Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2020, 22:18   #1
BHPian

Which automatic car for 10 - 12L OTR has cruise control?

My friend from Kerala is in the market for a new car and he isn't too particular about the car type. He travels extensively between states, and also drives the car in city traffic.

He's particular about three requirements for his next car:
- It has to be automatic. 4AT is not an option (looking at you, Brezza/UC)
- It has to have Cruise Control.
- Safety rating of atleast 4 (if available) or a car that checks all safety checkboxes.

Ideally, the car is < 10L OTR upto a maximum of < 12L OTR.

It's been difficult trying to find a car that fits the bill.

There's the VW Polo that sort of just makes it under 12L, but he's apprehensive about the service and the small boot for what he's forking.

For other cars, he's having to select the top trim in most cases to satisfy all his requirements, thus exceeding the 12L limit.

Like Clarkson says, "How hard can it be?"

Last edited by hellmet : 24th November 2020 at 22:24.
hellmet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 22:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Which automatic car for 10 - 12L OTR has cruise control?

Honda Jazz V CVT has cruise control and cost you under 10L. You can also go for the top VX variant.
Latheesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 22:31   #3
anb
BHPian

Looks like polo is the ideal car. 4 stars, 6 speed TC and cruise control. Polo’s boot is not small at 285 litres.
anb is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 22:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

If he bargains properly, he can probably get a good deal on the Vento automatic. It's slightly difficult but worth a shot considering his specific requirements.
Turbohead is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 22:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
My friend from Kerala is in the market for a new car

-----------

VW Polo for sure. Service is not so bad in Kerala, we've owned a Polo before, but costly. Boot space is okay for hatchback standards. No reverse camera though. . Can be fitted at dealer for 10k.

My brother took delivery of his Polo Highline Plus AT last week at Kozhikode, Kerala. Here's the breakup of the cost. 30k discounts include 25k for exchange bonus and 5k corporate. Your friend might be able to get a good deal near to 10L owing to end of the year.
Which automatic car for 10 - 12L OTR has cruise control?-screenshot_20201124224105.jpg

Last edited by janakiram_m : 24th November 2020 at 22:57.
janakiram_m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 22:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
My friend from Kerala is in the market for a new car and he isn't too particular about the car type. He travels extensively between states, and also drives the car in city traffic.
The Polo Highline+ AT is Sub 10.5L rupees on the road today. Has all the features you would need. Service experiences could be sketchy, but the 5 Year Warranty on a new car should help. A quick summary from my end :-
  • Famous as a Safe, Robust Car.
  • Powerful 1.0 TSI Engine.
  • A 6 Speed Torque converter which should be reliable and is fairly quick.
  • Cruise Control, Rain Sensing Wipers, Android Auto-CarPlay
  • Low On Rear Space
  • Service costs undoubtedly will be higher than most sub 10L cars.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th November 2020 at 19:19. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
fluidicjoy is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 22:55   #7

Quote:
...He's particular about three requirements for his next car:
- It has to be automatic. 4AT is not an option (looking at you, Brezza/UC)
- It has to have Cruise Control.
- Safety rating of atleast 4 (if available) or a car that checks all safety checkboxes.

Ideally, the car is < 10L OTR upto a maximum of < 12L OTR....
Yikes, that's a fairly robust set of requirements for that price bracket! Many are available with the first two, but 4-star safety rating is a tall order. The only car I can think of that fits the bill is the Honda Amaze: it received a 4-star NCAP rating in 2019, and the VX CVT version comes with cruise control and is about 10.2 OTR in Kochi.

Otherwise, there's the Jazz and the Aura. AFAIK, the India-spec versions of these cars haven't been tested by NCAP, but they do come with CC. And of course, there's the Polo, which I personally believe your friend is right to be skeptical about... you do get very little car for what it costs.

Quote:
Richard: DON'T SAY THAT!
Invariance is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 23:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Honda Jazz V CVT has cruise control and cost you under 10L. You can also go for the top VX variant.
My bad. I should have mentioned that he currently owns a Jazz (magic-seats version). He's test-driven the new Jazz and considers it to be a downgrade in terms of engine-refinement, CVT performance, and is already unhappy with the underpowered 1.2L engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
If he bargains properly, he can probably get a good deal on the Vento automatic. It's slightly difficult but worth a shot considering his specific requirements.
I'll let him know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janakiram_m View Post
VW Polo for sure. Service is not so bad in Kerala, we've owned a Polo before, but costly. Boot space is okay for hatchback standards. No reverse camera though. . Can be fitted at dealer for 10k.

My brother took delivery of his Polo Highline Plus AT last week at Kozhikode, Kerala. Here's the breakup of the cost. 30k discounts include 25k for exchange bonus and 5k corporate. Your friend might be able to get a good deal near to 10L owing to end of the year.
Thanks for the quote. I believe he was looking at a higher model, so this information helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
The Polo Highline+ AT is Sub 10.5L rupees on the road today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invariance View Post
Honda Amaze

Aura

Richard: DON'T SAY THAT!
Both the Amaze and Aura offer their cruise control on the MT version only and not the AT version. It doesn't make sense, but it is what it is.
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 12:30   #9

Re: Which automatic car for 10 - 12L OTR has cruise control?

Quote:
Both the Amaze and Aura offer their cruise control on the MT version only and not the AT version. It doesn't make sense, but it is what it is.
My bad, didn't think to check if they had limited CC to MT. Didn't think that I needed to .

If your friend is willing to stretch their max budget, the XUV300 W8 AMT meets all three criteria. It has a 6-speed AMT, which isn't the best technology in the price range, but it works. And you may be able to wrangle a decent discount on it around Christmas/New Year's time. The Rapid and Vento would also fit the bill, but the automatic+CC-equiped variants are even more expensive than the XUV300.

Another option is to wait for Nissan to reveal the pricing of the Magnite. It looks set to undercut the competition by quite a bit, so it may fall into your friend's budget bracket while meeting the automatic+CC demand. The caveat is that there won't be any official safety ratings for this vehicle unless Nissan has already volunteered the car to NCAP for testing (which I sincerely doubt it has.) Also, there may be a lengthy waiting period for it.

I hope you guys figure this out. If I needed a CC+automatic car urgently, I'd go for the Rapid, but that's only a vehicle I'd recommend to enthusiasts with the patience to deal with Skoda's after-sales support.
Invariance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 09:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

@hellmet Your friend is in luck and that too the timing.

The Nissan Magnite ticks all the boxes. The safety part we don't know yet as it yet to be tested. Otherwise based on the budget and requirements the car fits your friend well. I tend to think Nissans might be more reliable than Volkswagens. Correct me if I am wrong. Ask your friend to check the car out !
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 09:50   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

The Ford EcoSport Titanium AT which was recently launched one variant below the Titanium+ AT can be an option. It slightly above the budget mentioned at ₹12.7L but try pushing for discounts and you can get a good price. Ford Midnight Surpise offers are going on till 6th Dec where the dealerships will be open till midnight. I feel atleast space wise it is better than the Polo and gets the required cruise control and paddle shifters as well.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 09:56   #12
BHPian

Since the requirement is to do long journeys and in turn means lots of potential open roads, I would suggest the combination of Turbo petrol and dual clutch for effortless commute and some fun as well. I thoroughly enjoyed my Hyundai Venue's driving comfort for long journeys and I'm glad I decided to over looks it's design for this engine gearbox combo. It comes with a good cruise control system as well. However the prices are above your budget. I think the top end SX+ is for 13.64 Kerala and some year end discounts are being offered. With the new variant you get the latest Creta Steering with paddles and TPMS. Alternatively do consider the Nissan Magnite XV CVT before you make a decision as well.
Old 4th December 2020, 10:05   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
@hellmet Your friend is in luck and that too the timing.

The Nissan Magnite ticks all the boxes. The safety part we don't know yet as it yet to be tested. Otherwise based on the budget and requirements the car fits your friend well. I tend to think Nissans might be more reliable than Volkswagens. Correct me if I am wrong. Ask your friend to check the car out !
Surely the Magnite is his best bet. I too think that the a Jap would be a better car than a German and for what the Magnite offers, you would not even take a second look.
EightSix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 12:11   #14

Respectfully, I disagree with calls for buying a Magnite. OP's friend is not a car person and travels between states frequently. For these two reasons alone, I believe OP's friend should avoid the Magnite for the time being.

My reasoning is that the Magnite is a car based on an entirely new platform. It is a very light vehicle for its size. In fact, I worry that the vehicle is, at over 150 kilograms lighter than its class competitors, too light. That does not bode well for the safety or the ride of the vehicle. Further, to recommend a new vehicle model to a non-car person means to potentially subject them to all the hassles and niggles that early adopters face. I hope it isn't the case, but if there is something off with the Magnite's CVT, or its engine, or anything really, new owners will have a tough time ahead. Further, Nissan's support network is miniscule at the moment, so it will be difficult for new owners to easily sort out any major issues for at least 6 months.

I am very impressed with the Magnite's value proposition. Unlike the overpriced Sonet and XUV300, the Magnite is very competitive. Unlike the XUV, however, the Magnite's safety and reliability remain questionable.
Invariance is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 19:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

If your friend is okay with driving an AMT, the Nexon might suit him very well. It has a 5* safety rating, has cruise control and is an excellent overall proposition.

Most Viewed