Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2020, 09:07   #1
BHPian

CVT Automatic car for dad - Honda Jazz vs Toyota Yaris

I am looking to buy a petrol automatic car for my father who is 71 years old and lives at Bhilwara (town in Rajasthan, close to Udaipur). Bhilwara is the textile capital of India and due to large number of rich businessmen, the number of cars in the town is very high even though the roads and infra are like an average Indian town. Owing to this there is a lot of congestion and driving/parking a big car could be an issue without a driver. Also, one can expect a monthly incident of scratches owing to large number of unruly 2-wheelers. So there is no point of going overboard with the most premium car as there would be a lot heartburn.

Currently he drives a 11-year-old 4+ meter diesel manual Dzire (57k km done). Following are the requirements for the new car:

1. Should be an automatic – ease of driving within the town (90% of the mileage). For highway, he does not prefer driving and thus either hires a driver or a taxi
2. Build type is not a constraint - Sedan or CSUV or premium hatchback
3. Budget: 10-15 lakhs (least of the constraint)
4. Negative list of brands - Maruti (poor crash ratings, used Maruti for 11 years) or Kia/Hyundai (don’t trust the brand, brake failure incidents) or Tata (can’t bother father with frequent visits to service station for niggles)
5. No brand which does not have dealership in Bhilwara – VW, Skoda, Nissan

Keeping everything in mind, I have narrowed down my search to Yaris or Jazz. I have checked the pricing and availability with the dealers here and here is the dilemma:

A. We really like Jazz VX CVT, but for 90k more we are getting Yaris J Opt CVT which is a bigger car and bigger engine (=better masking of CVT shortcomings)
B. If we consider Yaris G Opt CVT, then it is just about 1.15 lakh away from City V CVT which is the segment leader

Name:  pricing.png
Views: 11011
Size:  55.8 KB

Yaris J OPT CVT vs G OPT CVT
The price difference is 1.6 lakhs for about 15 features which are missing in J variant. I have applied the “real-use” case filter as per my father’s usage and here are my observations:
Features which matter – speed sensing auto door lock, impact sensing auto door unlock, electrically foldable ORVM
Not sure if these features matter - Steering controls, Auto AC
Feature that does not matter – Rear and front fog lamp, chrome grille, ORVM turn indicator, TFT MID, roof mounted air vent with ambient light, smart entry, push start-stop, rear defogger, fabric type 1

Toyota has agreed to buyback the old Dzire for 2.3 lakhs which is a fair price. I am also assuming that I will buy the 35k audio system (comes with reverse camera) if I buy Yaris and I have added this to the calculation. Also, I am not sure if Yaris facelift if coming in 2021. Please suggest.

Jazz VX CVT vs City V CVT
Jazz VX is a well loaded variant including rear parking camera and ample of space inside the cabin. We liked it in the first go. The only negatives are that I am not sure of the build quality of the bumpers (thumb press test) and the dealer if offering only 1.5 lakhs for the old car (which means we will have to scout for an external buyer as the fair value of Dzire is around 2-2.5 lakhs. City V CVT Is a no brainer but would cost the maximum.

I understand that I am comparing cars across segments. But frankly, my yardstick is to buy a hassle free car which seems like a value proposition. Any suggestions on the following lines would be very helpful:

1. Any other models which I have missed out?
2. Should I push dealers for more discount?
3. What constraints to add to the decision criteria so as to make a decision?

I am in Bhilwara currently and want to close on this purchase before I go back to Mumbai in Dec end. Please suggest. Thanks in advance.
manish84 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 09:34   #2
BHPian

re: CVT Automatic car for dad - Honda Jazz vs Toyota Yaris

My suggestion will be to stick with the Jazz primarily because your usage is entirely city-based and lugging the additional length in the lanes and parking etc. will be an issue always. Maybe you should also look at the V Jazz if the features on VX are an overkill for your usage.
Tapish is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 09:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
Yaris J OPT CVT vs G OPT CVT
Jazz VX CVT vs City V CVT
I recommend going for the Hondas. If you need the bootspace, go for the city and if you don't go for the Jazz. The Toyota might be a good proposition but low sales do not make it a good choice once TKM pulls the plug on the Yaris, since I'm not sure about spares availability in the future.
akash_v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 09:43   #4
BHPian

Quote:
1. Any other models which I have missed out?
2. Should I push dealers for more discount?
3. What constraints to add to the decision criteria so as to make a decision?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Maybe you should also look at the V Jazz if the features on VX are an overkill for your usage.
1. Your intended use case actually warrants the Jazz V CVT.
2. Yes - https://www.hondacarindia.com/offers
3. Don’t overspend for features which will be of no use to you/your father.

Your wise decision process has made this selection extremely easy. Get the Jazz V CVT if you want a hatchback. Get a Yaris J Opt CVT if you want a sedan.

I really don’t think your dad is going to use (or even need) the performance of the 1.5L NAs of the Yaris/City.

Good luck!

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 16th December 2020 at 09:47.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 09:49   #5
KPR
BANNED

I'm a fan for Yaris now for it's VFM tag esp the G and J variants. You can get a full fledged sedan at the cost of a premium hatchback with most features. So my obvious suggestion is to go for G or J Yaris. As such J CVT is a wonderful option but the main miss is lack of steering mounted controls. See if your dad can manage without that.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 09:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

I know you have written that you are not considering Maruti cars because of their build quality, but I would still suggest you to have a look at Vitara Brezza / Urban Cruiser.

I feel it would suit your requirement.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 10:09   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Bhilwara is the textile capital of India and due to large number of rich businessmen, the number of cars in the town is very high even though the roads and infra are like an average Indian town. Owing to this there is a lot of congestion and driving/parking a big car could be an issue without a driver. Also, one can expect a monthly incident of scratches owing to large number of unruly 2-wheelers. So there is no point of going overboard with the most premium car as there would be a lot heartburn
Part highlighted in BOLD itself seals the deal for Honda Jazz as the car to be picked up.

Also the CVT is good enough for any usage. My suggestion is to pick - Jazz VX CVT.
a4anurag is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 10:43   #8
BHPian

A very similar situation except for a lower budget, so went for a pre-owned 2018 honda jazz V CVT done just 5k for 7.5L in Chennai. So far it has been a good experience although it hasn't been taken out on the highway yet.

It has very good interior space as well so unless you want the boot space of a sedan the new Jazz VX CVT would be my pick.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 10:46   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
The Toyota might be a good proposition but low sales do not make it a good choice once TKM pulls the plug on the Yaris, since I'm not sure about spares availability in the future.
Is this a real possibility? Should I worry about Yaris parts not available in future? I though Yaris facelift might be in works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
1. Your intended use case actually warrants the Jazz V CVT.
Your wise decision process has made this selection extremely easy. Get the Jazz V CVT if you want a hatchback. Get a Yaris J Opt CVT if you want a sedan.
I agree that Jazz V would also suffice. But given the low cost of Jazz, I am okay to spend a little more for some smaller upgrade features in VX so that the car feels new age after using Dzire for 11 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
I'm a fan for Yaris now for it's VFM tag esp the G and J variants. You can get a full fledged sedan at the cost of a premium hatchback with most features. So my obvious suggestion is to go for G or J Yaris. As such J CVT is a wonderful option but the main miss is lack of steering mounted controls. See if your dad can manage without that.
He is using Dzire which is 11 years old. It doesn't even have bluetooth let alone steering mounted controls or auto AC. Given that context, not having these features would not matter to him as he has never used them till date. For that matter he is okay with manual also, but I am quite clear about new car to be automatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I know you have written that you are not considering Maruti cars because of their build quality, but I would still suggest you to have a look at Vitara Brezza / Urban Cruiser.
I am happy to consider UC. Is the build quality of Brezza/UC unlike usual Maruti cars? Do we have the crash rating for this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Part highlighted in BOLD itself seals the deal for Honda Jazz as the car to be picked up.
[/i][/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
My suggestion will be to stick with the Jazz primarily because your usage is entirely city-based and lugging the additional length in the lanes and parking etc. will be an issue always.
Agree with both the observations, but there is one additional factor to be considered which I haven't mentioned in the post. I think deep down my father values only sedan to be a true car (car should look like a car = sedan). Being a senior govt. employee throughout this life, he has had chauffeur driven sedans and Ambys. I know this is not rational, but then if he is the end user, I want to keep this in mind also.
manish84 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 10:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Unless he doesn't like Maruti service, why not Vitara Brezza since it is 4* rated in the NCAP tests. He might appreciate the tall seating in the Brezza more than Jazz, Yaris, or the City.

Also explore the Toyota Urban Cruiser or Maruti S-Cross if he wants something more unique.
Quote:

here is the dilemma:

A. We really like Jazz VX CVT, but for 90k more we are getting Yaris J Opt CVT which is a bigger car and bigger engine (=better masking of CVT shortcomings)
B. If we consider Yaris G Opt CVT, then it is just about 1.15 lakh away from City V CVT which is the segment leader
There's no end to this kind of comparison. There might be 30 variants of 15 car models in this price range you mentioned and things can get very confusing very quickly. I get a feeling that you want a small but spacious car - City & Yaris can be difficult to park in smaller spaces.

Good luck!

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 16th December 2020 at 10:50.
landcruiser123 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 11:00   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Unless he doesn't like Maruti service, why not Vitara Brezza since it is 4* rated in the NCAP tests. He might appreciate the tall seating in the Brezza more than Jazz, Yaris, or the City.

Also explore the Toyota Urban Cruiser or Maruti S-Cross if he wants something more unique.
4 star in NCAP; so I missed UC/Brezza being better built than Baleno and other Marutis. I would definitely consider them. Would incline towards UC then as the front grill looks better and I believe Toyota is more customer friendly than Maruti. Thanks for the suggestion.
manish84 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 11:31   #12
KPR
BANNED

Re: CVT Automatic car for dad - Honda Jazz vs Toyota Yaris

Quote:
but there is one additional factor to be considered which I haven't mentioned in the post. I think deep down my father values only sedan to be a true car (car should look like a car = sedan). Being a senior govt. employee throughout this life, he has had chauffeur driven sedans and Ambys. I know this is not rational, but then if he is the end user, I want to keep this in mind also.
Then the selection should be among Yaris and City. I don't see any other car that may suit his and your need. I prefer not to go for any other sub 4m car as 10L is not a small price you pay for.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 12:43   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Agree with both the observations, but there is one additional factor to be considered which I haven't mentioned in the post. I think deep down my father values only sedan to be a true car (car should look like a car = sedan). Being a senior govt. employee throughout this life, he has had chauffeur driven sedans and Ambys. I know this is not rational, but then if he is the end user, I want to keep this in mind also.
If a sedan does come into picture, then I shall suggest the Toyota Yaris G OPT CVT without a doubt, a better 'overall' car in comparison.

Always get the variant that is better equipped and when available that is a no-brainer. You may not feel the need of any particular feature at the moment but later it may be helpful.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 13:15   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I can totally relate to this feeling myself. Somehow, the hatchbacks and cross-overs don't appeal to me as much. (Am I getting too old, at least mentally? )

Since you have mentioned that your budget is up to Rs. 15 lakhs, and since you have added that it's the least of your constraints, I might wholeheartedly recommend the City V CVT, given that your dad prefers a sedan.

Reasons:
  1. The fifth generation City was released just this year. You don't have to worry about a facelift or the next generation coming anytime soon.
  2. From my personal experience of owning a City automatic for over 8 years as my daily driver, I can attest to its fuss free ownership experience. Given that your father is 71 years old, and since you seem to prefer hassle free ownership, I expect the City to serve your needs well.
  3. You can also expect a good re-sale value, in case you wish to sell the car in the future. I'm not sure you can expect the same from the Yaris, given it's lower sales figures. This factor just future proofs your purchase.
  4. You get the reverse camera, which should take care of your point about ease of parking. You don't get this with the J Opt or G Opt variants of the Yaris.
The ease of ingress and egress is the only factor that might go against the choice of both the City and the Yaris, and tilt the decision in favor of the Vitara Brezza/Urban Cruiser.
FlashMustang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 15:13   #15
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
but there is one additional factor to be considered which I haven't mentioned in the post. I think deep down my father values only sedan to be a true car (car should look like a car = sedan). Being a senior govt. employee throughout this life, he has had chauffeur driven sedans and Ambys. I know this is not rational, but then if he is the end user, I want to keep this in mind also.
This pretty much seals the deal. All else aside, a car is also an aspirational purchase and your dad would rather be seen around in a Yaris / City.

Any reason the Sonet and Urban Cruiser are not in contention as you mentioned bad roads etc.
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks