Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2020, 08:30   #46
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 Nios vs the others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Buy a nios AMT/swift AMT. She doesn't like the tiagos etc as the same choices were there when she bought the nano.
)
I will tell you my take on why I have bought the Nios over the Swift finally.

The cars are pretty similar in their reliability and the fact that they are closely priced makes it really hard to choose.

The Nios AMT in traffic felt much smoother. The second time I drove the Swift (TD again), I realised that the 7k driven swift already had vibrations. After living with a 1st gen Swift with loose interiors and noises - I really didn't want that again.Still, that was not the reason.

I realised that the Nios is a much more modern looking as well as a newer car with a smoother AMT and at a lower price than the swift (about 20-30k in my city). To top it off, the dealer (Lakshmi Hyundai) gave a handsome discount on the Asta AMT and that tipped the scales.
TejasV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 08:52   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasV View Post
Thanks for your valuable suggestions. I have just booked the Grand i10 Nios AMT Asta Variant (Approx Rs.9 lacs on-road) the dealer gave a 20k discount which made me book this over the Sportz variant which was priced at 8.5 lacs.
Congratulations. Wish you a fuss-free ownership ahead

But Man!!! ~9L for an AMT small car is insane. Last April(2019), I had an offer of 7.8L for Grand i10 AT(TC box) from showroom after around 1L discount. So the price has actually gone up after adding the cheaper AMT over the TC box. Just checked bangalore prices and its 9.3L for Nios Asta AMT & 9.8L for Swift Zxi+ AMT without discounts. A million bux can fetch you only a small hatch with AMT now. Definition of VFM needs to be redefined

Last edited by SoumenD : 9th March 2020 at 08:57.
SoumenD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 12:12   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
But Man!!! ~9L for an AMT small car is insane. Last April(2019), I had an offer of 7.8L for Grand i10 AT(TC box) from showroom after around 1L discount. So the price has actually gone up after adding the cheaper AMT over the TC box.
Thanks, yup the prices are crazy!!! Just took the plunge as Sportz missed a lot of kit and the Asta only costed 30k more with a 30k discount.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th March 2020 at 12:27.
Old 9th March 2020, 14:54   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, yup the prices are crazy!!! Just took the plunge as Sportz missed a lot of kit and the Asta only costed 30k more with a 30k discount.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Hi TejasV,
Firstly congrats on your new car.

NIOS is a good car, and the hyundai A.S.S is very good.(Have owned 3 Hyundai's myself and can vouch for it)

Good that you changed your mind for a top end model.
A top end model with all bells and whistles will keep you happy for a long time.

For the additional 30k extra you paid, you will get :
1. Bigger wheels (R15 vs R14)
2. Leather wrapped steering
3. Push start
4. Cooled glovebox
5. Wireless mobile charger
6. Rear seat adjustable headrests
7. Rear wiper and washer
8. Luggage lamp
9. Other chrome bits here and there
Feels a real work for 30k more.

Wish you loads of safe miles ahead.
Do pen down a ownership log with lots of pics.
DLC5005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 14:48   #50
BHPian

Quote:
I will tell you my take on why I have bought the Nios over the Swift finally.

The cars are pretty similar in their reliability and the fact that they are closely priced makes it really hard to choose.

The Nios AMT in traffic felt much smoother. The second time I drove the Swift (TD again), I realised that the 7k driven swift already had vibrations. After living with a 1st gen Swift with loose interiors and noises - I really didn't want that again.Still, that was not the reason.

I realised that the Nios is a much more modern looking as well as a newer car with a smoother AMT and at a lower price than the swift (about 20-30k in my city). To top it off, the dealer (Lakshmi Hyundai) gave a handsome discount on the Asta AMT and that tipped the scales.

Congrats
Even I am considering i10 NIOS and found the AMT shifting to be very smooth compared to what I have read about AMTs. Also love the overall look of the car and the interiors

Did you go with Asta ?
Old 16th March 2020, 18:54   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post

Did you go with Asta ?

Thanks Dhruv,

Yes I got an Asta Amt petrol in teal blue. The dealership offered a 30k discount which got the price to 8.75 on road in Hyderabad. I also took the 4th year extended warranty which costed about 8k. I will start an ownership thread soon.Hyundai Grand i10 Nios vs the others-img_20200314_120302.jpg

Last edited by TejasV : 16th March 2020 at 19:06. Reason: Grammar
TejasV is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 17:20   #52
BHPian

This entire thread has been very helpful and many points feel like taken straight out of my head

LONG POST WARNING!

Quote:
Tried that for a long time. The place where I stay is bang in the middle of the IT hub here in Hyderabad and paying 5X fares in the mornings and evenings is the norm. The real issue is not getting cabs at all
Almost the same situation for me in Bangalore. Even though we moved closer to our work to a not-so-nice part of the town (read dusty, polluted, congested, constant construction, far from the main city, crazy rent)

Until we moved here and experienced the ORR traffic I felt I could get away from owning a car. I finally made up my mind to buy one and then I felt exactly as SoumenD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
But Man!!! ~9L for an AMT small car is insane. Just checked bangalore prices and its 9.3L for Nios Asta AMT & 9.8L for Swift Zxi+ AMT without discounts. A million bux can fetch you only a small hatch with AMT now. Definition of VFM needs to be redefined
I couldn't digest the prices and pushed my purchase by nearly 2 years until I made my peace with it and changed my expectation of VFM, sigh.

Then, everyone of my friends and family who regularly drive insisted that I get an automatic. This made me look into AMTs as I was looking for that sweet spot of having most features which I will be happy with for the next 5-6 years and not breaking the bank. But then I read so many posts on this forum about avoiding AMTs and had a question just like Turbo Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
but are AMTs really as bad as depicted by many members here ?
I knew that because I was not spoilt by the experience of Torque Converters or DCTs my expectations from AMT will be low. But the posts made me very worried if I'll regret buying an AMT. But thanks to some folks like DCEite and praveen_v I was able to better understand the expectation-reality gap and made me more confident with AMTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Unfortunately, most of the folks who comment about AMT have not really driven it and voice their opinion based on hearsay.

My daily run car is an AMT (after having owned MT cars for last 15 years), it has clocked 15k kms and is around 2.5 years old.

The only issue i have faced is the shift from 1st to 2nd which is jerky occasionally. Most other gear shifts are not noticeable unless you are observing very carefully.

The comfort my AMT car has given me on driving and manoeuvring day to day heavy traffic has been a life saver. I absolutely abhor shifting gears and continuously manipulating the clutch, and the AMT makes the life easy just like any other Automatic transmission.

I would suggest, don't go on hearsay and do test drive the modern day AMTs over extended duration, before concluding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
Let me pitch in since I drive both the Jazz CVT and the NIOS AMT. I almost always prefer the NIOS over the Jazz to drive due it being more compact and much easier to drive. I have driven 4k kms now in the NIOS and will summarize some of the things I feel about driving the car. It turned out to be a longer post but I hope it will be useful to anyone who plans on getting it.

1. The NIOS AMT is definitely much better than other AMTs like the one in Maruti. It shifts up typically around the 2.5k rpm mark when driving normally and progressively at higher rpms based on higher throttle input.
2. Shift from 1st to 2nd is the only time I feel the lag or the head-nod for about a second. This makes it difficult to sometimes fill the gap ahead quickly. It can catch you out if you are not anticipating it. I got used to this now and now glance the speedo to check if its in 1st gear and backoff. If it is in 2nd, I shoot for the gap. When I am in the passenger seat dont feel any of this lag/upshift at all.
3. 1st Gear is till 2.5k rpm and around 17-18kmph. It does NOT slip clutch in 2nd gear during B2B crawling. Holds the 1st gear till 2.5k rpm. Creep speed is around 7kmph. Sometimes when crawling around 10-12kmph there is jerky motion (Its still is 1st gear). Keep calm, take the foot off for a sec and press the accelerator again smoothens it out. Takes some getting used to. Does not always happen. This jerkiness slowly got better after 2k kms but its not completely eliminated. Once it moves to 2nd gear then its all good. Crawling in traffic is one area where the CVT does it with absolute smoothness.
4. Once it moves up to 2nd, it comes into its comfort zone and becomes much nicer to drive. Shift ups from 2nd to 3rd and higher becomes faster without much lag and I would go out and say becomes more fun and responsive than the CVT in Jazz. This is where I prefer the AMT over the CVT. Being a smaller car also makes it feel bit zippier
5. Shift down has been very seamless even all the way till 1st gear. Come to think of it, I do not even feel it is shifting down 95% of the time. No Jerks here.
6. Never used the Manual mode much other than for trying it out to see how it behaves and few times in mall parking ramps to hold 1st gear.
7. I have tried varying throttles and found the point beyond which the AMT box kicksdown 1-2 gears. I have driven a couple of trips on 2 lane highways and as long as it is in 2nd or above and you just take a few seconds to plan the overtake, it is pretty easy to do it. Put pedal to the metal and it will drop 1 or even 2 gears reasonably quickly builds speed quickly. CVT makes only noise and speed does not build up. Heavier CVT car makes it worse. I feel more confident with the AMT than the CVT on 2 lane highways.
8. Reaches 3 digit speeds fairly quickly and feels stable. To me the Jazz feels a bit strained at 3 digit speeds maybe due to heaver car+CVT with a similar 1.2L engine
9. It does not have hill hold and will roll back on slopes. Need to use the handbrake to hold and release it as you start to accelerate. CVT holds the slope bit better than this AMT box.
10. If you turn the wheels and try to start i.e turning it out from a parking spot, there will be some hesitation before it starts creeping. Keeping the wheels straight when starting the creep avoids this. I guess this is a problem with all AMTs. CVT are better in this case.
11. In 100% city traffic with full AC on, I get about 12-12.5kmpl (tank-to-tank) while the MID shows 13-14kmpl. This MID is like the old nokia phone. Slow to drop bars at first and as it gets near empty starts dropping it faster. Jazz CVT also returned similar figures for my usage. Get 450km range with 100% city driving in both cars.
12. 5Yr 40,000 KM warranty. 5Yr warranty at no extra cost if you opt for this variable plan with your low running.
13. Interior quality is better than even the Jazz which is a segment above
14. Feel slight vibration in the steering with the AC running and I noticed only after the first service. It initially bothered me a bit. Now got used to it.

Coming to the most irritating thing with the NIOS. The horn sounds when locking and unlocking with the remote and it cannot be disabled I now try to use the key to lock/unlock most of the time due to this stupid thing.

So my advise is to test drive it on bumper to bumper traffic and pay attention to the things I mentioned. If you feel the mannerisms with the first 2 gears are reasonable and does not bother you, then there is nothing else to worry about in the NIOS AMT. Me I am always driving the NIOS now and dont touch the Jazz much at all.
praveen_v's post made so many things clear to me and mentioned some of the things I had also felt/noticed. Many thanks!

So, the reason I stumbled upon this thread is not so straightforward. i10 Nios was not on my radar at all.

I have been in a few Hyundai cars to experience their bouncy/soft suspension, especially in the Xcent cabs that I had completely ignored them.

I had narrowed down to Tata Tiago XZA+ and Maruti Ignis Zeta AMT and asked in this forum (Which hatchback in the 6 - 7 lakh budget?) to help me choose. After some interesting conversations one post had planted a seed, although I didn't take it very seriously then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
So, out of the 2 cars that you have selected, The Tiago is definitely the better built but there are more cons than pros in buying an AMT Tiago.

The Ignis is nowhere near as close to a Tiago in build quality but is more fun-to-drive and better equipped.

However!

The Nios is a very worthy competitor to the Tiago, albeit in the lower Sportz AMT which misses out on most non-essential features (cooled glovebox, leather steering, etc.). The only major loss with the Sportz variant is the rear wash/wipe & 15-inch Alloys (There are 14-inch alloys though).

Speaking of Suspension, the ride is much more balanced and it doesn't bounce around a lot. The Nios is decently built, has a long feature list along with a great Arkamys sound system backed by a reliable manufacturer. So, if you can stretch go for the Grand i10 Nios Sportz/Asta AMT.

Here is BHPian Rahul Goyal's Grand i10 Nios Sportz AMT. (My Hyundai Grand i10 Nios Sportz AMT - Titan Grey)

I test drove the Ignis and Tiago fully expecting to not like the Ignis at all and liking most parts about Tiago. But, it was a close match between the two!

I didn't like the quality of interiors in Ignis, and also from a VFM standpoint Tiago offered more features. While Ignis missed out on Auto A/C and Rear camera it had split rear seats with headrests and push start with door request sensors. The engine was more fun in Ignis and the AMT was better in Ignis than Tiago which turned out to be one of main let downs in Tiago for me. On top of it the doubts over service (especially as a first time buyer) drove me away from Tiago.

I settled on Ignis and was trying to justify the decision (in terms of safety) as Ignis is relatively well built for a Maruti and lesser of the evils. I had paid booking amount and I had to wait until October for some auspicious dates so couldn't go ahead and purchase. I was frantically looking at videos and written reviews for Ignis and every other comparable car. My friends again asked why not Hyundai and then I thought to myself to give Nios a shot and asked for test drive. The showroom was very responsive and the sales person was very proactive or else I would given up on it if the experience was anything like I had with Tata where I had to almost beg them for a test drive.

Even though I expected to like the famed Hyundai build quality it still caught me by surprise and is way above Ignis' interiors. Surprisingly, I was not a fan of the rear seats because of how steeply it it is reclined backwards. The lack of any adjustable headrests (in Sportz) was the biggest sore thumb in this package. Don't get me started on stupid misses like no rear wiper when they provide defogger!

I wasn't expecting to like the ride of Nios and was fully prepared for a bouncy, boat like feeling. It was much better than what I expected and I have no experience in driving great driver's cars but this felt good (Ignis has a more peppy engine and more fun because of how small it is).

Now, I was in a dilemma. While Nios was more expensive it was the newer model and better kitted for the price. The main things it missed over Ignis Zeta was adjustable head rests, 60/40 split seats, push start and request sensors. While I had some use for 60/40 split seats the others were not deal breakers for me.

On top of it, the dealership was actively listening to my requests and was also eager to win me as a customer, while Maruti just gave me the 'consumer discount = x, corporate discount = y' take-it-or-leave-it attitude.

In the end, I decided that Nios is the better car for my needs and will soon close the booking!

Quote:
Thanks for your valuable suggestions. I have just booked the Grand i10 Nios AMT Asta Variant (Approx Rs.9 lacs on-road) the dealer gave a 20k discount which made me book this over the Sportz variant which was priced at 8.5 lacs.
Wow! I guess it's the tax difference between Telangana and Karnataka. In Bangalore, the difference in on-road price is about 80k! I'm getting a decent discount on Sportz but even with a great discount on Asta I think the price difference will be about 50k. I would definitely like the rear wiper, head rests and maybe the 15" alloys but I have to ask myself are they really worth the premium!

I hate this weird cost-cutting done by Hyundai. Skipping rear wiper in Sportz, skipping passenger side request sensor in Asta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC5005 View Post
Hi TejasV,
Firstly congrats on your new car.

NIOS is a good car, and the hyundai A.S.S is very good.(Have owned 3 Hyundai's myself and can vouch for it)

Good that you changed your mind for a top end model.
A top end model with all bells and whistles will keep you happy for a long time.

For the additional 30k extra you paid, you will get :
1. Bigger wheels (R15 vs R14)
2. Leather wrapped steering
3. Push start
4. Cooled glovebox
5. Wireless mobile charger
6. Rear seat adjustable headrests
7. Rear wiper and washer
8. Luggage lamp
Feels a real work for 30k more.
After seeing TejasV's purchase I'm tempted by Asta variant. I value the rear wiper and rear headrests among all the features listed here and really struggling to justify the 50-60k price for that.

Quote:
4. Cooled glovebox
I believe the cooled glovebox is present in Sportz AMT (while not there in Sportz MT).

Quote:
Also, I would pay money to delete the chrome bits

Whew! that took a while. Not sure what triggered me to write this long post here but I guess I had all these thoughts swimming in my heads and wanted to pour it out somewhere.

Last edited by tinshark : 21st September 2020 at 17:26. Reason: typos and rephrasing
tinshark is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 20:53   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinshark View Post
In the end, I decided that Nios is the better car for my needs and will soon close the booking!

I would definitely like the rear wiper, head rests and maybe the 15" alloys but I have to ask myself are they really worth the premium!
Tinshark, first of all - Congratulations!
I'm glad I could be of help to someone in choosing a vehicle.

I'll definitely recommend you to stretch your budget and go ahead and book the Asta variant and not skimp on important safety features like adjustable headrests - they can be of immense use if an unforeseen event occurs.

Congratulations once again, hoping to see a review of your car soon.

Also, the omission of the passenger side request sensor is nothing new on Hyundai-Kia cars. It's been constant throughout their entire range including the more expensive cars!

Last edited by akash_v12 : 21st September 2020 at 20:56. Reason: Comments added!
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 12:52   #54
BHPian

Quote:

I'll definitely recommend you to stretch your budget and go ahead and book the Asta variant and not skimp on important safety features like adjustable headrests - they can be of immense use if an unforeseen event occurs.
I did think about it from a safety perspective, but when we took the test drive it never felt like the fixed headrest was inadequate for our heights. One of the reasons I liked Ignis was that they had not skimped on seats, but this didn't leave me wanting. The bigger miss, for me personally, is rear wipers after I found no issues with headrests.

I will see what kind of offers they can give me for Asta once I've negotiated the price for sportz. If Asta had front & rear headrests that would have sealed the deal for me.

Quote:
Also, the omission of the passenger side request sensor is nothing new on Hyundai-Kia cars. It's been constant throughout their entire range including the more expensive cars!
Yea, this is very annoying. On top of this I believe the previous gen grand i10 had auto dimming IRVM!

Last edited by tinshark : 22nd September 2020 at 12:59. Reason: Added another line
Old 23rd September 2020, 11:59   #55
BHPian

Hey guys. Have a quick question for a friend who is thinking of buying a new car.

Usage: The car will be primarily used in Jamshedpur by my friend and his family (retired parents). The car will not be used on a daily basis and will be used for running errands and for inter-city commutes like Ranchi (nearest airport). The budget is around 7-8 lakhs and they have short-listed 3 cars after visiting almost all the showrooms in Jamshedpur:
1) Hyundai Grand i10 Nios Sportz+ DT
Price: ~7.4 lakhs
Positives: Newest launch, good-looking car, Hyundai sales and support.
Negative: Just feels a bit small as compared to i20.

2) Hyundai Elite i20 Sportz+
Price: ~7.7 lakhs
Positives: Good looking car, tried and tested over many years, still one of the best premium hatchbacks in the country.
Negative: New generation is just around the corner.

3) Honda Amaze V MT
Price: ~7.5 lakhs
Positives: Engine is superb, gives the big car feel to parents (although it is of the same size as i20, parents think that it looks bigger due to sedan silhouette)
Negative: Not as feature laden as Hyundai's, seems to be stuck in 2015.

The variant names might not be accurate as this is what I could gather from my friend's dad (not a car guy). I have asked them to visit Tata as well and have a look at Altroz. They are not interested in Maruti after owning an 800 and WagonR for many years.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd September 2020, 12:31   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_breakfree View Post

2) Hyundai Elite i20 Sportz+
Price: ~7.7 lakhs
Positives: Good looking car, tried and tested over many years, still one of the best premium hatchbacks in the country.
Negative: New generation is just around the corner.

The variant names might not be accurate as this is what I could gather from my friend's dad (not a car guy). I have asked them to visit Tata as well and have a look at Altroz. They are not interested in Maruti after owning an 800 and WagonR for many years.
Ask them to take a look at the Tigor and Altroz. They can opt for Altroz XZ and Tigor XZ+ if safety is also in the list. Still both these cars are valuable options. If the 3 above mentioned are to be picked then I would go for the i20.
For mainly city usage the i20 is the best bet. For intercity travels tho, I would give safety as a bit high priority. Also, the sportz+ will cost around 8 lacs and not 7.7 lacs. Do crosscheck.

Last edited by chiefpk : 23rd September 2020 at 12:32.
chiefpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 14:47   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpk View Post
Ask them to take a look at the Tigor and Altroz. If the 3 above mentioned are to be picked then I would go for the i20.
Also, the sportz+ will cost around 8 lacs and not 7.7 lacs. Do crosscheck.
Already asked them to check Altroz. They will be going this weekend most probably.

True, Sportz+ is around 8, however, the dealer is giving 40k discount (5k corporate and 35k maybe stock clearance), hence, the final price is coming in the range of 7.7/7.75.
Old 17th October 2020, 22:11   #58
BHPian

I have been owning an Swift ZXI AMT for the past 2.5 years.I have driven it only 7400 KM's till date and the car has quite a few interior panel niggles.My 7 year old Hyundai i10 with around 55000 KM's in the odometer has much better interior quality.I would suggest you to go ahead with the Hyundai Grand i10 Nios as it is has better build quality,better quality interiors.The Swift's engine is indeed sporty but Maruti has reduced the car's weight so much that it doesn't feel stable at high speeds compared to the grand i10 Nios.Over that the current gen Swift comes with a different steering rack over the previous generation Swift's which has spoiler the ride handling of the car to quite some extent.Over that the build quality of the swift is a very big question mark.In the month of february 2020 my friend's 2019 swift met with an accident in which a Maruti wagon R rolled back while going up a slope.The distance between 2 cars were not much and the speed at which the wagon R rolled back was negligible.The damage on the new swift included broken left headlight,broken front bumper,bent left fender which eventually had to be replaced as it was beyond repair.The most horrific thing to know was that the radiator and condenser were also damaged in this minor accident whereas an Scorpio had rolled back on a bridge onto my i10 but to my surprise only the number had a crack which shows the build quality of both the brand's.

I would suggest you to go ahead with the grand i10 Nios.Honestly in every day's drive you won't really miss the sporty engine of the swift.
Old 20th October 2020, 19:56   #59

Quote:
Thanks Dhruv,

Yes I got an Asta Amt petrol in teal blue. The dealership offered a 30k discount which got the price to 8.75 on road in Hyderabad. I also took the 4th year extended warranty which costed about 8k. I will start an ownership thread soon.Attachment 1980591
Booked the same model last week. Was given 25K off on the ASTA AMT brining it to 8.87. I wasn't informed about the extended warranty. What's the mileage for the 4th year extended warranty.

Most Viewed