Team-BHP > What Car?

Old 3rd November 2020, 12:07   #46

Default Re: The last car for someone on the verge of retirement?

I think, 30 years is too long a time to consider anything. As many of the fellow bhp'ians pointed out, considering the market movements and technology advancements, it's difficult to predict anything beyond 15 years. Also, considering this is going to be the last owned car for the gentleman, I think, he should actually accept the newer technologies and creature comforts with open arms be it PS, power windows, auto headlamps, and vipers, etc. However, the most important feature to have peace of mind as the gentleman grows older is the automatic transmission. There is nothing like driving an automatic transmission car in the city traffic. Even though he is not willing to look at these techs, but believe me, he will bless you a few years down the line for suggesting him an automatic transmission car.

There are a lot of options with these features in the given budget. If I were in that situation, I would have considered something either from Hyundai or Toyota, or Maruti.
vroom_vroom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:30   #47
Senior - BHPian

If he is serious about keeping the same car for the next 30 years, the only vehicle that comes to my mind, that could actually last that long without giving much trouble, is the one with the oval T badge, the Toyota Yaris. The base J(optional) manual transmission model is available for a shade under 10 lakhs OTR with discounts.
longhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:47   #48
BHPian

I would any day suggest a wagonR. I sold my 2004 Wagon R in 2012 after 120000km and I can see in parivahan app that it is still in use by someone today with the registration extended till 2024. That covers two decades out of the three decades the senior gentleman wanted.
raghukodali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 13:05   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
This would be his last 4 Wheeler and hence expects the vehicle to last at least 3 Decades...
On the basis of this only, the Toyota Yaris will be a good option. The Base model will start at 10.4 on road though. A discount here and there and he just might manage to get it around 10.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 14:01   #50

Hello,
Since the budget is 10 lakhs, I suggest to go with Wagon R and keep the balance 4 lakhs in FD. The 4 lakhs should double in about 10 years. Assess the situation then and sell Wagon R and buy any ideal Car at that stage. 30 years is too long timeline to plan for.

Cheers.
Ragsk747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 14:48   #51

Been there seen it movement!
@ashwinprakas couple of questions for you to start with:
1) Would the Gentleman like to enjoy his newfound freedom by making a couple of road trips in the upcoming year? (COVID lockdowns will definitely make people move around once the situation returns to normal anyhow question is would he be making use of his newfound freedom)
2) Is this car going to be driven only by the gentleman or would it be used by a driver? As in if it is a long travel would he be the sole driver, or would he prefer to be chauffeured around?
3) How tall and heavy is the gentleman?
4) I read that he prefers an Indian brand (my respect and admiration on that decision) how flexible is he with this point?
5) What is the maximum maintenance downtime he is ready to bite in for?

We still have our 2006 WagonR because of the following reasons:
1) Elders of the home find it easy with ingress and egress
2) Maintenance is cheap period!
3) Less electronics, Manual transmission and abuse friendly so drivers, relatives and at times neighbors too drive it around.
4) Elders donít travel long a lot, maximum two trips a year and we have other cars to do the highway duty.

Trivia: After 70+ its not prudent to drive much because of slower reflex & bad vision (there are exceptions for sure, I know a family friend who still drives around in his civic) add to the mix reckless drivers of the day. I would strongly suggest buying a car with 15 years as the target period and post this period hire a cab or lease a car as per the need. As I foresee frequency of travel diminishing after 15 years.
PradoGdr88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 14:49   #52
BHPian

Absolutely impractical demands! No way a car that is going to be bought today will stay good for 3 decades! Forget 3, even 2 decades is almost impossible. He needs to be given some sane advice. And as he ages it will be difficult to drive a manual car. He should buy an automatic, I would suggest upcoming Altroz DCT. With aging comes poor reflexes, reduced visual acuity etc. My dad got his Figo at age 70, by age 75 he started having accidents like scraping the doors and all. Had to rely on drivers. At retirement, if one is thinking of 30 years, I have to say it’s bit too optimistic, thinking 60 as age of retirement, how on earth is he planning to drive till 90?
The Rationalist is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 15:38   #53
BHPian

We have kept 2 cars for 20 years in my family and 2 crossed 12 years. Ambassador from 1979 till 2009 and Maruti 800 bought in 1999 till 2019. Alto in 2008 and is still thriving and Safari from 2008, sold in 2019. In between owned and sold many others.

There are many cars that will survive 20 years as I have seen them serving well even after 15 years, only this time the requirement is very specific. I would suggest a hatchback. No Sedans, MUV's and CSUV's because driving, reversing and parking them requires more effort. I would also go against any bulky hatchbacks like Baleno, altroz, i20, swift and others for the same reason. The person should go for a small hatchback with hassle free repairing, low cost maintainence and easy parts availability.

My suggestion will be to go for the pocket rocket Alto. Driving, reversing and parking is a breeze. Very low maintainence and repairing cost. I can vouch that it will defintely last 20 years without rust. My 800 had no rust even after 20 years and the 12 year alto has no signs of rust yet. It is parked in my Delhi flat which I go every 2 months or so and it starts and drives without any fuss. Go for VXi, it will come around at 4.20 lacs OTR.
Sran is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 15:40   #54
BHPian

Many have mentioned Maruti Alto...really?? The car has very low sitting and it will be unfriendly for the gentleman to get in and get out of the car (sitting and getting up). The space is more scarce in Alto than probably real estate in Mumbai. The engine may be good, refinement good but it is a terrible car with comfort being conspicuous by its absence and space is invisible (No offense to Alto owners). Would recommend a vehicle that has higher sitting considering age. On a side note when I went to purchase my first car in 2005 and tried Alto being the lowest in price, it was very difficult for me to fit myself in the car. I am 5'9 with normal build. The first experience is ingress and egress and then one immediately experience space / comfort. I just test drove it because I had asked for it but decided never to consider Alto. Applies to most Maruti cars where space or rather lack of it is noticed immediately. Finally bought Indica turbo. Even in Wagon R, driver and co-driver are rubbing shoulders or when the gear is changed the other person has to take away his leg. Phew!!!
Slowjet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 16:09   #55

My suggestion is to buy the Maruti S-Presso, base model and save invest cash remaining to buy another similar car after 15 years.

S-Presso is not as weak as an Alto and it has thelaŗ. At least the front seats are very very spacious and comfortable though back seats are only better than auto rickshaw back seats. It doesn't even have unnecessary features.
skatte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 16:31   #56
Senior - BHPian

He should actually not worry about 3 decades, but only a decade and buy a basic Alto 800 as of now.

His next car could be an electric which can last much longer due to less moving parts ( of course with battery replacements ).
silverado is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 17:00   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tata Altroz
Tata Nexon
Kia Seltos, I know its not Indian, but something about the car simply has me smitten.
When you've narrowed to so much, I would say Nexon is deal breaker; BTW, no body roll (I'm damn positive the gentleman is not going to cross over 100/110 Kmph until which Nexon is very steady). Older people prefer easy egress over anything else & Nexon is one such car. Seltos should be as well, but maintenance over long term & spares availability are going to be a big question.

Regarding your Estilo's experience, I'm still glad you were able to get the parts through Bodmo instead of nothing.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 18:18   #58
BHPian

Quote:

A middle aged gentleman I know is nearing retirement and is on the lookout for a 4 Wheeler that sits within the 10L price bracket OTR.
My father was in the same boat a few years ago and had his mind fixed on a Dzire (automatic gear). I made him change his mind and opt for a Wagon R Felicity Limited Edition. The car is straight-forward and still going strong.

Yes, the AMT isn't impressive but he loves driving the tall hatchback around. A simple car like the Wagon R can provide decades of service, especially if its maintained well. So, my vote is for the Wagon R, which is well below the Rs. 10 lakh budget set aside by your contact.
JojyKerala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 19:34   #59
BHPian

Let me start off by saying that I am a great fan of your posts on bikes. Hats off!!

With that out of the way, I would unabashedly recommend the Honda jazz CVT. A no frills, no nonsense, fill it shit it forget it, kind of a car of ever there was one.

It suits a sedate driver to the T. In fact I have bought one for my parents.
handsofsteel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 20:06   #60
BHPian

I would recommend the wagon R 1.2. It's simple, practical, spacious enough yet small dimensions make it very driveable. The steering is light yet the cars wider stance and reduced height means body roll is far lesser than say the bolero or any other such higher centre of gravity car.

Its a simple car so it will go with the personal and political image yet it will be simple to service and maintain unlike say a Tata which is always a pain to maintain (been there done that). I own an ertiga but my uncle owns this car and having riden in it I can safely say that if ertiga is 75% of what innova provides at half the cost, wagon R is 75% of ertiga at lower cost for someone who doesn't need so much real estate moving around.

Lastly and most importantly - it's a maruti. Whenever he feels like selling it buyers will come home to lead it out unlike a tata which is difficult to sell (my experience)

Whatever he decides is finally his call but I wish him happy retirement and hope he is able to enjoy this car on highways across the country (which the new wagon R is very capable of doing) and ticks off all the boxes on his bucket list
xsrahul is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed