Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car would you buy under a 11 lakh budget?
Ford Figo 1.5 Titanium Blu 23 14.56%
Hyundai Venue 1.5 SX diesel 14 8.86%
Hyundai Creta E 1.5 diesel 15 9.49%
Tata Altroz 1.5 XZ(O) 19 12.03%
Tata Nexon 1.5 XM 23 14.56%
Retain the Ciaz 1.3 64 40.51%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2020, 15:21   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A new diesel car under Rs. 11 lakhs?

Compared to the Ciaz, the Ecosport, Nexon and Venue would feel small. You'd be downgrading to these, in the ergonomics department at least.

The Nexon is poor in headroom and if you're tall, you'll want to check it out. Shoulder-room in the 2nd row is tight for 3 to squeeze in.

Ecosport is also quite compact on the inside all around. I personally haven't been inside a Venue to comment on it. But surely none of these can hold a candle to the Ciaz's leg-room, or am I wrong?
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 15:24   #17
BANNED

Voted for retaining the Ciaz.
If you wish to replace your ciaz, all of them are downgrades for it. Ciaz itself is a fantastic car which is comfortable and reliable.
The 1.3 diesel is simply fantastic in terms of reliability. The parts would be available for a long time and that wouldn't be a concern at all. But if there is still an itch to replace your ciaz, then i guess you should go for the Hyundai Venue top model that costs a little over 11 lacs on road.
There is no point of buying a base creta over a top variant Venue. But if space is the main priority, then creta here is the most spacious of all.
Thanks,
Tachyonites.
Tachyonites is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 15:54   #18
BHPian

I voted for retaining Ciaz. If you really want to move on, among your list, I would choose the new Creta. You may have to stretch a little but it is all worth. You get the comfort/space, convenience of service centers, quality interiors and a good resale value just like your Ciaz.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 16th June 2020 at 15:55.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 16:38   #19
A M
BHPian

Maybe you should retain the Ciaz and swap the Kwid with a Figo/Freestyle. This way you will have 2 great cars in your garage and still save some cash.
A M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 18:11   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Brezza anyone ?
Since OP is looking for a diesel car, the Brezza helps itself out of the door automatically. If the OP is okay for a petrol car - the others in the segment are also good & Brezza doesn't have real USPs to distinguish it.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 18:56   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: A new diesel car under Rs. 11 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I have a 2015 diesel Ciaz 1.3, which has run 1,17,000 km. The car is pristine and runs as good as it was when new.
You know my answer, Prasanna.

1. Retain the Ciaz - reason why.

2. Spice it up a bit to make the drive more interesting - ideas here. Remap, ICE, tyres etc.

3. Invest the money saved and in another 3 - 5 years, you'll be able to buy a 20+ lakh car easily . Now, that will be an upgrade. None of the cars in the poll are an upgrade; the Creta sure, but no fun in base variants. Maybe the next-gen Octavia in 2024, with the same money?
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 19:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

I am struggling to see any value in purchasing a new car given the options, and have hence voted for retaining the Ciaz. The base model of the Rapid at 7.5L ex-showroom is a decent replacement, though is Petrol.

Your Ciaz will easily run problem free for another 5 years, so use the time to save more money and actually upgrade in 2025 or so.
pganapathy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 19:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hello sir, I have been through your ownership thread. Since the car is pristinely maintained it will easily last another lakh km's with regular maintenance.

Will suggest investigating the root cause of why you are planning to change the car. Is it safety, driving pleasure, comfort, do you have an irresistible sale offer on your Ciaz or anything else?

If you do not have any answer, then it's probably monotony. Try swapping cars during your daily use, it may help reduce the monotonous feeling.

In case you plan to buy another car, buy something that has a very good resale value as you may consider changing again after 5 years. (Read Maruti, Hyundai or Kia)
jetsetgo08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 20:41   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Do note that just because a car is maintained well for a lakh kms doesn't guarantee that it goes on the same way for the next lakh also. The components - especially those in a turbo charged one with EGR, intercooling, various hoses, cooling & electrical systems are generally well past their prime for a 1 lakh kms driven car. Now this car is just 5 year old - so generally the hoses, electricals might hold up well for another 2-3 years easily. But beyond 1 L Kms, generally engine, suspension components need overhauls and replacements simply due to normal wear and tear. Those expenses sure will start appearing in the next 2 years or so.

As long as you are fine to spend that while remembering that you saved big bucks by not buying a car at all - its absolutely fine. Generally this doesn't happen though. When spending large money on repairs, the feeling is "it would have been better to buy a new car".

2 years later when you buy the next car - it will not be at the price as today. So that also needs to be taken into consideration. What if the expense on the upkeep of this car + higher price of new car then, ends up being a costlier alternative to buying a car right now. (This was the exact though with which I swapped my Vista for Nexon. It was far easier for me since the extra 1 L rupees for BSVI upgrade made the difference far bigger in my calculation & I jumped at a BSIV car before deadline.)
Just my 2 cents to add to the confusion in decision making.

Last edited by Reinhard : 16th June 2020 at 20:43.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 21:30   #25
BHPian

Hi sir, I have been following your posts for quite some time now. I had a Swift Dzire Vdi purchase on June 9th 2009. I exchanged it for Duster Rxl AMT in December 2016. My Swift ran for 2 lakh kilometres during my ownership. I used to genuinely follow certain things:

a) Maintain regular service schedules.
b) Follow engine idling rule sincerely during the entire ownership.
c) Never jumped over speed breakers. Suspension was taken good care.
d) Never let the engine idle with AC on for more than 15 minutes at a stretch.
e) Never crossed 3000 rpm in its entire journey with me.
f) Never used to ride the clutch. Clutch set was changed only once.
g) Never did modifications. Not even minor.
h) I love Yokohama ES 100 and right from the beginning I used only those tires.
i) Last but not least I loved the car and was attached to it.

The reasons for me to change the car:

A) It didn't have ABS or Air Bags.
B) I was getting married and family wanted a new vehicle.

Duster RXL AMT then had ABS, EBD , ESP, Traction Control, Hill Start Assist. I was getting it for 13 lakhs on road. It was a great deal for that day. I got exchange value of 4 lakhs, so totally convinced. How do I feel now ? Now I have a Crysta, Duster. Swift had fantastic handling. Excellent mileage of 18-20 kmpl all through out it's journey with me. It had 450 litres boot capacity. If the Swift dzire vdi 1.3 had ABS, I would have never sold the car. My Duster completed 80000 kms and am satisfied with it as well. In today's market it's better to be with a known devil rather than an unknown angel. Your Ciaz is a known devil. At least let the Ciaz be a beater car for your family. These are purely my observations. I don't intend to hurt others feelings.

Thank you,
drpavan.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th June 2020 at 15:13. Reason: Removing unwanted spaces and clubbing sentences into paragraphs for better readability.
drpavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 00:43   #26
BHPian

Hi Prasanna,
Firstly, I have been following your Ciaz ownership thread.
And its one of the very well maintained Ciaz around and in no way it looks old.

Coming to the topic, as many have suggested, my thought too is that, it's better to stick on to your existing car.

It's difficult to get a proper replacement to the Ciaz in the given budget. Instead you can pamper your car with few things, use it for few more years and then buy a new car from higher segment.

But on another note,
Once the new car thought comes to the mind, it's very difficult to overcome it.
So, if you still want to purchase a new one, then I would suggest to choose either:

1. Ford Freestyle Titanium+ :
Would recommend this instead of the Figo Blu, for better safety and added ground clearance.
This combined with all the pros you already mentioned in your opening post for Figo.
Or
2. Tata Altroz XZ(O) :
One of the safest and good looking cars.
And the interiors are nice and the driver seat is a good place to be in.

I had read earlier that you usually spend 2-3 hours a day in driver seat and clock 100+ KMs.
So please choose a car which is safe, good looking, with good interiors and features.

I suggest you to buy the topmost variant available, in whichever car you choose.
That way you won't feel disappointed or miss any features in the long run.
Also there will be no much need to add aftermarket accessories incase of top end and hence no worries on warranty claims.

Regards,
DLC

Last edited by DLC5005 : 17th June 2020 at 00:46.
DLC5005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 00:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Easy decision in my eyes- retain the Ciaz and get a remap/colored roof etc. As many members have said, there is no real upgrade in the list except for the Creta. But the base Creta E will be too much of a compromise.

Going by your threads, not much of your driving is done in crazy B2B traffic. Considering that, the wear and tear of your car will be equivalent to the wear of 50k km car which is driven by an average user in cities like Bangalore/Mumbai.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
This was the exact though with which I swapped my Vista for Nexon.....
Vista for Nexon is a significant upgrade in power, safety, space, and features. OPs Ciaz is a pretty good car and none of the cars in the list can be considered significant upgrades.

EDIT: Here's a link to Code 6 remap for an S-Cross with the same engine. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post3843814 (Journey from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L)

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 17th June 2020 at 01:04.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 01:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

I was about to choose the option of retaining the Ciaz but then I saw that even before selecting a new car, you have mentioned that you'll again replace it after 5 years.
I have voted for Venue (I would never buy one myself though as I dont like this car). It seems to be the most reasonable among others in your shortlist. I would have bought Nexon (and recommended to you also) if it had been the top model (XZ or higher).
Nexon XM is not in my recommendation list though it is a very capable car.
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 02:53   #29
BHPian

I do not have an answer to what the correct upgrade would be but I do have a different perspective on the advice most here are giving on retaining the Ciaz.

As much as the advice of retaining the Ciaz sounds practical, you know it won't give you the same happiness once the new car bug bites you. You are basically bored of what you have been used to for 4 good long years. Remapping the 1.3 engine with some exterior/interior upgrades will only postpone that itch for say about a year at best. And it will cost money to carry out these upgrades. Get what you like as long as your finance permits the upgrade. Life is about living now, not about planning for 4 years down the line.
octane1002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 19:32   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I have a 2015 diesel Ciaz 1.3, which has run 1,17,000 km. The car is pristine and runs as good as it was when new. But I have an itch for a new car that just wouldn't go. I tried re-reading the great thread on our forum about retaining the 5 year old car, and it makes me convince myself for a day or two but the new car bug bites again.

I tried replacing my 2016 Kwid 1.0 with the smashing new Tiago 1.2, and was about to sign the cheque, but then, my dad didn't like the car. I couldn't move ahead as he will be the primary user. So I am left with either retaining the trouble free Maruti or choose from the following. I have an upper limit of 11 lakhs(may stretch just a little) as I am sure I will want to buy another new car after 5 years.
First question that comes to mind: why do you want a diesel, when similar specced petrols cost less, the fuels are now similarly priced (and diesel will be more expensive in a few weeks than petrol), and petrol resale values will hold better in 5 years than diesel cars?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks