Team-BHP > What Car?

View Poll Results: What should I get?
Superbike 116 28.64%
Premium Car 289 71.36%
Voters: 405. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2020, 15:43   #1
BHPian

Superbike or a Premium car at the age of 35?

Coming from a middle class family it's not easy to buy premium vehicles when your family thinks about buying them as a need over luxury.

Ironically, howsoever financially strong and independent we as Indians become in life, we'll always go back and check with parents if we're taking the right decision. That's the culture and respect embedded in our veins. The perspective of parents is always befitting wherein they can throw you right down to where you belong to.

Even the scenario that I've penned down here is a difficult nut to crack even at my level and which is why I thought of talking my heart out here to the members as well as visitors to the forum.

A bike enthusiast! A true PetrolHead! Its a weird feeling at this age where if you're relatively placed well in your career at 35; there's a huge dilemma between a supersport or a premium car. Obviously, being salaried and a family guy wouldn't allow me to afford best of both worlds considering they're worth Rs 30 Lakh - Rs 35 Lakhs each at this time.

Interestingly, I've had a fairly good progression on the riding history moving from Pulsar 180 to Duke 390, Ninja 300 and now the pre-owned Triumph Street Triple 675 2016 with a cumulative of almost a Lakh Kms on saddle. This pre-owned was the first and has actually boosted confidence to take such jumps into such world and of course Team-BHP has been one of the eye-openers too. I'm craving to jump to a BMW S1000RR (Pre-owned or New) which the new one will almost cost around Rs 30 Lakhs OTR Pune and pre-owned anywhere close to Rs 20 Lakhs or even more for a low-run, not too aged. There are even good finance schemes on a pre-owned superbikes not aging beyond three years. Lot of enthusiasts will say #OneLife and such quotes as below from the Living Legends just don't let you sleep well but with that being said the cunning mind has a series of different thoughts too.

Name:  VR46_2.PNG
Views: 12203
Size:  370.1 KB

On the other hand, if I start scouting for premium cars, I can get handful and mouthwatering deals at Rs 30 Lakhs. From the Superbs to Fortuners to the Beemers.

At the outset, am I being too selfish and hasty? A premium car for the family would definitely earn some major brownie points. Of course, the home minister shall have wishes to travel in some luxury car as well. This situation actually is a no brainer for the parents to choose which actually is a wise decision.

This or That!

Superbike or a Premium car at the age of 35?-img_1913.jpg

The history of ownership of our cars has been around 5-6 years and about a Lakh Kms before we sell them off and move to a new one. The Ertiga has roughly completed 2.5 years and 55K Kms at the odo and basically does a the job of a workhorse. My dad being a senior citizen might stop driving in a couple of years and Swift AMT can be the workhorse for a while where my pockets remain open to spend on a nice premium car.

I am not looking at a Total Cost of ownership scenario here. Its more of the passion Vs the reality checks of life. There is no way an S1000RR can qualify basis a Cost and value proposition.

The people have evolved and matured with buying vehicles and understood that buying is just not enough and need to drill down deeper into the running cost as well which includes - Insurance, Service (Minor / Major if any), Spares, major consumables etc. To address the elephant in the room, bike would have lesser cost but when you think about how your family perceives who's benefited out of the entire deal. ITS JUST YOU! Assuming you pay 2x-3x cost for the premium car but the family won't complain a bit. Mind you, there's no whistle blower policy here for the harassment of riding solo or with a group. You just got to take it all in.

Peeps might wonder with COVID-19 around how am I supposed to plan my financials and invest on a depreciating asset. Even I'm no different and carry the same opinion but taking the head-start now and to evaluate options will take me near to my far fetched dream of deciding what to buy with no pages left unturned.

The whole idea behind this post is to strike a balance between your choices and your family's and what's the best for all of us. Would be interesting to have your views and how you would tackle this predicament or even the experiences you might have already gone through with.

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 18:38   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Superbike or a Premium car at the age of 35?

Neat thread, cool dilemma .

I vote for premium car because:

- Undeniably safer.

- Entire family can enjoy it.

- You will use it more, thus enjoy it more. Most superbikes are weekend toys. A premium car can be used for work + play.

- While superbikes are fun, trust me, a premium car is an equal amount of fun on the right road or ghat section. I'm thinking of you attacking an exciting road in an Octavia vRS, BMW 3-Series, 530d or Mercedes C-Class / E-Class. Even a grand tourer like an Endeavour 3.2L offers its own kind of satisfaction.

- Few things are as pleasurable in life as a road-trip with the entire family in a sweet car.

- You already have a nice motorcycle.

- The wife will be happier .

Adding a poll to spice things up.

Last edited by GTO : 21st May 2020 at 18:43.
GTO is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 18:56   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Superbike or a Premium car at the age of 35?

Is it really hard to get both within the 35 lakhs budget, since you are open to preowned deals?

Based on the prices I see in Bangalore - the only restriction I see is that you may not be able to get the S1000RR itself. Kawasaki ZX10R, being a CKD, is available for 13.99 lakhs ex-showroom new and much cheaper in the used market. Sure, it may be at the end of it's life cycle and not up to the modern standards of the BMW - but I doubt if you'd be able to extract the additional performance on the roads anyways?

And coming to cars - even Bangalore with it's high prices is having good examples of the previous generation F30 series 320D for ~20 lakhs. With the economy in trouble - I expect to see further reduction in prices towards the end of this year.

You may just be able to help yourself and the family as well.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st May 2020 at 19:08.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 18:56   #4
BHPian

Its your money so it should be your choice but in my opinion you should get yourself a premium car as it will be a big upgrade over ertiga and you already have a nice motocycle.

Plus happy family happy you.
Raghav96 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 19:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Have you really outridden what the striple has to offer? Track et all? Where will you ride that RR anyway?

If it was a proper adv touring bike, i would have said go for it. But the use case for an RR is just so little in India that its very difficult to recommend for someone who lives on monthly pay check.

Get a nice big car and let your entire family join you in enjoying it. Your striple and 390 adv should keep you occupied. I also suggest you take classes both on track and offroad to make full use of said bikes before you think of an upgrade (if not done already, apologies if so).

Still, that RR tho

Last edited by Red Liner : 21st May 2020 at 19:15.
Red Liner is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 19:21   #6
BHPian

Would agree with Red Liner, if it was an adv tourer it would make more sense considering the multiple uses. Get a car for the family and remap it for yourself
Depending on the flexibility of your budget, try to squeeze in the F900XR
hareshjethwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 20:00   #7
Team-BHP Support

Bit offtopic to OP's requirements (answered above), but related to the either/or topic -

Should ideally be superbikes v/s supercars for the performance on offer, but us mortals can't really afford proper supercars ever, can we? Forget the Lamborghini or the Ferrari, we can't even think of proper performance cars like the ///M, or the AMG - which command atrocious CBU premium in the new and used markets as well.

We had our own Skoda at least, a premium performance brand in India compared to the budget offering elsewhere! But even they have gone out of the reach of the middle class salaried man now. Getting a new Skoda to do 6.6 seconds to 100 costs 40L on-road. Getting a Lamborghini to do the same in less than 3 seconds will cost 5 crores!

And then there is the litre class superbike that does it in ~2.6 seconds, exceeds 1000hp/ton and costs between 16 to 30 lakhs on-road new! A fit body and a sane mind - the only major requirements here!

For a 35 year old - The 7 second car will be easy to drive 10 years down the line too, the 2.6 second bike capable of pulling the arms of it's sockets and need special back workouts for it's extremely committed riding position? May be not!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st May 2020 at 20:01.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 20:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

If you must have a faired sports bike, any liter class from a few years old will come in at under 10 and is going to be stupid fast and satiate any performance goals that you may have. Plus they are all going to be an upgrade from what you currently ride. The BMW is going to be the most expensive of the lot though.

That will leave you enough for an older gen 3/5 series or even a c/e class. And good clean pieces. Best of both worlds.

Personally I would get a faired sports bike. You are relatively young and there will come a time eventually when an adventurer tourer would become the next logical step whether you like it or not either due to age/health/ or change in preferences.

A few of my friends touching the half century mark sold their gsx1300r's and zzr1400 to get a GS and the African Twin. They dint plan for it, but it was more apt to get them and still enjoy riding.

Last edited by bigron : 21st May 2020 at 20:16.
bigron is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 20:36   #9
Team-BHP Support

If I may ask, how [& where] do you plan to ride a Super Bike if you get one?
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 20:43   #10
BHPian

Since you are 35 and got a family, go for a car.

If you are in your late 20s, I would have suggested the other option looking at your passion for riding.

Like some fellowman suggested, why can't you look at a tourer and a premium car together?

I'm thinking of a Skoda Octavia or even a Superb if the budget sits fine along with a BMW F900XR or a Kawasaki Versys 1000(used/new).

Last edited by Jagann13 : 21st May 2020 at 20:45.
Jagann13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 20:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Since you already have a super bike which is 900+cc, it makes very little difference if you go for additional 100 to 200 cc.

On Indian roads, the difference in power between 900cc and 1000cc is negligible.

On the other side, premium car is a luxury and definitely a big upgrade for not just you but for the entire family.

For a person coming from a middle class family(like you or me), every bit of anything should be value for money, including premium car or super bike.

Comparing and weighing the value for money between a premium car and a litre class super bike, definitely premium car is more value for money. (Please note both are not value for money in absolute sense)

So, I would prefer to go with premium car when compared to bike.

This is purely logical decision from brain. Of you think from heart, it is different game altogether.
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 20:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Amey, Hi!

You are only 35 for Gods sake, stop talking like you are a 100 years old. This mentality is more Indian than asking your parents. Nothing wrong with asking your parents at any age as you know whatever they say is always with love and a hundred percent trustworthy.

Now to the meat of the matter

Buy the S1000RR Amey, fulfil your dreams or when you are actually old, say in your 70’s you will regret it. Now,if you call your late 60’s or 70’ as old I can agree.

Sell off your Street Triple before or round about your purchase of the S1000RR to have more liquidity and keep the 390 for small time work.

Use the S1000RR for the foreseeable future, say maybe for another 5-7 years or thereabouts. I feel your heart should be satiated by that time.

Now begins the time when you could start looking at the luxury sedan/SUV market around the 45 years mark. You also will have had these ten years or so to save up or let’s say enable you for that purchase as well.

Do share the above thoughts with your better half and your parents. Explain to them with love that doing the above will give you much happiness and the luxury car part will also come to fruition in due course. I am certain no parents or partner will have it in their heart to say no to you.

Even after all the advice here, remember it’s the man in the mirror who has to be satisfied and sleep well at night. So ensure whatever decision you make it makes you sleep well.

All the best buddy!

Cheers

P.S. - The above perspective comes from a 55 years young man
Cyborg is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 20:53   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Neat thread, cool dilemma .

- While superbikes are fun, trust me, a premium car is an equal amount of fun on the right road or ghat section. I'm thinking of you attacking an exciting road in an Octavia vRS, BMW 3-Series, 530d or Mercedes C-Class / E-Class. Even a grand tourer like an Endeavour 3.2L offers its own kind of satisfaction
Thanks for your comments GTO. My head's been screaming out loud for a premium car for the most of the points that you've covered as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Is it really hard to get both within the 35 lakhs budget, since you are open to preowned deals?

Based on the prices I see in Bangalore - the only restriction I see is that you may not be able to get the S1000RR itself. Kawasaki ZX10R
It would be hard to get both as I'd look for low run and within 3 years of registration to fetch a finance scheme which gives same ROI as new. I've ridden the ZX10R extensively. Its just not there when you compare the overall ride with S1000RR. Nothing can beat the electronics and the effectiveness that BMW provides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Have you really outridden what the striple has to offer? Track et all? Where will you ride that RR anyway?

If it was a proper adv touring bike, i would have said go for it. But the use case for an RR is just so little in India that its very difficult to recommend for someone who lives on monthly pay check.

Still, that RR tho
Here's a link to my brief rides on Street Triple 675. You can say that I've outgrown the Street because it isn't intimidating anymore.

Link - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ple-675-a.html (Road to finalizing Bumblebee - Triumph Street Triple 675)

I've not done track yet, was supposed to be at BIC last month but got to hold on some more time now. I'm actually not interested in the training schools. MotoGP is the biggest school for me.

ADV - Not yet! I can't think of myself on an ADV yet. And yes, as you said - "that S1000RR though" I feel something inside whenever I hear that name. I might have to hear my head and let my heart weep for now. Still in a major dilemma. Why so? Because it seems like a life goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Personally I would get a faired sports bike. You are relatively young and there will come a time eventually when an adventurer tourer would become the next logical step whether you like it or not either due to age/health/ or change in preferences.
Exactly my point! Still got the spirit to ride a faired bike and when its time then it'll be an ADV without a second thought.

Cheers,
Amey

Last edited by Amey Kulkarni : 21st May 2020 at 20:56.
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 21:15   #14
Team-BHP Support

I am with GTO on all of the above. The simple fact is that the premium car will have a wider universe of people who enjoy it and on a more regular basis. Add to that the fact that a super sports style bike really doesn't have the suitable roads for us to really do justice to it on (specially for us MH folks who don't have a track close by). I would say buy the premium car. Your 675 will be worth 5.5L or so. for another 3.5 - 4.5 lakh you can get a used Street Triple RS or some really premium motorcycles that are LOTS of fun too and you'll have the best of both worlds.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 21:42   #15
BHPian

The poll results seem far to biased to me (obviously I voted for the RR ), but having said that - I feel that the reason why everyone makes a case for the car is very simple - they can relate to the experience, the comfort, the status that the car provides very easily.

On the other hand, get these same people to straddle a bike and test whether their pulse accelerates as fast as the bike does or whether they can hold on to the handlebars when the brakes bite in and I feel their decision will change very quickly!

Maybe you can take the home minister on a test ride to make your case!
jomson13 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed