Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2020, 15:37   #31
BHPian

Re: Should I replace my Jeep Compass? Need rear seat comfort

WOW!!

That's quiet a conundrum you've got yourself into. Excellent suggestions by various members but somehow I don't see anything suiting your requirements.

So just adding my 2 cents to add a bit more to the confusion.

Since your kid is suffering from motion sickness and you want a car with rear A/C vents as well as plusher seats at the rear and you are also open to used cars as an option - how come you haven't considered the Skoda Superb??
The service and maintenance cost can be a bit of a worry - but you can always get the car inspected properly before you make up your mind for it. Nowadays there are a lot of repair shops which are capable of handling these cars which would be way cheaper than the official service centres.

Since you are in Hyderabad - I am pretty sure there would be quiet a few decently maintained Superbs if you start looking around.
Old 5th December 2020, 16:34   #32
BHPian

Hi own a 2014 Honda City and Mahindra Marazzo. Many people have suggested the Honda city for rear seat comfort. I would recommend against it. Although city has good legroom and great seats, the suspension destroys all comfort. It is stiff at low speeds and gets very uncomfortable on long drives. On top of this it has poor sound insulation and you get lot of wind and tyre noise at highway speeds. I get a lot of complaints from the rear seat of the Honda City.

My wife who is very susceptible to motion sickness finds the rear seat of Marazzo much more comfortable than the Honda City. So please consider the Marazzo if you are looking at comfort. Also buy the 16inch tyre variant which has superior ride to the 17inch top variant.
JediKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 15:31   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliontile View Post
I have this dilemma since before the pandemic. ..........................I am also open to any suggestions on making the Jeep Compass's ride and rear seat better like rear seat customizations, suspension changes etc.
Curious to know what you did eventually? I have a similar but not same issue that I am facing with rear seat comfort/space.

Last edited by sunilch : 25th January 2022 at 15:49.
Old 25th January 2022, 17:35   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
You can remove the front-seat head rest or fold it down if it is not occupied.

Expensive and plush cars can also give motion sickness as your body gets fewer signals about motion

Hi,

+1 to being aware of external signals to avoid motion sickness. Towards this,

a). opening windows is useful to let fresh air in. However if exhaust related pollution is a concern, a sunroof with a partial tilt open (to let just sufficient fresh air in) may help and here is where cars without a sunroof will have a challenge.

Did see the comment on inadequate cooling in for 2nd row where rear A/c is not present.
Workaround: Direct the front passenger side vents towards the 2nd row/ towards the closed windows with vents in fully open position. Keep the driver's A/c vents partially open and directed away.

b). being aware of direction of travel is important. Here is where seating in 2nd row of a sedan may not help much. Unless one is able to remove front seat headrest/ fold the passenger seat partially.

Would the new 'Safari' with stadium seating allowing a good direct view of the road and also the sunroof (for fresh air), bright interiors and reasonably good ride help with this situation ?

Thanks.
Old 1st August 2022, 22:00   #35
BHPian

Sorry about the extremely delayed reply, space post got late :P
So, a lot happened in 2 years, whole family got covid and we had a pretty anxious few weeks during that time. Long story short I understood the importance of having a fit body and a fit balance sheet. So started cutting down on excess fat physically and monetarily. While thanking my stars (and the angel that’s my wife) for insisting on taking a private health insurance, I also realised the futility of holding 3 cars between two adults who are in no way getting any younger.
So, I had put up my Palio for sale at Cars24 last year and got token advance from them in exchange for the original RC. I requested for a couple of days time to hand over the vehicle. On the d-day before driving out of the drive way to cars24, whole family got into the palio for bidding farewell and taking some pics. Within the next few minutes none of them wanted to get out of the car or wanted it to be sold!

After a few emotional moments, decided to not sell it. And over the next few weeks I put up the Compass for sale, sold it to a local business man. Spent a couple of Ls on the palio to spruce it up, fix all known issues, repair the broken rear bumper, redo the dashboard to get rid of scratched and faded look. And last but not least got the whole body stripped and repainted with the Punto’s medium grey shade instead of the original magnesium grey. No change in RC as I doubt the cops would know the difference between magnesium grey and medium grey.
After an year, I still have a few niggling issues in the Palio that need to be sorted (nothing that threatens a breakdown) but i will start a separate thread on it along with pictures of my rejuvenated beauty!

Thank you all for the suggestions in this thread. One big takeaway for me - driving fatigue is now a thing of the past for me with reduced stress levels and better fitness. Got rid of the driver and started driving myself again. I will consider replacing my Palio only when it starts falling apart completely, right now it looks at least another 3-5 years away!
paliontile is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed