Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2020, 08:01   #46
BHPian

Re: CVT Automatic car for dad - Honda Jazz vs Toyota Yaris

After almost deciding to buy S-cross, two issues are not letting us make a final decision:

1. Back of my mind I am not convinced about the ancient 4 speed TC in a 13 lakh car
2. Deep in the heart, my dad wants a 3 boxer as casually mentioned by him over the dinner table last evening

If I remove S-cross and Jazz from the list, essentially it becomes a Yaris G Opt CVT vs City V CVT decision. The issue with small towns and its traffic is that the moment you step out of showroom, it feels like a crime to drive a brand new 15 lakhs car on bad roads, congested traffic, unruly 2 wheelers and freely roaming cows. Your 11 year old car seems like the best thing as you no longer care about the next scratch.

Even though money is not a constraint in current situation, I think one should stick to spending the minimum to avoid any heartburn later for the poor external environment the car faces. I would tilt in favor of Yaris if the price difference is significant from City. Toyota GM has been calling my dad everyday and has offered to even come to our residence to finalise the price. I guess we should do that
manish84 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 08:48   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
2. Deep in the heart, my dad wants a 3 boxer as casually mentioned by him over the dinner table last evening

Even though money is not a constraint in current situation, I think one should stick to spending the minimum to avoid any heartburn later for the poor external environment the car faces. I would tilt in favor of Yaris if the price difference is significant from City. Toyota GM has been calling my dad everyday and has offered to even come to our residence to finalise the price. I guess we should do that
What is a 3 boxer?

Go for the Yaris, it's a slow mover and it's bound to come with massive discounts. If the GM himself is keen on selling it, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about.
Sreesh1009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 08:59   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
What is a 3 boxer?
Oh, I meant the usual sedan build. Engine + passenger area + boot space - all 3 independent unlike hatchbacks.
Old 19th December 2020, 09:24   #49
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
If I remove S-cross and Jazz from the list, essentially it becomes a Yaris G Opt CVT vs City V CVT decision. The issue with small towns and its traffic is that the moment you step out of showroom, it feels like a crime to drive a brand new 15 lakhs car on bad roads, congested traffic, unruly 2 wheelers and freely roaming cows.
I know I'm writing that may be out of contention for your new buy. Why not TD Ignis AMT? AMT isn't as bad as many complain about. It's quite enjoyable once used to the dynamics of it. The 4 pot engine is a gem in it. The car is simply made for abuse. Aged person ingress egress check. Reliability check. Fun factor design check (it actually grows on even younger gen as it is mod friendly). Ample space check. Pocket friendly check. The only doubt will be at safety but your father's drive is mostly within the city than highways. Moreover Indian made Ignis has got a decent 3 star in GNCAP. It's suspension is a bit European and you can simply speed through pot holes as compared to other MS cars. If possible have a look at it. In fact delta variant is decently packed with steering mounted controls in it.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 09:33   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After almost deciding to buy S-cross, two issues are not letting us make a final decision:

1. Back of my mind I am not convinced about the ancient 4 speed TC in a 13 lakh car

If I remove S-cross and Jazz from the list, essentially it becomes a Yaris G Opt CVT vs City V CVT decision. The issue with small towns and its traffic is that the moment you step out of showroom, it feels like a crime to drive a brand new 15 lakhs car on bad roads, congested traffic, unruly 2 wheelers and freely roaming cows. Your 11 year old car seems like the best thing as you no longer care about the next scratch.

It seems as if you are trying very hard to minimise emotional gratification without actually saving any big money in return. The only thing that sticks out in your thread to me is that your dad deserves a nice car and you are ignoring the elephant in the room. All your options are perfectly sensible options, the only thing that differentiates these cars is emotion. If you don't want to be "penny wise, pound foolish", you should buy his top choice and tell him to have fun without worrying about dings and scratches (main hoon na). That would be Honda City btw.

Last edited by androdev : 19th December 2020 at 09:39.
androdev is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 09:46   #51

Why not consider Ecosport AT. Wonderful car and good automatic transmission too. Also, considering your fathers age, getting in and out of low slung sedans and hatch backs would be cumbersome. If not now definitely in the future. The Ecosport is a safe car too with 6 airbags and lot of other safety equipment. Even if you don’t consider the Ecosport, my suggestion would be to consider a CSUV for the ease of ingress and egress.
Mad4bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 10:07   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The issue with small towns and its traffic
1. same here, definitely a downer.
2. discuss it straight up with him.

Small town traffic
I will share my own experience of buying a car for dad(63) which he has to drive everyday to work through small-town traffic(9kms one way).
Moving over from the Matiz, we all liked the Polo, but my dad wasn't comfortable with the long front. His point was that it's a nice car but it will require too much effort in traffic. Also, one day he told he wanted an Indian car because after running around to find spares and mechanic for our Matiz, he didn't trust foreign manufacturers as to when they'll decide to shut shop(effectively Hyundai is considered Indian). Also we ended up with a limiting factor on garage width and he didn't want to be inch perfect when parking it, a fair point which junked the Tiago. So left with Alto and Wagon R we got the WagonR VXi.

4 years down he is completely happy with the car. He was even okay with a clutch burn at 15k kms saying "it happens, see the traffic". Although he doesn't like scratches he is fine with them now since they're unavoidable. Just after taking delivery a biker had rear ended it, so that was clear from the start
Today when I drive through that traffic, I understand his point.

Although I would've never bought this car but when I see my dad retuning home with the radio playing, the power steering and windows making his life much easier, I can say that it is perfect car for us.

Apologies for this elaborate example what I wanted to highlight with my own experience was that explain him all the sides to the story, let him take multiple TDs in front and rear seats, but in the end let him choose the car he decides on. He will be happier.

Worst case if whatever you get isn't working out, you can always change to something which fits better.
Its not a lifelong commitment, you will lose some money in resale, that's it.

And between the City and Yaris I recommend the City.
I think City is the better car if the two. Yaris ranks lower as a car but they are pushing it as a competitor to City by features and pricing.

Hope it helps and good luck.

Last edited by shancz : 19th December 2020 at 10:24. Reason: missed info added
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 10:41   #53
Senior - BHPian

Read all the 4 pages of this thread. Whats the usage pattern? Daily and monthly running? Frequency of highway run?

Does Bhilwara get waterlogged post rains for a day or two? Like Jodhpur (if you know what I mean). A crossover (S-Cross) or SUV is a better option in that case compared to a low sedan.

Manish, if somewhere in your heart, you want a 3 box / sedan for your father, go for Yaris instead of Honda City. City will fetch higher resale in current scenario but who knows 10 years from now. The extra saved in Yaris can be used for fuel, service etc. Though money is not a constraint for either, City still costs a lot more and is placed towards high end of your budget.

If sedan is not a must, buy S-Cross. The 4.3m car is spacious at the back, has a rear seat that sits higher than front, giving a very good back seat experience.

All cars in your shortlist are good for your requirements. I have lived in Jodhpur for 3 years so I understand what you mean by careless 2 wheelers.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 19th December 2020 at 10:46.
PaddleShifter is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 11:25   #54
BHPian

Quote:
It seems to boil down to the Yaris and the City. These factors cannot be ignored.
Quote:
The issue with small towns and its traffic is that the moment you step out of showroom, it feels like a crime to drive a brand new 15 lakhs car on bad roads, congested traffic, unruly 2 wheelers and freely roaming cows.
This is inevitable. All of us dreaded the scratches even in city limits, until the first few. Thereafter, we accept that as a reality. It's hard to let this prevent us from enjoying a car. It would hardly make a difference if it happens either on a Yaris or a City.

Quote:
As others have suggested, definitely have your dad test drive both of the cars. In the end, he would be using it the most. It would be very important for him to like the car to enjoy it while he uses it.

In these matters, the heart has a lot of sway. Though not directly comparable, I had an experience with my bicycle purchase involving my heart, which also influenced how I went with my car purchase later on in life.

My parents were about to buy me a new bicycle. The plan was for me to learn to ride it after buying it. Just before my parents could purchase it, a relative of ours strongly suggested buying a used bicycle, given that it might encounter a few falls, and get damaged a bit. Very valid, convincing and a rational suggestion. My parents bought me a used bicycle. The outcome: I did try learning on it, and use it. But, my heart was not in it, and it stayed parked at home, hardly ever getting used. I didn't learn riding the bicycle. Consequently, I continued walking to school and never used it. After about a year, my parents sold the old bicycle, and bought me a new one. Within a week, I learned riding it. Sure enough, I had a fall or two, but, nothing major happened to the bicycle nor were any looks affected by those incidents. In fact, I was a lot more careful with it, and was taking good care of it. I ended up using the new bicycle a lot, using it for going to school and back home every day, and for everything else.

I took the lesson from this experience, and when it came time to purchase my first car, I went with a new car. And, every time I use it till date, it brings a smile to my face. Sure, my only driving experience prior to buying it was from the driving classes. Sure, I heard a lot of useful advice about buying a used car, gaining confidence from driving it, getting past the scratches and dents phase, and then getting a new car. But, deep within, I knew it would be a repeat of my experience with my bicycle.

Long story short, in purchases such as cars, it's important to listen to the heart and not ignore the emotions. It could make or break the ownership and usage experience. It would be important to buy the car that your dad likes, at the end of the day, despite any rational decision making factors.
All the best with your purchase, whichever one you choose to buy!
FlashMustang is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 12:16   #55
BHPian

Yaris is a good car which didn't sell well due to greedy attitude of TKM. But I would suggest to pick one from Jazz or City instead of Yaris.

Yes Yaris is a good/safe/reliable/satisfying car but I suspect that TKM would not be launching the next generation in India, they would mostly be pulling it out soon , as they have the plans to launch the MSL Ciaz version of Toyota. I don't see a future for Yaris when there is a cheaper Ciaz version of Toyota.

Go for the City if budget and parking allows , otherwise the Jazz which is a fantastic allrounder.

Last edited by kamilharis : 19th December 2020 at 12:17.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 09:10   #56
BHPian

Here is my advise after owning Honda & Toyota brands in the past. Go any day ahead with Toyota. We have had Toyota Liva Diesel in the past, the cars are fuss free. My brake pads never got changed even after clocking 1 lac km. That is the quality Toyota gives. Honda on the other hand just has an aspirational value. The cars have poor build, service costs are way too high and after your warranty is over the dealer will try to rip off (from my personal experience and amongst my friends).
Go with Yaris if it is Jazz vs Yaris. Else I would recommend viewing Mahinda XUV300 it has 5 star rating also have a look at Nexon. Nexon now does not have so many niggles you can check teambhp ownership reviews.
From maruti stable Scross and Brezza can be checked out. They have a different platform and are 4 star rated. Maruti cars will give you more peace of mind than Honda and build quality is more or less same. Urban cruiser from Toyota can also be checked just cross badging between Maruti and Toyota.
I have a baleno CVT and from my experience of owning TC and DSG, TC is any day better than CVT. That is why I would say do check out XUV300, Nexon, Brezza/Urban cruiser, Scross and if mileage is not a concern have a look at Ford Ecosport (AT).
TJ02 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 09:55   #57
anb
BHPian

I will pick Jazz CVT over Yaris since the requirement is a city car to drive through narrow roads. The sedan is difficult drive and park compared to the hatchback. In addition to that, Jazz has more than sufficient boot space
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 12:29   #58
BHPian

Decision made - S-cross

Thanks everyone for the inputs. We considered all the parameters and finally have decided to go ahead with S-cross. Here is the reasoning:

1. Toyota - did not like the interior in comparison to S-cross, dashboard was a bit too high and there is risk of Yaris being discontinued in favor of Ciaz.

2. Jazz - space constraint might be felt on highway drives. My mom had a valid point that a bigger car may inspire to take a few more highway rides.

3. City - was never really comfortable with the pricing and size

4. S-cross: The title of the thread was a 4.5m sedan vs 4m hatchback and eventually a crossover turned out to be the middle ground at 4.3m.

Also, given the Nexa dealer is a family friend we have a lot more comfort in dealing with him for initial sale and future services. We have already inspected the exact piece we would be buying and everything seems to be fine. TC gearbox is the only negative but I guess its fine for my dad's sedate driving style.

Will make a booking this week and take delivery on 01 Jan 2021 (date basis the list of auspicious days). Here is a pic - looks sweet

CVT Automatic car for dad - Honda Jazz vs Toyota Yaris-scross.jpeg
manish84 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 12:45   #59
Senior - BHPian

Jazz and space constraints? I find cabin space more in Jazz than SCross due to cab forward design. Rear seat is really comfortable for 3 people. Boot space is 354 in Jazz versus 353 in Scross.
Latheesh is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 15:15   #60
Senior - BHPian

Re: Decision made - S-cross

Quote:
S-cross: The title of the thread was a 4.5m sedan vs 4m hatchback and eventually a crossover turned out to be the middle ground at 4.3m.
Will make a booking this week and take delivery on 01 Jan 2021 (date basis the list of auspicious days). Here is a pic - looks sweet
Congratulations, so my feeling was right
Quite interesting to see how S-Cross wasn't even in consideration and then became the decision. That's we love TBHP.
Or could be a "machine chose me" moment

But jokes apart, good choice, I would have got the same. Dealer being a family friend is just an icing on the cake. The car looks good already.
Do share some cool pics when you take delivery. Looking forward to your ownership/service experience too.

Happy Motoring.

Last edited by shancz : 20th December 2020 at 15:16. Reason: formatting
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks