Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Used D2 segment car or a brand new Kia Seltos/MG Hector?
Camry Hybrid (March 2015, 60K running, Price after negotiation- 13 Lakh) 124 29.59%
Skoda Superb TSI MT (Latest iteration 2016 model, 58K Running, Price after negotiation-11.5Lakh) 148 35.32%
Mahindra XUV W11 AT (Nov 2018,29K Running, Price after negotiation- 11.5Lakh) 47 11.22%
NEW Kia Seltos 1.4 GTX + DCT 90 21.48%
NEW MG Hector Sharp 2.0 10 2.39%
Voters: 419. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2020, 12:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pre-owned D2 segment car versus a new MG Hector / Kia Seltos

With this uncertain times, my mind has been wandering a lot about pre owned cars and their fantastic prices!

So is it prudent to go for a used D2 segment car such as the Camry Hybrid or a Skoda Superb or splurge the money in a brand new Kia Seltos/MG Hector kind of vehicle? This car would be confined to only highways duties and an occasional city run. Annual running would be less than 5K kilometers. Our humble Amaze will continue duties as a beater car in and around the city.

Note- Have examined all the pre owned cars listed in the poll and all seem to be in pristine condition.

Would like everyone's opinion on this.

Last edited by 07CR : 8th May 2020 at 12:27.
07CR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 12:38   #2
BHPian

re: Pre-owned D2 segment car versus a new MG Hector / Kia Seltos

I'd go for the Superb - That's a mouthwatering deal!
If you say the car is in pristine condition - Go for it. The driving pleasure, luxury, feel, build quality and comfort, are all second to none out of all the options you've presented. Camry might be a tad more comfortable if you're in the backseat, but the Superb's high speed stability and dynamics will more than make up for that. 58k for an MT Superb is acceptable, it'll serve you for years to come.
Not to mention the money you'll save over a GTX+ Seltos.

Get the Superb, maybe remap it, make it your own and enjoy it.

Do you have pictures of the Camry and Superb? Would like to see them. Post them, please!

Last edited by DeKay : 8th May 2020 at 12:39.
DeKay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 12:54   #3
BHPian

Voted for Skoda Superb.

If you are fine with MT gearbox, Superb beats all other listed options hands down.

1)Sorted petrol motor with adequate power, 1.8 L motor is hoot to drive.
2)Loads of space at the back, I mean this is one of those car where rare seat passenger will enjoy spending time at the back.
3)5 star rated safety kit.
4)One of the best interiors in D2 segment sedans.
karan0009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 12:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Volted for the Camry hybrid for the following reasons -
1. Its a Toyota !!
2. Real world FE = at par most diesel from the segment or perhaps even better if you do a lot of city driving
3. Maintenance is relatively cheaper than rivals
4. In this uncertain times, you need your ride to be dependable (even if boring to drive).

If not for the Covid thing, I would have voted for the Superb MT.
blackwasp is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 13:10   #5
BHPian

I would say go for a brand new Seltos. Regardless of how pristine a second hand car might appear. It simply can't beat the peace of mind a brand new car brings to the table.

With hundreds of moving parts under the hood, when something goes wrong in a second hand car, it can truly put one through a lot of unreasonable stress.
rahul_jo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 13:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for adding to your confusion but I'd say if the car will only serve you for highway runs, and I assume you will be driving for the most part, get a 2017 Jeep Compass diesel for around 13L. It's a fantastic highway car, with an efficient diesel engine. If the preowned car already isn't, you can even extend your manufacturer's warranty for the next few years for your own peace of mind.

Out of the options that you have listed, I'd suggest you go to for the Seltos.
S2!!! is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 13:46   #7
BHPian

Normally I'd have chosen new C segment option in a heartbeat. Its obvious, new tech, better resale value, better after sales experience ( in some cases ).

But amongst the given options, if you're given a '16 superb in good condition, it's the best. That is, if you are okay with slightly problematic ( in some cases ) Skoda after sales. It's now not so bad as some make it out to be, several people I know own skodas and haven't faced issues, but it's a possibility, also the car itself is complex and it'll be costlier to maintain than a seltos.

My pick would be 1. Superb and then if not comfortable with it, then 2. Seltos
SaiSW is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 13:50   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
I'd say Seltos followed by Superb. My reasons:
1. Nothing beats a new car with the peace of mind of a long warranty
2. Seltos may be more suited to highway duties,
3. That 1.4 turbo is pretty powerful as well.

Superb is because it's a great deal and with the MT, there is no DSG worries.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 13:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

I voted for XUV assuming you prefer a SUV/crossover since the new cars you shortlisted are of that category. It's an AT too and seems to be sparingly used. It can take you to most hinterlands without any worry of bad roads. You will have total peace of mind with maintenance and spare part cost of a Mahindra. It's a solid and proven car that's abuse friendly and can serve you well for a good 6-7 years. Not to forget it's a 7 seater and loaded with safety features too.

A Skoda with 60k on the Odo is little tricky. I would assume it's warranty will be valid till this year or if in case it has an extended warranty for 5 years, you'll benefit from it only for one more year. Had it been a 3 year old Skoda with 30K on the odo and two more years of warranty left it would've been a sensible choice even with a higher price than quoted. If your risk appetite is good, you can take the plunge with Skoda. The other cars in the fray can't be compared with Skoda' s build quality, driving and passenger comfort besides having a full fledged safety net of 6 airbags, ABS, ESC etc. It was once Skoda 's flagship product in India. The maintenance cost would be at least 40% more than the other 3. Still it may make sense since you would apparently be saving ~10 L if you're not going to buy Seltos (OTR 22 lakhs or so for GTX+).

Camry being a 2015 make is a CBU. Guess they starting making it locally by 2018/19 and I guess it's parts and maintenance cost can be on par with Fortuner. Toyota is known for its bullet proof reliability but I'm not sure how a 5 year old Hybrid will fare in the long run. May be other bhpians who are Camry owners can opine on that. This link can be of help to you to know more about the car.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4566196

If you decide on one of the new cars you mentioned, it's Seltos all the way. After all , it's the Car of The Year. Be prepared for some long queue for it.

Good luck on your hunt and Happy Motoring !

Cheers,
bibendum.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 8th May 2020 at 14:00.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 13:55   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post

This car would be confined to only highways duties and an occasional city run. Annual running would be less than 5K kilometers. Our humble Amaze will continue duties as a beater car in and around the city.
5K KM a year is 400 km a month.
And you say its only highway. So i assume this car will be used for 2 days a month. (assuming you do 200 km/day)

Are you sure you need this car? I think it's a case of want. You might want it, but you definitely don't need it.

The times are uncertain, cash in hand will be definitely better than a car. And maintaining two cars is quite a headache. Twice the insurance, twice the servicing, a set of tyres every 3-ish years etc etc.
turbo is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 13:58   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So is it prudent to go for a used D2 segment car such as the Camry Hybrid or a Skoda Superb or splurge the money in a brand new Kia Seltos/MG Hector kind of vehicle? This car would be confined to only highways duties and an occasional city run. Annual running would be less than 5K kilometers. Our humble Amaze will continue duties as a beater car in and around the city.
I voted for the XUV500 W11.
  1. Considering your other options are Seltos and Hector - you have a liking for SUVs surely. In the long run, you'll have lesser doubts about your decision if you opted for an SUV right now.
  2. Only about 30K KMS on the odo. Its as good as new!
  3. From 2018! The car is still in warranty & you can get extended warranty also. Nothing matches this peace of mind. The others are either out OR have spent more duration of their warranties.
  4. The XUV500 is a really comfortable car & is city friendly too.
  5. 2 more seats for occasional use!
  6. Usual benefits of a tall SUV - king of the road, okay on our poor roads also. No sedan can give that confidence on our broken roads.
  7. Stonker mHawk engine with an AT!
  8. The W11 is really loaded to the gills on features.
  9. You already have a compact sedan. an SUV will bring more flexibility to your options.

Last edited by Reinhard : 8th May 2020 at 14:04.
Reinhard is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 15:41   #12
BHPian

Voted for Superb , because for highway only driving it is one of the best. Plus it falls into luxury car category.
It can be enjoyed both as self driven and as chauffeur driven car. Camry is dull to drive, so only as chauffeur driven car it can be used, which in your case doesn't seem right as your usage will be too less.

Seltos is a ordinary car or SUV which doesn't give you proper big car experience. Don't get me wrong but I have a feeling that Hector will not succeed in the long run and will end up as Chevrolet Captiva which coincidently it is sold as in some other markets.
Sandeep500 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 15:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

If the car is going to be spending majority of its time on the highways, you definitely need a sedan. Forget all about these rolly polly pseudo suvs and pick up a car with some proper mechanical guts and sheer comfort like a D-segment sedan

The Superb you mentioned seems like a good deal. You can also find supremely luxurious Nissan Teanas for even cheaper. D-segment sedans are sort of designed and engineered to higher standards than C-segment cars and it definitely shows so whatever warnings people give you about used cars vs new cars, ought to be offset by the sheer quality, performance, comfort and build construction that a D-segment sedan offers IMO
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 16:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

I should have been a bit more clearer on the doubts I have on these cars-

1) Superb- Even though it's MT, I am not really sure about how good the ASS would be. If any BHPian's could share their reviews on this please! Also any idea how much FE can I expect with a 80% cruising - 20 % aggressive highway driving?

Also just to be clear, this is the Style trim, one level below the top trim.

2) Camry Hybrid. - I hope the Toyota's parts for the current Camry and the old one would be similar and I won't have much issues with the ASS. Skeptical about this. Other than that it just misses out on the Android Auto and a sunroof. Both of which aren't of paramount importance to me.

3) XUV500 - It really is a jack of all trades kind of a car. And Yes, I would prefer driving a XUV as the family size increases! That said, I am afraid of the niggles the previous iterations of XUV had. Also a bit skeptical about how the AT would hold up, and will the ASS of Mahindra will be capable enough to handle any issues that might pop up. The NVH levels in the sedans mentioned would obviously be much better than XUV too.

I am actually 90% sure I don't want to spend 20+ L on a brand new Hector or Seltos. (Due to the current Pandemic situation) I just wanted to see if I see any viewpoints that force me to reconsider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
I'd go for the Superb - That's a mouthwatering deal!
If you say the car is in pristine condition - Go for it. The driving pleasure, luxury, feel, build quality and comfort, are all second to none out of all the options you've presented. Camry might be a tad more comfortable if you're in the backseat, but the Superb's high speed stability and dynamics will more than make up for that. 58k for an MT Superb is acceptable, it'll serve you for years to come.
Not to mention the money you'll save over a GTX+ Seltos.

Get the Superb, maybe remap it, make it your own and enjoy it.

Do you have pictures of the Camry and Superb? Would like to see them. Post them, please!
I would gladly choose the Superb, just worried about the Skoda ASS.

Unfortunately don't have the pics with me right now, but the vehicles were surely in great condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan0009 View Post
Voted for Skoda Superb.

If you are fine with MT gearbox, Superb beats all other listed options hands down.

1)Sorted petrol motor with adequate power, 1.8 L motor is hoot to drive.
2)Loads of space at the back, I mean this is one of those car where rare seat passenger will enjoy spending time at the back.
3)5 star rated safety kit.
4)One of the best interiors in D2 segment sedans.
I am fine with the MT gearbox, as the car would be primarily for highway duties. I would prefer an autobox, but again not Skoda's DSG. As stated earlier, just not sure about the ASS from Skoda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Volted for the Camry hybrid for the following reasons -
1. Its a Toyota !!
2. Real world FE = at par most diesel from the segment or perhaps even better if you do a lot of city driving
3. Maintenance is relatively cheaper than rivals
4. In this uncertain times, you need your ride to be dependable (even if boring to drive).

If not for the Covid thing, I would have voted for the Superb MT.
How hard would be the parts availability for the old Camry? Only uncertain about that aspect. I can live with the rubberband effect of the CVT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Sorry for adding to your confusion but I'd say if the car will only serve you for highway runs, and I assume you will be driving for the most part, get a 2017 Jeep Compass diesel for around 13L. It's a fantastic highway car, with an efficient diesel engine. If the preowned car already isn't, you can even extend your manufacturer's warranty for the next few years for your own peace of mind.

Out of the options that you have listed, I'd suggest you go to for the Seltos.
Compass is a fantastic driver's car. No two ways about it. However, it lacks the premium quotient of the other three preowned cars. Space inside is also way lesser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Normally I'd have chosen new C segment option in a heartbeat. Its obvious, new tech, better resale value, better after sales experience ( in some cases ).

But amongst the given options, if you're given a '16 superb in good condition, it's the best. That is, if you are okay with slightly problematic ( in some cases ) Skoda after sales. It's now not so bad as some make it out to be, several people I know own skodas and haven't faced issues, but it's a possibility, also the car itself is complex and it'll be costlier to maintain than a seltos.

How troublesome would be the ASS of the Skoda? I mean will it be too heavy on the wallet, or will there be the case of my pleas with the ASS falling on deaf ears? I can live a bit with the former, but later is something I am hoping to avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
I voted for XUV assuming you prefer a SUV/crossover since the new cars you shortlisted are of that category. It's an AT too and seems to be sparingly used. It can take you to most hinterlands without any worry of bad roads. You will have total peace of mind with maintenance and spare part cost of a Mahindra. It's a solid and proven car that's abuse friendly and can serve you well for a good 6-7 years. Not to forget it's a 7 seater and loaded with safety features too.

A Skoda with 60k on the Odo is little tricky. I would assume it's warranty will be valid till this year or if in case it has an extended warranty for 5 years, you'll benefit from it only for one more year. Had it been a 3 year old Skoda with 30K on the odo and two more years of warranty left it would've been a sensible choice even with a higher price than quoted. If your risk appetite is good, you can take the plunge with Skoda. The other cars in the fray can't be compared with Skoda' s build quality, driving and passenger comfort besides having a full fledged safety net of 6 airbags, ABS, ESC etc. It was once Skoda 's flagship product in India. The maintenance cost would be at least 40% more than the other 3. Still it may make sense since you would apparently be saving ~10 L if you're not going to buy Seltos (OTR 22 lakhs or so for GTX+).

Camry being a 2015 make is a CBU. Guess they starting making it locally by 2018/19 and I guess it's parts and maintenance cost can be on par with Fortuner. Toyota is known for its bullet proof reliability but I'm not sure how a 5 year old Hybrid will fare in the long run. May be other bhpians who are Camry owners can opine on that. This link can be of help to you to know more about the car.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4566196

If you decide on one of the new cars you mentioned, it's Seltos all the way. After all , it's the Car of The Year. Be prepared for some long queue for it.

Good luck on your hunt and Happy Motoring !

Cheers,
bibendum.
I started my search with the intention of buying a pre owned SUV! However, just not sure how troublesome the Mahindra Niggles would be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
5K KM a year is 400 km a month.
And you say its only highway. So i assume this car will be used for 2 days a month. (assuming you do 200 km/day)

Are you sure you need this car? I think it's a case of want. You might want it, but you definitely don't need it.

The times are uncertain, cash in hand will be definitely better than a car. And maintaining two cars is quite a headache. Twice the insurance, twice the servicing, a set of tyres every 3-ish years etc etc.
The thing is, Amaze has already crossed 1 lakh Kms on the Odo and is nearly 7 years old now. I am not highly confident of pushing the car, as I used to on the highways. Therefore had started search for a new car. However, I don't intend to spend more than 12 lakh (Cautious due to Covid situation), and hence decided to look in the pre owned market as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I voted for the XUV500 W11.
  1. Considering your other options are Seltos and Hector - you have a liking for SUVs surely. In the long run, you'll have lesser doubts about your decision if you opted for an SUV right now.
  2. Only about 30K KMS on the odo. Its as good as new!
  3. From 2018! The car is still in warranty & you can get extended warranty also. Nothing matches this peace of mind. The others are either out OR have spent more duration of their warranties.
  4. The XUV500 is a really comfortable car & is city friendly too.
  5. 2 more seats for occasional use!
  6. Usual benefits of a tall SUV - king of the road, okay on our poor roads also. No sedan can give that confidence on our broken roads.
  7. Stonker mHawk engine with an AT!
  8. The W11 is really loaded to the gills on features.
  9. You already have a compact sedan. an SUV will bring more flexibility to your options.
Sure the list of merits for XUV is extremely high. Just worried about how troublesome would the famed ""Mahindra Niggles would be? This will be the first Pre Owned car in our family and I have fought hard for this initiative! I just don't want it to backfire on me.
07CR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 16:15   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sure the list of merits for XUV is extremely high. Just worried about how troublesome would the famed ""Mahindra Niggles would be? This will be the first Pre Owned car in our family and I have fought hard for this initiative! I just don't want it to backfire on me.
That's where the plenty of balance warranty will buffer you I think. Its not that all Mahindras are horrible. I know a lot of folks very closely that have niggle free decades with Mahindra. In close family. When it comes to lemons - each brand makes them really. The lesser running on the XUV I thought will give you more new-car like experience. The others have run a lot. So their maintenance records would have to be checked as well since some major maintenance expenses may be just around the corner. And then - you get an AT diesel! XUV5OO diesel AT isn't bad by any means when it comes to comfortable cruising.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks