Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2020, 21:22   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 Nios vs the others

Sorry for OT/Hijacking the thread, but are AMTs really as bad as depicted by many members here ?

I am planning to buy a hatchback for my wife, strictly for city use (buying groceries and running usual errands) and shortlisted i10 Nios AMT (Asta). Her previous car was Swift (Vxi MT) and that had disastrous brakes, pathetic build quality and plastics which rattled more than rattle snake.

Usual run would be anyways less than 1k/month and though I can afford CVT, strictly don't want anything bigger than i10 Nios, as that's perfect size to drive in crazy city traffic and relatively easier to park (compact). Another reason for staying away from bigger hatchbacks is extreme rubber band effect of CVT (still haunts me from my Civic, which I sold within an year due to same reason).

Considering above facts, I shortlisted i10 Nios, however don't want to make the same mistake again as regret later, Hence seeking valuable suggestions.
Turbo Head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 00:58   #32
BHPian

I am sure you have gone through "Factors on which you buy a car" thread started by GTO. Here is what I say.
Nexon- One of the safest cars in India with good ride quality and ground clearance.
Swift- Great engine and very reliable car.
Nios- Better shifting AMT and as reliable as Swift.

You can select your choice based on the above mentioned thread.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th March 2020 at 01:10. Reason: Typos
Old 6th March 2020, 04:58   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
Sorry for OT/Hijacking the thread, but are AMTs really as bad as depicted by many members here ?

I am planning to buy a hatchback for my wife, strictly for city use (buying groceries and running usual errands) and shortlisted i10 Nios AMT (Asta). Her previous car was Swift (Vxi MT) and that had disastrous brakes, pathetic build quality and plastics which rattled more than rattle snake.
Absolutely makes a lot of sense. The car is a breeze to drive in city traffic and the compact size makes it easy to park. Though I'm yet to finalize, is say you should book the Nios AMT, test drive it thrice and liked it even more everytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmaj View Post
I am sure you have gone through "Factors on which you buy a car" thread started by GTO. Here is what I say.
Nexon- One of the safest cars in India with good ride quality and ground clearance.
Swift- Great engine and very reliable car.
Nios- Better shifting AMT and as reliable as Swift.

You can select your choice based on the above mentioned thread.
Yes I did, thanks for the input. Nexon surprisingly due to its pricing and safety makes a good care for itself if parking space, price and size is not a concern. I'm seriously contemplating on which one to choose as the Nexon for a lac and half more makes a lot more sense now.
TejasV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 09:28   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I also bought a small automatic hatchback (perhaps the smallest of them all, an A Star) for my wife in 2018. I avoided all of the AMTs in the used market for their lack of reliability and their horrible ride quality.

But since you're looking to buy new, reliability concerns should be assuaged by the warranty that you'll get. The jerky gear shifting is something your wife could probably live with, but I didn't wish that on my wife, personally (I'm not saying that you'd be an inconsiderate hubby if you choose an AMT for her). We are very happy with our Torque Converter equipped automatic A Star today!

Last edited by locusjag : 6th March 2020 at 09:31.
Old 6th March 2020, 09:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, most of the folks who comment about AMT have not really driven it and voice their opinion based on hearsay.

My daily run car is an AMT (after having owned MT cars for last 15 years), it has clocked 15k kms and is around 2.5 years old.

The only issue i have faced is the shift from 1st to 2nd which is jerky occasionally. Most other gear shifts are not noticeable unless you are observing very carefully.

The comfort my AMT car has given me on driving and manoeuvring day to day heavy traffic has been a life saver. I absolutely abhor shifting gears and continuously manipulating the clutch, and the AMT makes the life easy just like any other Automatic transmission.

I would suggest, don't go on hearsay and do test drive the modern day AMTs over extended duration, before concluding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I avoided all of the AMTs in the used market for their lack of reliability and their horrible ride quality.
Erm.. what has AMT to do with ride quality ?

Last edited by DCEite : 6th March 2020 at 09:50.
DCEite is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 10:28   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasV View Post

Nexon - Though out of my budget, still went ahead as it is more "complete" car and safer. But the XZA is almost 3 lakh more expensive at 12 lakh approx and had to drop it.
Nexon is the better choice for you (even if you drive very less). Safe, reliable, modern and also the most happening car segment. All these factors deserve the extra premium you pay. 8+ lakh for a hatch is not worth it. but 12 lakh for a stylish miniSUV/crossover is worth it.

Jazz & Amaze - Jazz is very spacious, but that is not your requirement. Also looks like you are not a fan of CVT. Amaze is a 90% Brio with new body panels. Stay away from these cars.

Tiago - It will serve the purpose, but you won't feel special driving it. It is a segment lower than what you are looking for. More on that below in the conclusion.

Baleno CVT - the CVT itself is not the problem, it is the overall refinement of this car is below the segment standards. NVH and build quality are quite poor by segment standards.

Quote:
Freestyle - Not really a Ford fan and service is pretty far from where I stay. I know I would have suggested this to a lot of people but personally, not want to buy one.
This is the exact reason, why Ford is unable to sell a better car of the segment in respectable numbers. A car is only as good as its service network. I hope Ford/Mahindra execs read this thread.

Quote:
Now coming back to these two cars that I have shortlisted: Swift & Nios.
Read my comments below against each point:

Quote:
Swift Petrol Zxi AMT

Pros:
5. Service I guess is cheaper than Hyundai - This is just a perception

Cons:

4. Fit and finish isn't the best - True for every Maruti.
5. No touch screen - A blunder at this Price point
6. No Reverse camera - This is the most important feature in cities where parking is treated as a "challenge".
7. No rear ac vents - Even the brand flagship - S-Cross doesn't have it.

Many report Swift after ~30K Kms is a rattle "snake".

Nios Sportz AMT

Pros:

1. Better shifting AMT. - Very important. Gearbox determines 80% of your driving experience. Today, Hyundai's AMT is the best AMT in business. Tata is the next.

Cons:

1. Pickup & engine response of Swift felt better. - Swift picks up better because of lighter chassis.
2. No button start
4. Fixed headrests on front seats - Hyundai's obligatory cost-cutting
5. No button start - You mentioned it twice. It looks like an important requirement for you.
6. Some reports of new-car/launch niggles that I have read - Hyundais are very reliable with a competent service network. Niggles will be addressed.
Quote:
Also, both cars have skimped on a lot of goodies like apple carplay/touch screen on the swift are only available in the even higher priced Zxi+ and so has Hyundai with button start, keyless entry etc. only in the Asta variant. Both these top-most end variants cost 9.5 lakh approx and do not seem VFM anymore for the extra features they offer.
This is exactly my opinion too. Swift, Nios, Baleno, Elite i20, Jazz is considered "premium" hatches in the segmentation of cars (B2). So you cannot expect value for money. If you want VFM, then go down a segment (B1) - Tiago, WagonR, Santro etc. All of them come with AMT as well.

If you are looking for a real premium feel, go for sub-4 meter SUVs. It is spacious on both passenger and luggage space too. They are expensive and out of your budget, but will satisfy you by truly making you feel premium. So, in that sense, it is value for money. It justifies the price better than the hatches you have shortlisted.

My verdict (in the order of preference):
If VFM is the main criteria: Tiago, Santro, WagonR
If you are OK to stretch: Nexon, Venue, XUV300, Brezza

Don't go for B2 cars which won't satisfy you in both "VFM" and "Premium feel" factors.

Last edited by manjunathkl : 6th March 2020 at 10:37.
manjunathkl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 12:05   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Erm.. what has AMT to do with ride quality ?
Nothing! I sort of kicked myself after writing it! Anyway, I couldn't conjure up the right phrase for it...what I meant to say is a jerky drive I guess?
Old 6th March 2020, 13:53   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Considering above facts, I shortlisted i10 Nios, however don't want to make the same mistake again as regret later, Hence seeking valuable suggestions.
Let me pitch in since I drive both the Jazz CVT and the NIOS AMT. I almost always prefer the NIOS over the Jazz to drive due it being more compact and much easier to drive. I have driven 4k kms now in the NIOS and will summarize some of the things I feel about driving the car. It turned out to be a longer post but I hope it will be useful to anyone who plans on getting it.

1. The NIOS AMT is definitely much better than other AMTs like the one in Maruti. It shifts up typically around the 2.5k rpm mark when driving normally and progressively at higher rpms based on higher throttle input.
2. Shift from 1st to 2nd is the only time I feel the lag or the head-nod for about a second. This makes it difficult to sometimes fill the gap ahead quickly. It can catch you out if you are not anticipating it. I got used to this now and now glance the speedo to check if its in 1st gear and backoff. If it is in 2nd, I shoot for the gap. When I am in the passenger seat dont feel any of this lag/upshift at all.
3. 1st Gear is till 2.5k rpm and around 17-18kmph. It does NOT slip clutch in 2nd gear during B2B crawling. Holds the 1st gear till 2.5k rpm. Creep speed is around 7kmph. Sometimes when crawling around 10-12kmph there is jerky motion (Its still is 1st gear). Keep calm, take the foot off for a sec and press the accelerator again smoothens it out. Takes some getting used to. Does not always happen. This jerkiness slowly got better after 2k kms but its not completely eliminated. Once it moves to 2nd gear then its all good. Crawling in traffic is one area where the CVT does it with absolute smoothness.
4. Once it moves up to 2nd, it comes into its comfort zone and becomes much nicer to drive. Shift ups from 2nd to 3rd and higher becomes faster without much lag and I would go out and say becomes more fun and responsive than the CVT in Jazz. This is where I prefer the AMT over the CVT. Being a smaller car also makes it feel bit zippier
5. Shift down has been very seamless even all the way till 1st gear. Come to think of it, I do not even feel it is shifting down 95% of the time. No Jerks here.
6. Never used the Manual mode much other than for trying it out to see how it behaves and few times in mall parking ramps to hold 1st gear.
7. I have tried varying throttles and found the point beyond which the AMT box kicksdown 1-2 gears. I have driven a couple of trips on 2 lane highways and as long as it is in 2nd or above and you just take a few seconds to plan the overtake, it is pretty easy to do it. Put pedal to the metal and it will drop 1 or even 2 gears reasonably quickly builds speed quickly. CVT makes only noise and speed does not build up. Heavier CVT car makes it worse. I feel more confident with the AMT than the CVT on 2 lane highways.
8. Reaches 3 digit speeds fairly quickly and feels stable. To me the Jazz feels a bit strained at 3 digit speeds maybe due to heaver car+CVT with a similar 1.2L engine
9. It does not have hill hold and will roll back on slopes. Need to use the handbrake to hold and release it as you start to accelerate. CVT holds the slope bit better than this AMT box.
10. If you turn the wheels and try to start i.e turning it out from a parking spot, there will be some hesitation before it starts creeping. Keeping the wheels straight when starting the creep avoids this. I guess this is a problem with all AMTs. CVT are better in this case.
11. In 100% city traffic with full AC on, I get about 12-12.5kmpl (tank-to-tank) while the MID shows 13-14kmpl. This MID is like the old nokia phone. Slow to drop bars at first and as it gets near empty starts dropping it faster. Jazz CVT also returned similar figures for my usage. Get 450km range with 100% city driving in both cars.
12. 5Yr 40,000 KM warranty. 5Yr warranty at no extra cost if you opt for this variable plan with your low running.
13. Interior quality is better than even the Jazz which is a segment above
14. Feel slight vibration in the steering with the AC running and I noticed only after the first service. It initially bothered me a bit. Now got used to it.

Coming to the most irritating thing with the NIOS. The horn sounds when locking and unlocking with the remote and it cannot be disabled I now try to use the key to lock/unlock most of the time due to this stupid thing.

So my advise is to test drive it on bumper to bumper traffic and pay attention to the things I mentioned. If you feel the mannerisms with the first 2 gears are reasonable and does not bother you, then there is nothing else to worry about in the NIOS AMT. Me I am always driving the NIOS now and dont touch the Jazz much at all.
praveen_v is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 15:24   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
So my advise is to test drive it on bumper to bumper traffic and pay attention to the things I mentioned. If you feel the mannerisms with the first 2 gears are reasonable and does not bother you, then there is nothing else to worry about in the NIOS AMT. Me I am always driving the NIOS now and dont touch the Jazz much at all.
Did that, and I completely agree with what you have said. Personally NIOS felt better, and the shifts did not really bother me as much. If its shift quality I would rate NIOS > Swift, and if it was power or response, the other way round, atleast from the TD cars I drove. Jazz felt slower than both to respond in traffic.
Old 6th March 2020, 16:22   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Short answer is, they are not bad; In fact a boon over MT in traffic.

The more we drive it, the better we understand their behavior of automation.
Since your wife already knows MT, she will be able to relate at what point car up shifts or downshifts AND she will be able to modulate her throttle input to make a shift.

It is a manual transmission where gear changes are done by car and felt by driver. We can control the shifts with throttle inputs.

Before you buy, do take an extensive test drive in traffic with a way you intend to drive.

Cheers!

Last edited by procrastinator : 6th March 2020 at 16:25.
procrastinator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 09:37   #41
BHPian

I’ve just upgraded from Swift to the Grandi10
And I can tell you, the Grand is a clear winner.
I’d suggest the NIOS AMT.
since it’s purely a city run, FE figures isn’t a concern in either cars however Maruti is known for the notorious build quality and cabin rattle.
A cousin sold off his Baleno within 3-4 years owing to the rattle issues.
Hyundai fit & finish is top notch.
The rear in Swift is claustrophobic especially with the Beat like door handle.
Additionally the Swift is soon due for a facelift in a year, however the Nios is more fresh and pleasing to look at.
FIAT3031 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 13:47   #42
BHPian

I think most have made their observations including OP who has test driven both the NiosAMT and Swift AMT.

I recently picked up a Swift ZXI+ AMT in the month of October (around the time the NIOS ads had just been out) and thought it was too late to regret.
The NIOS did look appealing with the gadgetry and light color interiors, so did myself the favour of test driving it and getting some closure.

Like you mentioned, the AMT shifts are smoother, but honestly it isn't a world of a difference.
The Swift definitely is a much more fun to drive car and the throttle responses are far sharper. Also, it corners like a go kart. (Experiences from all 3 generations and this doesn't disappoint )

The all black interior of the Swift is also easier to live with, but quality wise the NIOS felt better for sure. Also, did not like the rear one bit of the Hyundai. It feels like a different wierd car altogether!

So to sum it up, take another test drive of both, weigh out the best and take your call. Both are competent and good cars in the market. It all boils down to personal choice at the end of the day.

All the best!
advenk999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 20:46   #43
BHPian

Thanks for your valuable suggestions. I have just booked the Grand i10 Nios AMT Asta Variant (Approx Rs.9 lacs on-road) the dealer gave a 20k discount which made me book this over the Sportz variant which was priced at 8.5 lacs.
TejasV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 22:40   #44
BHPian

I drive the Swift VXi AMT and have absolutely no complaints with the performance or the 'jerkiness'. Swift is a tried and tested product that has been around for a while. The new generation model is well equipped and fun to drive. The AMT is a boon especially in bumper to bumper traffic. My car will mostly be used in the city and hence buying an AMT was a no brainer.
Old 9th March 2020, 07:46   #45
Mik
BHPian

This thread has been very helpful.
My wife has been using the Nano AMT for sometime and she is happy with it. After a recent car purchase (Compass), my Figo is gathering dust. I thought we could let go of the Nano and she could use the Figo.
However, over multiple weekend car lessons, I found that teaching a Automatic driver a manual is difficult.
So now, here are my options (With selling off the Figo being a mandate :-( )

1. Re-register the company lease Nano in our name. The daily drive is 36km (includes 20km highway) however she goes to office only 2/3 days a week.
Maybe drive it for a few years and then buy an electric small car when things mature up a bit.

2. Buy a nios AMT/swift AMT. She doesn't like the tiagos etc as the same choices were there when she bought the nano.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Note: I want to avoid bigger vehicles like nexon for the general safety of bangaloreans :-)
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed