Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Hyundai Venue 98 18.08%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 29 5.35%
Mahindra XUV300 62 11.44%
Tata Nexon 137 25.28%
Ford EcoSport 199 36.72%
Honda WR-V 8 1.48%
Other (please specify in your post) 9 1.66%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2020, 13:38   #76
BHPian

Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

@dhruvky94
While you decide among hatchback vs sedan vs SUV : let me state this - from my perspective it absolutely makes no sense in buying a manual car in Bangalore especially when you intend to use it daily commute.

Even after considering all of the automatics come with their own short-comings[jerky shift-AMT, rubber band effect - CVT, reliability - DSG, low fuel economy - Torque Converter] and are not suitable for enthusiastic driving[with probable exception of VW DSG] - I would still suggest go for an Automatic vehicle which fits your budget.
somspaple is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 14:40   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
We were in a similar dilemma in October 2019 in our immediate family, although the budget was 9 Lakh OTR in Delhi.

Since you have a higher budget, you can consider Ecosport etc but if I were to buy again, I'd buy Amaze again.
Cool! Seeing a lot of positives for Amaze. Will schedule another test drive for the same. How is the infotainment system though? Does it lag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC5005 View Post
In terms of performance,
Yes, the 4 speed AT is no match for better performers like Nexon, Venue, EcoSport.
And transmission wise Venue DCT and EcoSport 6AT are any day better.
(But the OP was not interested in either of them as per his earlier comments, hence the suggestion of Brezza)

If you are open to AMTs and TATA, Nexon is also a good option.
And if by any chance you are trying to reconsider EcoSport, then its a worthy option as well, since you get a powerful 1.5 litre 6AT and with best safety features.
(Might have to increase your budget though)

Will go through the threads that have been shared, thanks! Will schedule Nexon drive too once this Coronovirus thing gets settled down

I have heard ecosport looks very dated from inside and the dashboard is very bad that's why not considered it yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
The Honda City manual falls plum within your budget, and you should pick it up eyes closed. I have been driving one for the past year and 10,000 kms and the experience has been nothing short of fantastic. And no - it is certainly not difficult to drive this in traffic. The clutch is light and has short travel, and the gearbox is a nice and snappy one - perfect ingredients for a good manual experience. The current automatics in this price range just do not impress me, and the DCTs have their own share of issues with respect to reliability and longevity. You should savour the experience of a manual transmission coupled with a great engine today, because this will be a dying breed in the years to come.

Do a couple of test drives of the Honda City manual and you will realize that it is in a different league as compared to the Balenos and other hatches that you are also considering. Of course that is obvious given the larger engine displacement and power figures, but it worth stating.

Unless you are completely fixated on an automatic hatchback, I would strongly suggest that you pick up the City. The iVTEC is a different beast altogether, and there are sweet deals to be had on the present gen City given that March 31 is around the corner. I picked mine up exactly this time last year and had got a fabulous deal on the car in Bangalore.
Yeah but lot of people are suggesting me against manuals. I also wanted to experience manuals at least once if my life :P

Will schedule another drive in city conditions... the issue is even if I feel comfortable in the city manual drive, not sure if I will sustain it like other people have said... that's why not sure about manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
@dhruvky94
While you decide among hatchback vs sedan vs SUV : let me state this - from my perspective it absolutely makes no sense in buying a manual car in Bangalore especially when you intend to use it daily commute.

Even after considering all of the automatics come with their own short-comings[jerky shift-AMT, rubber band effect - CVT, reliability - DSG, low fuel economy - Torque Converter] and are not suitable for enthusiastic driving[with probable exception of VW DSG] - I would still suggest go for an Automatic vehicle which fits your budget.
Thanks for the suggestions... If only venue came with CVT, I would have booked it till now

Last edited by moralfibre : 21st March 2020 at 10:25. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
Old 16th March 2020, 15:08   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post
How is the infotainment system though? Does it lag?
We got the S version, so it is not the touchscreen variant.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 16:19   #79
BHPian

Hey all,

So I decided to take a look into Honda Amaze after so many recommendations but was unable to find any good dealership in Bangalore. Most dealerships of Honda have bad reviews with people complaining about servicing and deliveries. Any good recommendations?
Old 16th March 2020, 16:41   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah but lot of people are suggesting me against manuals. I also wanted to experience manuals at least once if my life :P

Will schedule another drive in city conditions... the issue is even if I feel comfortable in the city manual drive, not sure if I will sustain it like other people have said... that's why not sure about manuals
In my humble opinion (based on 11 years of MT driving in Bangalore), nobody should be buying a brand new MT car in 2020, especially if it is going to be the only car in the household and would be used primarily for commuting to office.

Still, if you are considering buying a MT car, I have the following suggestions for you:
1. Try renting a MT car and try driving it for at least 1 hour in congested areas
2. If you still feel like buying a MT car, please consider buying a pre-owned car

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 16:55   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
In my humble opinion (based on 11 years of MT driving in Bangalore), nobody should be buying a brand new MT car in 2020, especially if it is going to be the only car in the household and would be used primarily for commuting to office.

Still, if you are considering buying a MT car, I have the following suggestions for you:
1. Try renting a MT car and try driving it for at least 1 hour in congested areas
2. If you still feel like buying a MT car, please consider buying a pre-owned car

Rohan

That's a great advice. I have rented cars and driven for 1 hr stretches in Bangalore traffic (that too near Phoenix mall ) and indeed felt very tired! But I thought that was more of an issue of the vehicle being in bad condition: Stiff clutch, bad gear box

Hey All,

My Hyundai dealer has been persistently telling me that the DCT issue in BS6 models have been fixed completely. Does anyone know if that is the case? He is quite insistent! I am not sure how can it be since DCT will have issues given how it is built.

Last edited by vb-saan : 16th March 2020 at 19:07. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use Edit or Multi-quote options if posting back-to-back
Old 16th March 2020, 17:02   #82
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue vs the competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsratta View Post
Hi Bhpians and Venue DCT owners, I need your advice, regarding the purchase of a vehicle by my brother, Venue is one of the short listed vehicles, which also include 2020 Vitara Brezza and Ford EcoSport. The car will be driven mostly in city, that is Delhi and Gurgaon. So automatic is a must. As it will be mostly be driven in bumper to bumper peak traffic, we are a bit worried about the overheating issues of the Venue DCT. As the temperature here may cross 45 degrees centigrade, that may worsen the problem. What are your experiences regarding this. My brother is not a driving enthusiast, and the car will be driven by his wife most of the time, that is why we are more inclined towards Vitara Brezza, that has a tried and tested Torque converter. Ford EcoSport is a good car, but we are not sure about the future of the Ford in India. The current generation also misses the Apple car play and Android auto. AMT’s are ruled out, so no Nexon or XUV300.
I am also looking at the same information!
Old 16th March 2020, 18:00   #83
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue vs the competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsratta View Post
...we are a bit worried about the overheating issues of the Venue DCT. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Similar to the above post, will the DCT in the Venue have reliability problems?...
Quote:
I am also looking at the same information!
Hi Guys,

I have a Venue DCT SX+. have driven 2.5k KMs so far in and around Bangalore. Haven't yet faced the DCT heating issue. In fact, haven't faced any issue so far. The car is a charm and fab to drive.
That said, everyone's driving habits differ. I'd suggest you rent the car from one of the renting websites/ agencies and drive the car on your preferred route for a day, if not more. You'll get an exact idea
ValarMorghulis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 00:52   #84
BHPian

Quote:
My Hyundai dealer has been persistently telling me that the DCT issue in BS6 models have been fixed completely. Does anyone know if that is the case? He is quite insistent! I am not sure how can it be since DCT will have issues given how it is built.
DCTs have proven to be more prone to problems than other automatics. Would recommend you avoid them.

You should check out the Nexon AMT with its new 1.2 turbo petrol. One of the safest options in your budget, and the new facelift is much more accomplished and better looking too. While the AMT won't be as good as a conventional AT, it is still a boon in Bangalore traffic. And it rides and drives well too.

If you're looking for more reliability, the Brezza AT is a good option, but I'd also consider the Hyundai Aura AMT and Ciaz AT. Hyundai's AMTs are the best in the market right now, and the Ciaz is the most spacious AT you can get close to your budget.
kranti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 04:55   #85
BHPian

I was lurking here as I didn't have anything to contribute. But I see people recommending DCT/DSG and AMT automatics - I am sure they are not good for bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore. I don't have any first hand experience with these; do go to the appropriate threads on the AMT and DCT /DSG you've been recommended and do your due diligence. You can also ask for information on the performance of the AMT /DCT /DSG in bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore in those threads. I would also ask for wider opinions on the CVT.

TC gets a reluctant OK from me - no problems with my ASTAR AT so far in bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore but I wish it had a smarter TCU like the newer TC in the Mahindra XUV that automatically shifts to neutral when stopped at signals. Good luck!
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 08:14   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a great advice. I have rented cars ...But I thought that was more of an issue of the vehicle being in bad condition: Stiff clutch, bad gear box
Did I read that you're a new driver? I'd strictly advise against an MT in Bangalore traffic if you're commuting in the car. An MT for a weekend ride would still be good option.
Quote:
telling me that the DCT issue in BS6 models have been fixed completely. Does anyone know if that is the case? ....
Hyundai might have issued a SW update fix for the cars, but I personally wouldn't put money on a DCT gearbox. I'd advice you to stick with CVT or TC AT. Amaze is a very good choice. Also consider a pre-owned City (read my post above.) If you want the City, buy a well maintained used VX/ZX AT.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 17th March 2020 at 08:15.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 11:46   #87
Senior - BHPian

Automatics are a huge factor apart from cabs, that contribute to growing traffic IMO. An automatic will often be in the wrong gear for example, when moving off a traffic signal, slowing down because of a rough patch of road, and then moving ahead again. With an automatic, there will be a lag in the right amount of drive out of this situation. This will lead to additional traffic due to compounding reaction times of the cars behind the automatic. I would say go for a manual with a light and easy to feel clutch (most petrol cars). If not please go for an automatic with a torque converter as that will be less glitchy in such situations than a twin clutch automatic.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 12:18   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Automatics are a huge factor apart from cabs, that contribute to growing traffic IMO. An automatic will often be in the wrong gear for example, when moving off a traffic signal, slowing down because of a rough patch of road, and then moving ahead again. With an automatic, there will be a lag in the right amount of drive out of this situation. This will lead to additional traffic due to compounding reaction times of the cars behind the automatic.
Quite interesting. In my experience, never seen such a situation. Here in Singapore the probability of seeing an MT car is as good as seeing snow, and never seen traffic delays due to this reason. Same is the case for many other countries were MT is a rarity (e.g. US). In my opinion, take off in a wrong gear (in a MT car) and stalling is more of a possibility than the scenario mentioned above.
Old 17th March 2020, 12:21   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Quite interesting. In my experience, never seen such a situation. Here in Singapore the probability of seeing an MT car is as good as seeing snow, and never seen traffic delays due to this reason. Same is the case for many other countries were MT is a rarity (e.g. US). In my opinion, take off in a wrong gear (in a MT car) and stalling is more of a possibility than the scenario mentioned above.
Singapore and USA are much different. The difference being largely predictable flow of traffic. You will not find a bus stop before and after a flyover, or a pothole after a traffic signal in these countries. The fact of the matter is, in such tough road situations as they are in India, it is much easier to maintain a certain fixed distance plus or minus few inches, to the car in front, when in a manual, than when in an automatic.

For example, if there is a bad patch of road right after a traffic signal, you set off in an automatic from the lights, decrease throttle input, the gearbox shifts into a higher gear assuming you want to cruise. You then pass the obstruction and you want drive but at the same time you don't want to be kicked back into your seat so you don't mash the pedal to the floor. The automatic then takes a while to skip down to the correct gear. Now assume there to be an automatic behind this car. The driver of that automatic can only request drive after the obstruction, after the automatic ahead, has begun accelerating appropriately. I personally witness such situations daily here in India. Organized and well planned countries like USA and Singapore simply cannot be compared.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 17th March 2020 at 12:35.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 12:39   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranti View Post
DCTs have proven to be more prone to problems than other automatics. Would recommend you avoid them.

You should check out the Nexon AMT with its new 1.2 turbo petrol. One of the safest options in your budget, and the new facelift is much more accomplished and better looking too. While the AMT won't be as good as a conventional AT, it is still a boon in Bangalore traffic. And it rides and drives well too.

If you're looking for more reliability, the Brezza AT is a good option, but I'd also consider the Hyundai Aura AMT and Ciaz AT. Hyundai's AMTs are the best in the market right now, and the Ciaz is the most spacious AT you can get close to your budget.
Yes, that is what I have been reading about. Will avoid DCT completely! I am liking Nexon more and more after people recommended it here. Also considering Brezza 2020 facelift now. How is the Ciaz build quality? Any issues like Thin metal sheet like in Baleno?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I was lurking here as I didn't have anything to contribute. But I see people recommending DCT/DSG and AMT automatics - I am sure they are not good for bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore. I don't have any first hand experience with these; do go to the appropriate threads on the AMT and DCT /DSG you've been recommended and do your due diligence. You can also ask for information on the performance of the AMT /DCT /DSG in bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore in those threads. I would also ask for wider opinions on the CVT.

TC gets a reluctant OK from me - no problems with my ASTAR AT so far in bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore but I wish it had a smarter TCU like the newer TC in the Mahindra XUV that automatically shifts to neutral when stopped at signals. Good luck!
I am completely avoiding DCT now. For AMT, I did read the threads and I found people saying it's jerky but I didn't feel Jerkiness at all in i10 NIOS. I also read that Hyundai AMTs are highly refined so maybe that is the reason. Exploring other options now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Did I read that you're a new driver? I'd strictly advise against an MT in Bangalore traffic if you're commuting in the car. An MT for a weekend ride would still be good option.

Hyundai might have issued a SW update fix for the cars, but I personally wouldn't put money on a DCT gearbox. I'd advice you to stick with CVT or TC AT. Amaze is a very good choice. Also consider a pre-owned City (read my post above.) If you want the City, buy a well maintained used VX/ZX AT.
Yes, I am a new driver
Added these cars to my consideration now: Amaze CVT, Nexon AT and Brezza AT. Removed Baleno CVT and Venue DCT completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Automatics are a huge factor apart from cabs, that contribute to growing traffic IMO. An automatic will often be in the wrong gear for example, when moving off a traffic signal, slowing down because of a rough patch of road, and then moving ahead again. With an automatic, there will be a lag in the right amount of drive out of this situation. This will lead to additional traffic due to compounding reaction times of the cars behind the automatic. I would say go for a manual with a light and easy to feel clutch (most petrol cars). If not please go for an automatic with a torque converter as that will be less glitchy in such situations than a twin clutch automatic.
Hmmm... When I was learning to drive in City traffic, I was the number 1 culprit in increasing traffic since I was stalling the car quite frequently.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th March 2020 at 12:51. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts. Thanks.

Most Viewed