Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2020, 14:30   #1
BHPian

How to replace a Fiat Linea T-Jet?

Hi everyone

I will keep it short. I am in the market to replace my Linea T-jet (2015). These are the options that i have been thinking about:

1)
Yaris

CVT
ASS

I am looking for an AT. And the other thing that could be a reaction to my Linea ownership experience, is the trust factor, the after sales service. Yaris scores heavily on these two counts.

I know Yaris or most other cars are going to be lessers cars than Linea but i need an AT and fuss free service experience, reliability and peace of mind.

2)
Keep it for 3-5 years more

This thought cropped up after i got my car evaluated for sale recently. The offer was horrible to say the least.

Linea, though a MT, has a super light clutch and its fine overall. If it had a hard clutch that would have definitely hastened my decision to sell it.

Yes they charge lots of money every time she goes for service and till now parts availability has not been an issue though mine is in pristine condition and i have never had to replace any parts.

3)
Nexon 2020 Diesel MT

I like the facelift, especially the white top on red and black top on white ones. I hear that clutch is light. Is that the case with Diesel as well? Will have to TD to make sure.

I would run and buy Nexon if it was a proper AT. Don’t understand why they chose AMT.

4)
Any other vehicle?

I can sort of replicate the Linea experience with Rapid or Jetta maybe. Or Ford to a lesser extent. But that will not solve the problem as i should rather keep Linea then. I need trustworthy, no fuss service and I don’t want to go middle ground there.

So, thanks.
nandadevieast is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 19:31   #2
BHPian

re: How to replace a Fiat Linea T-Jet?

You have indicated that you like the Tata Nexon but would have preferred a proper AT rather than the AMT it comes with.

Well there is a talk of Nexon getting released with DCT gear sometime soon (like this year). Just google for Nexon DCT. I will suggest that you wait till the end of this year and if that option becomes available, then go and test drive it.
catchjyoti is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 20:04   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post
2)
Keep it for 3-5 years more
Yes they charge lots of money every time she goes for service and till now parts availability has not been an issue though mine is in pristine condition and i have never had to replace any parts.
Unless you absolutely cannot drive the manual car, I will suggest to stick with the car but rely on 99rpm and find a good FNG who knows their way through the T-Jet. You seem to be happy with the car minus the major issue of service costs and minor issue of automatic which the light clutch seems to somewhat ease. You may wait this pandemic out unless absolutely necessary to get a replacement. You will save on the higher cost of a new car as well as higher depreciation on a 5 year old car with low resale. A T-Jet is not easy to replace.

However in case you have a high usage, I will suggest to look into the S-Cross AT also if you are not averse to Marutis. The ownership would be fuss-free. You will get the average 4 speed AT, but the build and handling is far better than most Marutis, although equally less solid-feeling than T-Jet. The previous gen, which we got as the SX4 in India, also was co-developed with Fiat so you do better than average handling as per my experience with SX4 for 3 years as well as the Linea and S-Cross for short trips. Again, it will not be a T-Jet.

Last edited by Researcher : 30th September 2020 at 20:09.
Researcher is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 20:31   #4
BHPian

I also like Rapid AT. Seems like everything Linea is, and an AT too. But, I will again be trapped in that black hole of service/peace of mind.

To be honest, it is a bit psychological for me. My car has not been unreliable at all. But i am always worried when undertaking a longer journey.
nandadevieast is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 20:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also like Rapid AT. Seems like everything Linea is, and an AT too. But, I will again be trapped in that black hole of service/peace of mind.

To be honest, it is a bit psychological for me. My car has not been unreliable at all. But i am always worried when undertaking a longer journey.
It's difficult to replace a T-Jet. Period.

The Rapid AT has not only a TC but a Japanese one ( read reliable , fingers crossed). I TD'd one this weekend and it's pretty good and lot of fun.

With Skoda you just need to show proactive love rather than being reactive.

The other option is the All new Honda City CVT

Last edited by Altocumulus : 30th September 2020 at 20:55.
Altocumulus is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 20:50   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Humble suggestion :

1. find a good fng
2. join a few knowledgeable fiat forums to be aware of gotchas and help carry out preventive maintenance
3. Order regular service original spares online, ahead of time

You are sorted to keep this gem of a car for longer, enjoy the driving pleasure and save yourself a nice chunk of money by not buying another car.
venkyhere is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 21:01   #7
BHPian

One thing that you haven't mentioned is the dynamics. Show me one car today that is as sorted as Linea with that hydraulic PS
akshay380 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 21:04   #8
BHPian

I agree with Alto cumulus and venkyhere. You are going to have a hard time finding anything that gives you the driving pleasure that the Jet does without having to dole out a huge chunk of cash.

I too have a 2015 Tjet which has been remapped with a bigger IC, and has still been very wallet friendly to maintain.

Last edited by keroo1099 : 30th September 2020 at 21:16.
keroo1099 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 21:49   #9
Team-BHP Support

Once you drive a Fiat, it is very difficult to like any other car in that segment! The build quality and the driving experience are so different from the Japanese cars. As a few others have mentioned, it is better to hold on to the Linea for now and wait for the Nexon DCT. If you are not able to control the urge to change, I would suggest to broaden the options and try out a few more cars. You might just find out the perfect car!

What is the absolute limit of your budget?
BlackPearl is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 22:03   #10
BHPian

Replacing a linea and that too a t-jet isn't an easy affair in today's auto market.
It's a 2015 model and the best decision would be to retain it and use it for 2-3 more years at the least. Fiat's age gracefully.
If you are too keen on replacing it then look at Rapid/Vento or the Duster/Kicks turbo. Nexon is a good car as well but I would still rate the Ecosport ahead in the fun department.
Waspune is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 22:16   #11

I'd say you can keep it for at least another 5-9 years. Its a good car which should last some time. Keep the fluids and mechanical's up to date. Even a 3-5 lakh repair expense would help you save a lot of money now with which you can get a good hybrid or electric later.
raunak2X90 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 22:36   #12
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone

4)
Any other vehicle?

I can sort of replicate the Linea experience with Rapid or Jetta maybe. Or Ford to a lesser extent. But that will not solve the problem as i should rather keep Linea then. I need trustworthy, no fuss service and I don’t want to go middle ground there.
Try TDing the Duster turbo petrol. Has an AT too though pricey. May not recreate the magic of the T-jet but might still be fun to drive. No fuss ownership may not be a given.
ike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 23:17   #13
BHPian

Thanks and i see majority of you are suggesting i should keep it.

@blackpearl about 10 i say.

I think i will only sell it if i get a fair price. Or i keep it for some time.

Rapid AT: 9.49 (base)
Yaris AT: 9.68 (base, J option)

Which one of these two will you choose as the price is same. I am thinking i will start TD’ing few cars any which way.
nandadevieast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 23:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
As a fellow Tjet owner, if your car is trouble free till now, most probably, it will be same in future as well. Just do the preventive/scheduled maintenance and you should be good.

Mine will turn 7 in another 3 months. Service bills are quite affordable till now.

Regarding worry during longer journey, just get it checked from a fng before setting out and take a MOPAR RSA.

Lastly, it's a machine and it may break down. Enjoy till the time it doesn't

Last edited by abhi_tjet : 30th September 2020 at 23:33.
abhi_tjet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 00:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks and i see majority of you are suggesting i should keep it.

@blackpearl about 10 i say.

I think i will only sell it if i get a fair price. Or i keep it for some time.

Rapid AT: 9.49 (base)
Yaris AT: 9.68 (base, J option)

Which one of these two will you choose as the price is same. I am thinking i will start TD’ing few cars any which way.
Firstly, it will be very difficult to get a fair price for your Tjet.
Secondly, you are not going to enjoy driving any other car in that budget because of that suspension and hydraulic steering. (We also have a Nexon at home.)

The worry on car breaking down during long journey is rather misplaced. Have a 7 year old Tet and mostly do 3000 km round trip (Pune to Kerala) at least once a year. Fiat also sells you a maximum 7 year Road Side Assistance as well.

Unless, there is an absolute must need of a AT, really dont see a point in changing the car at all.

Last edited by JayKis : 1st October 2020 at 00:08.
JayKis is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed