Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2007, 00:13   #1

Help me decide between Tata Indica Xeta DLG 1.2 and DLX 1.4

Hi Friends,
After lot of research at Team-BHP, I've finally zeroed in on Tata Indica Xeta Petrol for myself. But it seems the problem is far from over. Now I'm confused between Xeta DLG 1.2 and Xeta DLX 1.4
I would highly appreciate if my fellow TBHPians can help me out and tell me the PROS and CONS of each of these models. Just remember the following points.

1. I'll be diving less than 500kms a month though it might go upto 1200 kms/month at a later stage.
2. The driving will mostly be in the bumper to bumper traffic conditions (Welcome to Bangalore!) with occasional highway trips.
3. I want to know the advantages/disadvantages of Indica 1.2l engine vis-a-vis 1.4l engine. How is the FE of these two engines?
4. After test drive, I didn't find too much of a power difference between the two, so I'm okay with both of them though I would prefer the top-end model (DLX 1.4) if the fall in FE is not too high (<2km/l).
5. And last but not the least, I've to decide within next few days.

I'm sure to get wonderful advices from you all as always.

Thanks,
Ashley
Old 12th April 2007, 13:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi ashj,
welcome to Team-BHP.

Quote:
After lot of research at Team-BHP, I've finally zeroed in on Tata Indica Xeta Petrol for myself.
Generally , people after a lot of research at Team-BHP would have decided to buy a palio or a baleno or a OHC Vtec or at least a Swift. Now, how come you decided on a TATA Indica ? Have you considered the Palio stile 1.1 ? A far better option to the Indica. TATA petrols have not had any great reviews.
Old 12th April 2007, 14:23   #3
Team-BHP Support

ashj, the 1.2 is adequate in the city, but loses grunt somewhat on the highways.
So if your driving is mostly in city 1.2 makes more sense for you.
The 1.2 will give you more FE, and the difference may touch 2kmpl depending on your driving style.
As for qualities the recent indicas/indigo's in the family(2003 onwards) are trouble free from electrical or mechanical faults, inspite of being used in Semi - Off-road environment.

Quote:
Generally , people after a lot of research at Team-BHP would have decided to buy a palio or a baleno or a OHC Vtec or at least a Swift. Now, how come you decided on a TATA Indica ? Have you considered the Palio stile 1.1 ? A far better option to the Indica. TATA petrols have not had any great reviews.
Having driven the Palio 1.2 and Indica 1.4(p), I did not find much difference. If anything the indica felt peppier. Palio has slightly better interiors, but apart from that nothing much.
I am not sure if the Palio 1.1 will be a better performer than the 1.2 palio.
My observation is from a few years ago, and the indica and palio in condition were the Oct-Nov 2002 versions. Now the Palio is running LPG, and the sales service support is excellent since its provided by a non Tata/Fiat guy.

I guess 15000 people buy an indica every month, so there much be something better in that car than something which costs less and sells 250 units a month.
Old 12th April 2007, 14:32   #4
BANNED

I'm sure you mean the GLG 1.2 vs. the GLX 1.4

I've owned an Indica V2 LSi (pre-Xeta 1.4 petrol) for 4 years and 78000 km now.

Pros:
Seating comfort
Space
Good ride
Ability to take a lot of abuse

Cons:
Refinement
High dashboard - not an issue for me though
Pedal placement - slightly awkward initially

I've had some trouble with the alternator (the regulator in particular) and the A/C but these are Lucas and Behr respectively.Also some silencer trouble in the early days.

Overall FE is 11 kpl - 90% city 10% highway. A/C always on. The car has never let me down and I would not hesitate to take it on a long trip anytime. Nothing has fallen off either.

I don't have much first hand experience with the Xeta versions but in bumper to bumper traffic with the A/C on, expect around 10 to 11 kpl

Go for the GLX 1.4 - it comes with more power and goodies that you might desire/ wish for later.

Some people on this forum will list 'taxi image' as a con but personally, I don't care.

If after doing a lot of research, you've narrowed down on the Indica, I don't think I need to tell you to consider only genuine owner feedback.
Old 12th April 2007, 14:37   #5
BHPian

Agree with tsk here - the Xeta 1.2 though has decent low-end torque for city driving, but loses grunt around 2500 rpm, unlike the 1.4 which keeps on pulling till 4000 rpm (a bit crudely though), which is the range you will look at for overtaking on highways.

Have no idea about the FE, but I guess the 1.2 will not give more than 2 km/l more than the 1.4 version.

Also, are there any major equipement differences between the 1.2 and 1.4. The 1.4 should be the top-end model.
Old 12th April 2007, 15:02   #6
Team-BHP Support

Well Ashj... Indica Xeta is a very capable, if a little understated car. Although that is also showing signs of alievating with the number of Xetas adding up on the road.

Considering that you are mostly going to be in city I would say the GLG is always going to be sufficient for you. It is a peppy car with high comfort value. In any case the G versions (in both petrol and diesel) are better value over their X versions. Btw, as hrag said, Xetas are GLG and GLX. DLG and DLX are diesel models.

Talking about FE I can tell you about the 1.2 motor. I have tested it myself. If you are a steady driver and not given to those signal drag races, know your clutch and the RPMs it returns a very respectable 13.5kmpl or so... in city, with intermittent AC (say 60%).

About other views of people always check whether you are talking to someone who has owned and driven the car extensively or merely expressing his ideas, guesses and hearsay. You can then experience the car yourself and only after that take an educated decision. Obviously what works for one person may not work for another. Just because I am satisfied with the car may not endear it to another person. So hear all the "facts" and then be your own judge. In that respect your own judgement should always be final, even over what an owner says or feels.

Happy motoring.
Old 12th April 2007, 16:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I guess 15000 people buy an indica every month, so there much be something better in that car than something which costs less and sells 250 units a month.
i am no sure about the 15000 unit (i don't know about it passing the market leader ALTO which sells 12000 ) but when the palio were launched they out sold the indica with a huge gap

but the A.s.s let the car down
the palio is a overall better car than a indica way better and a palio will last longer

Last edited by manikjeet : 12th April 2007 at 16:05.
Old 12th April 2007, 17:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
i am no sure about the 15000 unit (i don't know about it passing the market leader ALTO which sells 12000 ) but when the palio were launched they out sold the indica with a huge gap
As per Mar-07 figures, the Indica sells 15k cars now, though the Alto is much higher at around 22k.

Dont agree with the second statement too - the Indica diesel outsold Palio almost three to one. No need to mention about the petrol version here.
Old 13th April 2007, 00:29   #9

Thank you all. Yes, I meant GLG1.2 and GLX1.4 Sorry about that :-(
One area where I would need some input is the resale value of Xeta. Has anyone on this forum sold 2-3 year old Petrol Indica? If yes, how much could you recover (in terms of percentage of buying price)? Somebody told me that Diesel Indica has a very good resale value but you'll get almost nothing for Petrol Indica if you sell after 3-4 years. Is this true?

Thanks once again.
Old 15th April 2007, 14:37   #10

I took the test rides once again for both GLG 1.2L and GLX 1.4L one after the other and decided to go for GLX. I've booked the GLX variant and expecting the delivery in 1st week of May as the desired color was not in stock.
Thank you all once again for your insights and advice.

Most Viewed