Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car would you buy under a 11 lakh budget?
Ford Figo 1.5 Titanium Blu 23 14.56%
Hyundai Venue 1.5 SX diesel 14 8.86%
Hyundai Creta E 1.5 diesel 15 9.49%
Tata Altroz 1.5 XZ(O) 19 12.03%
Tata Nexon 1.5 XM 23 14.56%
Retain the Ciaz 1.3 64 40.51%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2020, 11:35   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

A new diesel car under Rs. 11 lakhs?

Hey BHPians,

I have a 2015 diesel Ciaz 1.3, which has run 1,17,000 km. The car is pristine and runs as good as it was when new. But I have an itch for a new car that just wouldn't go. I tried re-reading the great thread on our forum about retaining the 5 year old car, and it makes me convince myself for a day or two but the new car bug bites again.

I tried replacing my 2016 Kwid 1.0 with the smashing new Tiago 1.2, and was about to sign the cheque, but then, my dad didn't like the car. I couldn't move ahead as he will be the primary user. So I am left with either retaining the trouble free Maruti or choose from the following. I have an upper limit of 11 lakhs(may stretch just a little) as I am sure I will want to buy another new car after 5 years.

My usage :

100-120 km a day
80% solo, 20% - 2 occupants

Requirements:
1. Comfort & ride quality
2. Reliability
3. Safety
4. Fuel efficiency
5. NVH
6. Looks(a nice looking car is always a delight)

1. Ford Figo Titanium Blu

My likes:

1. Superb diesel engine
2. 6 airbags
3. Fun to drive little car
4. Cheap Ford maintenance
5. Nice comfortable driver and front passenger seat
6. Extremely value for money at 9 lakhs on the road, I can replace it in 3 years and still won't lose much money
7. Superb fuel efficiency

My dislikes:

1. Bland interiors
2. No driver's armrest or elbow padding on the doors
3. Looks bland from the rear
4. Reports of existing owners about excessive oil consumption post 70k km
5. Uncertain future about Ford's service quality (Mahindra JV)
6. Below average resale value

2. Tata Altroz XZ+ Diesel

1. Smashing looks
2. 5* safety rating & build quality
3. Spacious cabin and decent interiors
4. Well equipped in the XZ+ trim
5. Established 1.5 diesel engine
6. Good fuel efficiency

Dislikes :

1. No sign of diesel cars in dealers yet
2. Interiors don't feel as plush as the Nexon somehow
3. Tata resale sucks. I have sold 5 Tatas of mine so far
4. Probability of niggles is high
5. 10.8 lakhs on a Tata hatchback doesn't seem wise

3. Hyundai Venue 1.5 SX(O)

1. Looks cute, personally like the proportions
2. Interior quality is good
3. Loaded with features!!
4. Hyundai A.S.S
5. Best NVH
6. 99bhp on a small car is going to be fast
7. Resale

Dislikes :

1. Lacks presence, just a hatchback on road
2. 11.5 lakhs seems a bit high, considering the new Creta 1.5 diesel base costs the same

4. Hyundai Creta E 1.5 diesel :

1. Engine
2. Adequately spacious for 4
3. Has good road presence despite the controversial design
4. Good interior quality though hard plastics are everywhere
5. Excellent resale

Dislikes :

1. Only base version falls in my budget. Doesn't even get ICE or rear park assist
2. Unsure about driving dynamics

5. Nexon XM diesel :

1. Facelift looks handsome
2. Safety and build quality - 5* car
3. Interiors are nice, front seats are comfortable
4. Punchy diesel engine

Dislike :

1. No XT variant . XM is 11 lakhs on road, Next variant is XZ which comes around 12.5 lakhs on road.
2. Tata niggles and A.S.S
3. Resale

I somehow don't like the EcoSport. I am also unsure if these vehicles will be as comfortable as the ciaz. I have driven the figo, Nexon and EcoSport. Nexon and EcoSport felt stiff over bad roads. Or is it worth living with the 5 year old car, fighting the urge for a new car? The old car will keep depreciating with the clicks on the odo and the years passing.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 11:40   #2
BANNED

re: A new diesel car under Rs. 11 lakhs?

How about the Verna facelift? Its considered better than a Ciaz.
Or the Figo Aspire 1.5? Thats a proper rocket, with a remap.
Or a XUV300 diesel? Has the Venue licked in pretty much every way.
turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 11:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sir, you are in the exact zone of the article below

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ownin...rade-swap.html (ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?).

I think none of the options are worthy replacement for the CIAZ, except on the safety front. If you want to replace the car owing to Safety, I would say please go ahead and do it.

If not, I think you should retain a trouble free car to as much extent as possible. Especially since you are not really "UPGRADING", which would have been a different discussion.
2000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 11:57   #4
BHPian

Since you drive considerable distance everyday, chose a car which has good suppotive seats and comfortable suspension. Would suggest to take long test drives of the cars you have mentioned.

If you are looking at the creta, add 1 lakh for the upgrades such as alloys and music system. Wheel caps on a 11 lakh car would look out of place in my opinion. If ok, then it is a good option. You can also look at the base seltos diesel.

If you find the ride quality of the EcoSport fine, go for it. While the figo is fun and would be same mechanically, its build is definitely inferior to the EcoSport. EcoSport will offer better resale when you plan to sell as it holds its value better than its siblings. Only issue with Ford is that you have to depend on the authorised service centres for the maintenance and parts but what helps is, they are easy to deal with, create no fuss in warranty replacements and running consumables are cheap. I have observed that the joint venture has negligible effect on their services.

If eyeing Tata and the altroz, the Nexon is a better bet.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 12:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Get a remap done and use the car for 2-3 years more. It's a reliable engine and there is no hybrid technology to worry about.
Altocumulus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 12:40   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted for the Tata ALTROZ XZ(O). This car with a torque monster diesel engine is a hoot. Dynamics are fantastic if one loves to drive.
Nexon sure is a good car, but Altroz is better for a driver as well as a passenger during the journey. Driving position is far more engaging. (For reference - I own the Nexon myself.)

Moreover - Nexon XM looses out on quite a lot of goodies - even steering mounted audio controls! The loaded to the brim Altroz is a far better package. The build quality & finesse on the Altroz is a full level above the Nexon.
Reinhard is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 12:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Hey BHPians,

I have a 2015 diesel Ciaz 1.3, which has run 1,17,000 km.

I somehow don't like the EcoSport. I am also unsure if these vehicles will be as comfortable as the ciaz. I have driven the figo, Nexon and EcoSport. Nexon and EcoSport felt stiff over bad roads. Or is it worth living with the 5 year old car, fighting the urge for a new car?
Remap the Ciaz and enjoy a hassle free ride for a few more years. No point selling a well maintained car when you can give it a fresh lease of life with a remap and some other cosmetic upgrades. Especially when it has been a comfortable ride and served you well over a lakh kilometers. None of the cars you mentioned are a great upgrade, except maybe the Creta (?).

And yes- the Ecosport's ride quality is pretty harsh, certainly not a great vehicle over bad roads when it comes to comfort. I rejected the Ecosport because of this very reason (as well as the hard and heavy clutch) when I was in the market for a new car last year. The Nexon I believe is marginally better in terms of ride quality as compared to the Ecosport.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 16th June 2020 at 12:57.
arindambasu13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 12:59   #8
AYP
Senior - BHPian

The Venue looks like the most balanced option here. It has pretty much all the features you would like at this price point, except for the rear wiper.

In fact I would say that it is a great value considering the base Creta costs the same and gets you no features. The combination of a good diesel engine in a comparatively light car, presence of great features and cute looks make it the best overall package IMO.

The Figo while having a great engine has little else going for it other than the handling part. From the description you have provided, it seems you aren't too keen on the Altroz and the Nexon and frankly speaking, I would choose the Venue or the Ecosport over the 2 Tatas.

Coming to the Creta, the E variant is quite a poverty spec variant(being upfront here). The silver lining is the projectors at the front. You get negligible features in a car costing 11.5-12L on road. Someone who is upgrading from an old Wagon-R or the Swift and similar cars may not mind the lack of features too much as he is anyway not accustomed to these missing features, but looking at your garage, it will be much more difficult for you to drive a car with a very restrictive feature set. Of course your opinion may vary, but this is what I feel.

If you are willing to spend some money and take some calculated risk(mainly on warranty related issues) after the purchase of the car by getting aftermarket alloys, a stereo, steering mounted controls etc. then the Creta can be converted to something palatable.

With all the above being said, it is always better to keep your existing car running as long as you are satisfied with it.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ownin...rade-swap.html (ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?)

Last edited by BlackPearl : 16th June 2020 at 16:49. Reason: Edited. Thanks.
AYP is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 13:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hey BHPians,

I have a 2015 diesel Ciaz 1.3, which has run 1,17,000 km. The car is pristine and runs as good as it was when new. But I have an itch for a new car that just wouldn't go. I tried re-reading the great thread on our forum about retaining the 5 year old car, and it makes me convince myself for a day or two but the new car bug bites again.

My usage :

100-120 km a day
80% solo, 20% - 2 occupants

Requirements:
1. Comfort & ride quality
2. Reliability
3. Safety
4. Fuel efficiency
5. NVH
6. Looks(a nice looking car is always a delight)
Even I'm in a similar situation of retaining the Ciaz or selling it off and getting a new SUV. Even after reading the thread about retaining the 5 year old car I could not convince myself as the sedans generally have low resale value and retaining the sedan only means selling the car after 7-8 years for peanuts. Out of all the cars you've mentioned above:
Creta is the only car that feels like a good upgrade from the ciaz but the ride quality is nowhere close to the ciaz and E variant loses out quite a lot of features compared to the Ciaz Zdi.
Nexon XM is also very basic although you get a small head unit compared to the creta.
Venue SX has almost all the features minus the push button start and rear wiper but the space at the back is tight and the ride quality is very stiff.
Other cars you've mentioned will only be a big downgrade compared to the Ciaz and instead of buying an Altroz or a Figo its better you retain the Ciaz.
We bought the Ecosport Titanium diesel last year and it feels way better than the Ciaz in all departments eventhough it's a small car compared to the Ciaz. Only downside is the stiff ride quality and average rear seat space.
A new diesel car under Rs. 11 lakhs?-20200517_213317.jpg
My suggestion would be to consider the Ecosport Titanium as it has more features than the Ciaz zdi,more engaging to drive,good fuel efficiency,refined engine and low maintenance costs.

Last edited by Sahilrai166 : 16th June 2020 at 13:11.
Sahilrai166 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 13:03   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Ford Figo Titanium Blu
I would suggest the Freestyle top variant - it has all the good virtues of the Figo, and a better looking car overall. And its probably the best in safety features with all areas covered, including airbags all-around, ESP etc.

Last edited by vb-saan : 16th June 2020 at 13:08.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 13:32   #11
BHPian

As someone already mentioned, I would suggest to keep the 1.3 DDIS for another 2-3 years and probably get a better variant of (Creta/Seltos etc) after saving.
Why do you specifically want diesel ? You can go for Skoda Rapid Rider, costing less than 9 lakhs OTR.
Ecosports fits here but then diesel Titanium variant also will go above 10 lakhs OTR.
Brezza anyone ?
ankitsharma is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 13:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Nexon among the options. Facelifted Nexon can stand beside the landrovers and still not look out of place. It has dethroned Ecosport as the best looking CSUV.

But I think you should go for an executive sedan than a CSUV. If your new car doesn't feel like an upgrade, you will get this itch again. And I don't think any of the options here will feel like an upgrade. A serious upgrade in safety will only come with six-seven airbags. You should upgrade to a sedan from next segment. If you are open to preowned, Jetta , Octavia are all worthy contenders. Even Verna from the same segment will feel like an upgrade since it comes loaded with features and have a version with six airbags.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 16th June 2020 at 14:01.
padmrajravi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 14:42   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted to retain the Ciaz.

I have driven the petrol Alpha variant quite a bit. I must say the Ciaz has a nice, well loaded cabin and is equally good in the ride and handling department. From a space and features point of view, every other option that you have listed will be a downgrade. That said, since you already have the Storme whenever you need extra space, your new purchase will still make sense.

I would suggest you test drive the Figo/Freestyle/Altroz if you are looking for performance and handling. Or you need a wee bit taller seating posture, then Nexon and Venue. Choose one which pulls at the heart and you shouldn't go wrong with any of these choices (Altroz is new and not proven yet). The higher the variant, the better you would feel while transitioning from the Ciaz. You could ignore the Creta E (too basic and you don't need the extra space).
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 14:49   #14
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ford Figo Titanium Blu
Ford Figo would certainly be the most entertaining to drive. Surprised you haven't considered the Amaze diesel CVT though i see it misses out on NVH & looks which is part of your criteria.

If i were you, I would hold onto the Ciaz till next year.
PPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 15:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Except Creta, all are downgrade in your list. Wait for 1-2 years and buy a midlife facelift of Creta and that too mid version.
ani_meher is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks