Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:01   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Grand i10 Nios vs the others

Background:

I need a simple, frugal & dependable automatic hatch. I use it only on the weekends as I live next to my workplace. Might have a 500km highway run once in 2 months at max. Will primarily be used by me +1 one passenger at times. I am putting this thread up as I have not found an exact comparison between these two anywhere.

I have test driven the following vehicles before narrowing it down to the Swift Zxi AMT & i10 Nios Sportz. Both retail at 8-8.5 lakh on-road at Hyderabad.

Baleno - Only slightly more expensive but the CVT makes a lot of noise & both the Swift & Nios felt much more agile.

Nexon - Though out of my budget, still went ahead as it is more "complete" car and safer. But the XZA is almost 3 lakh more expensive at 12 lakh approx and had to drop it.

Jazz & Amaze - 2 lakh more expensive and felt sluggish than the Swift. Also Honda in my city did not have either in stock currently (waiting for BS6?) and asked me to test drive the manual Jazz saying the automatic feels the same & Amaze is almost the same car!

Tiago - Almost a lakh lesser than these two but felt like it was a size/segment smaller.

Freestyle - Not really a Ford fan and service is pretty far from where I stay. I know I would have suggested this to a lot of people but personally, not want to buy one.

Now coming back to these two cars that I have shortlisted: Swift & Nios.

Swift Petrol Zxi AMT

Pros:

1. A proven engine - felt peppier to drive.
2. Looks more sporty to me personally.
3. The dash/layout is more driver focused
4. Frugal
5. Service I guess is cheaper than Hyundai
6. Push button start
7. Keyless entry

Cons:

1. Been in the market for a while.
2. Not very spacious at the back
3. The new alloys with black borders look less sportier than the older ones.
4. Fit and finish isn't the best.
5. No touch screen
6. No Reverse camera
7. No rear ac vents - though I wouldn't mind not having them

Nios Sportz AMT

Pros:

1. Better shifting AMT.
2. Looks very fresh & the new colors really make it stand out.
3. Airy interiors & layout.
4. Feels more compact than it is.

Cons:

1. Pickup & engine response of Swift felt better.
2. No button start
3. Light interior shades make it airy but also get soiled very easily
4. Fixed headrests on front seats
5. No button start
6. Some reports of new-car/launch niggles that I have read

Also, both cars have skimped on a lot of goodies like apple carplay/touch screen on the swift are only available in the even higher priced Zxi+ and so has Hyundai with button start, keyless entry etc. only in the Asta variant. Both these top-most end variants cost 9.5 lakh approx and do not seem VFM anymore for the extra features they offer.

So here I am, with two options that are pretty similar in specs, size, price yet are two very different cars/characters. Will have to decide and book one of these this month, your thought will help clear things for me.

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th March 2020 at 05:55. Reason: Line spaces reduced for better reading
TejasV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:33   #2
BANNED

re: Hyundai Grand i10 Nios vs the others

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasV View Post
I have test driven the following vehicles before narrowing it down to the Swift Zxi AMT & i10 Nios Sportz. Both retail at 8-8.5 lacs on-road at Hyderabad.
My vote is for i10 Nios AMT over the Swift AMT. I recently got to drive the i10 Nios and the Swift ZXi AMT back-to-back, I could feel the difference in shift quality and also find the overall driveability better compared to the 1.2L K Series + AMT on the Swift.

If you have decided on getting the AMT variant, then go ahead but I still feel TC's or CVT's are better compared to AMT's.
a4anurag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:40   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Since your usage isn't high (weekends only, a highway trip every 2 months etc.), why not go for a Grand i10 with a proper Torque Converter Automatic gearbox? I personally steer clear of any AMTs (they're jerky and can be unreliable comparatively). Torque Converter gearboxes on the other hand are practically sealed units that need automatic transmission fluid once in 10 years in some cases (as it is in my used A Star Automatic). Yes, you do get a thirsty gearbox, but your usage itself isn't high. Why not enjoy the refinement of this type of gearbox?
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

The Hyundai AMT has a smoother operation than any other AMT out there. Long term reliability is still a big question with manufacturers claiming they've tested the system for not more than 8000 kms.
If budget allows for it and if fuel efficiency isn't high on your list then the TC(i10) gearboxes or CVT(Jazz) are better options.

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 3rd March 2020 at 12:51.
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Isn't Amaze CVT a better car here considering requirements? Unless you are hell bent on hatchback, Amaze is better choice. Good engine, smooth CVT at similar price point.

Last edited by PrideRed : 3rd March 2020 at 12:55.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:54   #6
Team-BHP Support

Mod note: Thread moved to What Car?
Rudra Sen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 13:03   #7
BHPian

If I'm spending 8.5 lakhs on an automatic car, I would definitely prefer getting a CVT over an AMT. I know that the rubber band effect is bad, especially with smaller displacement engines. But it is a 'proper' automatic and definitely a lot more reliable than AMTs. So getting a Jazz/Baleno would still be my first recommendation.

Coming to your list, I've to disclose that I don't have any experience with Nios AMT. I've only driven the manual and 1.2 K12 would be my pick any day over the 1.2 Kappa. But since Hyundai developed their AMT in house, I guess it'll give you a better experience over the long term.

Since you mentioned that you'll be using it mostly as a two seater, I would recommend getting an Ignis Alpha AMT over the Swift, if you're okay with the looks. It is going to be a lot more cheaper than the Swift and you'll probably be able to haggle price. It'll loaded with every feature you listed and is safer than the Swift. Being a 2017 Ignis customer, I can vouch for the car's reliability and performance to date. Be it city or the highway. It is going to be a lot more VFM than either of Swift or Nios.

So my order of recommendation would be
Jazz/Baleno>Ignis Alpha>Swift Zxi>Nios

P.S: I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the choices as the differences between them are minuscule (Apart from AMT vs CVT). All of them are proven choices and in all probability, you'll get used to your purchase within a very short period.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 13:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Are you open to used cars?

You can get a used Jazz or Honda City CVT within your budget easily.

Heck, I sold my City CVT VX with sunroof for lesser money than your budget. This will be a far better option. A swift or i10 can never come close to the city wrt anything.
2000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 13:41   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Are you open to used cars?

You can get a used Jazz or Honda City CVT within your budget easily.

Yes I am, infact my search started with a city CVT and then thought for my usage and the space in the part of the city I use, maybe a new car would be better. Still considering a city though in Hyderabad, I see a lot of cities on the roads but very few CVTs on OLX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu View Post
So my order of recommendation would be
Jazz/Baleno>Ignis Alpha>Swift Zxi>Nios

P.S: I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the choices as the differences between them are minuscule (Apart from AMT vs CVT). All of them are proven choices and in all probability, you'll get used to your purchase within a very short period.

Funnily, i felt the lack of rubber band effect on the AMTs made them better to drive, if you ignore the head nod when you floor it. Ignis visually puts me off and Jazz felt much slower. Baleno CVT felt very noisy and the build quality is lesser than Ignis & swift surprisingly.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 3rd March 2020 at 13:59. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Please use multi quote button to quote more than one post. Thanks
TejasV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 13:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

If it was between manual, i would have suggested you Swift eyes closed, just for that sweet engine.

However between the AMTs, i would pick the Nios.

If i were you , i would take a very close look at Tiago XZA+. It has all the bells and whistles, probably would cost less than both Nios and Swift, and most importantly, is a 4 star safety rated car.

The AMT in Tiago is not bad at all as well. Do test drive it, specially with the Sport Mode (it comes with two drive modes - city and Sport).
DCEite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 14:29   #11
BHPian

I recently purchase a Swift VXi AMT. I am very satisfied with the performance and comfort. Swift AMT is a boon, especially for city driving. Given that the car has only about 600 kms, the fuel economy is bound to go up after the third service. So far I am getting about 16-17 km/L. Best of luck!
kushagra452 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 14:48   #12
BHPian

I can say from the experience that Torque converters and CVTs are smoother to drive.
I have not driven DSGs but comparing AMT with TC, the latter felt so quick and smooth that I don't mind less FE.

1. If you are okay buying used, you will be able to find less driven cars in your budget.

2. If you want new and will keep it l-o-n-g, please consider cars with TC and CVTs as well.

3. If you want to choose between the two, Hyundai is better on feel good factor and Swift is fun to drive. My personal choice is latter.
procrastinator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 15:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Isn't Amaze CVT a better car here considering requirements? Unless you are hell bent on hatchback, Amaze is better choice. Good engine, smooth CVT at similar price point.
It is but is considerably expensive. The Amaze Automatic Mid variant with alloys costs Rs.10.5+ in Hyderabad. Considering that it would be a 2 seater at most times, I really wouldn't need the extra space (for the extra price).
Old 3rd March 2020, 15:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasV View Post
I have test driven the following vehicles before narrowing it down to the Swift Zxi AMT & i10 Nios Sportz. Both retail at 8-8.5 lacs on-road at Hyderabad.
Hi TejasV,
Firstly, you won't go wrong with either of the choices.
Both are good machines which has proven engines and good service backup.

Of the 2, my vote goes to i10 NIOS. I feel the AMT in NIOS has better shift quality and better overall drivability.
Though you miss on push start, rear wiper and washer, rear headrests, you will get a good touchscreen, projector headlights and better fit and finish with NIOS.

Note:
Also, please don't strike off CVT from your list completely. Do multiple test drives of the CVTs in Jazz/Baleno. CVTs are anyday better than AMTs.

Though you might have to extend your budget for CVTs, you surely won't regret in the longer times.

Again, if possible please opt for top most variant in whichever car you choose. So that you will get all the bells and whistles. This will surely keep you happy in the years to come.

All the best for the new car hunt.
Old 3rd March 2020, 16:02   #15
BHPian

Because you have mentioned Nexon XZA, why don't you try the XMA variant? As long as it is a weekend car, the bells and whistles missing shouldn't be much of a concern. You'll get much safer car
Neeraj1903 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks