BHPian

Re: Advice needed: Tata Nexon XM vs Altroz XT

Advantage Altroz XT:

1.Steering mounted controls
2.Cruise Control
3.Touchscreen Harman music system with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay

All these features would be missing in Nexon XM

Advantage Nexon XM:

1.120 PS turbo petrol. Should be a hoot to drive.
2.Much better implementation of Drive modes - Eco, City and Sport
3.Fantastic ground clearance
4.Projector headlights
5.Electronic Stability Programme

Choose based on which of these pull your heart strings more.

Last edited by vshankarhere : 2nd March 2020 at 09:53. Reason: Formatting
vshankarhere is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 11:58   #32
BHPian

The BS6 Nexon looks good and is a very safe car with ESP and TC standard. Looks well finished too. If you intend to go on long drives, SUV is better for the added ground clearance and the view from driver's seat.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:51   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Hello BHPians,
I am seeking your advice to break my dilemma in choosing our next car.

Nexon XM BS6

Altroz XT
I know I'll be the only one saying this. But if I were shopping - I'd pick the Altroz over the Nexon petrol.

And I'm a Nexon owner. Sit in both the cars like I have done. The sheer difference in design, material quality & finish is something for which I'll pick the Altroz. The cabin is far more inviting & better place to be. The doors close like a tank in the Altroz. They don't in a Nexon. Hold the door handle of a Nexon and you feel you are getting into an Uber ride. Hold the Altroz's unit and you'll know why they say GOLD STANDARD.

You've run your current car only 45k kms in 9 years. That means you don't go road-tripping too often. The Nexon's 120PS on tap is useful mainly on these. For every other use, the 85 odd PS from the Altroz will serve 95% of your needs surely. It is a better made & better thought out car. The clutch & gear shift action on the Altroz is significantly better than the Nexon's IMO. These little things make a big difference in day to day drives.

The ergonomic disasters in Nexon are unbearable & I get frustrated daily with them even after 6 months of ownership. The reason I can live with them is the stonking diesel engine I drive. I would not live with these ergonomics in a petrol Nexon if I were in the market for one.

If you were comparing the Nexon with other CSUVs, I'd have immediately suggested the Nexon (and EcoSport ) over the others. But here - my vote for Altroz.

Last edited by Reinhard : 3rd March 2020 at 12:56.
Reinhard is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 14:24   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I know I'll be the only one saying this. But if I were shopping - I'd pick the Altroz over the Nexon petrol.

And I'm a Nexon owner. Sit in both the cars like I have done. The sheer difference in design, material quality & finish is something for which I'll pick the Altroz. The cabin is far more inviting & better place to be. The doors close like a tank in the Altroz.
Thank you Reinhard for your opinion. I agree, in Altroz, doors close with a solid thud!

Quote:
You've run your current car only 45k kms in 9 years. That means you don't go road-tripping too often.
Despite the apparent low mileage, the most of the 45k was done on various road-trips, including several trips in eastern Himalayas . This is the thing that is adding up to my dilemma. Actually, we reside in a campus where my office and residence are within walking distances of each other!

Quote:
The ergonomic disasters in Nexon are unbearable
Would you mind to be more elaborate on the ergonomic issues? I did take couple of test drives but you have driven way more than me!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by gmhossain : 4th March 2020 at 14:29.
gmhossain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 14:36   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi gmHossain,
Quote:
Despite the apparent low mileage, the most of the 45k was done on various road-trips, including several trips in eastern Himalayas . This is the thing that is adding up to my dilemma. Actually, we reside in a campus where my office and residence are within walking distances of each other!
Ah my bad then! Sorry.
Quote:
Would you mind to be more elaborate on the ergonomic issues? I did take couple of test drives but you have driven way more than me!
Sure - here are the items I find irritating (at least after how perfect they were in my Vista previously). Some are specific to me being taller than average Indian brethren so might not be issues for someone around 5.5ft in height maybe.
  1. The placement of USB, 12V socket ahead of gear stick. Its just silly. Takes minutes to connect a USB cable there. And a challenge after sunset.
  2. The inside door handle in the front doors (basically a vertical deep notch) is exactly where I can rest my elbow while driving. So I can't use the side armrest. It hurts with the hard edge & dip.
  3. Front seat recline adjustment levers are poor. Seat doesn't latch in quickly. I don't know how they could get it wrong!
  4. Master power window buttons are placed too close to me. I have to twist the right hand in all possible planes to reach the rear window switches.
  5. Front Center armrest quality is good. Storage also good. But - there is something wrong with its height. I have left shoulder pain since some weeks now & I'm suspecting the Nexon gave it! I think its too high for those with longer arms. Although this would apply only for XZ or above I guess. So not a worry for you. XM is fine! I find it more comfortable without the arm rest.
  6. The rear seat entry is quite tricky for elderly. Very small gap at the bottom end to get your limbs in!

Last edited by Reinhard : 4th March 2020 at 14:45.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 05:58   #36
BHPian

Nexon makes it a complete car. Sometime in the future of and when you feel like there's a need to upgrade or need more space, Altroz would be a problem but with Nexon, you're to an extent future-proofed in terms of unforeseen space, power, ground clearance, spares requirements.

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th March 2020 at 08:05. Reason: Typo corrections
TejasV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 10:05   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasV View Post
Nexon makes it a complete car. Sometime in the future of and when you feel like there's a need to upgrade or need more space, Altroz would be a problem but with Nexon, you're to an extent future-proofed in terms of unforeseen space, power, ground clearance, spares requirements.
Power - maybe yes. Depends on whether one needs it. Remember - Nexon's more power also needs to pull more weight.
Ground clearance - a big YES.
Cabin / boot space - I find Altroz to be on par. Passenger cabin is actually more spacious (at least perceived) compared to Nexon.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 10:46   #38
BHPian

Quote:
.. cabin is actually more spacious (at least perceived) compared to Nexon.
The rear seat is not too great in the Altroz. Although leg room is better than most vehicles in the sub 4m class, the seat base itself is short and lacks under thigh support. Decent for city runs but I'd get fidgety if I had to spend a few hours sitting on it.
Roy.S is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 02:52   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
most of the 45k was done on various road-trips, including several trips in eastern Himalayas . This is the thing that is adding up to my dilemma. Actually, we reside in a campus where my office and residence are within walking distances of each other!
I too have spent the last 3 years in a campus at Jodhpur where I used to walk from the residential complex to the work place more than 90% of the times (distance was 750m one way) and car was used only on weekends. Our institute lacked covered parking till mid of 2019. Kalyani campus being a newly built one must be lacking covered parking as well. Rubber beadings etc of TATA cars tend to get hard faster in such conditions. Hopefully Nexon and Altroz dont have such issues. I recommend that do keep i20 in the shortlist, if possible.

Strictly between Altroz and Nexon, I'd recommend a Nexon over Altroz. Reason being more space for highway drives, more GC and a more powerful engine that is important while driving in hilly areas.
PaddleShifter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 14:39   #40
BANNED

I will always prefer nexon.
Great road presence.
An suv afterall. Good ground clearance.
Nexon is largely accepted than altroz
Old 17th September 2020, 19:28   #41
BHPian

Hi Gents,

I'm looking for similar advice as the OP albeit between Altroz XT/XZ diesel and Nexon XZ petrol.
Based on the test drives that I did, below are my observations:
Altroz Pros/ Nexon cons:
- Good looks
- I get the top end variant for slightly more money than the Nexon XZ variant which misses out on Alloy wheels and that lovely leather wrapped steering wheel.
- Felt a little more nicer to drive than the Nexon petrol.
- Very importantly, the gear shifts were quite good in the Altroz. In comparison, it was a struggle to shift from 2 to 3 in the Nexon.

Altroz cons/ Nexon Pros:
- Ground clearance
- Both me and Dad are six footers and it requires a bit of contortion to get to the drivers seat.
- Cabin is a little less roomier than the Nexon.

While I may find the more sportier Altroz appealing now, I would like to ensure that my parents don't find it difficult vis-a-vis the Nexon a few years down the line.
All suggestions are appreciated. Also, please point out if I have missed out on any aspects while deciding between these two cars.

Thanks

Last edited by ZedMae : 17th September 2020 at 19:30. Reason: Added one more point
ZedMae is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 20:14   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
Hi Gents,

While I may find the more sportier Altroz appealing now, I would like to ensure that my parents don't find it difficult vis-a-vis the Nexon a few years down the line.
All suggestions are appreciated. Also, please point out if I have missed out on any aspects while deciding between these two cars.

Thanks
No brainer question here. If you opt for Nexon XZ you get a far superior car with more space, GC and comfort.
Had it been the XM vs Altroz XZ/XT there might have been different opinions on which things you prefer-
A better engine, space and practicality or features and bling stuff.
The Nexon XZ is far superior than an Altroz XZ be it the engine, space and size.
Just get the Nexon, put on some alloys from the market and heck you are good to go.
Thanx and Cheers.
chiefpk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 20:48   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpk View Post
No brainer question here. If you opt for Nexon XZ you get a far superior car with more space, GC and comfort.
Had it been the XM vs Altroz XZ/XT there might have been different opinions on which things you prefer-
A better engine, space and practicality or features and bling stuff.
The Nexon XZ is far superior than an Altroz XZ be it the engine, space and size.
Just get the Nexon, put on some alloys from the market and heck you are good to go.
Thanx and Cheers.
Hi chiefpk,

Thanks for your response. Regarding the engine - Here I'm comparing the Altroz diesel with the Nexon Petrol and I found the Altroz diesel to be a little more smoother and less strained to pick up speeds.

Thanks
ZedMae is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 22:45   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
Hi chiefpk,

Thanks for your response. Regarding the engine - Here I'm comparing the Altroz diesel with the Nexon Petrol and I found the Altroz diesel to be a little more smoother and less strained to pick up speeds.

Thanks
I have seen your TLs here, you make excellent long tours, and with family. If you can sacrifice a bit of driving dynamics per your own test drive observations, with Nexon you will get a more spacious car for the family to be more comfortable and also better GC. Do you plan to TD the Sonet?
haisaikat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 23:31   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hey ZedMae, Just giving my 2 cents on your situation.

1. I assume you are looking for a safe car with a spacious backseat which will also be used by the Seniors of the family. In this regard, I'll recommend you to go ahead with the Nexon. It is much higher off the ground than the Altroz, has good ride quality for our conditions and is equally safe as the Altroz.

2. I also noticed that you're comparing the Nexon Petrol to the Altroz diesel. Why don't you look at the Nexon diesel for a proper comparison? It might solve the performance related issue and the Nexon might fair better than the Altroz. Along with that, if you can, please do for the top-spec variant.
akash_v12 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks