Team-BHP > What Car?

View Poll Results: What new MT car would you buy at 9.5 lakhs on road budget?
Volkswagen Polo 1.0 Tsi 16 21.92%
Skoda Rapid Rider plus 1.0 Tsi 19 26.03%
Tata Altroz 1.5 diesel 38 52.05%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2020, 08:35   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

What new manual transmission car for 9.5 lakhs?

Hi BHPians,

I have been thinking about replacing my beater car, the 2016 Renault Kwid RXT(O) 1.0 which has run 44000 km. The new car will most probably become my daily driver.

Maximum budget is 9.5 lakhs OTR.
I have finalised between the following 3 cars. Vote which one you would like and state the reasons.

Volkswagen Polo Highline plus 1.0 TSI

1. Absolutely love the looks - the hottest looking hatchback in my opinion - timeless

2. Safety - 4 star crash rating

3. Build quality & Interior quality

4. Driving dynamics!

5. That sweet turbo petrol which is even better than their 1.2 tsi

Dislikes

1. Cramped at tbe rear - apt as a Kwid replacement but not really practical at those times when I need to move more than 1 passenger. We are a family of 6 footers with the shortest member being 5'7

2. 1.0 tsi is an internationally acclaimed engine, but we are still not sure about the long term reliability

3. While I am okay with 12-15 kmpl overall fuel efficiency, sub 12kmpl will be a No-no. I drive hard most of the times and that is a major concern here.

4. Not very confident with Volkswagen after sales and service.

5. Missing rear armrest (something I believe is essential when it is used by my dad being driven by the chauffeur), rear parking cam a glaring omission, no keyless entry or push button start even in the top trim.

6. 2 month waiting period

Skoda Rapid Rider +

1. Most elegant C2 sedan despite the age. Timeless and sleek.

2. Solid build quality and safety

3. Amazing suspension setup - great ride and handling balance - equally good driving dynamics as the polo

4. 1.0 turbo petrol

5. The black and beige interior theme makes the car look much much more airy than the claustrophobic polo

6. Essentials (most of them covered) - ACC, both front and rear armrests (I am a sucker for armrests), touchscreen (don't care about touchscreen or physical as long as it plays me audios and takes my calls) with Android auto and apple carplay, all 4 power windows, airbags and ABS, proper rear headrests, standard 15 inch (great for ride quality) with decent 185/60 section tyres.

7. 6 year Skoda warranty and 4 year maintenance package

8. A proper family sedan that can seat 4 tall adults in comfort - adequately spacious and very comfortable

9. Boot - more luggage capacity (not important to me though)

Dislikes :

1. Dealer attitude - they don't show any interest in selling the rider or rider plus. I get it that their margins are low on them, but hey, you get another customer to fleece during service!

2. Same reliability concern of the 1.0 tsi as expressed in polo dislikes

3. No promises on expected delivery period post-booking. No choice of colour by the customer on the rapid plus. Toffee brown / carbon steel / white - you get what gets allotted to you. I find this stupid. In my case I already have a brown sedan and another white car. I would atleast want my choice of colour in my new car. They make us feel as though they give the car to us for free.

4. Skoda horror stories

5. Very basic MID - no FTE, average fuel efficiency display

While I have been juggling between both the above options that was in my heart, my mind came into the soup and added to the confusion, with some logic and practicality

Tata Altroz 1.5 XT

1. Another great looking hatchback

2. Safest in the segment - 5 star crash rating and good build quality

3. Great balance between ride and handling - I am reading that it is very close to the figos and polos when it comes to driving dynamics

4. The 1.5 diesel is proven (going by Nexon ownerships) and is peppy. Though it puts out just 90 bhp, drive reports say the car is fun to drive

5. Spacious - a proper family car for 4 large adults and a kid

6. Interior quality is better than most cars in the segment

7. Frugal diesel - 25 kmpl ARAI, actual overall efficiency will easily be 16 kmpl (I drive a lot)

8. Tata A.S.S is a known devil (will be my 7th Tata car, 2nd from the same dealer)

9. Steering mounted controls, ACC, touchscreen infotainment, push button, keyless entry, good audio system etc

Dislikes

1. Overpriced vis a vis petrol variants

2. Some essentials missing - front and rear armrests, rear headrests, alloy wheels, rear wiper / defogger, boring Speedo console with black and white info display, no rear ac vents

3. I don't like the interior theme as much as I liked the rapid. Rapid/polo might be a 10 year old design but their interior quality still feels better.

4. Though 1.5 diesel is frugal and peppy, it isn't as exciting as the 1.0 tsi

5. The 5 speed gearbox in the Altroz is from Tiago and it is definitely inferior to the comparatively slick 6 speed MT from the VAG twins

6. Tata QC is something one needs to adjust to

7. Low top end performance and very audible motor at higher rpms(while 1.0 tsi is also audible, it sounds a bit sporty)

Let's see which of the three cars get more votes from BHPians.

I did not consider Figo/freestyle diesels because I didn't like the interior quality. Not really into new i20 unless it is priced really well, which I don't think Hyundai would. Not at all interested in compact SUVs. Also too skeptical to trust used cars.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th November 2020 at 19:06. Reason: Typo
PrasannaDhana is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 08:51   #2
BANNED

Re: What new manual transmission car for 9.5 lakhs?

I am a typical "there is no replacement for displacement" guy, so it is a big NO from my end for all these puny 1.0l engines; they simply don't have that 'real low end' which makes the driving in city and hills a breeze.

Hence, my vote goes for Altroz 1.5 D.
VKumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 08:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
2. 1.0 tsi is an internationally acclaimed engine, but we are still not sure about the long term reliability

3. While I am okay with 12-15 kmpl overall fuel efficiency, sub 12kmpl will be a No-no. I drive hard most of the times and that is a major concern here.

I did not consider Figo/freestyle diesels because I didn't like the interior quality.
If you drive hard, the 1 liter TSI is doubtful to offer above 12 kmpl especially in normal day to day city conditions. From what I have seen, it would offer slightly less. If you can accommodate this slight reduction, the TSI would be a good choice. I personally am also wary of the VW's after sales and therefore, hesitant to put the VW in my personal shortlist.

I would also reconsider the Freestyle diesel once more, it seems to offer the best of several worlds. Yes the interior quality cannot be compared with the German twins, but Fords are generally pretty well built with solid mechanicals as well. The TDCI on the Freestyle is real fun to drive.
arindambasu13 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 09:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Although no specific suggestion of a car, pick a car from a brand that has at least 2 service centers in your city/town. From my experience , monopoly in service results in sub par service and customer experience since they know you have no where else to go to.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 09:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Going by the usage of your Ciaz(which I assumed is the daily driver), I think none of the three can be your "daily driver" considering the mileage you put on it.

1. VW/Skoda might be heavy on maintenance and dealers in smaller cities(Trichy?) might screw you over (you can find FNGs though).
2. Tatas might not be miggle free, and looks like you're not too inclined towards the Altroz.

However, the above two points won't apply if your usage pattern will be similar to the Kwid. In that case, I'd suggest the Rapid as it is more comfortable.

EDIT: I know you mentioned no used cars, but this might be a great opportunity to get a used Corolla.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 4th November 2020 at 09:16.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 09:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

If your not comfortable with the Skoda dealer, check out the Vento Comfortline. It's got more features at a small incremental price than the Rapid Rider after considering the discounts on offer.

1.0 TSI can be fuel efficient when driven sedately but can also drink fuel like nobody's business when driven hard. Consider this seriously since you seem to have a sporty driving style.

Honestly, I would wait for the new i20 before taking a decision. A 100 BHP diesel should be fun to drive and fuel efficient. Also Hyundai has improved in ride and handling ever since they started participating in WRC.
Turbohead is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 09:51   #7
BHPian

I would wait for the new i20 to make this decision. Although the 1.0 engine may not be available with a manual, the 1.2 and diesel will be. You may want to consider the turbo nios as well as it falls right into your budget.

Side note: Maybe look at the Baleno as well, if you can look past the sheet metal quality.
AJ18 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 10:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did not consider Figo/freestyle diesels because I didn't like the interior quality. Not really into new i20 unless it is priced really well, which I don't think Hyundai would. Not at all interested in compact SUVs. Also too skeptical to trust used cars.
I'd have easily recommended Vitara Brezza or XUV300 to you if compact SUVs were in consideration. Skipping this segment at this price point really cuts down your choices. If SUV tag is what worries you, let me tell you these pseudo SUVs are just more practical hatchbacks. You'll not find that robust and crude feeling of your Storme in any of these compact SUVs. These cars are just as easy to drive around as any typical family hatchback.

From the trio shortlisted by you, I'd pick the Altroz just for the fact that it's a diesel. Fuel bills for turbo petrol cars will surely pinch your pocket once you start putting them to daily use.

Last edited by self_driven : 4th November 2020 at 10:40.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 10:38   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Hi BHPians,

The new car will most probably become my daily driver.
What's wrong with continuing with the ciaz as the daily driver?
turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 11:06   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
What's wrong with continuing with the ciaz as the daily driver?
Ciaz stays as the daily driver. The new car might just be another car that shares the daily load (might be 3 days a week). And the fact that the ciaz is ultra frugal, I opened my choices to turbo petrols. Else I wouldn't even think about N/A petrols usually.

Ciaz has also done 1,27,000 km and I am hoping to keep it till the 8 year mark atleast(5 years old now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post

I would also reconsider the Freestyle diesel once more, it seems to offer the best of several worlds. Yes the interior quality cannot be compared with the German twins, but Fords are generally pretty well built with solid mechanicals as well. The TDCI on the Freestyle is real fun to drive.
I have driven the Figo diesel. While I liked the test drive and that capable engine, I read from official reviews that the lower back support is lacking. My regular day of driving will involve minimum 100 km. So seat comfort has to be a priority.

Moreover Figo / freestyle scores lot lesser than the other three cars here when it comes to looks. I like good looking cars. The Kwid for that matter is one cute car. Ford - Mahindra JV is also a concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post

1. VW/Skoda might be heavy on maintenance and dealers in smaller cities(Trichy?) might screw you over (you can find FNGs though).
2. Tatas might not be miggle free, and looks like you're not too inclined towards the Altroz.

However, the above two points won't apply if your usage pattern will be similar to the Kwid. In that case, I'd suggest the Rapid as it is more comfortable.

EDIT: I know you mentioned no used cars, but this might be a great opportunity to get a used Corolla.
We already have a Rapid TDI (2013, 1,70,000 km run). The maintenance is on par with my ciaz (I pay 10k thrice for 30k total km service for Ciaz while 15k twice for 30k km on rapid).

Corolla may be very practical and comfortable but not at all fun to drive. I already have such a car (Ciaz) and want something livelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post

Honestly, I would wait for the new i20 before taking a decision. A 100 BHP diesel should be fun to drive and fuel efficient. Also Hyundai has improved in ride and handling ever since they started participating in WRC.
I love the looks of new i20 barring the ugly chrome strip at the rear. The 1.5 diesel of Hyundai is the best in segment but the Hyundai isn't as well built as the others. But we have to wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ18 View Post

Side note: Maybe look at the Baleno as well, if you can look past the sheet metal quality.
Mate, I already own a tin can, and the build quality is the only aspect I dislike in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
I'd have easily recommended Vitara Brezza or XUV300 to you if compact SUVs were in consideration.
I am not a fan of compact SUVs (except EcoSport though). I like being seated low.

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th November 2020 at 12:47. Reason: Back to back posts.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 16:01   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Go with the poor man's Golf GTI. I think it's sufficiently accessible to mainstream buyers in terms of purchase price and ownership costs. Polo TSI is an anomaly in our Indian car market that is always suspecious of ownership costs of good looking, well built, fun to drive cars. GOAT hatch
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 19:46   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

From the list you've provided, I would go with the Rapid 1.0 TSI. Old, but timeless. Fast, safe, excellent suspension.

Would strongly recommend waiting for the new i20, especially because of the engines it's coming with. Hyundais these days have sorted road manners too.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 20:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. No choice of colour by the customer on the rapid plus. Toffee brown / carbon steel / white - you get what gets allotted to you. I find this stupid.
I think this is untrue and plain dealer salesman own dreamland story. Its not possible that you will get any color alloted. One can digest certain colors with more waiting period depending on the lot received but not this.
dipen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 21:28   #14
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the Rapid only if you can stretch for the Ambition. The Rider+ is too basic when you compare it to the Polo. Also, since this is not going to be your primary daily driver, I don't think that the extra boot space or the sedan prestige will play a major role here.

However, I would recommend waiting for the new i20 as I am pretty sure that at least the Sportz diesel manual would be available for around the 9.5L on road mark. Even in the Sportz trim, I would expect it to be much better equipped than the Rider+ and match the Polo Highline in terms of equipment or perhaps even exceed it slightly. Thus the new i20 could be the best of both worlds, being frugal and decent to drive.

Voted for the Polo.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 21:34   #15
BHPian

Since you want that extra punch and don't care about the mileage, go for the Polo. The only grouse may be the cramped interior and VW A.S.S.

The WRV is also a good option. Not sure as to why you haven't considered it.
Sreesh1009 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed