Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2020, 15:07   #1
BHPian

Petrol car under 8.20 lakhs ex-showroom

I am in the market for a new petrol car.

Budget is 8.20 lacs ex showroom kerala (can't be stretched , as company is providing vehicle cost with very liberal repayment tenure and ex showroom capped at 8.20)

I have shortlisted the following (they come across all genres). All are MT:

1. VW Polo 1.0 litre TSI
2. Tata Nexon
3. Brezza/urban cruiser
4. Ertiga
5. Ecosport

Expected monthly running is 400kms {due to covid } and hopefully 800kms or more in a post covid world. Don't need the car for daily commute, as I have relocated to a place less than 500m from my place of work. Resale value is not a criteria. I plan to keep the car for a minimum of 5 years, and probably longer as it's my first individual purchase

Hyundai/Kia has been given a miss after reading the thread regarding EPS/Brake failure/paint issues in TBhp
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-response.html (Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!)

Honda Jazz/Amaze not considered as we already own a Jazz. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...automatic.html (The Magic Carpet - My Honda Jazz Petrol CVT (Automatic))

Planning to go on a test drive spree in the coming weekends.

XUV300 was not considered as only the base variant is available at my budget, and it's too bare bones.

VW POLO TSI:

Pros:

Fun to drive

Cons:

Rear space {strictly a 4 seater}
Boot space
Reliability issues of smaller displacement turbo engine
VW ASS Horror stories in various forums

Nexon:

Pros:

High GC
Highest Ncap rating in my list of shortlisted cars

Cons:

Better half still regards TATA as CV maker and is slightly put off by the unconventional looks
Reliability issues of smaller displacement turbo engine

Ertiga:

Pros:

Only spacious petrol 7 seater MPV (Triber and Datsun are sub 4m, and hence rear row is only for kids)

Cons:

Least NCAP ratings in my shortlisted car list
Least fun to drive in my shortlisted car list

Brezza / Urban cruiser

Pros:

High GC
Reliable naturally aspirated 4 cylinder 1.5 litre engine

Cons:

No excitement factor

Ecosport

Pros:

High GC:

Great looks
Good driving dynamics

Cons:

Less rear and boot space
Ford seeking to exit India. Seeing the predicament of Chevy owners after GM quit India is heartbreaking

Request all BHPIANS to chip in, and hopefully not confuse me further.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th October 2020 at 04:30. Reason: As requested; typo
Voodooblaster is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 15:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Petrol car under 8.20 lakhs ex-showroom

Skoda Rapid TSI Rider Plus variant.
Latheesh is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 15:22   #3
BHPian

I would suggest you go with the Polo since you've mentioned that one of the cars was not fun to drive. But if you want a reliable car then I'd suggest you go with the Urban Cruiser.

I'm not very confident about the long term reliability and after sales service of Tata.
All the best!
Sreesh1009 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 15:35   #4
BHPian

I would suggest you to go for Tata Nexon .The car is not a normal Tata car. If you are not in to a 7 seater, this will be a good investment to overcome the damaged roads. Chip a little more and you can also have an automatic.
commonman is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 15:39   #5
BANNED

My vote goes to Tata Nexon. Best car you can get for the price range.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 21:45   #6
BHPian

If safety and high speed stablity is a concern then you can opt for the Nexon and if you want a reliable car with lower running cost then you may consider the Brezza base model which is fairly equipped.

I would consider the Brezza because the way the petrol prices are rising in our country,if in future you want to install a CNG kit then the Brezza's engine is more compatible with CNG kits.
Neelanjan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 22:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooblaster View Post
I am in the market for a new petrol car.
Budget is 8.20 lacs ex showroom kerala (can't be stretched , as company is providing vehicle cost with very liberal repayment tenure and ex showroom capped at 8.20)
I do not want to confuse you, but why don't you take a look at the Altroz since you are looking at a Nexon? You'll be able to get higher variants for 8L.
akash_v12 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 00:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
I do not want to confuse you, but why don't you take a look at the Altroz since you are looking at a Nexon? You'll be able to get higher variants for 8L.
The grouse of the engine being underpowered is a reason for not seriously considering altroz. There are rumours of a turbo engine being plonked into altroz. If that happens, may give altroz the benefit of doubt.

Besides i appreciate higher GC. With exception of POLO all others are having reasonably high GC
Old 18th October 2020, 06:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

If you/friend has had a good experience owning a VW/Skoda, you could seriously consider the Polo.

Ecosport will be a good buy considering the volumes it has sold. Should be fairly easy to maintain and I don't think Ford will leave India abruptly. Ertiga and Brezza will be boring, but reliable machines with great resale value.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 07:21   #10
BHPian

With less running, I suggest the brezza/ urban cruiser.
Brezza will be better as you will have the back up of Maruti service network. Has a 4 star NCAP rating. The engine offers seriously good drivability. The lx variant is feature loaded. Good space. Good ground clearance and a mature ride.

Ford may quit, although not now, but nobody knows. Although it's a fun to drive car and you can't go wrong, it's the only serious second contender but the lower variants are too feature less.

Stay away from AMT s and turbo petrols in the long run.

Bottom line. You have listed the pros and cons very well.

Take time out to take test drives as you please and then make up your mind. That is the best way to decide.

If diesel is in your list then go for nexon eyes closed. At least drive it once.
Rapid 1 litre TSI is an adrenaline machine but skoda and VAG group have their own limitations in the service Dept in the long run. Plenty of stories here on TBHP.

You can even have a look at Baleno.

But if I were you, I would pick Brezza anytime.
Presently the best petrol crossover which is a jack of all trades though may master none at the price point you have mentioned.

Cheers.
knrn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 08:20   #11
BHPian

My vote would go for Rapid Rider plus TSI. The car is a hoot to drive and has pretty good space in rear + a good sized boot. If you want a CSUV, then Nexon is a solid product too, the days of Indica are far behind and the new gen Tata cars are way better. Diesel Altroz could be a good option too
Grease_Monkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 09:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey View Post
My vote would go for Rapid Rider plus TSI. The car is a hoot to drive and has pretty good space in rear + a good sized boot.
Only base variant of rapid falls in my budget. Very less features compared to TSI POLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrn View Post
With less running, I suggest the brezza/ urban cruiser.
Brezza will be better as you will have the back up of Maruti service network. Has a 4 star NCAP rating.
Urban cruiser has a longer warranty than brezza. Besides, UC can be taken care of in a FNG knowledgeable in maruti in case of emergencies

Quote:
Stay away from AMT s and turbo petrols in the long run.
Compared to the Tata turbo petrol, POLO has a proven motor (international models are using this motor for almost a decade)

Quote:
If diesel is in your list then go for nexon eyes closed. At least drive it once.
Rapid 1 litre TSI is an adrenaline machine but skoda and VAG group have their own limitations in the service Dept in the long run. Plenty of stories here on TBHP.

For some reason, horror stories of skoda seems more than VW, though they belong to same group
Besides my usage doesn't warrant a diesel

Quote:
You can even have a look at Baleno.
Better half doesn't like Baleno. Also i am not happy with its build quality. I feel Ignis is sturdier
Old 18th October 2020, 09:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

I will not recommend Rapid Rider Plus since its ASS and engine related cons are similar to VW Polo on your shortlist.

You already have a spacious car (Jazz) but at the same time, you may also need extra space with this new car since it won't be your daily commute.

It would be a nice idea to complement your Jazz with another car having a good GC and decent space.

From your list, I will first of all remove the VW (ASS factors) and Ertiga (old design now).

That leaves us with Nexon, Brezza and EcoSport.

Nexon and EcoSport are better products over a Brezza anyday. Drive a Nexon and you will fall in love with it. The TD car will most likely be XZ+ with beautifully 'designed' interior. Sit in a Nexon XM (Rs7.85 Ex showroom for petrol) afterwards and you may be slightly disappointed. For me, cosmetics of base and mid variants do matter to some minimum levels over a top model. There is no arm rest and tambour door in XM. The console is simply having open spaces whereas XZ+ looks so Audi-ish. In top variants, Nexon trumps competition by a good margin. Also, Nexon has many safety features even in base variant.

EcoSport has great ride and handling coupled with butch looks. But the prospects of getting the car serviced at the JV boss (Mahindra) puts me off.

That leaves us with Brezza as the all rounder type of package. It has good space, decent seats, nice features and middle variants look "almost same" as top ones inside out. High GC go any-road car. Service can be done anywhere and parts are available in local markets as well.

Summary-
For best car product- go for EcoSport.
For best car package- Go for Brezza.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 18th October 2020 at 09:34. Reason: Typo
PaddleShifter is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 10:23   #14

You can try the Ciaz sigma variant. The ex showroom price is 8.32 but the showrooms are offering cash discounts of about 40k+. It is a very spacious car. Try searching for models that are being offered with discounts in this festive season and you could get a car from a segment up.
raunak2X90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 10:43   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Petrol car under 8.20 lakhs ex-showroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooblaster View Post
1. VW Polo 1.0 litre TSI
2. Tata Nexon
3. Brezza/urban cruiser
4. Ertiga
5. Ecosport
I would put the Polo / Rapid 1.0 TSI, Nexon & EcoSport at the top of the list. Importantly, I'd also wait for the next-gen i20 if I were you. Hyundai's 1.0 turbo-petrol is a jewel of an engine & the new i20 will take the game forward. Go test-drive an i10 Nios / Aura just to get a feel of the engine, then wait for the i20.

Quote:
Hyundai/Kia has been given a miss after reading the thread regarding EPS/Break failure/paint issues in TBhp
All manufacturers have issues, including Maruti & Toyota. While the problems are serious, the frequency isn't alarmingly high among Hyundai / Kia owners. Would strongly suggest shortlisting the Sonet & new i20.

Quote:
XUV300 was not considered as only the base variant is available at my budget, and it's too bare bones.
Good discounts available. Check it out and talk to your dealer. It's a very sorted product with good performance.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed