Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2020, 11:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thinking of 330i. Sell Jetta or EcoSport?

If you really must sell either of the cars and pick up the BMW, I will say sell the Jetta. In my view, it is important to have a relatively smaller sized and easy to maintain car in the garage at all times, and the Ecosport (as most other compact SUVs) serves that purpose very well. Besides it is just 5 years old and has tons of life left in it. That way, even if you upgrade to a BMW, you will always have a very capable beater car in your garage at all times to counter any tantrums that the Germans might throw at you.
Old 27th October 2020, 12:23   #32
BHPian

Keep the Jetta. It is very difficult to find an all round car like the Jetta, and as others have mentioned before, the true upgrade would be to a 5 Series or an E class.

Would in fact recommend to sell the Ecosport and get a DCT or MT Petrol Seltos - great looking modern car, right fuel type for Delhi NCR, convenient for the every day runs. Invest the balance of the money that you save.
Old 27th October 2020, 12:44   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Step 1: Sell the Jetta (patiently):
Being a current 330i Sport and an ex-Octavia 1.8 TSI owner, I'd say sell the Jetta at your own pace and at your desired price to an enthusiast. You've been lucky so far with it, but anything can go wrong with a >5 year old VAG car. As you stated, it is in mint condition, remapped and with complete service records.

Such a Jetta will still command a good price. Sadly, VAG car resale prices have a habit of falling off a cliff, so do your research what you can expect if you sell it after 1 year, 2 years etc.

Step 2: Sell the Ecosport (too):
Why? Already overhauled and with Ford / Mahindra JV service costs which will only go up as the years go on AND add to the resale uncertainty years later.

Step 3:
I'd suggest do both the above things, then buy the 330i AND concurrently buy a mid-variant turbo-petrol crossover like the Sonet or Venue. This can stay as the mall visit beater car with a tiny footprint and high GC. Why turbo-petrol? Amazing responsiveness and future-proofed for NCR. Trust me, once you and your better half get used to the 330i, the Ecosport will feel antediluvian in comparison.

Summary:
Once your mind is made up on a new BMW, it is very difficult to stop thinking about it for so many years more. One life, live it :-).

Last edited by itwasntme : 27th October 2020 at 12:47.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 13:07   #34
BHPian

I would advise you to sell the Jetta as having 2 germans doesn't make much sense. High maintenance cost in the future, poor resale value are also some of the reasons why you should consider selling it. Keep the Ecosport as your daily driver and replace the Jetta with Bmw.
Merc_Freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 14:10   #35
BHPian

Keep the EcoSport and sell a sedan for a sedan.

Ecosport will be easy on the pocket ( though I am surprised you had to do an engine overhaul at just 3.5Years of ownership).
The high Ground clearance will also come in handy in those errands.
aabhimanyu04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 14:31   #36
BHPian

Don't stop yourself if you have made up your mind buy the Beemer 330i.

And sell the Jetta, but keep rge EcoSport.

Are you fond of road trips? If you are then, then the 330i can't take you everywhere. I wish I had thought it through, but I didn't. So, here's my 2 cents. Keep the higher ground clearance EcoSport, so that if you plan road trips to mountains, you can still go. Delhi has so many beautiful hill-stations around it.

I had a Rapid, which was amazing car to drive and no nonsense car, for 1.2 lakh km. When I sold it and had to buy 2 cars, I first had to buy wifey a car and the only condition for her was it had to be the smallest available drivable car. We bought a hatchback and then a German marque.

Recently, we went to Chail and we loved the drive in the 220d. It was always very drivable and manageable on good roads and wish we could take it to mountains more often. We are going to now Manali and Jispa and my heart says take the 220d, but mind says you don't know the road conditions. Only if the ground clearance was more we wouldn't have thought twice.

In fact upgrade from your EcoSport to a Sonet or Magnite TC petrol a year later.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th October 2020 at 05:03. Reason: SMS language, grammatical errors
Puneet0051 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th October 2020, 15:01   #37

Simplest solution. Sell both.

Your heart is set on the 330i. Do it! A car is an emotional decision. Don’t procrastinate on it. A 5 series is awesome but the 330i is a very very capable machine.

Replace the Ford with a Maruti Swift Automatic/ Polo TSI automatic. Both cars are rock solid, though Maruti is cheaper to maintain but the TSI will get you a smile every time you punch it.

My TSI is a pocket rocket on the Expressway and perfect for grocery runs too.

My background in short, my other car is an Endeavour 3.2 Titanium. I had a tuned Skoda RS from 2005 and recently sold it.

All the best!
Old 27th October 2020, 15:47   #38
BHPian

Firstly, a 330i will well & trully be a superb upgrade ! The driving pleasure it would give you compared to the vanilla flavoured VW Jetta would be on a different level.

Now, coming to your question, id say;

Sell the Jetta, there is no reason to own two german sedans. Ive owned both VW/Skoda cars as well as a BMW 530d. In my experience, both these cars being german, are high maintenance. The average service cost of a Jetta was about 16k to 20k while the average cost of a BMW 530d was about 26k to 30k.

If you notice, both these vehicles are pretty expensive to maintain, give or take 25%. Plus the depreciation a german sedan suffers is pretty catastrophic. Even a well kept, three year old example done less than 50k kms would usually depreciate a minimum 50%

An ecosport on the other hand can be your care-free daily run about. The maintenance cost is low plus the depreciation loss, even if it falls by a similar percentage as the jetta, the actual amount is still far easier to swallow. Also the little dings & scratches that we are forced to suffer in bumper to bumper traffic are far less painful on a more reasonable car.

So to conclude, the Jetta will suffer shocking depreciation plus be quote expensive to maintain. The ecosport on the other hand can be your daily urban beater where you just have to reliably get from Point A to Point B, without breaking the bank every few months.
Old 27th October 2020, 15:56   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post

Pros Ecosport
  1. Has one more year till the dreaded 10 yr run rule in Delhi-NCR (who comes up with these brainless policies!)
If the Ecosport has only one more year left, then sell it off. You would anyways have to sell it off or scrap it next year.
Old 27th October 2020, 15:58   #40
BHPian

Heart says keep the beautiful Jetta because such a diesel mill won't come again in India, ever!

But mind says keep the Ecosport. Simple reason is that it's always better to have a reliable cheap to maintain car in your garage when you have a German with you for the Just In Case scenarios.

I would even suggest to sell both the cars and keep the 3/X3 alone if you don't mind! Maybe add a Tiago later for the errands if 2nd car becomes a necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_rider View Post
If the Ecosport has only one more year left, then sell it off. You would anyways have to sell it off or scrap it next year.
Please find his explanation below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
A couple of clarifications - I think the opening post may have been a bit convoluted when it comes to:

1. I meant to say the Ecosport has one more year on the 10 year mark compared to Jetta. Individually, Ecosport and Jetta have 5 and 4 years left on the 10 year NCR rule mark as they are both diesels.

Last edited by kamilharis : 27th October 2020 at 16:03.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 16:03   #41
BHPian

If you're certain between picking one out of both then, Sell the Ecosport. I have been through a pain of major engine overhaul and it failed miserably after an year. I never had that 'peace of mind' status with the car. Even if you keep it, you won't be sure of it's reliability (atleast I won't be) while Jetta is trouble free car you, plus there's nothing more of joy of driving than a Jetta!
Practical solution: Sell both. You have enjoyed both to their share. Get a cross-over for city runs and a 330i for everything else.
Old 27th October 2020, 16:18   #42
BHPian

Sell the Ecosport!

It is very clear you both are car people and love your upgraded Jetta - once gone, you will absolutely miss that car and will be fighting to decide who will NOT be driving the Ecosport!

Btw, I can't see how a Jetta is comparable to a 3-series (as per some posts). Jetta/Golf is a direct competitor to the Toyota Corolla / Hyundai i30 / similar cars - the Passat is the one that shares the Audi A4 platform and could be considered as the cheaper head over heart option to the 3 series / C class / A4.

I have a totally different suggestion (since both of you are petrolheads) - keep both the cars, invest the money suitably and go in for a used Boxster when possible!

Last edited by LTAutoMad : 27th October 2020 at 16:22.
LTAutoMad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 17:03   #43
Senior - BHPian

Sell Both and buy a new Polo/ Rapid Tsi along with the 330i.

Both cars will be extremely Fun to Drive and you both would have to toss every morning which one to take out today.
Old 27th October 2020, 17:55   #44
BHPian

If I were in your position, I would sell the Ecosport without a doubt since it's nearing 10 year mark in NGT rule. If a second car is required I would say get a Polo GT TSI for your errands and city commute, hold on to the Jetta for time being since you've upgraded it considerably + you both like driving it and upgrade to BMW 5 series or Audi A6 when you can for these will be an apt upgrade from Jetta. If you're into SUV's you can alternatively look for premium SUV's that tick the right boxes for you from BMW X's to Audi Q's, Merc G's, Volvo X's and LR Discovery depending upon your taste and budget.
Old 27th October 2020, 18:23   #45
BHPian

We're in a very similar boat here. We have a Jetta and a Grand i10, and we were also considering an upgrade to the 330i. My Jetta is also remapped to about 190bhp and 450NM. But a test drive with my wife and kid in the backseat ensured that the 330i went out of the window. She found the Jetta more spacious and comfortable than the BMW. The boot space is quite laughable - and we use the Jetta for a lot of touring and long distance travel.
More importantly, I didn't feel the 330i was such a big step up from the Jetta for driving pleasure either. I'm sure it is significantly better on the twisted, but in 90% of driving conditions, the Jetta should be atleast 80% as good as the 330i.

Now we're planning to buy a new Sonet/Creta as a replacement to the i10, and then move laterally to a used 530d/X5 30d in a year or two.

So what is my suggestion? Two options:
1. Sell the Jetta and buy a 2 year old 530d or X5 30d. And of course, remap the Beemer.
2. Hold on to both and buy a new 530d/X5 in a couple of years.

Last edited by pavanmadhini : 27th October 2020 at 18:40. Reason: Forgot some additional details.
pavanmadhini is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks