Team-BHP > What Car?

Old 16th March 2020, 00:24   #16
BHPian

Default re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC5005 View Post
Hi dhruvky94,
Since you are looking for a Petrol+Auto transmission, as your first car,
Why not checkout the BS6 Vitara Brezza as well?

It covers most of your requirements and being a Maruti, it won't disappoint you interms of reliability and service.
Safety wise, Brezza had scored 4 stars in the Global NCAP test.
The 200mm ground clearance is an added bonus, to tackle Bangalore roads.
Do test drive it, before eliminating it from your list.

All the best for your car hunt.
Brezza auto is a 4 speed one. Isn't that a downer? Won't this affect the fuel consumption figures badly? 'Ive not driven it but would like to hear fellow bhpians comments on this.

No doubt, Maruti's service and reliability can be banked upon.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 07:41   #17
BHPian

Default re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

I know , this is something that no one has suggested but if you're ready to consider Suzuki 4 speed AT boxes, you should also try out the XL6 AT . The Ertiga, when I owned it, was surprisingly nimble. It was easier to drive compared to a punto I had back then. It's very nimble and has amazing functionality. Just try it out for the heck of it when you're at the next showroom.

Personally, I have moved away from Suzuki because the build quality is crap.

I now own a Creta 1.6 diesel AT, which is so boring to drive in the city . ON the highways though its king.

The other car is a Seltos GT DCT which is just fab to drive . Fortunately I've not had to drive it in B'lore like traffic and so havent seen the DCT issues .

Also, have a Nexon AMT and I can't talk enough about this beauty. If you get used to the slight jerky nature of AMT. This car is a perfect car to drive in the city and on the highways, it's even better than our king. It's like a diesel locomotive which just keeps pulling even after high speeds. It's the best considering the cost and the VFM factor is just amazing.

Last edited by Sheel : 21st March 2020 at 10:23. Reason: #11.
gautamkhadse is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 11:44   #18

Quote:
Hi dhruvky94,
Since you are looking for a Petrol+Auto transmission, as your first car,
Why not checkout the BS6 Vitara Brezza as well?

All the best for your car hunt.
Yes I have received a lot of good recommendations regarding Brezza. Will check it out. Just a question however, how is the build quality of Brezza? I am afraid of similar issues like Baleno here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Choice between MT & AT should be fairly simple considering you are in Bangalore. AT all the way in 2020. A friend got creta manual last year for similar budget as mine(~11L). Within a year he is already repenting & now often travels with me. I chose the Jazz CVT over MTs for the convenience it offers in our b2b traffic. Atleast till all the metro work is over(read atleast another 4-5 years) , traffic isn't gonna improve for sure.
Yes Jazz was one of my top considerations before they discontinued it! i20 is also not available :( How is i10 NIOS for an option though ?

Quote:
Brezza auto is a 4 speed one. Isn't that a downer? Won't this affect the fuel consumption figures badly? 'Ive not driven it but would like to hear fellow bhpians comments on this.

No doubt, Maruti's service and reliability can be banked upon.
I have also heard the petrol engine is not that good. Test drive will answer this though

Quote:
I know , this is something that no one has suggested but if you're ready to consider Suzuki 4 speed AT boxes, you should also try out the XL6 AT . The Ertiga, when I owned it, was surprisingly nimble. It was easier to drive compared to a punto I had back then. It's very nimble and has amazing functionality. Just try it out for the heck of it when you're at the next showroom....
Yeah I am just avoiding DCT cars for now. How it Tata dealership exp though? Definitely interested in Nexon now!

Guys thanks for all the amazing inputs. I would also appreciate some reviews/feedbacks regarding i10 NIOS AMT Asta variant. This is my top consideration right now till I test drives the new vehicles suggested here.

Last edited by moralfibre : 21st March 2020 at 10:24. Reason: Trimming quoted posts.
Old 16th March 2020, 12:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Either on the Ertiga review thread or on the XL6's review thread, a fellow member had uploaded a graph that showed the gear ratios of the manual gearboxes of Suzuki versus the "antiquated" 4 speed automatic gearbox. Surprisingly, the 4th cog in the 4 speed automatic has taller gearing than the 5th gear in the manual - or, if my memory served me wrong - they are at least on par with each other.

The lesser number of gears though on the 4 speed AT means that it will hunt for gears more often in regular driving conditions. In city conditions, its fuel efficiency will be way worse than the manual counterpart's. But on the highway, it is so good. (I have a used A Star Automatic with the same 4 speed by the way. I like the lack of engine braking out on open roads; you can take your foot off the accelerator and it'll keep coasting with minimal drop in speeds. It does exceedingly well on the highway.)
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 12:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post
Currently I am confused between i10, Baleno and Amaze.
Out of the three, my pick would be Amaze CVT. Reasons:
Honda's integration of CVT is good, easy to drive in city, upshifts are smooth and has decent fuel efficiency. You get a decent boot space for outstation trips. Second choice would be Baleno CVT. I would like to stay away from any AMT, after having experienced Tiago. Just can't get used to it's jerkiness.
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 12:28   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Out of the three, my pick would be Amaze CVT. Reasons:
Honda's integration of CVT is good, easy to drive in city, upshifts are smooth and has decent fuel efficiency. You get a decent boot space for outstation trips. Second choice would be Baleno CVT. I would like to stay away from any AMT, after having experienced Tiago. Just can't get used to it's jerkiness.
Is AMT really that bad? Because I test drove the vehicle and felt the jerk only from 1st to 2nd. Also Amaze is lacking a lot of features when compared to i10 like DRL, projector headlamps, height adjustable seat, 8in Touch screen etc. It is also 1.5 Lakh more expensive!
Old 16th March 2020, 12:42   #22
Team-BHP Support

We were in a similar dilemma in October 2019 in our immediate family, although the budget was 9 Lakh OTR in Delhi.

We bought a Honda Amaze CVT and are very very happy with the decision. I firmly believe it was the most VFM car available at that time, and I don't think that things have changed drastically.

Since you have a higher budget, you can consider Ecosport etc but if I were to buy again, I'd buy Amaze again.

Last edited by Eddy : 16th March 2020 at 12:44.
Eddy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 12:56   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Brezza auto is a 4 speed one. Isn't that a downer? Won't this affect the fuel consumption figures badly?
In terms of performance,
Yes, the 4 speed AT is no match for better performers like Nexon, Venue, EcoSport.
And transmission wise Venue DCT and EcoSport 6AT are any day better.
(But the OP was not interested in either of them as per his earlier comments, hence the suggestion of Brezza)

Fuel efficiency wise, I feel it's inline with other competitors.
It has an ARAI figure of 18.76kmpl for AT.
Obviously, the real time and city milage will be completely different, but expectation is, being Maruti it won't be too low. (I might be wrong though, other experienced people can answer this better)

Quote:
Yes I have received a lot of good recommendations regarding Brezza. Will check it out. Just a question however, how is the build quality of Brezza? I am afraid of similar issues like Baleno here.
The official Team-BHP review of 1.5 Brezza petrol is out now, at the right time. All the details are penned down wonderfully by CrazyDriver.
Please go through this thread.It will answer most of your questions for sure.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...al-review.html (2020 Maruti Vitara Brezza Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review)

Quote:
Yes Jazz was one of my top considerations before they discontinued it! i20 is also not available :( How is i10 NIOS for an option though ?
Yes, Jazz was a better option for you interms of CVT, space, reliability.

Quote:
I have also heard the petrol engine is not that good. Test drive will answer this though
You never know what car will satisfy you, unless you do multiple test drives. So suggest you to test drive all cars in your list multiple times before coming to a conclusion.
Please go through the reviews in Team-BHP as well, for better idea.

Quote:
Yeah I am just avoiding DCT cars for now. How it Tata dealership exp though? Definitely interested in Nexon now!
If you are open to AMTs and TATA, Nexon is also a good option.
And if by any chance you are trying to reconsider EcoSport, then its a worthy option as well, since you get a powerful 1.5 litre 6AT and with best safety features.
(Might have to increase your budget though)
DLC5005 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 13:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also love Honda City but the auto variant is out of my budget. Is it really bad to drive with a manual in city traffic? Will really appreciate this forum's inputs in helping me decide the car.
The Honda City manual falls plum within your budget, and you should pick it up eyes closed. I have been driving one for the past year and 10,000 kms and the experience has been nothing short of fantastic. And no - it is certainly not difficult to drive this in traffic. The clutch is light and has short travel, and the gearbox is a nice and snappy one - perfect ingredients for a good manual experience. The current automatics in this price range just do not impress me, and the DCTs have their own share of issues with respect to reliability and longevity. You should savour the experience of a manual transmission coupled with a great engine today, because this will be a dying breed in the years to come.

Do a couple of test drives of the Honda City manual and you will realize that it is in a different league as compared to the Balenos and other hatches that you are also considering. Of course that is obvious given the larger engine displacement and power figures, but it worth stating.

Unless you are completely fixated on an automatic hatchback, I would strongly suggest that you pick up the City. The iVTEC is a different beast altogether, and there are sweet deals to be had on the present gen City given that March 31 is around the corner. I picked mine up exactly this time last year and had got a fabulous deal on the car in Bangalore.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 16th March 2020 at 13:26.
arindambasu13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 13:38   #25
BHPian

@dhruvky94
While you decide among hatchback vs sedan vs SUV : let me state this - from my perspective it absolutely makes no sense in buying a manual car in Bangalore especially when you intend to use it daily commute.

Even after considering all of the automatics come with their own short-comings[jerky shift-AMT, rubber band effect - CVT, reliability - DSG, low fuel economy - Torque Converter] and are not suitable for enthusiastic driving[with probable exception of VW DSG] - I would still suggest go for an Automatic vehicle which fits your budget.
somspaple is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 14:40   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
We were in a similar dilemma in October 2019 in our immediate family, although the budget was 9 Lakh OTR in Delhi.

Since you have a higher budget, you can consider Ecosport etc but if I were to buy again, I'd buy Amaze again.
Cool! Seeing a lot of positives for Amaze. Will schedule another test drive for the same. How is the infotainment system though? Does it lag?

Quote:
In terms of performance,
Yes, the 4 speed AT is no match for better performers like Nexon, Venue, EcoSport.
And transmission wise Venue DCT and EcoSport 6AT are any day better.
(But the OP was not interested in either of them as per his earlier comments, hence the suggestion of Brezza)

If you are open to AMTs and TATA, Nexon is also a good option.
And if by any chance you are trying to reconsider EcoSport, then its a worthy option as well, since you get a powerful 1.5 litre 6AT and with best safety features.
(Might have to increase your budget though)

Will go through the threads that have been shared, thanks! Will schedule Nexon drive too once this Coronovirus thing gets settled down

I have heard ecosport looks very dated from inside and the dashboard is very bad that's why not considered it yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
The Honda City manual falls plum within your budget, and you should pick it up eyes closed. I have been driving one for the past year and 10,000 kms and the experience has been nothing short of fantastic. And no - it is certainly not difficult to drive this in traffic. The clutch is light and has short travel, and the gearbox is a nice and snappy one - perfect ingredients for a good manual experience. The current automatics in this price range just do not impress me, and the DCTs have their own share of issues with respect to reliability and longevity. You should savour the experience of a manual transmission coupled with a great engine today, because this will be a dying breed in the years to come.

Do a couple of test drives of the Honda City manual and you will realize that it is in a different league as compared to the Balenos and other hatches that you are also considering. Of course that is obvious given the larger engine displacement and power figures, but it worth stating.

Unless you are completely fixated on an automatic hatchback, I would strongly suggest that you pick up the City. The iVTEC is a different beast altogether, and there are sweet deals to be had on the present gen City given that March 31 is around the corner. I picked mine up exactly this time last year and had got a fabulous deal on the car in Bangalore.
Yeah but lot of people are suggesting me against manuals. I also wanted to experience manuals at least once if my life :P

Will schedule another drive in city conditions... the issue is even if I feel comfortable in the city manual drive, not sure if I will sustain it like other people have said... that's why not sure about manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
@dhruvky94
While you decide among hatchback vs sedan vs SUV : let me state this - from my perspective it absolutely makes no sense in buying a manual car in Bangalore especially when you intend to use it daily commute.

Even after considering all of the automatics come with their own short-comings[jerky shift-AMT, rubber band effect - CVT, reliability - DSG, low fuel economy - Torque Converter] and are not suitable for enthusiastic driving[with probable exception of VW DSG] - I would still suggest go for an Automatic vehicle which fits your budget.
Thanks for the suggestions... If only venue came with CVT, I would have booked it till now

Last edited by moralfibre : 21st March 2020 at 10:25. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
Old 16th March 2020, 15:08   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How is the infotainment system though? Does it lag?
We got the S version, so it is not the touchscreen variant.
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 16:19   #28

Hey all,

So I decided to take a look into Honda Amaze after so many recommendations but was unable to find any good dealership in Bangalore. Most dealerships of Honda have bad reviews with people complaining about servicing and deliveries. Any good recommendations?
Old 16th March 2020, 16:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah but lot of people are suggesting me against manuals. I also wanted to experience manuals at least once if my life :P

Will schedule another drive in city conditions... the issue is even if I feel comfortable in the city manual drive, not sure if I will sustain it like other people have said... that's why not sure about manuals
In my humble opinion (based on 11 years of MT driving in Bangalore), nobody should be buying a brand new MT car in 2020, especially if it is going to be the only car in the household and would be used primarily for commuting to office.

Still, if you are considering buying a MT car, I have the following suggestions for you:
1. Try renting a MT car and try driving it for at least 1 hour in congested areas
2. If you still feel like buying a MT car, please consider buying a pre-owned car

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 16:55   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
In my humble opinion (based on 11 years of MT driving in Bangalore), nobody should be buying a brand new MT car in 2020, especially if it is going to be the only car in the household and would be used primarily for commuting to office.

Still, if you are considering buying a MT car, I have the following suggestions for you:
1. Try renting a MT car and try driving it for at least 1 hour in congested areas
2. If you still feel like buying a MT car, please consider buying a pre-owned car

Rohan

That's a great advice. I have rented cars and driven for 1 hr stretches in Bangalore traffic (that too near Phoenix mall ) and indeed felt very tired! But I thought that was more of an issue of the vehicle being in bad condition: Stiff clutch, bad gear box

Hey All,

My Hyundai dealer has been persistently telling me that the DCT issue in BS6 models have been fixed completely. Does anyone know if that is the case? He is quite insistent! I am not sure how can it be since DCT will have issues given how it is built.

Last edited by vb-san : 16th March 2020 at 19:07. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use Edit or Multi-quote options if posting back-to-back

Most Viewed