Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2020, 21:28   #61
BHPian

Re: Thinking of 330i. Sell Jetta or EcoSport?

I was somewhat in a similar dilemma 2 months ago. I have a 2012 CL Jetta and a 2015 320D. I wanted to upgrade to a X3 and did not know which car to sell. BMW gave me peanuts for my 320D (12L to be exact!). Jetta probably wouldn't fare any better, though cars24 indicated about 6.5L. My wife wanted me to sell the BMW, since she finds the rear suspension too bouncy and she literally pukes every time we take it on the highway. Jetta's suspension is better sorted and is more spacious, and the boot is humongous. There is not much difference in performance either since my jetta is remapped, though it's a pain in the city due it being a manual transmission. So I decided to keep the cars for a while longer and maybe upgrade to a X3/X5 couple of years down the line. I would also advise you the same, wait for a couple more years and then sell the Ecosport. The jetta is a keeper, no car today comes close to what it offers!
Old 30th October 2020, 09:46   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Abhi, I may be biased but times are volatile and you 2 have only one life each. Go ahead and do it. The pleasure of upgrading to a full-blooded 250bhp/400 nm RWD sedan will blow you away.

Your Jetta is marvelous but everything has a particular time in our lives. If the 330i bug has hit you, just do it. Don't hanker after the 530i, it's the same engine with lower torque in a heavier chassis. IT CANNOT be as chuckable as the 330i.

Forget saving the money for now; 2 years waiting is a lifetime at your age. One question: are you going the whole hog or being 'el cheapo' like me for the Sport. IF the latter, then wait for the MY20 Sport models to be upgraded to iDrive 7 instead of iDrive 6 like mine. Check with the dealer who will be understandably tightlipped of course.

Let us know!
Old 30th October 2020, 12:19   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Forget saving the money for now; 2 years waiting is a lifetime at your age. One question: are you going the whole hog or being 'el cheapo' like me for the Sport. IF the latter, then wait for the MY20 Sport models to be upgraded to iDrive 7 instead of iDrive 6 like mine. Check with the dealer who will be understandably tightlipped of course.

Let us know!
Ah! I am definitely in the ‘el cheapo’ boat Engineering prowess has always been much more important to me than features. Of course, there is something called as money, which is always a scarce entity.

The other consideration will be to either get fatter discounts 2020, or latest version but less discounts.
Old 30th October 2020, 12:58   #64
Senior - BHPian

Hiya Abhi. I know that you're in two minds now, and you've got a truckload of opinions in this thread, but let me wade into the water here.

Seeing how both of you'll like to drive, I suggest you keep hold of the Jetta, and let go of the Ecosport. Back in the day, I used to own a Jetta and there are days I still miss it. They don't make it like it anymore, and you will struggle to replace it when the time comes (although it's possible with enough zeroes in your bank account).

The Ecosport has run its race on this count. Show it a dignified exit, and bring in a replacement for it, whatever that might be. Why sell a car you and the better half like? Pleasure is such an elusive thing; don't let it slip out of your grasp, or garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Used car, while not completely ruled out, is a hard stretch because I'll buy the car on loan - and used car loan rates are atrocious (or are they?)
My info on this count is a bit of date. 2 years back, with the right banking relationship and credit record, you could get a used car loan for 11%, while new car loans were about 9%. The latter has dipped a bit lower now, from what I've read, and I have no idea about the former. But I don't think it's as astronomical as you imagine, and the price delta between a new and used car means a pre-owned car has to be in your consideration set, bare minimum. You can do the math a bit down the road and see if it fits your cheque book.

Quote:
One wildcard one of my friend threw over the weekend is:
  1. Keep the Jetta
  2. Sell Ecosport, and buy a used 328i or Mini Cooper S (even better!)
So, we get to retain the car we love + also buy a fun premium car. It still means 2 Germans though + my wifey is opposed to buying used. What about this?
I like the sound of this.

Back in the day, zeroed in on the 328i as a replacement when I realized I didn't have enough loose change jangling in my pockets for a 530d, which would have been the ideal replacement for the Jetta.

Do I regret swapping the VW for the BMW? Predominantly no. The only area where the Jetta bests the 3'er is in practicality. The 3'er just has more emotional appeal, so if you find a good 328i for sale, pull the trigger if everything checks out. The Cooper S is a fun, fun car too, but its use cases are obviously so much more limited, which is why I'd go for the 3 over it, especially since the price difference for both brand new is so little.

Here's another scenario; if you do go pre-owned, why not look at an X3 3.0 diesel as a replacement? It's fun, sensible, a huge upgrade over the Ecosport. The 3 and Jetta are philosophically similar, the X3 would be a nice counterpoint to it. It gives you something different in your garage, without diluting any of the things you like in a car.

Happy hunting, I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 13:56   #65
Senior - BHPian

Thanks so much for chiming in everybody, especially current and former Jetta and BMW owners. Your inputs are so so valuable.

Since I have a bit of time till my planned purchase, one no regret move is to look around a bit in the used car market. Do I really get any 328is of the world when I go hunting?
Just that for complicated reasons - used car purchase has always been a very hard sell to my wifey!

One option almost ruled out is to retain both cars for another 3 year (even though I agree that it is the most sensible option); Why? Because there is nothing as perfect timing or upgrade. It's what works for you, which is what we are trying to find out..

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 30th October 2020 at 13:58.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 16:37   #66
BHPian

I have a 2018 EcoSport Petrol Titanium AT and a BMW 330i (m sport), and I upgraded from a 2012 Skoda Laura TSI MT. Sound similar?

The EcoSport is about 2.5 years old and is primarily used by my wife and she loves it. I primarily use the 330i which is now about 10 months old. It was painful to let go of the Laura (we did about 50k in 8 years and enjoyed driving it). It was unfortunately a Manual and the initial excitement gave away to some frustration while driving it in traffic.

The 330i is hugely better than the driving pleasure that an Octavia or a Jetta would give you, space and size be damned - RWD, the lightning quick gear box, and that insane Motor! We considered the 530i during purchase and zeroed in on the 330i as it met all criteria that we had.
animeshb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 18:30   #67
BHPian

Hey. I’d say let the wife decide. If she’s gonna be the one using the second car.

You’ve not mentioned about engine gearbox combo on either and if there’s a preference to auto for anyone. I’m presuming both are diesel and eco to be manual. Like my wife would just not settle for a manual now.

I’m sure you would have parted with jetta and because it’s not fetching enough, this thought. Let me tell you my story. I bought the GT TSI and could replace a 4 year old vento auto or 1 year old manual Brio. Guess what we chose. Parted with Brio since found vento to be safer and since car hadn’t posed any issues until then. Big regret. Vento in 5th year had oil mix in coolant. Cost 1.5 lacs. And in 6th year complete gearbox breakdown. Car had to be scrapped since repair cost was 7lacs. Wished had kept the Brio.

So pls do apple for apple. 3 comes for jetta. Alternately since you’ve had issues with eco and since that also would be due for change in couple of years max, sell both and buy a small car like polo GT AT. both cars would be new and driveable.
Old 30th October 2020, 20:40   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeshb View Post
I have a 2018 EcoSport Petrol Titanium AT and a BMW 330i (m sport), and I upgraded from a 2012 Skoda Laura TSI MT.

The 330i is hugely better than the driving pleasure that an Octavia or a Jetta would give you, space and size be damned - RWD, the lightning quick gear box, and that insane Motor! We considered the 530i during purchase and zeroed in on the 330i as it met all criteria that we had.
Dayuuummm! Same to same!

As I said, thinking of like to like replacement. You are the validating real world user here..literally!

Couple of things bhpins said were lot clear so clearing out again - both Jetta and Ecoport are diesels, and manual. One reason previously mentioned for upgrade (but I’ll repeat again) is desire to have an auto. Other reason previously not mentioned is petrol. After having all diesel garage for last 5-6 years, I’ve been longing for a petrol car for a while. After all, these are the last 10 years to enjoy ripping petrol engines, before we all sink into the abyss of EVs..
Old 31st October 2020, 10:39   #69

Heart says - keep the Jetta as you have tuned it to your likings.
Mind says - keep the Ecosport as it is smaller and more practical for daily use.

One observation you may not like driving the Ecosport after BMW it will feel disconnected and underpowered, you might have felt the same after driving Jetta and switching to Ecosport. So stick to the car which you feel most connected to and you will enjoy not only today but down the years.
Old 9th November 2020, 09:17   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One reason previously mentioned for upgrade (but I’ll repeat again) is desire to have an auto. Other reason previously not mentioned is petrol. After having all diesel garage for last 5-6 years, I’ve been longing for a petrol car for a while.
So what are you planning to do? That new car bug is insidious and no amount of mask wearing or social distancing will help .

Remember, if you can manage the bigger size, the 530i is not very far away with rumoured discounts of 8.5L+, especially as the LCI looms closer and closer. BUT it is a heavier car with the same engine and 50 Nm lower torque (for some strange reason).
Old 9th November 2020, 09:33   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So what are you planning to do? That new car bug is insidious and no amount of mask wearing or social distancing will help .

Remember, if you can manage the bigger size, the 530i is not very far away with rumoured discounts of 8.5L+, especially as the LCI looms closer and closer. BUT it is a heavier car with the same engine and 50 Nm lower torque (for some strange reason).
Budget is fixed bro. And poverty stricken Sport 330i it is (if it has to be). Current inclination is towards pulling the trigger in Feb, which is when we always planned the car.

Likely the Jetta goes. Like for like replacement, unless something significantly changes between now and then. Of course, friends like you ensure that the motivation doesn’t go down
Old 9th November 2020, 11:57   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Budget is fixed bro. And poverty stricken Sport 330i it is (if it has to be).
Paraphrasing Tom Cruise, keep showing the money to the BMW dealers and pray for discounts. What colour combo are you guys tending towards?

Issue now is that dealers are desperately trying to improve their cash flows and not wanting to take on stock without confirmed orders. Hence, BMW dealers with ready stock to offload at a juicy discount at quarter-end / month-end are rarer and rarer.

Also keep an eye out for the iDrive 6 to iDrive 7 change which should filter into Indian cars soon. I have version 6 which is now getting globally phased out: https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/05/27/b...ries-idrive-7/

Last edited by itwasntme : 9th November 2020 at 12:09.
Old 9th November 2020, 12:57   #73
BHPian

I would lean towards the option 1.

Assuming your Jetta would fetch you around 10 -12L and your i10 around 5L. You still need to invest another 65L (at-least here in Bangalore). With a new X5 in your garage, you would still need a beater car like i10 to run errands. So you end up buying two cars again. I would, sell the Jetta and buy a used X5.
Old 10th November 2020, 15:21   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Paraphrasing Tom Cruise, keep showing the money to the BMW dealers and pray for discounts. What colour combo are you guys tending towards?

Issue now is that dealers are desperately trying to improve their cash flows and not wanting to take on stock without confirmed orders. Hence, BMW dealers with ready stock to offload at a juicy discount at quarter-end / month-end are rarer and rarer.

Also keep an eye out for the iDrive 6 to iDrive 7 change which should filter into Indian cars soon. I have version 6 which is now getting globally phased out: https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/05/27/b...ries-idrive-7/
We are leaning towards Med Blue + Black or Beige (not decided yet). Given the limited options, this one seems like the one to our tastes.

Yup, you nailed it in terms of discounts. Nothing home to write about right now. About 5-6 laks, all included - far away from the 10 lakhs off I've been dreaming of.

Will definitely keep an eye on iDrive 6 to 7. Significant changes there. The problem is - with each new update, the discounts vanish. So, it's often a choice between latest and most value (bot not latest)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi792 View Post
I would lean towards the option 1.

Assuming your Jetta would fetch you around 10 -12L and your i10 around 5L. You still need to invest another 65L (at-least here in Bangalore). With a new X5 in your garage, you would still need a beater car like i10 to run errands. So you end up buying two cars again. I would, sell the Jetta and buy a used X5.
My wife had her knives out and I had to stop her We have an Ecosport, not i10. Also, there is no way even a superbly maintained Jetta will fetch 10-12 here in NCR market.

Used cars are generally out of Q because of high interest rates, and I am not buying cash down!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 10th November 2020 at 15:22.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 19:39   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We are leaning towards Med Blue + Black or Beige (not decided yet). Given the limited options, this one seems like the one to our tastes.

About 5-6 laks, all included - far away from the 10 lakhs off I've been dreaming of.

The problem is - with each new update, the discounts vanish. So, it's often a choice between latest and most value (bot not latest)!
Well, Mediterranean Blue with Sensatec Black is on my ownership thread while I am seeing a Med Blue with Beige for the first time here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxur...ml#post4927849 (BMW 3-Series vs Mercedes C-Class vs Jaguar XE vs others)

Discounts do tend to vanish with such updates, true. However, only tech folks will truly appreciate this particular update. Most people would give their body parts for say an upgrade to ambient lighting or leather seats. So, there is still a chance that buyers will not suddenly flock to BMW because of the move to iDrive 7.

Last edited by itwasntme : 10th November 2020 at 19:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks