Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2020, 16:44   #31
BHPian

Re: Petrol car under 8.20 lakhs ex-showroom

You already have a city runner in jazz, no need for another hatchback in polo or i20 and sonets. Go for a car which can take you anywhere with safety and that is Tata Nexon. The car is alive and if customers do not reward a well built car then why would any manufacturer want to improve. The service is on par with hyundai and better than skoda, vw.
Sran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 18:16   #32
BHPian

My pick will be EcoSport ambiente. It’s fun to drive, has more space than Polo, maintenance costs are also low compared to VW. And added GC makes it great for highway usage as well. Compared to Nexon, it gets a much more refined petrol engine. Compared to Marutis, it’s much more exciting to drive. XUV300 will be my second pick. It’s also brilliant to drive and you can even get the W6 variant.
Aakash118 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 18:53   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Buy a red polo tsi and rev away into happiness.

I also would suggest Figo 1.5 diesel and Altroz 1.5 diesel. All rounders!!
PrasannaDhana is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 20:06   #34

As many have commented here, EcoSport is the best product on your list. It has the best engine on your list, with a great build quality and safety features. It is going to be fitted with a new infotainment system. Contrary to popular belief, Ford actually has a pretty decent service expenditure.

Also, Ford has no plans of exiting India. It has restructured its goal. I can vouch for this. I work for Ford

The only negative is the ageing design. Its old, and there is a facelift on the way.

But under 8.2 lacs, you can go for only the base model. Instead you can try and consider the Magnite. Looks good. Engine might be underpowered though.
Kaniamluap is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 20:18   #35
BHPian

If you could wait for the year end and also if your company policy permits , S cross and Ciaz could perhaps fit into the limit of 8.2 lacs Ex showroom price considering the likelihood of year end discounts by Maruti /Nexa.

S cross is especially a very solid and underated vehicle with the feel of a European car.The 1.5 litre petrol engine is quite driveable.Although ,if you are looking out for turbo petrol vehicle,Rapid and Nexon are the only contenders but in separate body styles.
whitecloud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 20:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

I would like to caution you that after experiencing the smoothness of the Jazz, you may find most other products a bit coarse except for Marutis. So You should probably go for a bigger/better product like say a Duster/Kicks 1.3 where you will get more bang for the buck as compared to the sub compact SUVs.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 00:49   #37
BHPian

I would say wait for the Nissan Magnite. It looks gorgeous, you might like it and for 8.2 lakhs ex showroom it should be feature loaded as well. It comes with a 100 bhp turbo petrol engine, CVT automatic and most importantly ESP.

If you cannot wait then you can go with either Ecosport or polo. If you want a sporty car go for polo if you prefer butch looks and little more space then Ecosport.

I would not recommend Hyundai, Maruti or Tata.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th October 2020 at 04:23. Reason: Typo
Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 02:19   #38
BHPian

I would recommend you to go for the Brezza as it's reliable, has high ground clearance, and it will be a decent experience to own it as you're planning to keep it for 5+ years. You can also take a look at the Grand i10 or wait for the all-new i20.
Merc_Freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 08:25   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet0051 View Post
Do not exclude Kia/Hyundai for the sole reason that it had 1 off issue in friend's car.
Even Toyota cars breakdown but probability iwill be much lesser han others but don't exclude Kia/Hyundai solely coz of this. They are extremely good cars
I didn't exclude Hyundai only due to my friends issue. Similar issues were already highlighted in our forum

To be fair to Hyundai, my in laws are using a 2017 model Xcent which is trouble free with almost 40k kms on the Odo.

As you and several others in our forum have rightly pointed out, almost any car can turn out to be stuff nightmares are made of.

But for some reason the heart doesn't accept Hyundai ( though the mind is all for giving it a chance)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet0051 View Post
drive Sonet, and Ecosport. And take your pic.
The sonet/venue turbo engines don't fall in my company finance limits. The 1.2l engines felt tame in the i20, so I expect a similar performance. I guess I am left with Ecosport
Voodooblaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 14:00   #40
BHPian

Below 3 cars suits the best for your provided budget

Tata Nexon XM S(Petrol)
Ex-Showroom Price Rs.8,36,500

Tata Altroz XT (Diesel)
Ex-Showroom Price Rs.8,19,000

Ford Ecosport 1.5 Petrol Ambiente (Petrol) (Base Model)
Ex-Showroom Price Rs.824,648

Comparing this 3 cars I would go with the Altroz XT Diesel eyes closed. The next preference would be the Nexon XM(S). Have ruled out the Brezza as it is just barebones. A quick comparo of the basics of all 4 cars will show us the clear winner and VFM car for that money.

Engine/Perfomance
Petrol car under 8.20 lakhs ex-showroom-c1-engine.jpg

Features
Petrol car under 8.20 lakhs ex-showroom-c1-comfy-2.jpg

Petrol car under 8.20 lakhs ex-showroom-c1-comfy.jpg

Comfort
Petrol car under 8.20 lakhs ex-showroom-c1-ent-2.jpg

Petrol car under 8.20 lakhs ex-showroom-c1-ent.jpg
kamilharis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 19:02   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooblaster View Post
I know it's not the rational part of me that decided to exclude Hyundai/Kia.

A colleague had purchased an i20 in Nov 2019. The purchase was mainly for the bundle of joy they were about to receive soon.

Sometime around september 2020, when they were returning after a routine health checkup from a nearby hospital, the car simply stopped in middle of the road and turned off. Since there was not much traffic , they weren't rear ended. The vehicle couldn't be easily pushed. With effort of a few men in the road side, it was rolled away from the road, and a nearby garage was contacted.

They inspected and came to the conclusion the clutch assembly had gone kaput. They advised to call Hyundai ASS. The vehicle was towed away and the defect replaced under warranty. This happened in a 10 month car with less than 5000kms on the odo.

The dealership didn't divulge the exact problem, and simply said that clutch issues are seen in some new I20's.

My colleague is not a vehicle enthusiast, and simply uses car to commute. He also religiously sticks to the manufacturers service schedule. So, it mustn't be due to lack of maintenance. In any case, the car is almost brand new.

He didn't follow up the issue with Hyundai further as the vehicle was to be used regularly.

So this kind of put me off Hyundai/Kia

Statistically there is very less probability of getting a problematic Hyundai, but somehow the heart doesn't heed the mind

I bought a Hyundai Xcent Petrol, with company fitted CNG, attached with UBER. NEVER had a problem.

Bought Hyundai Creta Diesel, been driving it for 4 years. Brilliant & NEVER has a problem.

Friend has a 2018 i20 Diesel, no problem and its done 85000 kms

Cousin bought 2019 i20 petrol (point A to B kind of user) No problem.

Having said that, just trying to reiterate that Hyundai is dependable & inexpensive to run/maintain.

Guess your buddy had a stroke of not so good luck.

My 2 cents
Ricky_63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 19:20   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
Below 3 cars suits the best for your provided budget

Tata Nexon XM S(Petrol)
Ex-Showroom Price Rs.8,36,500

Tata Altroz XT (Diesel)
Ex-Showroom Price Rs.8,19,000

Ford Ecosport 1.5 Petrol Ambiente (Petrol) (Base Model)
Ex-Showroom Price Rs.824,648

Comparing this 3 cars I would go with the Altroz XT Diesel eyes closed. The next preference would be the Nexon XM(S). Have ruled out the Brezza as it is just barebones. A quick comparo of the basics of all 4 cars will show us the clear winner and VFM car for that money.
Thank you so much for the detailed post.

Will have to rule out the diesel variant on account of the limited usage.

Nexon will have to test driven soon.
Voodooblaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 19:48   #43
BHPian

Test drove ecosport today.

Test-drive mule was expectedly titanium +

Ecosport impressed me favourably after Polo

Vehicle in my budget is the ecosport ambient

Since I was at the Ford Showroom, test drove aspire and freestyle. Both seemed VFM. The top titanium + variants with 6 airbags were very reasonably priced. Aspire had a plusher ride than ecosport and freestyle.

Unfortunately aspire comes only in beige interiors. In the top variant, having 6 airbags we won't be able to add seat covers. Hope ford changes at least the seat colors. Thankfully Ford seems to has given up on the the chocolate brown interiors for dashboard.

Doors of the freestyle and aspire don't have the resounding thud of ecosport. Also the sales team don't know about the ncap ratings of freestyle and Aspire.

Does anyone have info regarding ncap ratings of india spec freestyle and aspire?

The 3 cylinder engines were noisy , but NVH levels inside the cabin was reasonable. Comparatively VW seems to have done a better job with TSI.
Old 26th October 2020, 20:25   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Test drove ecosport

Does anyone have info regarding ncap ratings of india spec freestyle and aspire?

3 stars if I remember correctly.

In my opinion, freestyle titanium plus 1.5 diesel with 6 airbags is the best option.

Fun to drive
Spacious than a polo
Extremely value for money
That engine is a gem - fast, refined as well as fuel efficient
6 airbags, ESP etc.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 20:35   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Three stars and bodyshell was rated as incapable of withstanding further load. This is for the pre-facelift Ford aspire but I think the rating will apply to both the pre-facelift and facelifted Ford Figo twins.

http://www.globalncap.org/wp-content...-2-Airbags.pdf

At least in the base version that GNACP tested, the damn thing didn't even have Front seatbelt pretensioners .
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed