Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Hyundai Venue 98 18.08%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 29 5.35%
Mahindra XUV300 62 11.44%
Tata Nexon 137 25.28%
Ford EcoSport 199 36.72%
Honda WR-V 8 1.48%
Other (please specify in your post) 9 1.66%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2020, 11:07   #106
BHPian

Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post
I was checking out used cars only initially. Most of the cars I tried (through company contacts) were terrible... either improver servicing, dents/scratches, missing safety features etc. I was also advised by my friends to take an experienced mechanic to check the engine etc but did not find any. I finally gave up since I thought it was not worth all that hassle and wasted time and decided to switch to new car. What I did do was rent a lot of cars from Drivezy and stuff and drive for 1 hr stretches in traffic to get better handle on cars.

Will have a look at Tiago too although will probably go with i10 compared to that because overall build quality is better. I agree with the used car point 100%.

Hey All,

Thanks for the amazing responses. So now, I have made some changes in my vehicle shortlist:
  • Baleno Petrol CVT Alpha - Removed
  • Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT Petrol 1.0 TURBO - Removed
  • Honda Amaze CVT Petrol
  • Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS AMT Asta Petrol
  • Honda City 1.5 Petrol Manual - Removed
  • MS Brezza AT
  • Tata Nexon AT (Maybe)
  • Ciaz AT

I am also looking at BS6 CVT Duster as that fits my use case nicely. What do you guys think?

Would advice you to stay away from the Nexon AMT. Please go through this thread.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...1ud9kMFnrlZrdh

Regarding the build quality of Brezza, it is better than other Maruti cars, as the Brezza and S-cross are built on Suzuki's global Vitara platform, unlike the other cars based on the HEARTECT platform. Both these cars are less susceptible to dents as compared to other Maruti cars.

I have no experience of the Nios and the amaze, but their compact dimensions would mean that they are convenient to park.

Though I have never driven a ciaz, but have extensively experienced it. I can vouch for the refinement, space and comfort that it offers, and it even falls in your budget. It's build quality is also not bad, it's at par with cars like the Honda amaze. But one thing you must keep in mind is that being a new driver, it's bonnet is a little difficult to judge, and the sheer length may make it a bit cumbersome for you to drive in city traffic.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 11:10   #107

Quote:
Hey All,

Thanks for the amazing responses. So now, I have made some changes in my vehicle shortlist:
  • Baleno Petrol CVT Alpha - Removed
  • Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT Petrol 1.0 TURBO - Removed
  • Honda Amaze CVT Petrol
  • Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS AMT Asta Petrol
  • Honda City 1.5 Petrol Manual - Removed
  • MS Brezza AT
  • Tata Nexon AT (Maybe)
  • Ciaz AT

I am also looking at BS6 CVT Duster as that fits my use case nicely. What do you guys think?
Hey, I'm quite a similar user to you. I'm a new driver, 24 y/o, live in Bengaluru and just bought my first car a few months ago.

I went with the Grand i10 nios sportz AMT despite having a budget of 15 lacs. Here are the reasons:
  • Didn't want to go with a Maruti because of the thin sheet metal and the poor quality interiors. Even if you knock on the metal on a swift, the sound is uninspiring.
  • The cars a segment above (compact crossovers like Venue, Ecosport) were like 14 lacs and I didn't feel like they offered enough to justify the cost.
  • Got a good discount on the nios (65k)
  • Hatchbacks are best to drive in Bangalore. Bigger cars are more of a hinderance than a boon in traffic, road presence be damned.
  • The CVTs just feel weird to me in terms of throttle input to acceleration. AMT on the i10 nios on the other hand feels pretty responsive to me.
  • I'd honestly have loved a TC car. But the only TC car around is the Ecosport, which is 14.3 lakhs on road in Bangalore.
  • The polo GT TSI is another excellent consideration, except the interior feels very dated. If Volkswagen will just announce the new polo in India, that would have been the car I would have bought.

Since you are a new driver too, I'd suggest to not spend too much money. Get a cheap, compact car and enjoy it. The next time when you upgrade in a few years you'll know what to buy and more importantly will appreciate it.
darkgamer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 11:24   #108
BHPian

I would say look at the Jazz VX CVT and the Polo GT TSI. A Jazz would undercut your budget by a lac or 2 and still be very roomy and solid. The Polo is even more solid, the old 1.2 was a lot better than the Jazz motor (but I do not know how the 1.0 is), but is a bit more expensive, worse equipped, and despite actually being longer, has worse cabin space. I suggest you drive those two and add them to your list. The Hyundais and Marutis are not nearly as well built.
chieftain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 11:45   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saur95 View Post
With all due respect, I definitely find this to be an exaggeration. Automatic gearboxes are quite smart now and it's more likely that a novice or lazy driver will not bother with downshifting in a manual when traffic slows down or when he/she encounters a pothole..
I'm sorry but perhaps not enough people notice this as I do because I see it happening every single day. Definitely people in manual cars also make many many mistakes, but an experienced driver in a manual is less prone to jam up traffic. At the end of the day, no matter how "smart" automatics become, they are not radar, lidar or camera guided so they are almost always guaranteed not to give you the right amount of drive when left in automatic mode in the city.
Old 21st March 2020, 13:17   #110
BHPian

Hi Dhruv, After going through your thread, I would recommend you to stay away from Manuals because well you stay in Bangalore. I am personally not at all a fan of AMTs and feel they still have that jerkiness in abundance hence would stay away from one. Moreover, being a consumer, I do not feel feasible spending on a low quality tranny built for budget vehicles.

Now, regarding the DCTs. It all depends on your running, if the same is limited and you keep engaging your GB to N Mode when you're on a signal for more than 40 seconds, it will be fine as it gives the Transmission a cool down time though still being your first car, be confident about your purchase.

The Torque Converters and CVTs are your best bet and quite a few options are there in your budget. Again, would recommend avoiding Maruti Suzuki completely due to their sub standard build quality and lazy 4 speed 80s gearbox. I will simply recommend you Amaze.

A Jack of All and master of none, it fits your requirements perfectly. The car is decent looking, the drive is nice with the butter smooth CVT and is fairly well equipped as well. Yes! The quality is not par Hyundai but it's a reliable work horse which will keep you happy. Moreover, being a Honda, maintenance costs will be pretty reasonable. I don't think in a market like Bangalore where thanks to the taxes, there will be a more value for money offering than the Amaze.

Also, it's a good decision to go for a new car as the same would be your primary and only vehicle in your home and you're new in the market hence a new car always makes sense.

I am not sure how much flexible are you with your budget hence not recommending vehicles beyond your mentioned figure. If you could be a little more clear it will be easier for all of us to suggest you something better.
YashD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 14:40   #111
BHPian

If you want good build quality and a fairly safe car, don't look at Maruti or Honda. Their cars aren't build good and aren't safe. Honda makes good cars, but only the expensive ones are good. Even Honda City has sad build quality. CRV, Civic, etc are great!
Other than the Brezza from Maruti stable, i won't put my safety in any car from that company. Remember, this is a company which stopped sending cars to NCAP after the NCAP head challenger Maruti to make safe cars. And Maruti cars aren't cheap either, they're almost neck to neck in terms of pricing with other companies' pricing.

If you plan to use it in bumper to bumper traffic, i suggest you go for a diesel vehicle as it will be easier on pocket. Brezza Diesel AMT seems like a good choice. If you can find one still being sold in the showroom, then it can be registered before 31st March. That should be a good option.
If not, Tata Nexon diesel AMT, Ford Ecosport automatic, i20 CVT, etc are great choices too.
DeepakS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 16:06   #112
BHPian

There's a new(old) automatic polo coming with a torque converter gearbox and a turbocharged engine, torque converters are very reliable and fast as well, my friend who works at VW has driven the car and told me that the gearbox is very quick. Testing has been done as well and there are no issues with the gearbox-engine combo.

Regarding service cost being high, i own a polo myself and the service bill hasn't crossed 8k till now, there's a way to save some bucks during service by opting out of unnecessary stuff.
You have 4 years of standard warranty which you can increase further, nill depp insurance which goes till 7 years. So don't worry about maintenance cost. With service schedule being 1 year or 15000 kilometres, you have to pay only once a year.

With polo you'll get a compact hatch, very good handling, good ergonomics and a very solid build quality. Moreover you 'll get android auto/apple car play with decent sound system. The new polo will be supposedly cheaper as well due to deletion of dsg gearbox.

Only thing which other manufacturers have over polo is network, volkswagen has limited service centers, but you living in banglore won't face this issue.
yesyeswe is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 18:10   #113
BHPian

Hi Dhruv, I have been going through all the postings and really appreciate the eagerness of forum members to suggest you a car that will be useful for your purposes. Now everyone has his/her priorities and those get reflected in the recommendations.

I suggest you to prepare checklist with maximum positive ticks before you finalise your decision.

You are a new driver - choose one which is having a compact size, good alround visibility from cabin, nimble and easy to drive and park.

Need auto transmission - choose CVT or AT, donot go for any other option as those might need higher attention from you.

Family /office car and mostly in city use - compact sedan or hatchback.

Budget 11 lakhs - try to go for top model of whatever brand you choose with usable features.

Interior - since Bangalore is famous for traffic congestion, you need to stay fresh; choose a car with good refreshing interior and comfort creatures. A good sound system will be a bonus!

Engine - choose proven engine with better low end torque for ease of driving in stop and go traffic, that means good torque at lower rpm.

Novelty and peace of mind - Choose a latest model from a reputed brand with good service back-up.

Safety - Options are limited on safety rating, except Tata and Ford.

Fuel efficiency - try to limit your carbon footprint as low as possible. Choose an efficient vehicle.

My 2 cents; if I were you, I would have chosen Grand i10 Nios Sports AMT.
Subby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 20:22   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advenk999 View Post
You can easily opt for the Brezza 4AT auto. Since you drive predominantly in the city, the Vxi auto is just shy of 11L OTR Bangalore and is smooth to drive. AMTs have definitely improved but not the best as they can be jerky depending on your driving style.

Another beautiful option is the Nexon AMT XMA, also around 11L and the 1.2L Revotron is a beast. Now gets bumped up power figures of 118bhp and has good driveability. Interior space and packaging is great in this one.

Venue S DCT is also another option. Retails around 12.5L OTR.

My suggestion is to go for an AT since you are in Bangalore. I've moved to ATs now and man, it is a hell of a difference in this congestion!
Thanks, definitely looking at Brezza and Nexon ATS now. Just waiting to test drive them when covid-19 situation improves a bit.
As for Venue, completely avoiding DCTs due to the heating issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saur95 View Post
While the build, interior quality and untested safety on the Baleno would definitely drive me away, what really grinds my gears is how the steering doesn't return after a U-turn or a sharp turn. This is a problem that I've witnessed on both the Baleno and the Ignis and its something I would never be able to live with. Its absolutely absurd and I've never witnessed it any other vehicle before (I've driven upwards of 30 cars now)! If you do plan on taking a test drive again, do pay attention to this and decide for yourself. It makes a big difference when driving in the city. Further, Honda CVTs are miles ahead of that lazy CVT in the Baleno!

My pick here would be the Ecosport 6AT. I understand that the lack of CarPlay/AndroidAuto (Flyaudio being a real fly in the ointment )deters you from taking the plunge. If you're open to the preowned market, you could look at low run 6AT Titanium+ models with the old 17" wheels. These would have Sync3. Here's a couple of examples : 1. https://www.olx.in/item/ford-ecospor...iid-1566078754 2. https://www.olx.in/item/ford-ecospor...iid-1552778897

DCTs have improved vastly since the early Skoda/VW days. So the Venue would be the next in line. Just make sure you push the brake pedal all the way in when you're waiting in traffic (or shift to N at a signal) so that the transmission doesn't half clutch. The first two gears can be a little jerky at first but you'll figure out how to modulate throttle output over time and it'll just become muscle memory. I'm talking out of personal experience as I regularly drive our Kodiaq in Bombay traffic.

The Nexon is a lot of car for the money and if you're okay with the AMT, it's quite difficult to ignore. If you're willing to wait, I'd say look out for the new i20 which promises to be quite the package.

With all due respect, I definitely find this to be an exaggeration. Automatic gearboxes are quite smart now and it's more likely that a novice or lazy driver will not bother with downshifting in a manual when traffic slows down or when he/she encounters a pothole. Barely anyone cares about driving like us and they're better off mashing the pedal in an automatic.

I'd say one of the biggest contributors is actually people distracted by their phones in traffic, not paying attention to traffic signals and with one hand occupied, you can't even shift down on time. It's almost impossible not to encounter at least one person busy on their phone every time I head out in the car. I've reached a level where I look at what the driver in front of me is doing through their IRVM (At their eyes or the backlight of the phone on their face) and lightly honk (sadly!) beforehand so that they get a move on.
Thanks for the pointers! I feel like DCT doesn’t give much advantages of driving an AT since we need to put it neutral when stopped, so avoiding DCTs for now. Ecosport is a good option but it’s only available in Titanium + AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Would advice you to stay away from the Nexon AMT. Please go through this thread.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...1ud9kMFnrlZrdh

Regarding the build quality of Brezza, it is better than other Maruti cars, as the Brezza and S-cross are built on Suzuki's global Vitara platform, unlike the other cars based on the HEARTECT platform. Both these cars are less susceptible to dents as compared to other Maruti cars.

I have no experience of the Nios and the amaze, but their compact dimensions would mean that they are convenient to park.

Though I have never driven a Ciaz, but have extensively experienced it. I can vouch for the refinement, space and comfort that it offers, and it even falls in your budget. Its build quality is also not bad, it's at par with cars like the Honda amaze. But one thing you must keep in mind is that being a new driver, it's bonnet is a little difficult to judge, and the sheer length may make it a bit cumbersome for you to drive in city traffic.
Will try out Ciaz in city conditions!
Old 21st March 2020, 20:31   #115
BHPian

Hi Dhruv,

If you can, please wait for new i20. I hope Hyundai will take the Premium Hatchback game on another level with this update. It will be worth a wait. I think it will be within your budgeted figure. The renderings looks damn cool.
Sachin V.W. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 20:50   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgamer View Post
Hey, I'm quite a similar user to you. I'm a new driver, 24 y/o, live in Bengaluru and just bought my first car a few months ago.

I went with the Grand i10 nios sportz AMT despite having a budget of 15 lacs. Here are the reasons:
  • Didn't want to go with a Maruti because of the thin sheet metal and the poor quality interiors. Even if you knock on the metal on a swift, the sound is uninspiring.
  • The cars a segment above (compact crossovers like Venue, Ecosport) were like 14 lacs and I didn't feel like they offered enough to justify the cost.
  • Got a good discount on the nios (65k)
  • Hatchbacks are best to drive in Bangalore. Bigger cars are more of a hinderance than a boon in traffic, road presence be damned.
  • The CVTs just feel weird to me in terms of throttle input to acceleration. AMT on the i10 nios on the other hand feels pretty responsive to me.
  • I'd honestly have loved a TC car. But the only TC car around is the Ecosport, which is 14.3 lakhs on road in Bangalore.
  • The polo GT TSI is another excellent consideration, except the interior feels very dated. If Volkswagen will just announce the new polo in India, that would have been the car I would have bought.

Since you are a new driver too, I'd suggest to not spend too much money. Get a cheap, compact car and enjoy it. The next time when you upgrade in a few years you'll know what to buy and more importantly will appreciate it.
Hey, nice to know that you also faced a similar dilema. I was ready to extend my budget to match Venue if it didn't have those DCT issues
But I agree, if I have to go purely by the quality of the interiors/exterior, overall package, i10 NIOS makes most sense. Amaze is nice but I hate the look (personal choice, it's looks very boxy to me. Some people love it though and I understand the appeal). I also love the dashboard on Hyundai and my family has some very good experiences with Hyundai dealers. The only issues is it's a Tad expensive for the size and I am not sure how the AMT will fare in day to day traffic. My father is also biased against i10 NIOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftain View Post
I would say look at the Jazz VX CVT and the Polo GT TSI. A Jazz would undercut your budget by a lac or 2 and still be very roomy and solid. The Polo is even more solid, the old 1.2 was a lot better than the Jazz motor (but I do not know how the 1.0 is), but is a bit more expensive, worse equipped, and despite actually being longer, has worse cabin space. I suggest you drive those two and add them to your list. The Hyundais and Marutis are not nearly as well built.
Jazz CVT would have been a top option but my Honda dealer said they discontinued the model awaiting facelift. Will take a look at the Polo new model

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
Hi Dhruv, After going through your thread, I would recommend you to stay away from Manuals because well you stay in Bangalore. I am personally not at all a fan of AMTs and feel they still have that jerkiness in abundance hence would stay away from one. Moreover, being a consumer, I do not feel feasible spending on a low quality tranny built for budget vehicles.

Now, regarding the DCTs. It all depends on your running, if the same is limited and you keep engaging your GB to N Mode when you're on a signal for more than 40 seconds, it will be fine as it gives the Transmission a cool down time though still being your first car, be confident about your purchase.

The Torque Converters and CVTs are your best bet and quite a few options are there in your budget. Again, would recommend avoiding Maruti Suzuki completely due to their sub standard build quality and lazy 4 speed 80s gearbox. I will simply recommend you Amaze.

A Jack of All and master of none, it fits your requirements perfectly. The car is decent looking, the drive is nice with the butter smooth CVT and is fairly well equipped as well. Yes! The quality is not par Hyundai but it's a reliable work horse which will keep you happy. Moreover, being a Honda, maintenance costs will be pretty reasonable. I don't think in a market like Bangalore where thanks to the taxes, there will be a more value for money offering than the Amaze.

Also, it's a good decision to go for a new car as the same would be your primary and only vehicle in your home and you're new in the market hence a new car always makes sense.

I am not sure how much flexible are you with your budget hence not recommending vehicles beyond your mentioned figure. If you could be a little more clear it will be easier for all of us to suggest you something better.
Thanks for all the nice pointers! I am considering the Amaze CVT but the only issue is I don't like it's look. It looks too boxy to me but I understand some people love it
So I have kept 2 budgets -
1. Around 11 Lakhs for a good car with top features, little compromises on size, boot space etc
2. Extend this upto 14 Lakhs (max) for an excellent car with top features, almost no compromises and use it for quite some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakS View Post
If you want good build quality and a fairly safe car, don't look at Maruti or Honda. Their cars aren't build good and aren't safe. Honda makes good cars, but only the expensive ones are good. Even Honda City has sad build quality. CRV, Civic, etc are great!
Other than the Brezza from Maruti stable, i won't put my safety in any car from that company. Remember, this is a company which stopped sending cars to NCAP after the NCAP head challenger Maruti to make safe cars. And Maruti cars aren't cheap either, they're almost neck to neck in terms of pricing with other companies' pricing.

If you plan to use it in bumper to bumper traffic, i suggest you go for a diesel vehicle as it will be easier on pocket. Brezza Diesel AMT seems like a good choice. If you can find one still being sold in the showroom, then it can be registered before 31st March. That should be a good option.
If not, Tata Nexon diesel AMT, Ford Ecosport automatic, i20 CVT, etc are great choices too.
I am avoiding Diesel cars for now. Will take a look at Ecosport Auto. I am hoping they release i20 CVT soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
There's a new(old) automatic polo coming with a torque converter gearbox and a turbocharged engine, torque converters are very reliable and fast as well, my friend who works at VW has driven the car and told me that the gearbox is very quick. Testing has been done as well and there are no issues with the gearbox-engine combo.

Regarding service cost being high, i own a polo myself and the service bill hasn't crossed 8k till now, there's a way to save some bucks during service by opting out of unnecessary stuff.
You have 4 years of standard warranty which you can increase further, nill depp insurance which goes till 7 years. So don't worry about maintenance cost. With service schedule being 1 year or 15000 kilometres, you have to pay only once a year.

With polo you'll get a compact hatch, very good handling, good ergonomics and a very solid build quality. Moreover you 'll get android auto/apple car play with decent sound system. The new polo will be supposedly cheaper as well due to deletion of dsg gearbox.

Only thing which other manufacturers have over polo is network, volkswagen has limited service centers, but you living in banglore won't face this issue.
Thanks! This was exactly the info I was looking for on Polo. Any idea when this would be coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Hi Dhruv, I have been going through all the postings and really appreciate the eagerness of forum members to suggest you a car that will be useful for your purposes. Now everyone has his/her priorities and those get reflected in the recommendations.

I suggest you to prepare checklist with maximum positive ticks before you finalise your decision.

You are a new driver - choose one which is having a compact size, good alround visibility from cabin, nimble and easy to drive and park.

Need auto transmission - choose CVT or AT, donot go for any other option as those might need higher attention from you.

Family /office car and mostly in city use - compact sedan or hatchback.

Budget 11 lakhs - try to go for top model of whatever brand you choose with usable features.

Interior - since Bangalore is famous for traffic congestion, you need to stay fresh; choose a car with good refreshing interior and comfort creatures. A good sound system will be a bonus!

Engine - choose proven engine with better low end torque for ease of driving in stop and go traffic, that means good torque at lower rpm.

Novelty and peace of mind - Choose a latest model from a reputed brand with good service back-up.

Safety - Options are limited on safety rating, except Tata and Ford.

Fuel efficiency - try to limit your carbon footprint as low as possible. Choose an efficient vehicle.

My 2 cents; if I were you, I would have chosen Grand i10 Nios Sports AMT.
Hey! This community is very nice and helpful for newbies
I see your suggestions and even I agree top options till now comes up to be Grand i10 NIOS with some money saved for Accessories. I am just afraid how the AMT will perform in bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 21st March 2020, 20:54   #117
BHPian

I am owning Ford Figo 1.5 TDCi (MT) and Tata Tiago XTA (AMT). The later one is predominantly driven by my father. I am a driving enthusiast and enjoy my Figo to the fullest, moreover, Nashik is not a crowded place, still I think my next car will be an automatic transmission.

Ford Figo/Aspire equipped with a 1.5 litre petrol engine and a 6 speed TC automatic is easily recommendable if you can take a hit on FE. It is a delightful combination. Unfortunately not yet available with BS6 version.

Tata Tiago/Tigor AMT are well built, well equipped and VFM choices. I found Tata's AMT tuning better than Maruti's, I haven't experienced Hyundai's. I felt jerkiness in shifting from 1st to 2nd gear only, in rest of the gears its seamless and driving modes (City and Sport) are boon to tackle various situations. At the expense of jerkiness what one gets is inexpensive (buying and maintaining) automatic without any hit on FE. You may look for them or go for Nexon AT.
swapnil.awate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 20:57   #118
BHPian

Hello Dhruv,

Seriously, this thread has turned very interesting at the least for me! And, I would be curious to know which car would you pick.

As far as your decision is concerned, I'm totally in support of you deciding to go for an automatic.

Since last 6 years of driving an MT car in Bangalore, I have started feeling the need to go for an AT for sure. The urge to get an AT car started the moment I drove an AT car (Ford Aspire with a TC gear box.) I was spell bound and the moment I drove this car, I literally say this to everyone that I forgot all the traffic mess around me. I strongly suggest my friends and family to only got for ATs and nothing else.

I've been following all the news about AT cars lately and I got few options for you in your price bracket.

1. Tata Tiago AMT
2. Tata Tigor AMT
3. Honda Amaze CVT
4. Hyundai Grand i10 Auto
5. Hyundai i10 Nios AMT (new entrant)
6. Hyundai i20 Auto
7. Hyundai Aura AMT (new entrant)
8. Maruti Suzuki Swift AMT
9. Maruti Suzuki Dzire AMT (new 2020 model has a fresh face now)
10. VW Polo GT TSI (Torque converter, yet to be launched)

Reading all your comments on other posts, if I were to be you, I would have straight away walked into a Hyundai showroom and chosen any one of the below:

4. Hyundai Grand i10 Auto
5. Hyundai i10 Nios AMT (new entrant)
6. Hyundai i20 Auto
7. Hyundai Aura AMT (new entrant)

Why do I say that? Hyundai cars are well put together, quality of the cabin makes you feel good. NVH are contained very well. ASS is also on par with Maruti. I would even say, you would always feel that you have spent your hard earned money well (which is a great feeling!)

I'm not sure about TATA, as I don't have first/second hand experience.
I'm against FORD. I myself own a FORD and I would also suggest you to stay away from this brand as the ASS is not that great. It doesn't make you feel great.

Good luck with your search and purchase! Make the right choice and do what your heart says. And, please please keep us posted on which car you finally decide.

Regards,
Arun
drive1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 21:02   #119
BHPian

I think it is a right thread to clarify my doubt - If we discard AMT owing to jerkiness and DCT owing to reliability issues, we are left with TC and CVT as the only automatic options. By design and tuning, I always felt that TC is more suitable for predominantly highway drives and CVT is more suitable for predominantly city drive. Experienced people may throw some light.
Old 21st March 2020, 21:48   #120

Quote:
Hey, nice to know that you also faced a similar dilema. I was ready to extend my budget to match Venue if it didn't have those DCT issues
But I agree, if I have to go purely by the quality of the interiors/exterior, overall package, i10 NIOS makes most sense. Amaze is nice but I hate the look (personal choice, it's looks very boxy to me. Some people love it though and I understand the appeal). I also love the dashboard on Hyundai and my family has some very good experiences with Hyundai dealers. The only issues is it's a Tad expensive for the size and I am not sure how the AMT will fare in day to day traffic. My father is also biased against i10 NIOS
I got the AMT i10 Nios Sportz for 8 lakhs OTR Bengaluru. The Asta will be around 60k or so more (Asta AMT didn't exist when I bought it, so not much idea). The top models of Amaze CVT is around 12 lakhs and the new polo will be around 11 lakhs OTR. Also, all the cars you are considering are sub-4m class. The i10 Nios is slightly over 3.8m while the largest car you'd be considering will be 4m (Ecosport, Amaze, Nexon, Venue etc). Also, the i10 has very good space inside (more than Venue for the back seat!).

So I don't get the price/space ratio argument here. Go and sit on the back seat of all these cars and you'll realize that it's not smaller than the other cars at all despite the exterior look.

About the day-to-day commute. It's fine. My order of preference: TC > AMT > CVT > DCT. DCT have issues and CVT feels diabolical when you have to overtake, as the engine revs but the car doesn't accelerate. The AMT can sometimes catch you off-guard when switching from 1st to 2nd but other than that it has been perfectly fine in Bengaluru traffic. You get used to the AMT in a couple of weeks. There are some tricks (like take the foot off the accelerator and the engine will shift, you'll know that it shifts from 1st to second around 18-20 kmph, and how much accelerator to press to make it go a gear down).

The new(old) polo definitely seems interesting. But the interiors will be the same and VW won't introduce the new polo in India for at least another 2 years. It's a shame since it would have been my choice of car if they launched the new variant in India. Paying a premium for 10 years old interiors is, well...

Again, test drive all these vehicles and decide. Don't discard a car just because someone feels that way. Most of the guys here are experienced drivers and hence are more inclined towards the engine/gearbox than interiors and features, while we are noobies who prefer the other way round.
darkgamer is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed