Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2020, 12:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Thinking of 330i. Sell Jetta or EcoSport?

BHPins,

My family and I need your valuable inputs/advise as we’ve finally decided to take the plunge and buy a new car.

Question: Question is very simple one. Out of my 2 cars, which one to sell, Ecosport of Jetta?

Jetta is completing 6 yrs, has run for 50k kms, it’s running Michelin PS4 225 R45 rubber with Momo revenge alloys, tuned to 180 bhp, and has upgraded sound system.

Ecosport is turning 5 next month, run about 35k kms, is in stock form.

Oh! And btw, I have a Triumph Bonnie Street Twin also - purely for my personal/leisure use. My wifey hates it

Context: If certain things fall in place, we’re thinking of buying new 3 series (likely 330i!) by Feb-Mar next yr. me and my wifey both drive so we need 2 cars, even though going by running, you can observe that our cars aren’t very high usage cars as such!

Pros Jetta
  1. My wifey and I both love (...and drive) the Jetta. It’s very difficult car to upgrade from. My office is at walkable distance so I don’t use it daily but it’s essentially out go-to car for touring, relative visits, mall visits a etc.
  2. Jetta is in mint condition. Besides couple of cases of alloy bends, the car ownership has been largely trouble free (touchwood!)
  3. Poor resale. There isn’t much difference in the prices being quoted for our Jetta and Ecoport in the used car market so it isn’t that I am getting more money by selling Jetta, which can be used for Bimmer down payment or so.

Cons Jetta
  1. Theoretically, main point is maintenance cost. At 15-20k a service, Jetta costs significantly more to service (I have great independent garage though, dealing specifically in Euro cars) and maintain than the Ecosport. Part costs cannot even be compared. However, I say theoretically, because it’s been largely trouble free, and I don’t have much issue with the service bill as long as it is once/year
  2. The ‘real’ point of confusion is the mindset. Maintaining two German cars bring a certain associated inherent risk. While we are warming upto the idea of retaining Jetta, our original plan has always been to replace like for like I.e Jetta with 3. The mental model still hasn’t fully aligned yet.
  3. Convenience. Keeping two relatively big-ish cars means we have to give on convenience. The grocery run, running errands, taking car to places where you are damn sure somebody will scratch it etc.

Pros Ecosport
  1. Cheap to maintain. Cheap to run. Light on wallet, and continues to solve the purpose of our ‘second’ car.
  2. Has one more year till the dreaded 10 yr run rule in Delhi-NCR (who comes up with these brainless policies!)

Cons Ecosport
  1. While both me and my wifey appreciates the Ecoport’s talents, neither of us ‘like’ it very much. It solves its purpose. That it.
  2. The Ecosport had a complete engine overhaul 1.5 yrs ago. So, there is a mental insecurity associated that something may go wrong. But, (touchwood) it’s been running fine since so I have no reason to believe that it won’t in the upcoming years (?)

So, given the relatively decent resale value of Ecosport and the modest resale value of Jetta - money factor is more or less nullified. If you were me - will you retain the better car, or the more affordable car - given that the Bimmer will very soon become our primary car?

Mod request: If possible, keep this an independent thread. I’d love quick and focused opinions as I need to sell one of my cars soon! Also, is it possible to add poll, or I am stretching it already?

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 24th October 2020 at 12:39.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 12:25   #2
BHPian

re: Thinking of 330i. Sell Jetta or EcoSport?

Since you're getting a 330i, I'll say this is more of a lateral upgrade from your Jetta and that being said there's no point in keeping two similar cars unless both you and your better half have any emotional attachment to it.

Keep the EcoSports, because anyways you'll be heading to the open roads with the bimmer. It is a better and more economical city car then the other two. On a second thought, as both of them are in mint condition (except the engine overhaul) why not postpone the upgrade for now and get a real upgrade (read-5series/E-class) afterwards.

Last edited by Abhi5868 : 24th October 2020 at 12:37.
Abhi5868 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 12:27   #3
BHPian

In my opinion, sell the Jetta. It seems impractical to own two Germans. Keep the Ecosport, since you've mentioned that you use a car for your grocery runs and around the city.
Plus you'd get a better price for it at this point of time than you will in the future.

Last edited by Sreesh1009 : 24th October 2020 at 12:38.
Sreesh1009 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 12:33   #4
BANNED

The Jetta is a far superior car to the Ford.
Every time you drive the Bimmer, the Ford will look spartan.
The performance of the Jetta is also better than the Ford.

Ford, though, has higher GC and more compact dimensions to its advantage. So if this matters to you, then keep the ford. Else its nothing special.

I'd say keep the Jetta.
turbo is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 12:34   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Out of my 2 cars, which one to sell, Ecosport of Jetta?

Jetta is completing 6 yrs, has run for 50k kms,

Ecosport is turning 5 next month, run about 35k kms, is in stock form.
If I were you, I'd sell the Jetta.

Reasons:

1. The Jetta would get you a good buyer for her age and odo reading

2. doesn't make sense to have two German sedans; instead have one good sedan for the long drives and one runabout car viz. Ecosport

3. The Ecosport would provide you a stress free drive in crowded areas with limited parking

4. The Ecosport as your runabout vehicle would be easier on the pocket to fix minor body damages, if that happens.

Thus, your garage would have two cars serving the right requirements rather than 2 cars sporting the same constraints.
vigsom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 12:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Interesting, initial trend in favor of Ecosport 3:1

Please keep them coming - I am reading through each one and very will have follow up Qs.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 12:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Question: Question is very simple one. Out of my 2 cars, which one to sell, Ecosport of Jetta?
In my personal opinion, the BMW 330i would not be an 'upgrade' to the Jetta. I believe it would be just that you now have a BMW badge instead of a VW badge. Yes, you would definitely have more power, but that around 70-80 bhp more I guess. In terms of rear seating space, it is negligible between the two and in terms of boot space, I believe the Jetta has a larger boot.

I own a Jetta as well, and to me, I personally believe that an upgrade to the Jetta is either the BMW 5 or Audi A6. As you rightly said, it is very difficult to upgrade from the Jetta as there is nothing available in the market.

If you do need to to upgrade from the Jetta but keeping a sane budget, I would recommend the VW Passat or the Skoda Superb instead.
Epic is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 13:03   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Sell both and get Polo TSI manual. You both will be fighting to drive it more than 330i. I am not trying to be out of the box, it's the perfect solution.

330i would indeed be an upgrade from Jetta. This perception that Jetta and 3 series/C class being similar was true few years ago. BMW and Mercedes have moved on while VW left the playground. Most people would be better served by the size of 3 than 5. Cars are getting bigger and cities are getting more congested. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited by androdev : 24th October 2020 at 13:11.
androdev is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 13:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
In my personal opinion, the BMW 330i would not be an 'upgrade' to the Jetta. I believe it would be just that you now have a BMW badge instead of a VW badge. Yes, you would definitely have more power, but that around 70-80 bhp more I guess. In terms of rear seating space, it is negligible between the two and in terms of boot space, I believe the Jetta has a larger boot.

I own a Jetta as well, and to me, I personally believe that an upgrade to the Jetta is either the BMW 5 or Audi A6. As you rightly said, it is very difficult to upgrade from the Jetta as there is nothing available in the market.

If you do need to to upgrade from the Jetta but keeping a sane budget, I would recommend the VW Passat or the Skoda Superb instead.
Hmm...interesting thought. While I do think the 330i didn't seem much of an upgrade in terms of size, space, overall feel etc., it did seem like the balance/poise of the 3, interior quality, engine performance etc. definitely felt like upgrades.

I don't think I said it clearly, but size is not very important to me. TO me, my inclination towards 5 being a 'true' upgrade is because it's an infinitely better car, not necessarily because it's bigger.

Overall, I agree with you that 5 is the real deal. There is something called as moolah, which is the only issue!! Moreover, the 3 felt special enough to me! Having said that - in thinking mode for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Sell both and get Polo TSI manual. You both will be fighting to drive it more than 330i. I am not trying to be out of the box, it's the perfect solution.
The best one yet.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 24th October 2020 at 13:34.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 14:16   #10
BHPian

I d sell the ecosport. Dont know much about Ford reliability over the long term. But my Jetta is 8 years old. Run close to 65k km. No issues except for routine service and normal wear related replacements going as per the service manual. Its almost like a Toyota for me but more fun to drive. The servicing is on the higher side may be to an ecosport, but once you own a Bmw then suddenly the Jetta becomes VFM. The space and the practicality offered by the Jetta is far better than a 3 series. The 330i is a brilliant drive though, and the Jetta is hard to break. So I would keep the 3 series as my personal drive and the Jetta as the beater or the second car.
Old 24th October 2020, 14:36   #11
BHPian

Even though from the way your post is written I should suggest selling the EcoSport but that would be a decision from the heart.

If mind comes into play then it should be the Jetta but at the same time I think the Jetta being a model which has been discontinued and being a VW you already would be getting a low resale value for it and even if you keep it for a few more years you won't be losing much on the resale value. So, the money saved on re-sale can be used for the maintenance.

While the EcoSport could fetch a good value right now till the time the new generation arrives.

So, I would suggest sell the EcoSport and enjoy the cars you love.

Hope this helps you in making up your mind .

Note: Kindly edit your post at one point it mentions that the EcoSport is 5 years old and in the Pros of the EcoSport it mentions it has one more year of life left from the dreaded 10 year run rule in Delhi-NCR.

Last edited by sv97 : 24th October 2020 at 14:39.
sv97 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 14:57   #12
BHPian

If both cars aren't being used simultaneously by you and your wife, sell the Jetta and make Ecosport the beater car. This makes the decision of which car to take out very easy. This is sort of what I've got with my 3 series + Swift, which are never used together. Short journeys for errands - always the swift, while any drives for leisure - always the 3.

On the other hand, if both cars are expected to be used simultaneously and both drivers want to maximize driving pleasure, you should hold on to the Jetta.

330i will be the perfect upgrade - don't think twice and get it home before the M340i launches and gives you any more ideas
d3mon is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 15:03   #13
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I would have suggested to sell the Jetta if the second car would have been designated as your secondary car. However, since both you and wifey are going to be driving individually, ask yourself this- 'Will you miss the Jetta while driving the Ecosport?' If no, you have your answer. If yes, the question would be whether it is worth spending extra on maintenance and servicing over the Ecosport.

Also, the higher Ground Clearance of the Ecosport will give it an upper hand in some situations.

So prima facie, selling the Jetta is the more sensible option but since the both of you are going to be driving actively, the answer is not exactly black and white.

Last edited by AYP : 24th October 2020 at 15:05.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 15:14   #14
BHPian

Hi Abhi_Automobile, I think this is a leading giveaway for your quandary and I think that you have already made up your mind (to an extent):

Quote:
[*]My wifey and I both love (...and drive) the Jetta. It’s very difficult car to upgrade from.
So, if I were you and considering the pointers mentioned, I'd stick to retaining the Jetta, because:

1. Your ownership has been trouble-free so far, and coupled with a not so high mileage, the Jetta has a good life left ahead of it; although you might incur a few perfunctory expenses going forward (which is the case for any 5+ year old car). We can't deny the fact that the Jetta is a superb car compared to Ecosport and deserves a minimum of 1L kms on the odo.

2. The fact that you have remapped your Jetta and spent some bucks (and time) on upgrades, it is a testimony that you and your wife share a good bond with it. Surely you won't be very pleased to part with the car which has served you well over the last 6 years!

3. Coming to financials, if the Ecosport (which has had an engine overhaul in ~3 years) and your beloved Jetta fetch the same resale, it's better to part with the Ford and retain the latter to minimize your net loss due to depreciation. Why fix something which is not broken (Jetta)?

4. Good thing is, if you part with the Ecosport, you won't be dealing with a lot of melancholic afterthought which you will, if you choose to sell the Jetta. I know I am not thinking straight here, but I am emotional with my cars and I just can't think from my head!

5. In you decide to retain the Jetta and sell it off later (due to regulations), there are a few things which would come under your consideration: (i) you'll start appreciating the 330i's dynamics over the Jetta's in the next few years and the feeling of upgrade would have sunk in by then, (ii) the Jetta will not lose much value in these 3 years and shall fetch you a decent resale, (iii) you would have have enjoyed the car for a long time before parting with it (it deserves that!) (iv) you shall also be able to get yourself a new car after selling the Jetta!
bongSENse is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 15:17   #15
BANNED

I would say sell the Ecosport. You and your wife love driving the jetta right and you have modified it a little bit too. But your EcoSport has one more year to go in Delhi due to these policies that I think are meaningless cause we car enthusiast maintain our cars immaculately throughout its life.

PS. Whenever I am confused between two things, I always flip a coin. But the twist is that when the coin is in the air, the voice that comes from within my heart is what I listen to instead of seeing the result, you should try that too sir.

Thanks.

Last edited by GTO : 26th October 2020 at 12:10. Reason: Please compose your paragraphs properly - right now, they are all broken and misaligned
Tachyonites is offline   (5) Thanks Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks