2010 Jazz with 71,000 km 185 81.50%
2015 Amaze with 5,000 km 42 18.50%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2020, 19:18   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda Jazz or Honda Amaze - Which one do I sell off? EDIT: Jazz sold

Dear BHPians,

I have to take a call between selling off either our Honda Amaze or our Honda Jazz. Question for the house - which one do I sell and which one do I retain.

Basic Facts:

Honda Jazz or Honda Amaze - Which one do I sell off? EDIT: Jazz sold-screenshot-23.png

Our joint family is getting smaller as it runs through its natural cycles of both the young and the old. It is clear we do not need 4 cars. Our current garage is Lexus ES300h (for my Missus); Volvo XC60 (for me); Amaze (for my aunt & mother) and the Jazz (beater, maid of all work etc). My mother is now so old that her moving out on her own is completely ruled out. My aunt will move over to live with her child who is returning to New Delhi after a long break. Kids have moved out (Statutory Warning: Launching a kid off into independent life seems more difficult than a ISRO satellite launch!).

So with that snap shot of my family affairs we come back to the cars. One view is sell the Jazz as it is the older and more used up of the two and has only up to 2025 to go under NCR rules. Some say retain the Jazz as Honda cars of 2010 had better manufacturing standards than those of 2015. The Amaze strikes me as easier to drive on stick shift and shock absorbers. My driving on either will be very little. It will be driven mainly by the drivers we employ.

Would love to hear the views of TBHP members. My thanks in advance for your time and effort.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 17th September 2020 at 19:19.
V.Narayan is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 07:58   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Honda Jazz or Honda Amaze - Which one do I sell off? EDIT: Jazz sold

Would suggest selling off the Jazz. Reason = It's a decade old and has run 70,000 km. All the big wear & tear replacements will start coming soon. In comparison, your Amaze with merely 5,000 km is as good as a brand new car. While the Jazz might be better built, there is no comparison between a 70,000 km car of superior build & a 5-year newer car with just 5,000 on the clock. It is the latter which will provide a more fuss-free service which is a must for a beater.

Also, with the 15-year limit you Delhi-NCR BHPians have, the Amaze will be able to serve as a beater car for much longer. On the other hand, you will have to sell the Jazz in a couple of years.

Nicely organised post, with properly presented data . Typically organised V.Narayan.

Adding a poll to your thread .
GTO is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 08:46   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Dear BHPians,

I have to take a call between selling off either our Honda Amaze or our Honda Jazz. Question for the house - which one do I sell and which

Would love to hear the views of TBHP members. My thanks in advance for your time and effort.
No confusion from my end, Amaze is new and hardly run so keep it. Can be also used of the grocery run that Jazz used to do.

Jazz is relatively older (70k is still not too old in terms of car life) so I would sell it off. Both been honda makes the comparison easier.(and also you having other vehicles at your disposal for other needs)

OT:
I guess your Mother(Saas) is not much into cars else how would she have agreed to Amaze when you wife gets Lexus, if it would have been my Mom nothing short of Rolls Royce would do.

Last edited by SideView : 18th September 2020 at 08:53.
SideView is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 09:02   #4
BHPian

Voted for selling the Jazz.

I am yet to think of a reason to retain the older car but I have a strong feeling you're unable to easily decide due to sentimental reasons, which I am also guilty of whenever I need to decide (still retain all my phones and their boxes).
In case you like the Jazz better than Amaze (my best guess would be much roomier interior in the Jazz), you may sell both and get a new Jazz (maybe in automatic if you can), but you will lose quite some amount on selling a 5 year old Amaze.
Quote:
Launching a kid off into independent life seems more difficult than a ISRO satellite launch!
This is in progress for my sibling and I could not agree more!
Researcher is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 09:07   #5
Team-BHP Support

Sell the Jazz. Couple of reasons: not only it is the significantly elder of the two, the Amaze has a bigger boot and hence, can be a little more versatile, especially since it is the beater car of the household.

The only point only you can be the best judge of is comfort; I'd imagine the Jazz does tad better than the Amaze.

Not to create trouble in paradise, have you considered selling both?

Or, sell the three (along with the Volvo) and get yourself a nice upgrade. Imagine what a lovely thread that would make!
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 09:14   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
OT:
I guess your Mother(Saas) is not much into cars else how would she have agreed to Amaze when you wife gets Lexus, if it would have been my Mom nothing short of Rolls Royce would do.
You are spot on. Both my mother and my wife are car-challenged. In August 2018 my mother and her sister, both in their 80s, were dispatched off to meet another sister, in Faridabad, who is scrapping 90. Fed and burped as they were saying their goodbyes some distant male relative piped up and complimented my mother on her new Lexus car. She promptly corrected him and said, "nahin beta this is a Mercedes". When the chap insisted she replied, "maybe it is a Lexus model Mercedes".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
Voted for selling the Jazz.
I am yet to think of a reason to retain the older car but I have a strong feeling you're unable to easily decide due to sentimental reasons
Very true. You are a keen judge of people. I wrote and still maintain a thread on the Jazz but never did it for the Amaze. The Amaze looks to me like a giant sat on its face.
Quote:
In case you like the Jazz better than Amaze (my best guess would be much roomier interior in the Jazz), you may sell both and get a new Jazz (maybe in automatic if you can), but you will lose quite some amount on selling a 5 year old Amaze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Or, sell the three (along with the Volvo) and get yourself a nice upgrade. Imagine what a lovely thread that would make!
Retired man; living off my savings. Can't afford to lose too much money. Gotta scrape that last piece of soap out of the soap case you know.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 18th September 2020 at 09:19.
V.Narayan is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 09:14   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I suggest you get rid of the Amaze. As a fellow owner of the old Jazz, I’ll say that they just don’t make cars like that anymore. Everything about that car: from the seats to the visibility to the low dashboard to the magic seats, it’s all engineered to perfection.

My Jazz has done twice the mileage yours has done. Going by my experience, your car still has quite some time to go before it starts asking for clutch or suspension or brake work. Enjoy it for as long as you can.

I am in a similar dilemma to yours, look to let go either a Jazz or a diesel City, both close to 150k km. I have decided to retain the Jazz for another couple of years and sell the City.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 18th September 2020 at 09:17.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 09:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
She promptly corrected him and said, "nahin beta this is a Mercedes". When the chap insisted she replied, "maybe it is a Lexus model Mercedes".
Still much better than a friend's bitter half, who, on seeing a Jaguar, asked "Since when did Puma start making cars?"

Do you have to sell either car? In this depressed economy, getting a good price would be difficult. Maybe loaning the Jazz to a family member (who has moved out or doesn't have a vehicle of his/her own) could be an option.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 18th September 2020 at 10:19.
comfortablynumb is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 10:06   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Very clear - part with the Jazz.

Reasons :

1. The low run Amaze will barely fetch any money even with only 5k kms on the odo. My friend who owns a 2016 Amaze S MT with just 7200kms on the odo got offers of just 4-4.25 L in Gujarat. He eventually got an NOC and took the car with him to his home state on superannuating.

2. The Amaze is the only well proportioned sub 4.0m sedan in India with all round capabilities - easy maneuverability, flexibility to hold baggage, reasonable seat comfort to name a few.

3. The Amaze with just 5k kms will barely require any upkeep with low usage.

4. The old Jazz has its own fan following, and someone who's seen the car on this forum will just fall for it. A hatch depreciates less.

Last edited by vigsom : 18th September 2020 at 10:08. Reason: addition
vigsom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 10:42   #10
BHPian

Amaze = Saas car?
Saas can no longer drive?

In that case, this is a no brainer.
Sell off the Amaze and enjoy marital bliss ever after. I suspect every husband (married long enough) will understand the reasoning behind this counter intuitive logic.

Not everything is about money. Especially for husbands, it is about the wife.

On further introspection, I suspect you are asking the wrong audience.
Ask your wife and do what she tells you to do.
RedTerrano is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 11:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

I'm going to go against the popular opinion of selling the Jazz.
Reason = The Amaze has hardly run and since there is no use of it (because your mother-in-law can't go out alone and your aunt is moving out) you'll get a good price by selling it now.

Along with that, the Jazz is a beater and has space equivalent to that of the Amaze. With it crossing over 10 years, it is easy enough to maintain by servicing it at a good FNG and keeping it for 5 more years.
akash_v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 11:54   #12
BHPian

The best and the most sensible decision would be to sell the Jazz off IMO. The car is old and is nearing the NGT duration while the Amaze is still new
( A BHPian's car at 5k kms is none short of New). The amaze can easily replace the Jazz. May be if your SAAS is a bit skeptical for another car for herself, get her a damn Alto. She would never complain.
chiefpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 12:01   #13
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Jazz is the superior car no doubt. But since it is 5 years and 66,000 kms older, it does make more sense to retain the Amaze.

Of course, not all decisions are taken with only rationale in mind
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 12:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

No brainer, let go off the Jazz... unless your usage relies on the flexibility of the magic seats which doesn't seem to be the case.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 18th September 2020 at 12:14.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 13:37   #15
BHPian

Here's another permutation - sell both and get a newer Jazz (keeping in mind that you want "good old", but not too old) and you could also enjoy shopping for a car that you love so much all over again. All the best!
mvadg is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks