Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What should I get?
Superbike 116 28.64%
Premium Car 289 71.36%
Voters: 405. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2020, 21:47   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Superbike or a Premium car at the age of 35?

Midlife crisis - I get it!

Some pointers as you go along.

1. Buy something scarily fast , impractical or both that no one would even bother to borrow it for a weekend.
2. Buy something you can continue to alter \ build \ customize , rip everything out and start over, spend a lot of time and money over.

Considering your budget, on the bike side, its certainly possible to find something really scarily fast new, and on the car side it has to be a used car if its German - an M Badge, an S Badge, AMG etc is needed, else you are just buying another family car period. Another option new or used is 4X4 vehicles, the amount of money and time that can be poured into them is insane.

Like this!

Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 21:48   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post

At the outset, am I being too selfish and hasty? A premium car for the family would definitely earn some major brownie points. Of course, the home minister shall have wishes to travel in some luxury car as well. This situation actually is a no brainer for the parents to choose which actually is a wise decision.

Amey

Just two questions before I give my two cents.
1: does your wife work?
2: does your wife drive? Or at least know how to drive?
turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 22:50   #18
BHPian

How much ever precautions you maintain even with the most premium motorcycle on earth you will always be safer in a car. One can't deny the stability on 4 wheels vs 2.

That's the reason my parents strictly told me to use a car to travel to nearest metro station ~6km away to commute to college instead of a scooter or bike because it's a fact that "streets are filled with idiots".

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:27. Reason: Spacing
Storm2.0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 23:15   #19
BHPian

Hi Amey, with the street triple in your shed, I believe it is begging to be used to it's potential. RR vs a good car is a no brainier at least for me for you. Go for a good used car. Between 25-35 lakhs is a pretty confusing segment ranging from bulky SUV's like fortuner or Endeavour to exciting sedans older VRS or a superb...a little stretch can get you a nice 330i or 530D or even a mini which is not a bad option. Options get endless.

Or, connect with your old colleagues and get a big deal on a UV, money saved can get you a good used RR. You get the best of both.

Me dealing with a similar crisis now, having rode a bike last during working days in Pune, finalising a big bike next month, after almost a year long plan and search. I hope SSL acknowledges it this time😬

Good luck searching.
varunanb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 23:40   #20
BHPian

Hi amey!

Nice thread you have here - keeps us like minders racking our brains out.

Coming frm my side of the story - I got the cars first and the bike later. But how I so wish it was the other way round.
Age matters.

Going by the lovely valuable bytes shared by Crazy driver and Cyborg here, the answer is simple! Bike it out - while you are still young, cars are not going anywhere. As you mature and climb the corporate ladder, your options will be wide open - to choose between a Luxury Suv or a Premium Sedan. Till then you can get busy intimidating yourself with a 200 bhp pocket rocket

Of course, I voted for the bike!
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 00:19   #21
BHPian

Well, I am in a very similar scenario. The only difference being that my desired purchase is maybe in the next 2 years, but I want to dream about it now. I am 35, have a 5 year old CBR650F which is perfect for my need. I have a 8 year old Vento Tdi which is also perfect for my need. Now, because of the 10 Year Diesel rule in NCR, I might have to change my car in the next 2 years, which honestly I don't want to. The reason is, I love my car and considering such low usage that I have for it now, somehow don't feel like upgrading. My desired upgrade is an Octavia. With this lockdown now, I practically have no use for the car. I still want to have a good car, because I would use it to go to my hometown in Himachal. The idea of smaller city car next, has kind of not sunk in yet.

I actually want to upgrade my bike. There is no need as I am perfectly happy with the CBR, but when I dream, I dream of the bike upgrade. The reason is I have a wonderful group of friends and I am enjoying motorcycling with them so much more than driving. Driving I am do mostly for need, motorcycling I do for myself and hence this urge to upgrade the motorcycle is stronger.

Now practically I can try and save some money and just stay like this with this perfect garage for my current needs, but then God didn't give me much sense and then I don't get good sleep because I am not dreaming of a nice upgrade. Saving money for some reason is not a pretty enough dream that gets me good sleep.

Go for the bike and check out the new Fireblade!!

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 08:50   #22
Mik
BHPian

Would have voted for the SBK had it not been the Striple in your garage.

You already have a taste of a seriously fun and fast bike. Whats next is a premium car for the whole family.

This upgrade itch happens to super-bikers all too often. It doesn't help that BMWs and Ducatis come out with such iconic designs.

I say get that premium car, wring out the maximum from the Striple and evaluate after a few years where your riding priorities lie. Be it a street naked, ADV or a cruiser.

Addendum: Consider some performance upgrades to the the Striple. Might keep you happy.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:28. Reason: Spacing
Mik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 09:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
ADV - Not yet! I can't think of myself on an ADV yet. And yes, as you said - "that S1000RR though"
I stumbled across a very interesting ownership video of the S1000RR some time back. You might have seen it. A very humble and straightforward point of view.

Quite honestly, I was filled with horror at the end of it. You cannot practically use it very much, can you? If you spend all that money and you have to think so much before using it, it makes very little sense in buying. Unless you have the kind of money where the spend barely makes a dent for you and the usage patterns are very specific. The heart is always fickle and will focus on the next big thing once you get what you desire.

I would recommend getting a nice premium car and an ADV a few years down the road.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 09:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Voted - Premium Car.

Reason - You are too young for a Super Bike!
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 09:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Although you already have a nice Superbike, if it was me, I would be investing in both inside that budget of 35 L. That would satisfy both you and your family. But I would have gone for the ADV Sports category, something like the Versys 1000 or the new Africa Twin which being comfortable, I could keep for long after the initial thrill wears off and used the balance 20L on a comfortable sedan like Octavia, a discounted Superb or a pre owned Beemer or the likes. But hey, it's your life mate, do what you want to do.

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 10:54   #26
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I would go against the tide here - voted for the S1000RR.

Reasons ??
  • Fulfilling the S1000RR dream will be even more difficult when you turn 40 or above from the point of view of doing justice to the motorcycle. Sure there are riders who are riding litre class 200bhp+ motorcycles even after they have attained the senior-citizen status but I think everybody will agree to the fact that it makes maximum sense to buy such a motorcycle when you are still young and fit.
  • The fact that your Ertiga is still young at just 2.5 years of ownership. The Swift AMT must be a year old or so. You can always keep them for another 3-3.5 years, save up and upgrade to a D-Segment sedan in a few years from now.
  • You may not prefer the tag of "You live only once" and such, but the fact of the matter is we are not getting younger. A motorcycle with a committed riding posture and so much power on tap demands great fitness levels and agility to actually tame it. Having seen you ride since last so many years, I strongly feel that you have that kind of experience, fitness and agility to do justice to a S1000RR. This may or may not be true few years from now. A premium car can still happen later.

At the end of the day, it is you who has to take a call. Although I am guessing that you have already made up your mind for a premium car, I still feel there is some scope for another round of head vs heart battle.
//M is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 11:21   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
For a 35 year old - The 7 second car will be easy to drive 10 years down the line too, the 2.6 second bike capable of pulling the arms of it's sockets and need special back workouts for it's extremely committed riding position? May be not!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Amey, Hi!

You are only 35 for Gods sake, stop talking like you are a 100 years old
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
The poll results seem far to biased to me (obviously I voted for the RR )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
while you are still young, cars are not going anywhere. As you mature and climb the corporate ladder, your options will be wide open - to choose between a Luxury Suv or a Premium Sedan. Till then you can get busy intimidating yourself with a 200 bhp pocket rocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Go for the bike and check out the new Fireblade!!
Ohhhhh, I'm so loving this discussion. Bikes are priceless. Only a guy who's owned one will understand. They're addictive, they let you forget the world behind you. As I said, they will never meet the economics but they surely know how to get back your happiness. People meditating at home? Get a bike, thank me later.

@Monaro CV8 - S1000RR 2020 is 207HP Stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
If I may ask, how [& where] do you plan to ride a Super Bike if you get one?
There are some things which money can't buy and that's S1000RR for me. In reality, S1000RR is so ergonomically poised unlike other Supersports that I can plan to do 700-800 Kms a day on it without a sweat. Its got all the bells and whistles that an ADV will have. Fortunately, even my body can allow me do that as well. I'm 185cm and 78 kgs with a BMI - 22.8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagann13 View Post
Since you are 35 and got a family, go for a car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Since you already have a super bike which is 900+cc, it makes very little difference if you go for additional 100 to 200 cc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I am with GTO on all of the above
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Midlife crisis - I get it!

Some pointers as you go along.

1. Buy something scarily fast , impractical or both that no one would even bother to borrow it for a weekend.
2. Buy something you can continue to alter \ build \ customize , rip everything out and start over, spend a lot of time and money over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
How much ever precautions you maintain even with the most premium motorcycle on earth you will always be safer in a car. One can't deny the stability on 4 wheels vs 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Hi Amey, with the street triple in your shed, I believe it is begging to be used to it's potential. RR vs a good car is a no brainier at least for me for you.
Me dealing with a similar crisis now, having rode a bike last during working days in Pune, finalising a big bike next month, after almost a year long plan and search. I hope SSL acknowledges it this time😬
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Would have voted for the SBK had it not been the Striple in your garage

Addendum: Consider some performance upgrades to the the Striple. Might keep you happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
Quite honestly, I was filled with horror at the end of it. You cannot practically use it very much, can you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Voted - Premium Car.
Thanks a ton for the wise comments. The votes are certainly not surprising. and none of your points as well but surely debatable. I should get a premium car that's absolutely correct. But but..... there's another aspect to this. Because I've gulped up the rush on the Street Triple, it gives me that extra push to step up that ladder. The age is another factor while considering a supersport now and that's also where the dilemma lies. Its not a no brainer surely.

Regarding the rides, the bikes are so much involving, fun for your passion, freedom, pushes you to be at good physical health, mental health and leaves you with hangovers for no of days even after the ride. and also maybe here's why -

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Just two questions before I give my two cents.
1: does your wife work?
2: does your wife drive? Or at least know how to drive?
1. Yes
2. No. No. But she's a fanatic for both bikes and cars. How? Just as one of the example, every Sunday morning she would say, was that an in-line 4?

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 11:35   #28
BHPian

Amey why not get both

Split your budget of 35-40 lakhs compromise a little. Get a 1.8 Octavia and a BMW bike from remaining 10.xx lacks (sorry I don't have much knowledge of bikes and their prices. I am quoting the price of bike based on what my friend who owns BMW bike told me).

Last edited by Storm2.0 : 22nd May 2020 at 11:39.
Storm2.0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 11:37   #29
BHPian

My advice as a Fellow Superbiker (I ride 14R):
1. Since you have to choose between either a SBK or a car, you obviously have a limited budget and in this case one should spend little rationally instead of going all out with our heart.
2. Itch to upgrade your bike is always there among bikers, but you should check what is actually usable in our conditions. I also ride a 200bhp hyperbike so i will say that S1000RR is great bike but you wont find any roads in India to explore its true potential instead it will be a huge pain on long rides like 200+ kms and there is no point in taking foolish risk just to get the thrills from the crazy speed. I will suggest S1000 only if you intend to do more Racetrack riding than the street.

So, instead i will suggest you to buy new Ninja 1000 for approx. 12-13 (?) Lakhs and spend the balance budget on a suitable car (new/pre-owned) as per your requirements.

Advantages of Ninja 1000 (N1) over S1000RR :
1. Practically while riding, you will not miss any shortage of power as N1 has more than enough for any kind of roads that you will come across anywhere in India. Trust me you are NEVER gonna miss more power on our roads. Period.
2. Kawasaki bikes have better reliability history, N1 is simple with less electronics so more reliable and long lasting.
3. N1 will be many times more comfy over long rides so practically ride will be more fun for you.
4. You will save hugely in Initial price and maintainance costs, depreciation, insurance cost, compared to the S1000RR over few years.

S1000 RR has practical advantages only in brand value and top end power which is redundant in our conditions.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 22nd May 2020 at 11:43.
46TheDoctor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 11:50   #30
BHPian

There are some things which money can't buy and that's S1000RR for me. In reality, S1000RR is so ergonomically poised unlike other Supersports that I can plan to do 700-800 Kms a day on it without a sweat. Its got all the bells and whistles that an ADV will have. Fortunately, even my body can allow me do that as well. I'm 185cm and 78 kgs with a BMI - 22.8.

I know i am contradicting my earliar post but i have realised that Your heart is set on S1000RR which means even a beemer will not satisfy you and you are just 35, you can buy the premium car later as well.

Money can not buy happiness but it certainly can buy you your favourite bike.

Mods i am not sure if i have quoted OP in the right way so please modify the post.

Thanks.
Raghav96 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks