. Reason being that the Nexon's engine is fantastic (just got more power too), while the one in the Altroz is terribly lame. It has no business being offered in a premium hatchback. The engine is all the more important since you drive a majority of your km on the highway. Where the Nexon will fly past slower traffic, the Altroz will be panting & wheezing.

The one area where the Altroz does score over the Nexon is looks. I love the Altroz' styling & dislike the Nexon's funky body. It's too much for my conservative tastes. But between the 2 cars, it's a no-brainer. Go for the Nexon.

Suggestion: If you can, extend your budget and get the Nexon XZ. Among other niceties, you get that lovely sound system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
and now it has reduced to just 1 km (one way).
Tip = walk to work (if you aren't already doing so).

Last edited by GTO : 28th February 2020 at 14:15.
GTO is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 15:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
my dilemma
Nexon any day! Especially with the new design, I wouldn't even think twice before choosing the Nexon if I were in such a situation.

Drive safe,
R-six
R-Six is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 16:42   #4
BANNED

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 28th February 2020 at 16:55.
TREKKER WOODS is offline   Received Infraction
Old 28th February 2020, 16:58   #5
BHPian

Take the Nexon! With the new petrol engine. Knowing that you frequent the North Bengal hills, it is a simple choice. As you keep your cars really long, I would suggest you look beyond the BS4 discounts, especially given the new, more powerful petrol mill.

Last edited by mi2n : 28th February 2020 at 17:02.
mi2n is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 17:21   #6
BHPian

I too am faced with a similar situation. Although the Altroz looks fantastic my wife pointed out that the rear seats have inadequate under thigh support. This, apart from other things, makes the Nexon the obvious choice though I wanted a small hatchback which would be easier to handle when you have to take the inevitable detour through narrow lanes given how the situation is in Bangalore.
Apart from a rear seat that is super comfortable the Nexon has a ground clearance advantage. The existing 3cyl NA on the Altroz will seem inadequate especially for you since you will be touring with it. If you get the Altroz wait for the turbo petrol version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The one area where the Altroz does score over the Nexon is looks. I love the Altroz' styling & dislike the Nexon's funky body. It's too much for my conservative tastes.
The new front design is great but things start to get busy at the C pillar and if I do end up buying a Nexon I've resolved to never step behind the vehicle.

Last edited by Roy.S : 28th February 2020 at 17:29. Reason: Adding info
Roy.S is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 17:52   #7
BHPian

My views on this.

I will any day choose Nexon over the Altroz for these reasons.

1. Bigger car at least in terms of proportions. You will be respected on the roads and you sit above in a CSUV. The road presence and the commanding view will be a plus.

2. Tata is quite known for niggles at the earlier stage and so the tried and tested Nexon won't hurt you like the early batches of Harriers. I don't need to explain this!

3. From what I have seen, Nexon is spacious compared to the Altroz.

Good luck with finding your new love!
Jagann13 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 17:57   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagann13 View Post
From what I have seen, Nexon is spacious compared to the Altroz.
^ Is the Nexon really all that spacious? I found the pre-facelift Nexon to be unlike a typical Tata where the 5th passenger is unwelcome (shoulder-room wise). And headroom isn't its forte, especially if one is 5'10"+ tall.

But you've compared the Nexon to the Altroz and for all I know (which isn't much), the Altroz is probably Lilliputian in its dimensions.

Me? I like acres of space all around. The Brezza, for instance is likeable.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 19:22   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Nexon all the way.

The reasons-

More powerful.
More spacious.
Better ground clearance.
Time tested.
Spares will be more easily available.
It's already a popular car in the market.

Quote:
Hello BHPians,

Budget: Less than 9L on the road.

Must have: 5 star safety rating, factory fitted music system and AC
Another car that qualifies your need is the Xuv300, but I guess it wont come under Rs 9L on road price. Another downer of the Xuv300 is it's small boot space. Barring these, it's a brilliant car.
Do test drive both and take a call.

Quote:
This will benefit your health as well as your car! For a 1 km run, the engine do not reach it's optimum operating temperature. So for a significant number of kilometers, your car engine will be running at less than the operating temperature.
For such short commutes, walking or cycling is best!

Between congrats in advance for your new car!

Last edited by Samba : 28th February 2020 at 19:41.
Samba is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 19:30   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
The new front design is great but things start to get busy at the C pillar and if I do end up buying a Nexon I've resolved to never step behind the vehicle.
I dont think this is any different from many other vehicles. Neighbor has a Seltos, and while the D pillar looks ok from outside, it is quite bulky when one sees it from the inside. I guess you would get a rear-view camera on the Nexon (if/when you get the Nexon) - so should not be a problem.
condor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 20:09   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
^ Is the Nexon really all that spacious?

But you've compared the Nexon to the Altroz and for all I know (which isn't much), the Altroz is probably Lilliputian in its dimensions.

Me? I like acres of space all around. The Brezza, for instance is likeable.
Yeah. I just compared it to the Altroz as it is the case here. Of all the CSUVs, XUV 300 and the Breeza has better interior space followed by the Nexon.

Since the fellow bhpian wants a safe car, the Breeza is ruled out and XUV stands out of his budget!

Slightly off topic but for me, Triber in its 5 seater mode is the most spacious car under 4m for 4 people but unsafe!

For the time being, Nexon > Altroz.
Jagann13 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 20:15   #12
BHPian

Quote:
This is the simplest "What Car" query ever & the answer is easy = Nexon. Reason being that the Nexon's engine is fantastic
Thank you GTO. I am already thinking much clearer now.

Quote:
I do walk and walk a lot actually but often not for work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Nexon any day! Especially with the new design, I wouldn't even think twice before choosing the Nexon if I were in such a situation.
Thanks for your clear opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Take the Nexon! With the new petrol engine. Knowing that you frequent the North Bengal hills, it is a simple choice. As you keep your cars really long, I would suggest you look beyond the BS4 discounts, especially given the new, more powerful petrol mill.
Thank you Mithun! You know my real requirements really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Apart from a rear seat that is super comfortable the Nexon has a ground clearance advantage.
I agree that Nexon has a clear advantage regarding ground clearance. I took a picture of Altroz's ground clearance today (same as my current steed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagann13 View Post
I will any day choose Nexon over the Altroz for these reasons.
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Nexon all the way.
Thank you Samba. I agree with your arguments.

Ground clearance of Altroz
Advice needed: Tata Nexon XM vs Altroz XT-img_20200228_103225.jpg
gmhossain is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 20:19   #13
Team-BHP Support

Motor-wise, it's a no-contest, but please try out in-cabin ergonomics too.

When I drove the Nexon, I wasn't very comfortable with the driver foot-well. My size 10/11 feet had limited space to maneuver, and I'd have preferred more spacing between the pedals.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 22:41   #14
BHPian

Here is one more factor that you should consider.

Nexon has already seen a few iterations and that means TATA has spent enough time in fine tuning the car based on the feedback from the first set of users.

While on the other hand, Altroz is a brand new product and if you were to pick one up, you are going to be one of the BETA testers. Given that you are going to keep your car for long, it would always make sense to get a car which has a bit more proven track record that a fresh entrant.

Hope this helps in your decision making a bit easier.

Drive Safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 22:59   #15
Team-BHP Support

Altroz really deserves the turbo petrol, and till that happens - the 1.5 diesel remains the only real engine of choice.

Between the two petrol variants - Nexon it is, without any doubt!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks