Team-BHP > What Car?

View Poll Results: What should I get?
Superbike 116 28.64%
Premium Car 289 71.36%
Voters: 405. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2020, 12:02   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Superbike or a Premium car at the age of 35?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav96 View Post
There are some things which money can't buy and that's S1000RR for me. In reality, S1000RR is so ergonomically poised unlike other Supersports that I can plan to do 700-800 Kms a day on it without a sweat. Its got all the bells and whistles that an ADV will have. Fortunately, even my body can allow me do that as well. I'm 185cm and 78 kgs with a BMI - 22.8.

Do you own one or have you ridden one for over 700 kms each day consecutively for a few days?

That would be one hell of a ride report. Lets see it!
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 12:05   #32
BHPian

I guess it's fair to say this dilemma applies to anyone wanting to spend big money on a Superbike - it is inherently irrational, dangerous and depreciates like crazy. You'll always have family/friends recommending you a million other ways to better use that money, and perhaps rightly so.

But these are not left brain decisions, these are decisions of the heart. And for a petrolhead, that's how it should be.

Get that S1000RR. 20 years later, you'll regret not buying it. You'll have enough and more time to buy a premium car and enjoy it for a long long time. But your body won't be able to take a S1000RR's mind bending acceleration 20 years later. Or maybe even 10 later.

Since you have so much saddle time on the Striple already, you'll be able to truly enjoy the S1000RR. And it will keep you entertained for a long long time. Moving from 100bhp to 200bhp is a big jump and brings in a whole new rush of excitement that can't be explained.
I moved from the Striple to the RSV4 and it was the best decision of my life! (hope my wife isn't reading this ). I still have the Striple though but take my RSV4 pretty much everywhere - 1500+ kms trips, trackdays at MMRT, breakfast runs etc. The Striple comes out only when I know for certain that my trip will take me through horrendous roads.

I am 35, just like you, and as long as you maintain your fitness levels, you can take these arm wrenching machines for a few years more atleast. The time for ADVs and the lot will come, but not yet not yet. Listen to your heart man.

PS: If it's a S1000rr you go to sleep dreaming of, don't compromise with a ZX10r or any other litrebike. You don't want regret to gnaw at you after buying a big bike.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:29. Reason: Spacing
niranjanrvce is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 13:33   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Do you own one or have you ridden one for over 700 kms each day consecutively for a few days?

I actually wanted to quote the first paragraph but somehow goofed up. Apologies for that.

Secondly, i can not even ride a splendor let alone this missile.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:29. Reason: bt = but. Please type in full, no SMS language. Please go through the rules.
Raghav96 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd May 2020, 13:42   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I actually wanted to quote the first paragraph but somehow goofed up. Apologies for that.

Secondly, i can not even ride a splendor let alone this missile.
Haha. Never too late to start.

Just sounded incredulous that an RR is as comfortable as an adv bike. Now i know why
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 15:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

Voted for a Premium car and here's why
  • - Safer
  • - More seats for the family
  • - Can do long road trips without breaking a sweat
  • - Better overall comfort and a bit lighter on the wallet

Listing a few of the good deals I found:-
1) 2008 Jaguar XK-R Coupe (British Green with Gold Accents and Rims) being sold by Navnit Motors for Rs 32.5 Lakh in Mumbai - https://www.cardekho.com/used-car-de...-Edition-cars-
Mumbai_AD682D50016754F1FA285DAEFC93DF77.htm

2) 2016 Mini Cooper Convertible S (Turquoise with White Stripes) for Rs 31.5 Lakh - https://www.cardekho.com/used-car-de...219FCA419C.htm
akash_v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 15:28   #36
BHPian

Very interesting thread. More so because I could relate to the dilemma. I suppose you need to be really honest with yourself in terms of what you really want. And what you are getting into. A lot of childhood dreams rule us, while it is not a bad thing per se, there is also this element of being pragmatic or being clear with respect to the choices we make.

I'm personally biased towards a SBK as I feel nothing can come close to the satisfaction of wielding a 200hp missile cleanly. The connection, the feel and the feedback you get simply cannot be matched by a car. At least not the variety we get in the < 50L bracket.

The next question that come is what is your primary need for the SBK. While there are many who do breakfast rides, weekend rides and even long distance rides on a SBK, I feel that's like touching about 20-30% of what the bike has to offer. I understand at the end of the day it is also a very personal choice, but I strongly feel the bike's potential is underutilized big time unless you visit a race track several times a year. In my opinion, no other road can match the safety of taking a machine & myself to the limits.

The next consideration is the operational costs. A SBK with 200hp will finish its rear tyre in no time, especially if you ride on the track. The OEM SuperCorsa SP on my RSV4 lasted me for about 4 days of track riding. Even on the road, I suppose the sporty tyres will last only a few thousand kms before needing a replacement. Again, on a SBK, I feel it does not make sense to fit road going/sport touring tyres as it reduces the element of mechanical grip considerably.

The point I'm trying to highlight is that as you go down this path, the operating window also becomes that much narrower - especially if you are using it on the track. Which implies more frequent of everything - oil changes, brake pads, chain & sprockets, tyres, brake fluids, suspension fluids, valve clearance checks etc.,

In my case, I was clear I'm not going to use the RSV4 for anything other than track days. And after running-in the bike on public highways for the initial 1000kms, it was even more clear that the track is where the machine & I are the happiest.
vignesh.cv is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 16:00   #37
Senior - BHPian

I voted for a superbike. No car in the 30-40 lakh range poses any value to me these days since they are all fairly lackluster in my opinion and not worth the asking price. However at that price or possibly much less, exotic machines like the MV Agusta F4, KTM RC8, Aprillia RSV4, Ducati Panigale, BMW S1000rr just evoke so many more emotions be it to the rider/owner or to people just looking at them. I would say go for a pre-owned superbike, and perhaps a pre-owned Superb as well don't blow so much money on a brand new "premium" car which you will look at and keep assessing the value of down the road. The superbike will continue to look like a million bucks regardless of what it is worth whenever you park it and walk away. It will definitely feel like more of an achievement and why shouldn't it? Afterall 35lacs is quite a bit of money.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 22nd May 2020 at 16:01.
Old 22nd May 2020, 18:14   #38
Senior - BHPian

My brother is a superbike coach and even though he lives in South Africa, where traffic is more disciplined and the risk of bullock carts, animals and people crossing a highway randomly, or coming across a speed breaker in the middle of nowhere on a highway is much less than India, he chooses to ride on a track only. Sadly, the risk of riding in India isn't worth it, as much as the thrill is better. I voted for premium car for that reason only.
Old 22nd May 2020, 18:30   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I would go against the tide here - voted for the S1000RR.
Its actually not against the tide but infact I feel like surfing on the wave and not sure what side i'll fall. You guys are really making it spicing it up and making it difficult for me. The reasons listed by you are very apt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
Amey why not get both
I'll have to compromise either way to fit both of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
My advice as a Fellow Superbiker (I ride 14R):
Why did you choose the ZX14R. Is that not an overkill for the Indian roads?

Quote:
Money can not buy happiness but it certainly can buy you your favourite bike.
Thanks for your good wises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

Been there! Done that! On what I've previously owned or own now, Duke 390, Ninja 300 and Street Triple 675. FYI - The handlebar on my Street is further extended by 2mm to get the aggressive posture while riding for my height. To be very honest, Duke 390 was the worst tourer with that seat. Definitely will share stories if I pickup my dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
If it's a S1000rr you go to sleep dreaming of, don't compromise with a ZX10r or any other litrebike. You don't want regret to gnaw at you after buying a big bike.
Haha! You picked up the correct nerve there. Its either the S1000RR or probably nothing among the Supersports category.

Last edited by Amey Kulkarni : 22nd May 2020 at 18:33.
Old 22nd May 2020, 21:27   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
Ohhhhh, I'm so loving this discussion. Bikes are priceless. Only a guy who's owned one will understand. They're addictive, they let you forget the world behind you. As I said, they will never meet the economics but they surely know how to get back your happiness. People meditating at home? Get a bike, thank me later.

@Monaro CV8 - S1000RR 2020 is 207HP Stock.

Amey
So I was quite lucky and got a chance to ride the 2020, S1000RR for a bit.

I would be honest, the bike was brand new and it was a friend's, friends bike and I wanted to treat her with all respect as she was in run in. Plus this bike has such a formidable cult, that I was very scared of the throttle.

It is quite comfortable for a super sport.

The seat is nice and soft.

The brakes are awesome and the general fit and finish is very good.

The touchscreen is nice, although I am not personally a big fan of their touchscreen implementation, however it is still good.

The throttle response and the low end punch even on the stock bike was hilarious.

It will be a fun bike. I am just scared of the cost of after sales. Just a reference, this bike had the optional rear set and foot pegs which costed a whopping 1.1 lakhs.

CHEERS!!
Rachit

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:30. Reason: Spacing
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 22:13   #41
BHPian

Quote:

Why did you choose the ZX14R. Is that not an overkill for the Indian roads?
My suggestions were primarily based on your post that you are not just a collector of some exotic machines but you are someone who actually rides for thousands of kms.

I agree that 14R's power is also an overkill for our roads and my primary reason for buying it was the great comfort that it offers along with that power and thats why my next bike wont be a 200 bhp hyper/superbike. It will be either a Tuono 1100 factory or something like S1000XR or Multistrada 1260s/v4. Having said that, I was also planning for 10R initially but chose 14R for the exact same reasoning that i have given.

Some additional points:

1. 14R is midway between supersports and conventional sports tourers in terms of riding position, also it has a well cushioned, generously sized seat and great ride quality, so it is extremely comfy compared to the supersport machines. I have done total 25k kms on my bike with many 500 km/ day rides. The maximum i have done is 1100 km in a day (Pune to Rann of Kutch) and on that 5 day trip we did total 2500 km riding without any discomfort. You simply can not do that on a supersport, at least not in comfort.

2. I bought my 14 in 2016 for 18.6 L OTR which was relatively a very good deal compared to the prices we need to pay today for 200 bhp club.

So, to conclude, i will stick to my previous position against supersports unless you are planning for lots of track days. Having said that i will advocate the purchase of 14R or Hayabusa because they are extremely comfy while being extremely powerful/fast at the same time. I will also support the decision of buying sports tourers (like N1000), super nakeds (like Tuono) or adv tourers (like 1260S or S1000XR) as they are also very fast, comfy and practical making them more fun to ride in our conditions.

This is all that i could offer, the rest is upon your preferences.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 22nd May 2020 at 22:34.
46TheDoctor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 22:46   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its actually not against the tide but infact I feel like surfing on the wave and not sure what side i'll fall. You guys are really making it spicing it up and making it difficult for me.
Somehow, with each post after the opening one - I get the feeling that the thread is to convince the family.

You are already way past conviction stage. S1000RR it is!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 22:52   #43
BHPian

I bought my Daytona when I was 34. Unlike you, it wasn't a decision of nice car vs fast bike, I had already bought a car before that, but a superbike was a bucket list thing. I just had to do it for myself.

TLDR answer : Go for the S1000RR !

Long answer:

The Street Triple 675 is a nice girl next door, sweet, friendly and undemanding, but everyone lusts after the sultry supermodel, no matter how mean she is, isn't it ? Be prepared to spend 2x the money on tyres, brake pads and consumables. I'm sure you have that calculated too and you have enough time in the 675's saddle to know the throttle works both ways, so you won't have to rely on the S1000RR's forced nice manners (aka electronic nannys) to keep you from wrecking. What you need to decide on - is if you can live with the racier ergos and heat. I'm sure it's not as aggressive as the Daytona but it's definitely not as comfy as the ST. And you need to decide for yourself how often you'll be able use the 200hp. Everyone's risk radar is calibrated differently and I believe you're definitely not as risk-averse as I, but how much more?

Yes, the S1000RR is overkill, the way using a bazooka to kill a rat is overkill. But it's fun, overkill is tremendous fun under the right circumstances. I have not ridden the 2020 S1000RR but I did ride the 2018 model - and it's a rush, and I wasn't even close to 5 digit revs. While I have seen quite a few videos on YT of bikers hitting 280+ speeds, I've also seen the what-ifs in my mind and a few close shaves in some of those videos. I'm not discouraging you from buying one - I'm only saying realistically, I hardly ever find it safe enough to unless 120hp of my Daytona, let alone 200hp of the liter class rockets, but still would like to own one (or more!). But better move house to somewhere closer to highway and far away from the city - because getting in and out of the city is what tires you on race reps.

Remember - fossil fuels are on their last legs, we will still them for around 20 years or more, but the cost of owning performance machines will progressively grow out of reach, unless your income rises at quicker rates. Add to that, the world's governments are increasingly getting more and more intrusive and greedy , and speeding is one of their pet hates as a "public safety matter", even though they don't really care a rat's backside about commoner's lives, they just have to show they care. So opportunities for enjoying performance machines are going to reduce - by way of more taxes, stricter fines and what not. Let's not even talk about one's age and riding age-appropriate motorcycles.

You have two fairly new cars, so presumably won't need replacing or suck up money in repair bills for another 4-5 years, correct ? In the current COVID-19 induced economic tremors, do you have assets/savings to keep you above water for a year or more ? A luxury car can still be had at 45, but there's no certainly you'll be up for a crotch rocket at 45, so now is a better than several years later.

Some people are suggesting ADVs and Ninja 1000s - I suggest you dont'! I took a test ride of the Ninja 1000 and while I didn't want to eliminate it on the basis of a short test ride , it's not the first time a bike failed to impress on the first ride but came out worthy after a longer getting to know to. I had asked for a longer jaunt that I didn't get, I found the Ninja 1000 too tame, too bland. It's not the bike for you, I feel, but take a test ride and decide for yourself.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:31. Reason: Spacing
Ricci is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 11:47   #44
BHPian

Voted for Super bike.

I'm a late bloomer in the world of super bike. I was totally a four wheeler enthusiast and used to be totally biased against two wheeler. Was gunning for Ninja 650 but ultimately landed myself on Z800, that is four years back. Mind you then I was clocking 40.

Never regretted the decision and later on graduated myself to an Adventure tourer Multistrada 1260S, as I'm more into long distance touring.

I say, why don't you try Ducati V4S or Aprilla RSV4? S1000RR in the new avtar is pretty mild compared to above two.

Last edited by Vasuki : 23rd May 2020 at 11:51.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 13:32   #45
BHPian

This is a no brainer for me and should be the same for you. The answer is the SBK - S1000RR is on your mind right now so take test rides and make the payment if everything is great. If not, pick another SBK and repeat the process.

Long Story:

1) You are 35. The time to enjoy SBKs is now. Premium cars can be had and enjoyed even when you are 50+. Not saying that you will not enjoy an SBK at that point but you being a biker already, I guess you understand what I am saying.

2) Your buying history is indicative of your love for performance bikes.

3) Your buying history is also indicative of the fact that you look for practicality w.r.t cars. Workhorse Ertiga and convenient hatch back Swift AMT.

4) Because of 2 and 3, if you do buy a car, you will still feel a bit when a super bike will pass by while you will be negotiating traffic in the comfort of you car. Even when it will be 38+ degree hot outside and you will be in comfort of the cool cabin with those leather seats and all the gizmos, you will skip a heart beat when a biker with full gear and an excellent exhaust sound will zoom from your right side

5) Again - You are 35 only. You can always save more in future and get a premium car for yourself or family say at 45 (or a used one at 40) when the economy will get better, you will grow professionally and will have fewer liabilities (compared to now I mean). If you are capable of getting a SBK - S1000RR or any other, now at 35 you for sure will be capable to buy a premium car such as 5 series or E-class at a later day.

6) I know you know all this but are still posting here? I guess the reason for the same is that you want both Pleasure for yourself and comfort for the family. But it is you who is funding it, it is you who has had a dream and it is you who has been saving for it. So do it now - get the SBK. A premium car can be easily had at a later date. I am sure your family will be happy and agree.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:31. Reason: Spacing

Most Viewed