Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2020, 12:43   #31

Re: Does this Honda Civic seller sound fishy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
After two years I intend to send it to my dad who lives in Amritsar, his Vento 2011 Vento is already on her last legs and hopefully the Civic can run for him for a few years.
Since you have picked it up for peanuts, don't splurge it by servicing with Honda centre. Just do an engine oil change , clean the air filter and you are good to go.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th June 2020 at 13:03. Reason: Typos.
Old 28th June 2020, 13:42   #32
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride!
Civic being a global car, you may be able to find service manuals and parts with a bit of digging around on the internet. Even YouTube may have a few good videos on diagnosing and repairing common problems for the car.
My suggestion is subject to you having an interest in DIY projects and the time to carry them out, though.
Hope to read your ownership experience soon, once you have ironed out the initial niggles of the car.
Wishing you many enjoyable and safe rides with your new steed.
Old 28th June 2020, 15:47   #33
BHPian

Congrats armaan_singh ! You have acquired an enthusiasts car which all of us love to own any day. Regarding the steering issue get it checked ASAP , Civics has only few known complaints and the major one is steering related. It can cost you anywhere between 20-30k INR if it goes wrong.Wishing you good luck!

Last edited by kamilharis : 28th June 2020 at 15:48. Reason: Adjusted paragraph length
Old 28th June 2020, 17:18   #34
BHPian

I'm surpirsed at the sentiments, we are too quick to judge the man. Maybe he is really facing a problem like he says or maybe he's lying but we cant just say he's lying without proof or confirming the story.

Besides, I see your location as Delhi.

Why don't you check with Honda as they have pretty nice used Civics, i use Courtesy in Okhla Phase 2 and they have cars in stock, at good prices.

Otherwise give a try to Cars24 buying option, they are transparent regarding the car's condition and 08 Civics are sold for 70k to 1 lakh here. You're looking at prices too high.
alikidwhy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 19:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It seems fine for the most part, the only nagging issue which I am feeling is that the steering wheel is too heavy, Honda cars are known for their supremely light steering that gets stiffer on the highway, but in my car its just too heavy and feels more like a non power steering vehicle especially at low speeds and while taking u turns it just feels like its under too much stress.

I really hope I'm not looking at a big expense here.
I had owned a Civic for 7 years from 2006. One of the finest I have owned. Coming to the steering, the Civic never had a light steering. It was much on the heavier side always. If I remember it had a conventional hydraulic power steering rather than an electric one. I fact I loved that steering and it gave a really good feel. So, it may be just normal, you can probably compare with other Civics to get an idea.
dinu2506 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 20:29   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post

5-6K? Are you re-registering the car in a different state? For ownership transfer within the state of original registration, agents charge 2K in my part of the country. It cost me Rs 525 (Yes Five Two Five) when I used the online route to complete the ownership transfer on my own.
With all due respect, the dealer is not quoting too high a price. I transferred my car earlier this year and it cost me 4k.

I think that’s the prevailing rate in Delhi.
alikidwhy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 23:12   #37
BHPian

Quote:
After two years I intend to send it to my dad who lives in Amritsar, his Vento 2011 Vento is already on her last legs and hopefully the Civic can run for him for a few years.
Congratulations on the purchase! Wishing you many happy miles with it!

Compared to the headlight, the paint job looks very fresh. Did you check whether any painting has been done lately?

Also, a 2007 Honda Civic replacing an “ageing” 2011 Vento! Is there any issues with the Vento?
Old 29th June 2020, 01:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:

It seems fine for the most part, the only nagging issue which I am feeling is that the steering wheel is too heavy, Honda cars are known for their supremely light steering that gets stiffer on the highway, but in my car its just too heavy and feels more like a non power steering vehicle especially at low speeds and while taking u turns it just feels like its under too much stress.
Steering on the Civic is a hydraulic unit compared to electronic unit on the city and the likes.

Steering pump failure is a common problem with 1st gen Civic.

Get transmission fluid replaced and you might feel a change. Don’t expect any big change even if there is one since it’s a hydraulic unit.
Old 29th June 2020, 07:32   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Old civics are legendary for steering rack issues so get that checked. Expensive to replace too.

The second part is - you really shouldn't be topping up AC gas, that is a closed system and the only reason for gas levels to drop to the level that a topup is required is some sort of leak (eg the compressor needs to be replaced). Take it to a competent AC mechanic.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 17:44   #40
BHPian

Quote:

Congratulations and hope you got the steering issue sorted. To me it looks like the Power steering fluid may be low due to a leakage. A common problem in older civics. You can get it repaired if this is the issue..
Otherwise the handling & steering control of Civic is very precise and awesome. I am the first owner of a 2009 Civic and even now the steering and handling of the car is brilliant. There is a PS leakage and I have to top it up every 3 odd months and when the fluid is low, the steering feels like the way you have described.
Here is wishing you many enjoyable miles and Happy motoring ! Cheers !
Timothy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 18:17   #41

Having a look through the pictures, it seems you have got yourself a well maintained Civic. Hope it turns out to be that way, too.

This was one of my most favorite designs back in the day, and the interiors at the time were unparalleled in terms of styling and execution. Looks unique and attractive even to this day.

Just reminded of the days when petrol engines ruled the roost, and Honda was leading the market in almost every segment they were at (with the Accord, Civic and CR-V being best-sellers at their respective price-points).

Wish you the very best!
Old 30th June 2020, 12:29   #42
BHPian

Update as on 30/6 :

So I've owned the civic for a little over a week now , and it has spent more time at the local workshop then it has with me.
To be honest, I love how that pure petrol motor responds to even the slightest throttle input, but i am now beginning to realise that this was indeed an impulse purchase.

The following is what I've experienced in the 10 days of ownership :

1. Within 2 days of purchase, the steering wheel became unusable at slow speeds, it felt like the car would burst if I applied any more pressure, so took it to Heera Motors in Gurgaon(as recommended by various BHPians in their threads) and he diagnosed the problem as a faulty steering wheel pump which needs replacement, he charged me 8k for the same, and since the car would need to sit with him for a couple of days - i decided to let him do the basic servicing as well, which included new rear brake pads, wheel balancing, alignment, steering wheel oil, and all the normal basic service top ups.
Total Bill including labor came to 14K.

After 3 days of being away from her, when I finally picked her back up from heera, the steering wheel did seem "Slightly" lighter but oddly, the steering wheel would keep moving now you know when you fix the tilt adjuster in its place the steering wheel is supposed to remain static but now with a fair bit of pressure it could be moved up and down and that was disconcerting to say the least. I couldn't say for sure if this problem was there earlier, but the workshop guy said it certainly was. I had little option but to pay and leave. Now I had a functioning steering but also one that rattled even with the slightest bump in the car.

2. A few days pass and taking u turns is a lot simpler now, but it doesn't prevent my OCD from kicking in, because everytime I would turn the steering i could hear a hissing sound in the back to the point it would get annoying.

Anyway with lockdown easing up I decided to take my mum and dad for a spin to show them the new house I am about to rent a little further away from the city, they instantly fall in love with the car and its plush ride. After we leave from the house, I make one U turn and this time I hear a rather uncomfortable sound of some wires getting entangled, of course with the folks with me, i need this to go as smoothly as possible, we keep moving and are about to get to a crossing so my dad asks me to honk before proceeding and the horn doesn't respond, I try it a few more times and it still doesn't work. Now I like to call myself a sedate driver and I hate using the horn anyway but in a country like ours its kind of a mandate, so I tell my folks that we will quickly get the horn replaced, they agree and we make a stop at the same workshop, I simply tell him to replace the horn, he quotes a price, I don't even haggle and I ask him to do it, after the long 45 minute process he puts in the new horn and it still doesn't work, he then says it's an internal wiring issue and I'd need to leave the car again and so with a heavy heart I drive at 20KMPH and drop my parents back home and come back and leave the car at the workshop again, and pick it up 2 more days later after an apparent "Rewired Steering wheel" and a working horn, and 4K more knocked out of my savings account. Things feel okayish now but I can still hear the hissing sound when I turn the wheel and it really annoys me to no end, but just the thought of coughing out another rupee for this car helps me ignore my OCD.

3. I got third party insurance from Acko with a personal accident cover for 9,600 and i got rear parking sensors installed for Rs 1,800.

4. Now I'm kind of getting used to this, so if I was to guess the next expense is going to be the power window motors within the next month or so if I'm lucky.

5. So if I do the math here : 1,50,000 + 14,000 + 4,000 + 9,600 + 1,800 = 1,80,000 approx for a 2nd owner 112,500 run 07 civic.
And this is the first 10 days expense, God knows whats in store in the next 10 days, I am without a shadow of doubt beginning to regret this decision not entirely because of the expenses but also because I feel she is not a reliable vehicle, if I take a trip she has all the abilities to strand me in the middle of the highway which is really not what I needed from a car at this point.

She may as well be miss universe, but a bedridden miss universe isn't exactly an ideal situation for all intents and purposes ; will share some photos and videos soon along with further updates (If any) .

Last edited by armaan_singh : 30th June 2020 at 12:34.
armaan_singh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 14:25   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Friend, regarding the civic. Please stick to the facelifted model. You will be able to maintain ownership longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Friend, the civic is an eye candy car to look at but a very difficult car to live with. The first gen was a horrible car dynamics wise, the facelifted was slighlt better (2010 onwards)

Trust me a Swift first gen is equally fun to own compared to a Civic. The Civic is like a tantrum throwing blonde Girlfriend / Boyfriend. Will look great and get you the attention, but only you will know the pain inside (when the low end performance will suck, when it will scrape most speed breakers, when the MID will show 7 KMPL, highways will be 11 kmpl Tops, the boot is useless, when the night drives will blind you even from cars like a Wagon R).

But all said and done, the car will make you turn everytime you will park and walk towards your house.
Quote:
Update as on 30/6 :

So I've owned the civic for a little over a week now , and it has spent more time at the local workshop then it has with me.
To be honest, I love how that pure petrol motor responds to even the slightest throttle input, but i am now beginning to realise that this was indeed an impulse purchase.
Hey, as an ex-owner, I know the limitations of the car pretty well, but yours seems to have issues which the Civic typically doesn't report. Did you use the checklist during the delivery? With the errors you have reported, the car dashboard lights must have highlighted these issues.

I would say, stick to the car and iron out the niggles, you are too deep to quit now. The engine and suspension and body line seems to be ok with your car.

Get these smaller things done over the next 2-3 months and plan to keep the car for 2 years to ensure ROI.

If you still dont like the car 6 months down the line, list it on OLX and get rid of it. Check out the Civic Maintenance thread, that has a wealth of knowledge.

Last edited by 2000rpm : 30th June 2020 at 14:30.
2000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 00:44   #44
BHPian

Quote:
If 2011 Vento is in the last legs, how will a 2007 Civic be more young?

If what I read is right, when the car turns 15 years, the Delhi RTO will stop issuing NOC. So, legally, you can't drive this car anywhere. Hence, if you are interested to keep the car legally, it would be good if you get this car outside of Delhi before 2022.
Old 4th July 2020, 01:11   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk View Post
If 2011 Vento is in the last legs, how will a 2007 Civic be more young?

If what I read is right, when the car turns 15 years, the Delhi RTO will stop issuing NOC. So, legally, you can't drive this car anywhere. Hence, if you are interested to keep the car legally, it would be good if you get this car outside of Delhi before 2022.
The Vento has not been kept well, its clocked 275K on the Odo, the age of a car is always not a factor for its road worthiness, maintenance is really important too, and the Vento hasn't recieved much attention at all.

Yes I will transfer the Civic in the first half of 2022.
armaan_singh is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks