Team-BHP > What Car?


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2020, 00:52   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hyd - Blr
Posts: 32
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post
My Hyundai dealer has been persistently telling me that the DCT issue in BS6 models have been fixed completely. Does anyone know if that is the case? He is quite insistent! I am not sure how can it be since DCT will have issues given how it is built.
DCTs have proven to be more prone to problems than other automatics. Would recommend you avoid them.

You should check out the Nexon AMT with its new 1.2 turbo petrol. One of the safest options in your budget, and the new facelift is much more accomplished and better looking too. While the AMT won't be as good as a conventional AT, it is still a boon in Bangalore traffic. And it rides and drives well too.

If you're looking for more reliability, the Brezza AT is a good option, but I'd also consider the Hyundai Aura AMT and Ciaz AT. Hyundai's AMTs are the best in the market right now, and the Ciaz is the most spacious AT you can get close to your budget.
kranti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 04:55   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: KA03
Posts: 416
Thanked: 1,163 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

I was lurking here as I didn't have anything to contribute. But I see people recommending DCT/DSG and AMT automatics - I am sure they are not good for bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore. I don't have any first hand experience with these; do go to the appropriate threads on the AMT and DCT /DSG you've been recommended and do your due diligence. You can also ask for information on the performance of the AMT /DCT /DSG in bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore in those threads. I would also ask for wider opinions on the CVT.

TC gets a reluctant OK from me - no problems with my ASTAR AT so far in bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore but I wish it had a smarter TCU like the newer TC in the Mahindra XUV that automatically shifts to neutral when stopped at signals. Good luck!
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 08:14   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
landcruiser123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Campbell
Posts: 1,682
Thanked: 2,669 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post
That's a great advice. I have rented cars ...But I thought that was more of an issue of the vehicle being in bad condition: Stiff clutch, bad gear box
Did I read that you're a new driver? I'd strictly advise against an MT in Bangalore traffic if you're commuting in the car. An MT for a weekend ride would still be good option.
Quote:
telling me that the DCT issue in BS6 models have been fixed completely. Does anyone know if that is the case? ....
Hyundai might have issued a SW update fix for the cars, but I personally wouldn't put money on a DCT gearbox. I'd advice you to stick with CVT or TC AT. Amaze is a very good choice. Also consider a pre-owned City (read my post above.) If you want the City, buy a well maintained used VX/ZX AT.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 17th March 2020 at 08:15.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 11:46   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,824
Thanked: 4,113 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Automatics are a huge factor apart from cabs, that contribute to growing traffic IMO. An automatic will often be in the wrong gear for example, when moving off a traffic signal, slowing down because of a rough patch of road, and then moving ahead again. With an automatic, there will be a lag in the right amount of drive out of this situation. This will lead to additional traffic due to compounding reaction times of the cars behind the automatic. I would say go for a manual with a light and easy to feel clutch (most petrol cars). If not please go for an automatic with a torque converter as that will be less glitchy in such situations than a twin clutch automatic.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 12:18   #35
Team-BHP Support
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 5,627
Thanked: 6,983 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Automatics are a huge factor apart from cabs, that contribute to growing traffic IMO. An automatic will often be in the wrong gear for example, when moving off a traffic signal, slowing down because of a rough patch of road, and then moving ahead again. With an automatic, there will be a lag in the right amount of drive out of this situation. This will lead to additional traffic due to compounding reaction times of the cars behind the automatic.
Quite interesting. In my experience, never seen such a situation. Here in Singapore the probability of seeing an MT car is as good as seeing snow, and never seen traffic delays due to this reason. Same is the case for many other countries were MT is a rarity (e.g. US). In my opinion, take off in a wrong gear (in a MT car) and stalling is more of a possibility than the scenario mentioned above.
vb-san is offline  
Old 17th March 2020, 12:21   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,824
Thanked: 4,113 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Quite interesting. In my experience, never seen such a situation. Here in Singapore the probability of seeing an MT car is as good as seeing snow, and never seen traffic delays due to this reason. Same is the case for many other countries were MT is a rarity (e.g. US). In my opinion, take off in a wrong gear (in a MT car) and stalling is more of a possibility than the scenario mentioned above.
Singapore and USA are much different. The difference being largely predictable flow of traffic. You will not find a bus stop before and after a flyover, or a pothole after a traffic signal in these countries. The fact of the matter is, in such tough road situations as they are in India, it is much easier to maintain a certain fixed distance plus or minus few inches, to the car in front, when in a manual, than when in an automatic.

For example, if there is a bad patch of road right after a traffic signal, you set off in an automatic from the lights, decrease throttle input, the gearbox shifts into a higher gear assuming you want to cruise. You then pass the obstruction and you want drive but at the same time you don't want to be kicked back into your seat so you don't mash the pedal to the floor. The automatic then takes a while to skip down to the correct gear. Now assume there to be an automatic behind this car. The driver of that automatic can only request drive after the obstruction, after the automatic ahead, has begun accelerating appropriately. I personally witness such situations daily here in India. Organized and well planned countries like USA and Singapore simply cannot be compared.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 17th March 2020 at 12:35.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 12:39   #37
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 23
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranti View Post
DCTs have proven to be more prone to problems than other automatics. Would recommend you avoid them.

You should check out the Nexon AMT with its new 1.2 turbo petrol. One of the safest options in your budget, and the new facelift is much more accomplished and better looking too. While the AMT won't be as good as a conventional AT, it is still a boon in Bangalore traffic. And it rides and drives well too.

If you're looking for more reliability, the Brezza AT is a good option, but I'd also consider the Hyundai Aura AMT and Ciaz AT. Hyundai's AMTs are the best in the market right now, and the Ciaz is the most spacious AT you can get close to your budget.
Yes, that is what I have been reading about. Will avoid DCT completely! I am liking Nexon more and more after people recommended it here. Also considering Brezza 2020 facelift now. How is the Ciaz build quality? Any issues like Thin metal sheet like in Baleno?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I was lurking here as I didn't have anything to contribute. But I see people recommending DCT/DSG and AMT automatics - I am sure they are not good for bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore. I don't have any first hand experience with these; do go to the appropriate threads on the AMT and DCT /DSG you've been recommended and do your due diligence. You can also ask for information on the performance of the AMT /DCT /DSG in bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore in those threads. I would also ask for wider opinions on the CVT.

TC gets a reluctant OK from me - no problems with my ASTAR AT so far in bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore but I wish it had a smarter TCU like the newer TC in the Mahindra XUV that automatically shifts to neutral when stopped at signals. Good luck!
I am completely avoiding DCT now. For AMT, I did read the threads and I found people saying it's jerky but I didn't feel Jerkiness at all in i10 NIOS. I also read that Hyundai AMTs are highly refined so maybe that is the reason. Exploring other options now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Did I read that you're a new driver? I'd strictly advise against an MT in Bangalore traffic if you're commuting in the car. An MT for a weekend ride would still be good option.

Hyundai might have issued a SW update fix for the cars, but I personally wouldn't put money on a DCT gearbox. I'd advice you to stick with CVT or TC AT. Amaze is a very good choice. Also consider a pre-owned City (read my post above.) If you want the City, buy a well maintained used VX/ZX AT.
Yes, I am a new driver
Added these cars to my consideration now: Amaze CVT, Nexon AT and Brezza AT. Removed Baleno CVT and Venue DCT completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Automatics are a huge factor apart from cabs, that contribute to growing traffic IMO. An automatic will often be in the wrong gear for example, when moving off a traffic signal, slowing down because of a rough patch of road, and then moving ahead again. With an automatic, there will be a lag in the right amount of drive out of this situation. This will lead to additional traffic due to compounding reaction times of the cars behind the automatic. I would say go for a manual with a light and easy to feel clutch (most petrol cars). If not please go for an automatic with a torque converter as that will be less glitchy in such situations than a twin clutch automatic.
Hmmm... When I was learning to drive in City traffic, I was the number 1 culprit in increasing traffic since I was stalling the car quite frequently.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th March 2020 at 12:51. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts. Thanks.
dhruvky94 is offline  
Old 17th March 2020, 12:58   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,824
Thanked: 4,113 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post
Hmmm... When I was learning to drive in City traffic, I was the number 1 culprit in increasing traffic since I was stalling the car quite frequently.
If you are a new driver then please avoid spending such big bucks on a car just for apple car play and an automatic gearbox. Buy a second-hand top end manual A-star, fit a fancy touchscreen head unit to connect with your phone and simply hone your skills before buying an automatic with a larger footprint on the road. You will appreciate the art of driving and then when the time is right you will be able to choose the right car yourself. Because you will know exactly what you want.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 17th March 2020 at 13:05.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 13:07   #39
Distinguished - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,956
Thanked: 6,382 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post
I am completely avoiding DCT now. For AMT, I did read the threads and I found people saying it's jerky but I didn't feel Jerkiness at all in i10 NIOS. I also read that Hyundai AMTs are highly refined so maybe that is the reason. Exploring other options now.
Check out the Tiago AMT as well.

A few years back, when I had tried the Celerio AMT, the gearbox felt awful, and I had developed a great aversion to anything AMT.

Recently, I test drove Tiago AMT for a friend (also a first timer) and found it to be well tuned. I did not drive the i10 NIOS for a comparison (TD car was not available on that particular day). The advantage of Tiago is that it is has a 4-start NCAP rating and can be very safe on the highways. The interiors felt good and the Harmon Kordan music system with CarPlay and Android Auto was quite good. It also had reverse camera.

Also, the smaller footprint of the Tiago compared to Nexon will make it easier to drive in city.

I would highly recommend you to go with an automatic. You will not regret this decision, given the increasing traffic these days.

You could also wait for the new Polo GT TSi (if you have already considered and dropped it from the list for some reason, then ignore this). The new generation with the 1.0TSi engine and TC should be quite reliable compared to the DSG.

PS: If this is your first car purchase, I will suggest you keep away from used cars. You need to have lot of experience in vetting out a used car. There is a high possibility of getting stuck with a problematic car which can totally spoil your car ownership experience.

Last edited by vb-san : 17th March 2020 at 13:23. Reason: Back to back posts merged :)
graaja is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 13:11   #40
Team-BHP Support
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 5,627
Thanked: 6,983 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
For example, if there is a bad patch of road right after a traffic signal, you set off in an automatic from the lights, decrease throttle input, the gearbox shifts into a higher gear assuming you want to cruise. You then pass the obstruction and you want drive but at the same time you don't want to be kicked back into your seat so you don't mash the pedal to the floor. The automatic then takes a while to skip down to the correct gear. Now assume there to be an automatic behind this car.
Sounds a bit too theoretical. Never had the said issue of wrong gear, slowing down etc. in India as well, whether it is a TC or DSG/DCT (not sure how it is with those AMTs though). And have seen so many instances of stalled cars due to take off in a wrong gear, and related traffic delays.

Last edited by vb-san : 17th March 2020 at 13:21.
vb-san is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 13:38   #41
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 23
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If you are a new driver then please avoid spending such big bucks on a car just for apple car play and an automatic gearbox. Buy a second-hand top end manual A-star, fit a fancy touchscreen head unit to connect with your phone and simply hone your skills before buying an automatic with a larger footprint on the road. You will appreciate the art of driving and then when the time is right you will be able to choose the right car yourself. Because you will know exactly what you want.
I was checking out used cars only initially. Most of the cars I tried (through company contacts) were terrible... either improver servicing, dents/scratches, missing safety features etc. I was also advised by my friends to take an experienced mechanic to check the engine etc but did not find any. I finally gave up since I thought it was not worth all that hassle and wasted time and decided to switch to new car. What I did do was rent a lot of cars from Drivezy and stuff and drive for 1 hr stretches in traffic to get better handle on cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Check out the Tiago AMT as well.

A few years back, when I had tried the Celerio AMT, the gearbox felt awful, and I had developed a great aversion to anything AMT.

Recently, I test drove Tiago AMT for a friend (also a first timer) and found it to be well tuned. I did not drive the i10 NIOS for a comparison (TD car was not available on that particular day). The advantage of Tiago is that it is has a 4-start NCAP rating and can be very safe on the highways. The interiors felt good and the Harmon Kordan music system with CarPlay and Android Auto was quite good. It also had reverse camera.

Also, the smaller footprint of the Tiago compared to Nexon will make it easier to drive in city.

I would highly recommend you to go with an automatic. You will not regret this decision, given the increasing traffic these days.

You could also wait for the new Polo GT TSi (if you have already considered and dropped it from the list for some reason, then ignore this). The new generation with the 1.0TSi engine and TC should be quite reliable compared to the DSG.

PS: If this is your first car purchase, I will suggest you keep away from used cars. You need to have lot of experience in vetting out a used car. There is a high possibility of getting stuck with a problematic car which can totally spoil your car ownership experience.
Will have a look at Tiago too although will probably go with i10 compared to that because overall build quality is better. I agree with the used car point 100%.

Hey All,

Thanks for the amazing responses. So now, I have made some changes in my vehicle shortlist:
  • Baleno Petrol CVT Alpha - Removed
  • Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT Petrol 1.0 TURBO - Removed
  • Honda Amaze CVT Petrol
  • Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS AMT Asta Petrol
  • Honda City 1.5 Petrol Manual - Removed
  • MS Brezza AT
  • Tata Nexon AT (Maybe)
  • Ciaz AT

I am also looking at BS6 CVT Duster as that fits my use case nicely. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Zappo : 17th March 2020 at 14:01. Reason: Please avoid making back to back posts. Use multiquote. In the first 30 minutes you can edit your own post to add further. Both back to back posts merged.
dhruvky94 is offline  
Old 17th March 2020, 14:27   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vizag
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 2,158 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Automatics are a huge factor apart from cabs, that contribute to growing traffic IMO. An automatic will often be in the wrong gear for example, when moving off a traffic signal, slowing down because of a rough patch of road, and then moving ahead again. With an automatic, there will be a lag in the right amount of drive out of this situation. This will lead to additional traffic due to compounding reaction times of the cars behind the automatic. I would say go for a manual with a light and easy to feel clutch (most petrol cars). If not please go for an automatic with a torque converter as that will be less glitchy in such situations than a twin clutch automatic.
You seem to have almost written off automatics, Sir. None of the automatics I drove (and I drove a varied mix of them, budget to high-end) exhibited the trait you described. On the other hand, it's the manuals driven by some senior citizens/ new learners that give me plenty of grief. They come off the clutch too fast and stall. That's not the end of it. You should see the restart procedure. Instead of stepping on the clutch and firing the engine, they shift to neutral, start the engine , fumble with the stick and engage gear ( sometime they go to 3rd and stall again ) and then inch forward. Trust me it takes them longer to do this than the time it takes me to type this. And, if there is even a small gradient and car rolls forward or backward, more confusion and more delay.

Whether we like it or not, automatics are here to stay. In fact, it is extremely rare these days to be able to buy a manual car above Rs.50 lakhs. In my family and circle, I suggest everyone to buy an automatic. Many have and they are happy they listened to me.
pgsagar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 16:32   #43
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 179
Thanked: 373 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post
Will have a look at Tiago too although will probably go with i10 compared to that because overall build quality is better. I agree with the used car point 100%.

I am also looking at BS6 CVT Duster as that fits my use case nicely. What do you guys think?
How are you saying that the i10 build quality is better? The Tiago has achieved a 4 star GNCAP rating. For a small car, it's a pretty good rating and highlights the build quality of the Tata. Of course, I haven't seen an i10 nios personally so I can't comment on that and I understand that it hasn't been tested yet either.

To your point of the duster, do take a test drive and think about it, no harm. Don't know how it will fare with the petrol engine given that many here rave about the Diesel engine and the ride quality. Why not wait for the Triber auto too?
nikhilthegunner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 17:19   #44
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 23
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
How are you saying that the i10 build quality is better? The Tiago has achieved a 4 star GNCAP rating. For a small car, it's a pretty good rating and highlights the build quality of the Tata. Of course, I haven't seen an i10 nios personally so I can't comment on that and I understand that it hasn't been tested yet either.
Well I am saying this purely on the basis of reading reviews, praising i10 NIOS overall build quality (not just safety standards) to be better than the segment. This includes interior dashboard quality, seats etc. Haven't read about Tiago build quality yet so I shouldn't be saying it so confidently. Will try Tiago first and then update the same here.

Quote:
To your point of the duster, do take a test drive and think about it, no harm. Don't know how it will fare with the petrol engine given that many here rave about the Diesel engine and the ride quality. Why not wait for the Triber auto too?
Will try Duster Petrol and Ford Ecosport AT too. Any idea when Triber Auto is coming?
dhruvky94 is offline  
Old 17th March 2020, 19:17   #45
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post
I am also looking at BS6 CVT Duster as that fits my use case nicely. What do you guys think?
Hi Druv,
As per my understanding, no CVT option is available for the Duster BS6 petrol as of now. Only 3 variants of 1.5 manual petrol are available currently.

They might bring back the CVT at a later stage.
(Correct me if I am wrong)

(Bellow pic is extracted from Renault official website)
My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs-screenshot_20200317190222027_com.android.chrome.png

Last edited by DLC5005 : 17th March 2020 at 19:19. Reason: Added
DLC5005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks